Review: Apple's all-new 12" MacBook with Retina display

Comments

• Reply 61 of 89
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    All I know is if I can't get MagSafe on a MacBook, I know what I have to do. It sucks but what else can we do. It's pretty stupid killing one of the best inventions Apple ever had. I had 6 MacBooks from the 1990s to around 2003 and 4 had problems with their connections to the power cable, 2 Pismos. I don't how many PC laptops I have seen with broken power connectors, like 50? ok no 30-ish? Please, MagSafe is best thing Apple did to make their Laptops THE BEST in the business. Every time I ever thought of buying a PC I was like "but this PC doesn't have MagSafe and eventually I will have to get the power connector fix, cause it's plastic and will break and that will be the end of the Laptop" after 100 plugs and unplugs. I don't know I don't think it's going to completely go away quickly. It'll be awhile, hopefully, this is like the Lightning Connector for iPhone but for MacBooks (USB-C). But they'll have non-iOS-ish-MacBooks, that will have the full suite of connectors, like the Pro line, or even the Air line. Hopefully... I mean think about this do you think they will just make Mac Pros with 4 USB-C? and that's all? or an iMac with 2 USB-C? That would be stupid! Right? Cause I mean if you are going to plug a keyboard in, you would have to buy an $80 adapter? nah nah man not me.
  • Reply 62 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzyswan View Post

They didn't even mention that the FaceTime Camera is only 480p, not even HD...... I was surprised there's no mention of this at all....... I don't understand why they didn't launch with an FaceTime HD Camera, fine of at least 720p...... it's nice to have the Retina Display, but one of the greatest things about the iPad is FaceTiming family and seeing them on the screen as if they were right in front of you........ I guess Apple didn't think the camera was all that important, just sayin'

Exactly! Going 480p in 2015 is pathetic. No excuses for the single port either. Looks like a nine month minimum wait for a refresh unfortunately; on can only hope they will come to their senses as they did with the MBA. Jony, get a grip please... :rolleyes: 

• Reply 63 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by koolhaas View Post

Exactly! Going 480p in 2015 is pathetic. No excuses for the single port either. Looks like a nine month minimum wait for a refresh unfortunately; on can only hope they will come to their senses as they did with the MBA. Jony, get a grip please... :rolleyes: 

Every computer has compromises, if you like doing hi-res selfies or if you want to use it for HD podcast production.... then yes this camera might be a compromise too fiendish to ignore....   As far as one port... meh... so what... iPads have one port (and less functional) and they have sold 200 million units....  if it is a deal breaker for you.... well that is your problem...   I estimated that they could have quite possibly sold 200,000 units in the first weekend based on supply constrained sale estimates and delivery estimates of around 5+ weeks.... which one person took issue with.  Unfortunately we don't have the real numbers for the first weekend (and may never) but one company statistically estimating from e-receipts said first day US only sales were 48,000 units....   So Jony might actually have a better grip on reality than you give him credit for :p

• Reply 64 of 89
    rezwits wrote: »
    All I know is if I can't get MagSafe on a MacBook, I know what I have to do. It sucks but what else can we do. It's pretty stupid killing one of the best inventions Apple ever had. I had 6 MacBooks from the 1990s to around 2003 and 4 had problems with their connections to the power cable, 2 Pismos. I don't how many PC laptops I have seen with broken power connectors, like 50? ok no 30-ish? Please, MagSafe is best thing Apple did to make their Laptops THE BEST in the business. Every time I ever thought of buying a PC I was like "but this PC doesn't have MagSafe and eventually I will have to get the power connector fix, cause it's plastic and will break and that will be the end of the Laptop" after 100 plugs and unplugs. I don't know I don't think it's going to completely go away quickly. It'll be awhile, hopefully, this is like the Lightning Connector for iPhone but for MacBooks (USB-C). But they'll have non-iOS-ish-MacBooks, that will have the full suite of connectors, like the Pro line, or even the Air line. Hopefully... I mean think about this do you think they will just make Mac Pros with 4 USB-C? and that's all? or an iMac with 2 USB-C? That would be stupid! Right? Cause I mean if you are going to plug a keyboard in, you would have to buy an $80 adapter? nah nah man not me.

Remember the new MacBook is meant for a particular type of consumer and its all about design and its lightweight so not including Magsafe in it makes since. This is not the case for Apple's MacBook Pro which emphasizes power over weight and design. It will continue to have plenty of ports such as hdmi, SD reader, Thunderbolt, usb-c. Etc. As far as MagSafe is concerned its continual use is probably based on whether able will utilize the wireless charging feature that's built into Intel's Skylake processor coming out in the fall. If they use this then MagSafe is no longer necessary for any of their future laptops. However, if they don't activate this feature then MagSafe will probably live on in the Air and Pro laptops for the near future.
  • Reply 65 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bkkcanuck View Post

Every computer has compromises, if you like doing hi-res selfies or if you want to use it for HD podcast production.... then yes this camera might be a compromise too fiendish to ignore....   As far as one port... meh... so what... iPads have one port (and less functional) and they have sold 200 million units....  if it is a deal breaker for you.... well that is your problem...   I estimated that they could have quite possibly sold 200,000 units in the first weekend based on supply constrained sale estimates and delivery estimates of around 5+ weeks.... which one person took issue with.  Unfortunately we don't have the real numbers for the first weekend (and may never) but one company statistically estimating from e-receipts said first day US only sales were 48,000 units....   So Jony might actually have a better grip on reality than you give him credit for :p

I did not say it's anybody else's problem, mate... ;) However, the very chunky dongle is Jony's problem, which has been resolved way under par. Having a low-res camera this day and age is a compromise one would expect from a PC manufacturer. Somehow, Apple breeds the belief they do better and make next to no compromises. IMHO - these two were unnecessary, especially considering the price point. ? 

• Reply 66 of 89
    They should have include an adapter to connect your USB or thunderbolt hard drive if they wanted to stick with a type C connector. The macbook air 13" is great. I only wished they would have put a retina display on the 13" macbook air
  • Reply 67 of 89

This is perhaps, by all means, one of the most coherent observations about the reviews that overflow the web. 

• Reply 68 of 89
    eclecl Posts: 5member

I have to agree that USB-C is a step backwards from MagSafe. If they could have incorporated the multi-use features (power, video, data) into MagSafe that would have been vastly preferable.

But one thing I really like is that they have separated the cord from the power brick. The most common thing I have replaced on all my portable Macs is the power adapter and it has ALWAYS been because the cord insulation has failed over time. Having the cord plug into the brick instead of being permanently attached is a huge improvement (wish it was also MagSafe though).

I will not buy this laptop and will stick with MacBook Airs; however, I am going to hold off to see if MagSafe disappears from all MacBooks before buying another one.

thx

ed

• Reply 69 of 89
    dlynzz wrote: »
    I had hoped to purchase the new MacBook specifically for work. The portability is just what I need, BUT, the single port is a deal breaker! In my work I do presentations occasionally, which require I hook up to a projector and insert the USB single to control my presenter. Then of course, I sometimes use a flash drive during presentations! I MIGHT be able to get away (just barely with 1 USB port, but having none simply won't work for me. And the MB Pro is not nearly portable enough. Sadly, I'm stuck continuing to use the old clunky PC provided by my employer! Sad day for me!

May I take this opportunity to suggest a MacBook Air? I have a 2011 11-inch MBA, my first Apple computer. It is just simply the most perfect computing experience I have ever enjoyed. Obviously I don't have to remind you of the advantages of the usability of OS X. I decided on the smallest offering for two reasons; price and portability. Even for a laptop that old, it is barely bigger than an iPad, so that solves the size issue for you, and it will provide you all the processing power and USB ports that it sounds from your comment that you are going to need. A 2015 model would blow the doors off of mine, and I have been using mine daily for 4 years now and I simply could not recommend anything else.
  • Reply 70 of 89
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Waltg View Post

I think the thin and light thing has gone overboard 

I look for these types of comments, and the poster to my ignore list.

• Reply 71 of 89
    One step forward, two steps backwards.
    I use the top upgraded 11" Air and when I am home I connect the MagSafe 2, the external EIZO display, the Logitech camera, the hub with B&W MM-1 speakers, printer, external disk drive and smart drive when needed and here we are, all set with a super system.
    Your excellent description allows for second thoughts about Apple's future plans, I reckon.
  • Reply 72 of 89
    okyalos wrote: »
    One step forward, two steps backwards.
    I use the top upgraded 11" Air and when I am home I connect the MagSafe 2, the external EIZO display, the Logitech camera, the hub with B&W MM-1 speakers, printer, external disk drive and smart drive when needed and here we are, all set with a super system.
    Your excellent description allows for second thoughts about Apple's future plans, I reckon.

I don't disagree, however many (if not all) of those peripherals you mentioned will soon be wireless, I believe.
  • Reply 73 of 89

True in the context of the wireless reality of the (near?) future. However switching everything to wireless means purchasing new equipment although the existing gear has not become obsolete. As said the MacBook is something new aiming to start a new era. For the time they must put the adaptors int he box at the same price. 

• Reply 74 of 89
    When I was trying to use the SSD Envoy Pro from OWC with my new MacBook I got the follow pop-up message: "USB Devices Disabled, Unplug device using too much power to re-enable USB devices." Another USB 2.5 inch hard drive device worked. So what does this mean? Some USB hard drives may not work with the new MacBook. The MacBook only uses about 5W and may not have enough juice to drive another pug-in USB hard drive.
  • Reply 75 of 89
    bkkcanuckbkkcanuck Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter77 View Post

When I was trying to use the SSD Envoy Pro from OWC with my new MacBook I got the follow pop-up message: "USB Devices Disabled, Unplug device using too much power to re-enable USB devices." Another USB 2.5 inch hard drive device worked. So what does this mean? Some USB hard drives may not work with the new MacBook. The MacBook only uses about 5W and may not have enough juice to drive another pug-in USB hard drive.

Looked at the specs and it looks as though it just draws too much power from the battery and the Macbook is protecting itself from the device sucking the battery dry in a couple of hours.  For something that draws a lot of power it does not seem to have external power source ability.  I would expect that the Macbook will not display that message if the macbook is powered externally at the same time.  I have seen the same message on an iPad before I believe.  You might want to post the issue to Apple forums as well for clarification.

Also if possible switch cables between the two to rule out an issue with the cable.

• Reply 76 of 89

I switched cables (3.0) and that didn't make it work on the MacBook. The SSD Envoy Pro worked on my MacBook Pro, my iMac and also on a Dell PC.     Another thing, it shows up on Finder as a disk only when I use Apple's USB-C to USB Adapter, then when I try to use it with the Envoy Pro it disconnects after a minute or less, then gives me the warning message ("USB Devices Disabled, Unplug device using too much power to re-enable USB devices."), although not every time does it give the message. On Apple's USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter the Envoy Pro never shows up on Finder or on the Disk utility. I'll try to post this to Apple's forums.

• Reply 77 of 89
    free17070free17070 Posts: 3member
    This computer would be perfect for my uses, word processing, Keynote building, some light iMovie. I love typing on the keyboard at the store.

However, I am another 2-3 weeks out on the waiting list. If that is any clue, then many others feel the same and are looking to get this new Macbook.
  • Reply 78 of 89
    isidoreisidore Posts: 68member
    Given that the usb-c cable supplied is just a charging, not a data cable, what's to stop Apple or someone else making a cable with a magsafe connector near one end? If the Apple design is not copyable, then it's not beyond the wit of man to design an equivalent two part magnetic connector, is it?
  • Reply 79 of 89
    techprod1gytechprod1gy Posts: 838member
    After spending time with this product it is AWESOME. It does exactly what Apple intended. Speed is fine. Keyboard and touchpad are phenomenal...a real miracle. I have had some ups and downs with Apple lately but this product reminds me why I fell in love with their products in the first place.
  • Reply 80 of 89
    noicc1138noicc1138 Posts: 55member
    I think they should of agressively priced this for 1000 bucks to recoup losses from the sinking iPad sales. It should be entry level Macbook for people who bought their first Apple product with the iPad.

The entry level Macbook Air's retina screen is just so dated. I still use it, perfectly good secondary computer, but its not good enough to spend one grand on. This should of taken over the Air's price point or even the Air all together.