Samsung Galaxy S6 comes with 56 apps preinstalled, including Instagram & Microsoft OneDrive

Comments

• Reply 41 of 101
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Has anyone noticed that Samsung seem to be favouring some Microsoft products and services on the S6 rather than Google's offerings?  One Note, Skype, One Drive.

I would hardly call One Drive bloat ware when you get 115Gb of free storage with it for 2 years.

Might be fun to have an S6 Edge and install windows 10 on it if that ROM Microsoft have developed gets out.

• Reply 42 of 101
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    sflocal wrote: »
    This just shows the sign of the times for Samsung.  TouchWiz was already a bloated, steaming pile of crapola, but now they are taking kickbacks from 3rd-parties to pre-install crapware?  Did they not learn ANYTHING about pre-installed crap on PC's all these years?

Samsung's in high gear going downhill.

The problem is there's zero money to be made making Android phones! Android is also has the cheap rap, so to get people buying expensive Android phones and still make any profit, you have to install 3rd party apps that you get paid to install.

No one can make any money once the hardware is either. Like Amazon does with forked version of Android. Everyone wants to use Google's services. So really the only one winning with Android is Google. Well except in China where it's all forked Android and Google has very little presence.

This is why Apple is making close to 90% of the smartphone profits, with Samsung making most of what's left!!! That's pretty bad. How long can company's go breaking even, Razer thin profits or losing money? Try and out last everyone else and then increase prices to start making some money.

I'm not at all surprised what Samsung is doing which is why they are at least making some money with Android. I think this will become far, far more common with everyone else also.

While I'd like to remove a little Apple bloat, that's first party bloat, not 3rd party bloat which is far worse.
  • Reply 43 of 101
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Has anyone noticed that Samsung seem to be favouring some Microsoft products and services on the S6 rather than Google's offerings?  One Note, Skype, One Drive.

I would hardly call One Drive bloat ware when you get 115Gb of free storage with it for 2 years.

Might be fun to have an S6 Edge and install windows 10 on it if that ROM Microsoft have developed gets out.

Samsung used to pay Microsoft for the use of their patents, this could be a deal to change that agreement?

• Reply 44 of 101
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    satchmo wrote: »
    I still can't believe the uncanny resemblance of this phone to the iPhone 6/6plus.
    How can the design lead at Samsung even look at himself in the mirror.

I think Samsung's lead designer is Jony Ive.
  • Reply 45 of 101
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member

When I see this, I think of the fact that Apple is also guilty of this (as mentioned), and at least 1/4 of the 16GB model’s storage is dedicated to iOS and its non-essential apps. I counted 26 apps I could do without. Of the 31 non-removable apps, I counted Setting, Messages, Contacts, Phone & App Store as essential. I use other apps that replace Calculator, Calendar, Camera, Clock, Mail, Maps, Notes, Reminders, Safari & Weather, and I wish I could map the alternate apps I use as the default. If they allowed users to remove apps, such as those I never use, like Apple Watch, Calculator, Calendar, Camera, Clock, Health, iBooks, iTunes Store, Maps, Newsstand, Notes, Podcasts, Passbook, Reminders, Stocks, Tips, Videos and Voice Memos; then maybe the default footprint would be less. However, this might be good news for the next iPhones & iPads:

Considering that Samsung’s flagship base model starts at 32GB, this might encourage Apple to upgrade their base models to 32GB too if Samsung makes a stink about it — I hope they do. Why? It seems that Apple is only making significant hardware improvements to one up competitors when they lag behind so they appear to laymen as competitive. The funny thing is iOS is leaps and bounds superior to Android thanks to its Frameworks and APIs that make banging out apps child’s play for anyone with a bit of programming knowledge. If you don’t believe me check out what has to be done to add accessibility options to Android Apps vs. iOS apps.

• Reply 46 of 101
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

I still can't believe the uncanny resemblance of this phone to the iPhone 6/6plus.

How can the design lead at Samsung even look at himself in the mirror.

Easy - he sees Johnny Ive...

(sorry to piggy-back)

• Reply 47 of 101
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

I haven't owned an Android since I bought my iPhone 4S years ago so a little out of the loop. Does that mean these apps are still impossible to remove without rooting? The last Android phone I owned I rooted to free up space from pre-installed bloatware.

I am guessing Instagram and Microsoft are paying for this privilege. 

• Reply 48 of 101
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Only 56? Dissapointing. Was hoping for at least 80. No buy. 

Seriously, this goes to show how little Samsung has learned about Apple's philosophies, even while they try to emulate them on the surface. Android, infected with Samsung's garbage touchwiz layer, and then 3rd party trash and services thrown on top. 

• Reply 49 of 101
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

What's the toll in space?

It's the storage not the literal number of apps that is the more specific issue. Unless you couldn't just tuck all that irrelevance away in a single folder, having to wade through pages of irrelevancy would totally bite.

• Reply 50 of 101
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    woochifer wrote: »
    Not everyone uses the phone as their primary way of communicating. The Contacts app saves the extra step if you're texting or e-mailing someone. Contacts also stores the snail mail, FaceTime, and other social media links. I don't think I've ever accessed contacts within the Phone app. I just go to the Contacts app first, no matter if I'm calling, texting, e-mailing, or FaceTiming someone.

What extra step? The contacts app is literally exactly the same as the phone app except it has the keypad, favorites, recents, and voicemail tabs removed. It adds zero extra functionality; it only duplicates functionality.

In fact, I just tried a spotlight search for a contact, and when I selected one it launched the phone app rather than the contacts app.
  • Reply 51 of 101
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    noivad wrote: »
    When I see this, I think of the fact that Apple is also guilty of this (as mentioned), and at least 1/4 of the 16GB model’s storage is dedicated to iOS and its non-essential apps. I counted 26 apps I could do without. Of the 31 non-removable apps, I counted Setting, Messages, Contacts, Phone & App Store as essential. I use other apps that replace Calculator, Calendar, Camera, Clock, Mail, Maps, Notes, Reminders, Safari & Weather, and I wish I could map the alternate apps I use as the default. If they allowed users to remove apps, such as those I never use, like Apple Watch, Calculator, Calendar, Camera, Clock, Health, iBooks, iTunes Store, Maps, Newsstand, Notes, Podcasts, Passbook, Reminders, Stocks, Tips, Videos and Voice Memos; then maybe the default footprint would be less. However, this might be good news for the next iPhones & iPads:

Considering that Samsung’s flagship base model starts at 32GB, this might encourage Apple to upgrade their base models to 32GB too if Samsung makes a stink about it — I hope they do. Why? It seems that Apple is only making significant hardware improvements to one up competitors when they lag behind so they appear to laymen as competitive. The funny thing is iOS is leaps and bounds superior to Android thanks to its Frameworks and APIs that make banging out apps child’s play for anyone with a bit of programming knowledge. If you don’t believe me check out what has to be done to add accessibility options to Android Apps vs. iOS apps.
    Apple is guilty of shoving a ton of THIRD-PARTY JUNK on their phones? NO. These are APPLE'S system apps! Like Google's host of apps, Calendar, Gmail, Dialer, etcetera.

Please don't spew FUD, it's insulting.
  • Reply 52 of 101
    taniwhataniwha Posts: 347member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Jesus. This is beyond abysmal.

I don't understand why anybody here cares at all. This is not anything that represents any kind of threat to Apple. Quite on the contrary .. where I live the (unsubsidized) price of the new Samsung devices is higher than Apples 6+ and it also does away with replaceable batteries, memory expansion. Three of the "differentiating" features have been lost, so there's really no reason except perhaps for the better screen, to prefer the samsung flagships over the iPhone 6 series. 

For goodness sake, if someone wants to buy a BMW and I prefer an Audi .. there's no reason for me to think that the BMW fans are somehow stupid .. choice matters.

OTOH, if they buy a US car they really are crazy. :-).

• Reply 53 of 101
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    noivad wrote: »

I don't think it would be easy to change the defaults. Many of the apps you list are deeply integrated into iOS in a way that no third party/optional app can be. For example, the maps app feeds data to calendar, contacts/ phone, Siri, Notification Center, any app that wants a map (such as my weather radar app), and is probably responsible for generally handling location data throughout iOS.
  • Reply 54 of 101
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by noivad View Post

I don't think it would be easy to change the defaults. Many of the apps you list are deeply integrated into iOS in a way that no third party/optional app can be. For example, the maps app feeds data to calendar, contacts/ phone, Siri, Notification Center, any app that wants a map (such as my weather radar app), and is probably responsible for generally handling location data throughout iOS.

The Apps themselves are simply views into existing frameworks and data files for the most part. Maps, I seldom use, but would like the option to set another Map handler for navigation and rid myself of the icon — yes I am aware of the ability to hide it in a folder (which I have) but would also like to remove the GUI footprint of that app. Apps that call on the map framework could still show a map within the app without having the full Map App GUI. I realize the reduction is slight, but this could make a difference because many times I have seen “X could not sync because another X MB is needed.” With the App itself removed, another app could be designated to handle maps of user’s choosing.

If you have ever seen Maps try to hand off public transit navigation to another app, you know that this choosing an app to handle a task is already built into the OS. I am just asking for this mapping a task/function to other in apps instead of the built in ones to be exposed, and to all users to remove their icons and app memory footprint, not the frameworks that they use themselves.

This feature request is possible, but it probably won’t happen since Apple treats all users as if they have the same level of sophistication — which is about as far from the reality of the range of users as can be.

• Reply 55 of 101
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I thought they were gonna limit pre-installed apps? Is this the result?! Oh my.

They did limit the pre-installed apps. Samsung limited the number of pre-installed apps to as many as they could get paid for and limited your ability to remove them.

• Reply 56 of 101
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    boredumb wrote: »
    ...uh...why do these iPhones say "Samsung" across the top???

Because is not the original, is a crappy coppy of Iphone. Lol
  • Reply 57 of 101
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    On an iPhone, I never use the contacts app, just straight from the phone app. However, I presume the reason there is a separate contacts app is that not all iOS devices are iPhones. I actually use the contacts app on an iPad for example.
  • Reply 58 of 101
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Wild View Post

Rumor has it that Samsung will not be offering an unlocked U.S. Version.

All U.S. Carrier models will be locked and have limited radios to that exclusive carrier.

Big "no buy" for me!

And why do you say it here in AI?

• Reply 59 of 101
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member

Samsung apps get the "Bloatware" title is because the included apps are rushed, a bad experiences and ultimately rarely used. They're insincere efforts organised by marketing to shallowly compete with offerings from other device makers.

Now the inclusion of 3rd party apps shows that Samsung will happily sell out their customers experience and storage capacity for easy cash.

It's remarkable how they spend so much time marketing their devices as premium, only to undermine their own efforts with crapware.

• Reply 60 of 101
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Look at these ridiculous prices of these crapware filled phones

Pricing:

• Galaxy S6 32GB – $0 down + $28.33/month x 24, $679.92...but but but $649 iPhone 6 only has 4.7" screen and 16GB 

• Galaxy S6 64GB – $99.99 down + $27.50/month x 24, $759.99...but but but $749 iPhone 6 has 4.7" screen.

• Galaxy S6 128GB – $199.99 down + $27.50/month x 24, $859.99...but but but $849 iPhone 6 has 4.7" screen.

• Galaxy S6 Edge 32GB – $0 down + $32.49/month x 24, $779.76...but but but $749 iPhone 6+ has only 16GB

• Galaxy S6 Edge 64GB – $99.99 down + $31.66/month x 24, $859.83...but but but $849 iPhone 6+ doesn't have Edge display

• Galaxy S6 Edge 128GB – $199.99 down + $31.66/month x 24, $959.83...but but but $949 iPhone 6+ doesn't have Edge disp.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/03/26/samsung-galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge-us-pricing-and-availability/

Utter POS and cost more than iPhone?  They will probably sell as much as they can the first few weeks to the hopeless android nerds and then do BOGO deals after that.

Assume I were a fandroid, I fixed these for you.