Apple sells 47.5M iPhones in record-breaking Q3, revenue jumps 33% to $49.6B

Comments

• Reply 21 of 187
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

The drop is likely not related in any way. Things are down a bit today in general.

Not related to what?

• Reply 22 of 187
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I was worried when the stock ran up over the past few days. I knew it meant expectations were sky high even if they probably weren't realistic. And Tim Cook said he expects ?Watch to be a big hit for the holidays which the analyst crowd is spinning as it's not selling right now. Listening to CNBC makes me want to vomit though. Revenues were up 33% in a seasonally average quarter and somehow that's worthy of a 7% drop in the stock?
  • Reply 23 of 187
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,727member
  • Reply 24 of 187
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member

FWIW, Microsoft reported too:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/microsoft-reports-biggest-quarterly-loss-ever-2015-07-21-164854246

Revs down 5.1%. Largest quarterly loss ever, at $3.2B, down from a $4.6B profit last year.

But, taking into account currency impacts, other items, and the lunar phase, and if you back out all of the losses and only concentrate on everything else, they did better than analysts thought. They think.

Off a buck-eighty after hours.

• Reply 25 of 187
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
  • Reply 26 of 187
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I was worried when the stock ran up over the past few days. I knew it meant expectations were sky high even if they probably weren't realistic. And Tim Cook said he expects ?Watch to be a big hit for the holidays which the analyst crowd is spinning as it's not selling right now. Listening to CNBC makes me want to vomit though. Revenues were up 33% in a seasonally average quarter and somehow that's worthy of a 7% drop in the stock?

I'm guessing the stock could drop even further tomorrow (based on nothing, naturally), so line up your automated trades now.
  • Reply 27 of 187
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I bought more because the earnings report just released.

they are guiding to 20% revenue growth next quarter.  That is close to 30% revenue growth if you adjust for the dollar

I fail to realize your justification. Revenue was up last Q by 33% so what makes you think a 20% revenue growth guidance for next quarter is a compelling reason to buy now....aside from the 10% after hours drop?

• Reply 28 of 187
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Stock was down $10 in after hours.  

Revenue up 33%  - stock down 9%

Google revenue up 11% - stock up 15%

ridiculous

results are below expectations, so its down. Pretty simple to me. 

• Reply 29 of 187
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Just bought some more..... AAPL is unlikely to see these levels for a while.

I am mildly disappointed that there were no Watch numbers, though. Just feeds the stupid market meme.

• Reply 30 of 187
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Here's why the numbers are dropping after hours.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-logs-q3-beat--but-q4-sales-outlook-disappoints--204759056.html

As though these news explanations amount to a hill of beans.

• Reply 31 of 187
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

I fail to realize your justification. Revenue was up last Q by 33% so what makes you think a 20% revenue growth guidance for next quarter is a compelling reason to buy now....aside from the 10% after hours drop?

it's not. 20% is disappointing. It's been up over 30% all previous quarters this year.

• Reply 32 of 187

Did I hear that China was up 112%? If so, wow. Just wow.

Cash of $200B+. And gross margins of ~40%. Incredible.

• Reply 33 of 187
    We have a full quarter before next iPhone. As for watch they need the next upgraded version that has longer battery and with next Os2 more untethered function from phone. Also smart band or battery to increase functionality like band with camera etc...
  • Reply 34 of 187
    atlapple wrote: »
    Cook should have just released Apple Watch numbers, his comment just made the situation worse, it's not like everyone doesn't know by now the numbers stink.

God help us if iPhone sales ever tank. 

Apple said from day one they wouldn't be reporting Watch figures. And let's not forget it didn't launch until the end of April and was severely supply constrained. iPhone sales were up 35% YOY, revenues in general were up 33% and EPS was up 45%. None of that warrents an 8% drop in the stock.
  • Reply 35 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

As though these news explanations amount to a hill of beans.

Actually, they do. After all, stock and P/E is a result of expectations of revenue and profits going forward. Apple gives an expectation of what that will be. If it's below what's expected, then the stock will drop. Match that to expected results for the reported quarter, and there you have it.

Seriously, if this isn't understood, then people shouldn't be in the market.

• Reply 36 of 187
    melgross wrote: »

it's not. 20% is disappointing. It's been up over 30% all previous quarters this year.

So Apple's guidance has been for 30%+ each quarter prior?
  • Reply 37 of 187
    vagvobavagvoba Posts: 16member

Hahaha, AAPL dropped 9%. I predicted it in my post yesterday!

It is utterly irrelevant just how fast Apple is growing, clueless stock traders will always scream DOOM in response to earnings.

Google's growth rate was cut in half in a year, down from 22% to 11%, but it doesn't matter, the market buys it up anyways and let its P/E swell to crazy 32.

Then comes Apple, grows 33% in revenue and 45% in profit, and the response is a sell off.

If you were wondering who the stupidest people on Earth are then look no further: Wall St.

It's an amazing opportunity to buy AAPL now!!!

• Reply 38 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

So Apple's guidance has been for 30%+ each quarter prior?

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but what they look at is what the growth has actually been, and how the company thinks it's going to move going forward. You know that.

I'm not looking at the market right now, because the service isn't working for some reason, but I do think that it went down much too much, if what people are reporting is true.

• Reply 39 of 187
    herbapou wrote: »

results are below expectations, so its down. Pretty simple to me. 

Below Apple's guidance? Did Apple guide to 50-53M iPhones this quarter? Where did analysts get that guidance from? And since when is a 35% increase in sales a disappointment. I'm sure most Fortune 500 companies would love a growth rate like that.
  • Reply 40 of 187
    vagvoba wrote: »
    Hahaha, AAPL dropped 9%. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">I predicted it in my post yesterday!</span>

It is utterly irrelevant just how fast Apple is growing, clueless stock traders will always scream DOOM in response to earnings.

Google's growth rate was cut in half in a year, down from 22% to 11%, but it doesn't matter, the market buys it up anyways and let its P/E swell to crazy 32.

Then comes Apple, grows 33% in revenue and 45% in profit, and the response is a sell off.

If you were wondering who the stupidest people on Earth are then look no further: Wall St.

It's an amazing opportunity to buy AAPL now!!!

$9, not 9%.