Slack CEO denigrates Apple's Siri in announcing work on own team-serving virtual assistant

Comments

• Reply 81 of 135
    It's one thing to provide AI for a limited and well defined set of tasks like Slack will provide, it's quite a different game to provide a more general AI like Siri does.
  • Reply 82 of 135
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member

He was the drummer for the Police.

• Reply 83 of 135
    ascii wrote: »
    I find the speech recognition quite impressive. Even if it initially gets a word wrong, it will often correct it later in the sentence based on context. But let's not kid ourselves, it's clear that you're not talking to any kind of "AI" e.g.

"Siri, How many litres does a 1 litre bottle hold?"

Here's what I found on the web...

"Siri, what is Barack Obama's last name?"

"Siri, all cars are green. What colour is my car?"

• Reply 84 of 135
    I find the speech recognition quite impressive. Even if it initially gets a word wrong, it will often correct it later in the sentence based on context. But let's not kid ourselves, it's clear that you're not talking to any kind of "AI" e.g.

"Siri, How many litres does a 1 litre bottle hold?"

"Siri, what is Barack Obama's last name?"

"Siri, all cars are green. What colour is my car?"

• Reply 85 of 135
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ex_Spy_Guy View Post

Try the wording I used though "How many litres does a 1 litre bottle hold?" and it doesn't work, even though the answer is virtually in the question. Which goes to my point that it's easy to tell you're dealing with a fairly fragile regex style pattern matcher and not yet what people would call an intelligence.

• Reply 86 of 135
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

Gimme Some Slack!

Siri is well positioned to become the next Scarlet Johansson.

She'll be up close & personal on your wrist ;) 

• Reply 87 of 135

In other news, Apple releases an integrated Slack alternative that sweeps 90% of the marketshare. Who's the F**king idiot now?

• Reply 88 of 135
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JDW View Post

I don't know how SIRI is where you gentlemen are, but here in Japan it stinks to the highest heaven on my iOS 8 iPad3.  And no, it does NOT get better with time.  It won't even respond most of the time unless my room is pin-drop quiet or I put my mouth up against the mic.  Even then it doesn't understand me most of the time, and when it does understand it says it can't help me most of the time.  It still can't figure out who my wife and kids are, despite my attempts at training it, and despite they are in my contacts.  It's also brain-dead at helping me find things locally.  It is truly "useless."  Even my kids hate SIRI, and they have more patience than me.

"you're doing it wrong" - Steve Jobs ;-)

• Reply 89 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

ONe thing I realize Siri voice recognition sucks vs Google Voice. I asked it to Play the song for my 2 year old "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" it sometimes wrote "hat", "hed", "hess" instead od "head" and says: "sorry, I couldn't find this song in your database"...Google Voice, it corrected the discrepancy to correct title "Head" every time...this is just one of so many exaMples...

I just tried this twice, once on iPad and iPhone. Both played the correct song on the first try with no misunderstanding at all.

• Reply 90 of 135

Try the wording I used though "How many litres does a 1 litre bottle hold?" and it doesn't work, even though the answer is virtually in the question. Which goes to my point that it's easy to tell you're dealing with a fairly fragile regex style pattern matcher and not yet what people would call an intelligence.

Why would I do that? I don't talk like that, and the context of my question when answered mathematically is identical.
    And I beg your pardon, but your perception of the tool is inaccurate. Siri was built on the predication that voice would be translated to text string and databases would be queried to provide relevant data for a presentation. Siri integrates with (a few) 3rd party services that pipe a backend database to provide the values requested by voice interpretation quite well. In this case wolfram alpha. The product that Apple calls 'Intelligence' never claims to be an AI. It's a meta-tagging schematic that allows a map of relational commonality between values to be created which spans across services and applications if the developers and providers choose to participate. That is coupled with ranking on last and most used apps, locations, people, media, POI, all of the fields in the contacts single record, items that were copied, shared, tweeted, face-booked, and all the other crap that Apple has been natively pounding into iOS for the past 2 years. They have simply decided that there will be a component that will allow data to be shared between web based service components and application components, but that datalink between the key point user data isn't made by either of those services, it is made between them.

I don't know if you have ever looked into SEO, or perhaps managed an analytics account, but when you capture data from site visitors, you can choose whether or not to capture and rely data about user behavior. This includes where the user came from, and where the user went. If those 2 domains also choose to relay the same data, then you get the initial requirements for trending and trajectory. But let's say you chose not to share your user datapoint collection but were still fed analytics from Google about those same 2 websites. You would still be able to build trending and predictive profiles on the user and still maintain privacy.

That's all this is. It's not a machine learning initiative that attempts to teach a device to make predictions based on real historical events make by people. It's simply what did the user do last, how many times, with whom, did it happen yesterday, what time, what did the user do after, did they follow that same workflow in the past, what data was required, pre-fetch similar data.

The difference between the performance of Google data and Apple attempting to be a data company, is Google builds your trajectory based on all Google users who project similar behavior, and then racked and stacked on popularity. Apple trajectory is simply based on you.
  • Reply 91 of 135
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Yes she is idiotic, but so is Google voice search in which Google spent billions too. That shows that making a good virtual assistant is hard and that this pretentious guy is telling nonsense.
  • Reply 92 of 135

Artificial intelligence ain't easy.
  • Reply 93 of 135
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

A vaporware "announcement" that needed some buzz: so he swipes at Apple's product for the click bait? 

Shocked. Simply shocked.

• Reply 94 of 135
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    eriamjh wrote: »
    Siri could be better.  A LOT better.
    Siri on Apple watch is amazing!!!

Dont ask me why its better than its implementation on iPhone.. But it is !

Maybe ios 9 will bring to tye same level on Iphone!

SLACK... stop the tough talk and blowing smoke.. You got something ? Show it to me!
  • Reply 95 of 135
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

SIRI was good when it 1st arrived but then Apple did a Blackberry with it and didn't really develop it as fast as they could so other companies have done better since. Even Cortana is more useful!

• Reply 96 of 135
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

SIRI was good when it 1st arrived but then Apple did a Blackberry with it and didn't really develop it as fast as they could so other companies have done better since. Even Cortana is more useful!

How do you know that they did not develop it as fast as they could? Any sources to back this up?

Same for your statement regarding Cortana.

In my opinion YMMV depending on your voice and pronunciation, your syntax, how often you use it, etc.

For personally, it has become way better than in the beginning. It understands more and better, as well it gives more useful answers.

Still, way to go to true "AI". 

• Reply 97 of 135
    I am 100% confident that, by the time Slack has anything ready for public release (a year?), Siri will be better, likely even surpassing whatever they are trying to create.
  • Reply 98 of 135
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dstarsboy View Post

I am 100% confident that, by the time Slack has anything ready for public release (a year?), Siri will be better, likely even surpassing whatever they are trying to create.

If they purchase a company that is making great strides, maybe they'll have a solution in short order. Google, Facebook, Amazon, IBM and Apple (among others) are all pursuing this goal and improvements are incremental.

Ray Kurzweil predicts that 2029 will be the year human level artificial intelligence will be available, however before that a desktop computer will have human brain level processing power by 2019. By 2045, the Singularity (also called the "technological singularity") will have happened which is equivalent to the power of all human brains in existence, essentially a "superintelligence".

• Reply 99 of 135
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    I use Siri to set the timer and that works well most of the time.
    With background noise it's more difficult but speech recognition improved a lot lately.
    I find it annoying that Siri responds in a wisecrack way on random occasions.
    Such canned responses are totally inappropriate and a waste of time for everyone involved except maybe a 5 year old the first time.
    It's dangerous that Siri doesn't work when it has no data connection and isn't active all the time (Hey Siri (how childish) only works when plugged in).
    Imagine what happens when the person that got squished under his car didn't have a data connection or couldn't move his behind enough to activate Siri.
    The headlines could have been: "Apple kills person squished under his car".
    Siri is absolutely useless with names, most of the time it fails miserably.
    It's also really frustrating when it is off track, It's lack of context is evident most of the time.
    It took incredible long to produce a Dutch version, but sadly that voice is only male and less realistic.
    My conclusion is that Siri isn't the right technology and Siri II will probably be something completely different.
  • Reply 100 of 135
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member

If they purchase a company that is making great strides, maybe they'll have a solution in short order. Google, Facebook, Amazon, IBM and Apple (among others) are all pursuing this goal and improvements are incremental.

Ray Kurzweil predicts that 2029 will be the year human level artificial intelligence will be available, however before that a desktop computer will have human brain level processing power by 2019. By 2045, the Singularity (also called the "technological singularity") will have happened which is equivalent to the power of all human brains in existence, essentially a "superintelligence".

Ha ha, and pigs will fly.
    You know Ray is a bit insane, you shouldn't take it too literally.