Apple's new MacBook employs unorthodox keyboard design to achieve maximum thinness

Comments

• Reply 41 of 104
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    shogun wrote: »
    How long until each key gets a tactic engine under it? 3 years? 5? By then there will be no throw at all.

I can't wait for taptic engine and force touch to come to iPad in some way.
  • Reply 42 of 104
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    cws wrote: »
    Can someone help answer this question: With just one USB-C port that functions both for charging and for video output, does that mean that I would need to allow the battery to drain down if I choose to connect to an external monitor? Or does is there some way to keep the machine connected to power while also connecting it to an external monitor? This is not an issue with my current MacBook Pro, of course, because the video-out and power-in are separate ports.

Both the video adapters (vga & hdmi) also include another usb-c port for power and a usb-a port for data. The downside is they cost $80 each... Hopefully there will be less expensive options hitting the market soon.
  • Reply 43 of 104
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    iaeen wrote: »
    Both the video adapters (vga & hdmi) also include another usb-c port for power and a usb-a port for data. The downside is they cost $80 each... Hopefully there will be less expensive options hitting the market soon.

I would expect less expensive options, but I'd guess those adapters have a "computer" onboard, which affects the price greatly. I make that assumption looking at that the adapters for the Chromebook Pixel, which are $40 each for a USB-C-to-HDMI and USB-C-to-DisplayPort, while only $13 of the USB-C-to-USB-A adapter. They don't have a multiport solution like Apple.
  • Reply 44 of 104
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You seem obsessed with VAG. image

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It starts around 12-13 for boys.

And some girls!

• Reply 45 of 104
    cwscws Posts: 59member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

Thanks!

• Reply 46 of 104
    I switched off at 'maximum thinness'.

Seriously: to switch on, try 'minimalism'.
  • Reply 47 of 104
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cws View Post

Can someone help answer this question: With just one USB-C port that functions both for charging and for video output, does that mean that I would need to allow the battery to drain down if I choose to connect to an external monitor? Or does is there some way to keep the machine connected to power while also connecting it to an external monitor? This is not an issue with my current MacBook Pro, of course, because the video-out and power-in are separate ports.

This was covered ad nauseum on the day the new MacBook was announced. Check the Apple store specs:

- VGA output using the USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter or

- HDMI video output using USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter

Charging through the USB-C port, I/O through a USB-A port and video output. They're $79 ea, but being USB dongles, expect third-party equivalents at much lower prices, and variable quality, shortly after the MacBook ships.

• Reply 48 of 104
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RPT View Post

You are quite right, planned a new one, but I shall stick to my mid 2011 MBA, hoping things will improve!

I quite see the improvement in the new USB, but Apple could have included an old USB to ease the transition, and to me having to choose charging or connection in combination with the slow processor makes this look like the 1st generation MBA; Promises of what to come.

No, you don't have to "choose charging or connection", it will do both at the same time.

• Reply 49 of 104
    steveh wrote: »
    No, you don't have to "choose charging or connection", it will do both at the same time.

1) I think he means only one at a time sans buying a multi-port adapter since it only has one port.

2) if one feels they will need the multi-port adapter often I don't think they are ideal candidates for this product.
  • Reply 50 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

1) I think he means only one at a time sans buying an ad later since it only has one port.

2) if one feels they will need the multi-port adapter often I don't think they are ideal candidates for this product.

The lightning to HDMI adapter has a redundant lightning connector so I can charge my iPad or iPhone while it outputs a video signal to HDMI. Same for the lightning-to-VGA adapter. If Apple had put two or more USB-C connectors, which one would be used to charge the MacBook? Either? Or Both? Should the MacBook charge faster if power is fed into more than one USB-C connector? Apple's single universal connector makes things easier, like a single-button mouse.

• Reply 51 of 104
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    The apple display needs to be upgraded to properly complement this device. If it could power up the MacBook while also serving as a thunderbolt (for other machines), usb3 and yes, FireWire hub with a 5k screen, who here wouldn't buy one? A single cable will do all.

Post spec: could this thing run a 5k external?

Further speculation: Realistically the display would have HDMI, Ethernet, two thunderbolt, two USB 3 and four USB C.

This would also be the ports in next iMac.
  • Reply 52 of 104
    rptrpt Posts: 175member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by steveH View Post

With some ridiculously costly adaptor?

I have been a happy Mac owner since the eighties, seen a couple of instances where Apply has stumbled just short of making a great product. This looks like one of these, but I have no doubt Apple will make it, still to me this looks like a half-baked product!

• Reply 53 of 104
    I read that article in the voice of Jony ive.
  • Reply 54 of 104
    rpt wrote: »
    I have been a happy Mac owner since the eighties, seen a couple of instances where Apply has stumbled just short of making a great product. This looks like one of these, but I have no doubt Apple will make it, still to me this looks like a half-baked product!

You see it as a half-baked product because you don't realize it's for people that will almost always only ever use the power cable to charge. People said Apple removing the ethernet port from the current MBP design was going to doom them. I bought the RJ-45-to-TB adapter, just in case, and I've only used a couple of times. The average consumer doesn't ever use Ethernet for their portable. The new MB just takes it to the next level of wireless portability. If it doesn't work for you, that's perfectly fine, but don't say it's half-baked because it wasn't designed to fit your usage needs.
  • Reply 55 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The lightning to HDMI adapter has a redundant lightning connector so I can charge my iPad or iPhone while it outputs a video signal to HDMI. Same for the lightning-to-VGA adapter. If Apple had put two or more USB-C connectors, which one would be used to charge the MacBook? Either? Or Both? Should the MacBook charge faster if power is fed into more than one USB-C connector? Apple's single universal connector makes things easier, like a single-button mouse.

Are you telling me that the owner of the Mac is so stupid he can't pick the right port for charging, or that Apple is so stupid that it can't sort out the precedence in SW! Universal: Yes, single: No way an improvement!

This is the kind of comment that feeds the trolls that imply that the Apple crowd will accept anything!

• Reply 56 of 104
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RPT View Post

The computer is $1200 ... how the adapter "ridiculously costly?"  If $80 is an issue, then you're a MBA candidate.  Also, like Soli says, if you are reliant on this adapter then you are a MBA candidate.

But I think you're right in that it will improve.  In a year or two the MB will be $999 with 2 USB-C ports (and Apple/Beats will probably have USB-C headphones by then)

• Reply 57 of 104
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dugbug View Post

If you need more than just power on the road I'd skip this laptop but there are going up be dozens of usbc hubs that for the mothership location at home will make port counting irrelevant

The hubs will probably be a little pricy at first because they will need to be powered and have some computing capabilities of their own to serve multiple protocols and power through the USB-C port. And everyone is still going to be using regular USB A memory sticks for a few more years so you will probably need a dongle for that. Also it will be awhile before you can expect USB-C monitors to be standard.

People who buy this new MB will need a host of adapters.

• Reply 58 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

You see it as a half-baked product because you don't realize it's for people that will almost always only ever use the power cable to charge. People said Apple removing the ethernet port from the current MBP design was going to doom them. I bought the RJ-45-to-TB adapter, just in case, and I've only used a couple of times. The average consumer doesn't ever use Ethernet for their portable. The new MB just takes it to the next level of wireless portability. If it doesn't work for you, that's perfectly fine, but don't say it's half-baked because it wasn't designed to fit your usage needs.

Haven't used the RJ-45 since 2009, have owned at least 20 Mac's, give or take, currently 6 in my household. Have jumped over a couple, and to me this looks like a jumper. Still good to be able to charge my iPhones, use an obsolete stick, or hook up an old-fashioned camera or harddrive from time to time. Wouldn't be a problem if that stuff was all wireless, but there will still be some stone-age technology around, even if Apple has moved on.

• Reply 59 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

The computer is $1200 ... how the adapter "ridiculously costly?"  If $80 is an issue, then you're a MBA candidate.  Also, like Soli says, if you are reliant on this adapter then you are a MBA candidate.

But I think you're right in that it will improve.  In a year or two the MB will be $999 with 2 USB-C ports (and Apple/Beats will probably have USB-C headphones by then)

Have absolutely no doubt that a year from now I will buy the product, which will then be right. But 80 bucks is a rip-off, couldn't care less about the amount, but i dont accept to be ripped off! And I shall still like to connect my 1000 bucks Grado Statement headphones at that time, not the Beats crap!

• Reply 60 of 104
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I would expect less expensive options, but I'd guess those adapters have a "computer" onboard, which affects the price greatly. I make that assumption looking at that the adapters for the Chromebook Pixel, which are $40 each for a USB-C-to-HDMI and USB-C-to-DisplayPort, while only $13 of the USB-C-to-USB-A adapter. They don't have a multiport solution like Apple.

I realize all this, but a guy can hope.

I don't know who I'm kidding though, I'll probably end up getting the Apple adapters.