On PlayStation's 20th anniversary, Sony says 'game on' to Apple in spoof of today's event

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    tknull wrote: »

Are you going to ban yourself when you're wrong? You realize people predicted the Ouya would be the death of game consoles, right?

And have you seen how much Apple charges for an iPad case? Have you seen what iOS controllers go for? Glass houses and all that.

Apple may indeed charge way too much for a case.  But you can buy them much cheaper than that from thousands of other companies that make them.  And games are made by thousands of companies, at varying prices.  Thats the point he was making.  That with a Sony game console, you don't have that option.  Its theirs or nothing.

What are you going on about? There's Playstation controllers made by 3rd party companies.
  • Reply 22 of 76
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    sog35 wrote: »
    To play a SINGLE playstation game I need to buy:

$400 PS4
    $60 additional controller
    $50 game

With tax that is $550 just for ONE GAME.
    You are terrible at shopping. You don't need to buy an additional controller and games can be bought either in a bundle or off the online store for much less than $50.

There are bundles for less than $400 that include a game, and a far more capable gaming machine than an AppleTV, current or imminent.
  • Reply 23 of 76
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,333moderator
    macapfel wrote: »
    That does not look like a deal with Sony Studios? Or does it mean Sony Studios bought by Apple?

I always thought they'd work well together even if it didn't mean a buyout. A partnership similar to IBM. It's a bit unusual for Sony to do this kind of thing but it is just their XPeria twitter account so it could just be meaningless messing around.

Apple seems to be hinting at something major though. They said there's a big announcement. Game publishers have been putting their names on banners on Apple's twitter account. Square Enix tweeted 'let's do this'.

Sony makes profit outside of areas where they compete with Apple and they're always relying on 3rd party software. Apple could integrate ?TV/iOS into Sony TVs and gain about 6-7% of the TV market. Then it wouldn't matter about the box. This can link with the PS4 and sync data to iOS devices. Apple gets the iPhone camera sensors from Sony. They can have Sony's movie and music businesses integrated into Apple Music and the smart TV.

They are making the announcement sound like it's more than just a more capable ?TV box.
  • Reply 24 of 76
    Also, no chance in hell any Apple gaming controller of significance will be "much less" than $50.
  • Reply 25 of 76
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

The gaming pad will be cheaper than the PS controller.

To play a SINGLE playstation game I need to buy:

$400 PS4

$60 additional controller

$50 game

With tax that is $550 just for ONE GAME.

That you can't see how that is a turn off for many casual gamers is shocking

Not all games are priced at $60. PSN and Xbox online stores offer many games for less than $20. They also give subscribers free games every month. The reason PS4 & Xbox One console cost that much is market size. In their first year both consoles sold less than 20 million units. Now compare that to the iPads more than 60 million units a year with minimum price of $500 and you get the picture.

• Reply 26 of 76
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

Personally I think Sony should be scared. 

Hard core gamers will stick with their PS4's and XBOX One's.

But there's a segment of casual gamers who may have been looking for a game console but realize it's overkill.

Not to mention, the high cost of games. An AppleTV at $149 with $5-10 games will be a compelling alternative.

If the AppleTV brings casual gaming like iOS did for the mobile phone, this will certainly be a game changer (no pun intended).

• Reply 27 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Are you going to ban yourself when you're wrong? You realize people predicted the Ouya would be the death of game consoles, right?

And have you seen how much Apple charges for an iPad case? Have you seen what iOS controllers go for? Glass houses and all that.

First, Ouya was a start up that has no experience and even less capital.  Apple has what, $200 billion and an already successful gaming platform on mobile that is eating Nintendo's lunch. You let the A8X or A9 rip (less terminal requirements, unlimited electrical supply) and I think you'll see something very capability with millions of developers ready to build successful apps for the living room.

Apple charges the same amount for a case as everyone else and they are quality. If you want to get a cheap knockoff case, be my guest, but I haven't had any issues with the ones I've purchased from Apple.  Plus... you're not limited to only buying their case.  With gaming consoles, you need to buy their games and they cost money... or you need to buy their controllers. They lock you in.

The controller for iOS are all third party so that's a moot point. You can't blame Apple. Oh and things cost money to build, manufacture and support. Go figure.

• Reply 28 of 76
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Also, no chance in hell any Apple gaming controller of significance will be "much less" than $50.

Agreed.

But don't you think there will be third party will be permitted to make peripherals? i.e. Made for AppleTV

• Reply 29 of 76
    sog35 wrote: »
    Most casual gamers won't be hunting down deals.
    Rubbish. Casual gamers are going to be even more reticent to spend hundreds of dollars. They'll take the cheapest bundle they can get.
    And most casual gamers want to play MULTI player games, so an additional controller is a MUST.

So it still is about $500 just to start playing.  That is a MASSIVE investment for a casual gamer.
    Casual gamers don't buy consoles. They won't buy AppleTVs for the games either.
    But the AppleTV is only $149.  And its very easy for a casual gamer to justify it cause it does a ton of other things like stream Netflix.
    Everything streams Netflix. The Amazon Kindle Fire TV did casual games and Netflix, and Was cheaper than the Apple TV.

You need a better value proposition. Games are at best nice-to-haves, and Netflix is expected.
  • Reply 30 of 76
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Nintendo is almost bankrupt and has no future, all because of iPhone and mobile gaming.

If Apple takes TV-gaming seriously, which it looks like they will, console gaming is going to take a hit. Whether its 10%, 30%, 50% of the market...who knows. But its going to take a hit.

• Reply 31 of 76
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

I can't imagine PC gaming going mainstream.  

Just dont see soccer mom's buying PC's for their kids to play games.

For the mainstream PC = no fun.

Tablet/Phone/TV = fun

That's not accurate in my experience. I am older so I had a PC because it was the only game in town. Ten years ago all the younger 20-somethings at my office had consoles and only the 30-somethings had PCs. Fast forward to today and all the (new) 20-somethings have PCs. What has changed, were the grey beards right all along? No, it is the rise of MMOs, and the extra power of a PC making a difference there. Also Steam prices are often better than the consoles. Competition there has had a similar effect as on the iOS App Store.

As for mum not buying her kids a gaming rig, maybe not, but in my experience the kids see dad on the PC, and the amazing games, and want one of their own.

• Reply 32 of 76
    Could it actually be a collaboration with Apple and not a shot at them? Sony has expressed interest in bringing its Playstation Now streaming service to other companies platforms (i.e. Samsung Smart TVs already). Maybe they will be announcing a Plsystation Now App available for download in the new Apple TV App Store?
  • Reply 33 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Games are at best nice-to-haves, and Netflix is expected.

I don't think you quite understand 2015.

• Reply 34 of 76
    Quote:

Sure sign a company is scared of Apple:  They make spoofs.

IMO this is the biggest evidence that the AppleTV will disrupt gaming.  Did Sony do this when the Shield gaming platform come out?  hell no.

Sony spends a ton of $$$ on research and probabily knew an AppleTV with gaming feature would be a huge threat.

Apple must have been really scared with all those Mac vs. PC ads...which clearly reduced Microsoft's market share to zero.

• Reply 35 of 76
    satchmo wrote: »

Agreed.
    But don't you think there will be third party will be permitted to make peripherals? i.e. Made for AppleTV
    I think probably, and those might come in at under $50 depending on what the spec is - i.e. If the spec call for a touch screen and microphone and other gubbins as the remote rumours are tending towards then that price point might be out of reach even for the cheap and nasty third parties.
  • Reply 36 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RegurgitatedCoprolite View Post

Though this is a ripoff of Apple, I can't get all that angry about Sony - it's the goobers (I'm being extremely polite) at Sungscam whom I despise.

Over the past couple of years, I've talked two families in my extended family out of buying Sungscam washer / dryer sets. It feels great to deprive them of revenue.

Samsung is an evil Chaebol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaebol

They have been involved in a lot of shady businesses and government corruption lets them be arrogant and unpunished. (Too big to fail?)

Samsung is run like the mafia.  

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/15/3991338/samsung-x-file-tapes-lawmaker-roh-hoe-chan-loses-government-seat

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/30/3709688/samsung-25-years-lee-kun-hee

There's too much to post here, and what's funny is that documentarian thinks Steve Jobs did some evil shit?

• Reply 37 of 76
    pmz wrote: »
    I don't think you quite understand 2015.
    I think I understand it perfectly well.

Games on the Apple TV will be nice to have but will not drive sales of the hardware. Nor will home automation or any other smarts. Nice to have, but they won't move units.

What will drive sales of the hardware is an easy to use media content delivery platform across multiple content providers.
  • Reply 38 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tmay View Post

You may think that consoles won't be effected, but parents control much of the purchases of children/teens, and with the release of the AppleTV with gaming, it may be "good enough" to replace or delay a console buy, especially with the note that many of the mobile games the children/teens already have will play fine on the AppleTV.

Congrats for thinking game consoles are for children or teens. News flash: they're not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Nintendo is almost bankrupt and has no future, all because of iPhone and mobile gaming.

If Apple takes TV-gaming seriously, which it looks like they will, console gaming is going to take a hit. Whether its 10%, 30%, 50% of the market...who knows. But its going to take a hit.

Nintendo has so much money in the bank it's insane. Nice try though.

• Reply 39 of 76

I'd think Sony would see an Apple TV going into gaming as a possible positive for Playstation.

I doubt many casual gamers buy the PS4 even now.  An Apple TV for $149 that gets people play casual games could well be a "gateway drug" for people buying a serious gaming platform like PS4.

• Reply 40 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SupaDav03 View Post

Could it actually be a collaboration with Apple and not a shot at them? Sony has expressed interest in bringing its Playstation Now streaming service to other companies platforms (i.e. Samsung Smart TVs already). Maybe they will be announcing a Plsystation Now App available for download in the new Apple TV App Store?

That would make some sense. It does not sound as competitive as it does, "Lets do this."