Apple's redesigned Magic Mouse 2 & Magic Keyboard gain integrated batteries, Lightning ports

24567

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 127
    peteo wrote: »
    Going to be fun recharging 300 keyboards/mice on a monthly basis

    Or you could just get wired everything.
  • Reply 22 of 127
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member

    Sounds like these are shipping as default. Wonder how much more apple will charge for the wired ones

  • Reply 23 of 127
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,077member
    peteo wrote: »
    Going to be fun recharging 300 keyboards/mice on a monthly basis

    Okay, I'll bite on this.

    I have more macs than anyone I know, I have 3.

    How can you possibly be in personally in charge of 300?

    If you do, that is your job, right?

    If so, that's what you are being paid for, I don't feel that bad for you.

    Anyway, deploy 300 lightning cables to your users and you will have plenty of time to find more interesting things to complain about.
  • Reply 24 of 127
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post





    Better than having to swap batteries every so often.

     

    I'm going to go ahead and agree with this. The bonus is that you can charge all your iDevices with it also. Although, the downside is that, once the battery craps out you're throwing down another eighty bucks unless you want to bust out the hair dryer and pry the thing open. I'm sure iFixit will be happy to sell you a replacement battery for half of what the MM costs. I still want one tho!!

     

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

     



    If you compare them to the flat out junk made by the rest of the industry, Apple accessories seem like a bargain to me. 

     

    These are not just accessories, they are the input devices themselves! The only part of the iMac you actually touch. They ought to be the damn best thing that can be made, and who cares what they cost?

     

    This is one place where the PC industry has not even tried to catch up in terms of quality.

     


     

    Also agree 100%

  • Reply 25 of 127
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by polymnia View Post





    Okay, I'll bite on this.



    I have more macs than anyone I know, I have 3.



    How can you possibly be in personally in charge of 300?



    If you do, that is your job, right?



    If so, that's what you are being paid for, I don't feel that bad for you.



    Anyway, deploy 300 lightning cables to your users and you will have plenty of time to find more interesting things to complain about.

    Just because its someone else's job, doesn't mean you can't sympathize with them. No one likes it when they need to do more work for less gain.

  • Reply 25 of 127
    Most people do not know how or use the number pad people. I was born in 1975 and was taught to use the number keys on the keyboard effectively. So I can only assume that younger generations do not use a number pad. So why would Apple include that? Give me an example where this is even needed? Why would I take my hand off the keyboard and move over to the number pad? Makes no sense. I am waiting to hear of any modern application. Yes if you are a hard core data input specialist where you just type in just numbers all day OK...
  • Reply 27 of 127
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    So where's the version of the Magic Keyboard with the numeric keypad?

    I was really hoping that the new keyboard would have (a) a numeric keypad, at least as an option, and (b) illuminated keys (which I would actually find very useful in my dingy room). It has neither. So, quite a big disappointment.

    Is it not possible that a "skin" with a virtual keypad could be overlaid on the touchpad, and enabled to use as a keypad through software? Maybe with a force touch gesture that turns it off and on. It seems like this one is quite a bit more sophisticated than the last. Maybe even compatible with the ?Pencil?

    I get why people want a backlit keyboard, but isn't that sort of impractical for a device with limited battery that most people wouldn't want to recharge everyday? I'm all for giving customers the option, but it seems to me Apple would be increasing the cost of the device without really providing a practical benefit to most. As it is, I'm constantly turning off my backlight to conserve battery power on my MacBook, even with auto light adjust.
  • Reply 28 of 127
    Apple sometimes presses "their way of doing things" to a point where the product is poorly implemented, and crap. That keyboard wedge shape looks like something out of cutting edge 80's desktop design... gross. And seriously, what the hell is their hangup about numeric keypads?! There was a time when they sold wired AND wireless full-sized keyboards; have they decided for the rest of us that numeric entry is a no longer a thing that people need to do? For the Magic Mouse: the Thunderbolt connector is on the bottom of the unit. That bears repeating: the Thunderbolt connector is on the bottom of the $#*! unit!!! Which of course, means that if your unit goes kaput while you're working, you're SOL, buddy! This is not a better solution to simply swapping out spare rechargeable batteries.

    No thanks, Apple. I'll be sticking with my current input devices.
  • Reply 29 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

     
    I get why people want a backlit keyboard, but isn't that sort of impractical for a device with limited battery that most people wouldn't want to recharge everyday? I'm all for giving customers the option, but it seems to me Apple would be increasing the cost of the device without really providing a practical benefit to most. As it is, I'm constantly turning off my backlight to conserve battery power on my MacBook, even with auto light adjust.


    Actually, as I said at the end of my original post, what I really want, personally, is a new WIRED keyboard with backlighting. I agree that it'd be a battery hog for a wireless model (especially when the battery only lasts for about a month anyway, which is a bit rubbish).

     

    Personally, though, I couldn't care less about having a wireless keyboard. I'd much rather have the wire and not have to worry about recharging it all the time. And if it's a wired keyboard, there's no good reason why Apple couldn't add backlighting to it.

     

    So as I say, the new Magic Keyboard 2 is OK (I suppose) as far as it goes as a replacement for the previous wireless keyboard. It's much the same, but has improved key mechanisms.

     

    However, Apple is still supplying the same old wired keyboard as before. And I'd have liked to see it upgrade that wired keyboard with the new, improved key mechanism and backlighting. (Whilst retaining all the keys, obviously.)

     

    On the keypad-free wireless keyboard, I'm particularly not a fan of the stupidly small and awkward Up/Down cursor keys. The proper full-size, separated versions of those are also another very good reason for having the extended/wired keyboard.

  • Reply 30 of 127
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    This doesn't change my opinion of this mouse. I still use a wired Apple Mouse and don't like these at all
  • Reply 31 of 127
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechProd1gy View Post



    Most people do not know how or use the number pad people. I was born in 1975 and was taught to use the number keys on the keyboard effectively. So I can only assume that younger generations do not use a number pad. So why would Apple include that? Give me an example where this is even needed? Why would I take my hand off the keyboard and move over to the number pad? Makes no sense. I am waiting to hear of any modern application. Yes if you are a hard core data input specialist where you just type in just numbers all day OK...



    Serious?

    How about...absoutely any time you type in a string of numbers? I'm not doing constant calculations all day...but I type plenty of numbers. I'm a really decent typist on the keyboard, and with my right hand I can easily bang out a string of numbers on the number pad....but If it have to type a string of numbers on the number row....its back to hunt and peck for me.

     

    I feel like most people are the same way. I guess if you're not very good at keyboard input to begin with, you might not notice how unnatural and cumbersome the number row is.

     

    Therefor you might have a point about the "young generation"...if they suck at typing period, they might not notice how much more difficult the number row is.

  • Reply 32 of 127
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Most people do not know how or use the number pad people. I was born in 1975 and was taught to use the number keys on the keyboard effectively. So I can only assume that younger generations do not use a number pad. So why would Apple include that? Give me an example where this is even needed? Why would I take my hand off the keyboard and move over to the number pad? Makes no sense. I am waiting to hear of any modern application. Yes if you are a hard core data input specialist where you just type in just numbers all day OK...
    Entering numbers on a dedicated number pad increases reliable input. It's one thing to type a number into a document using the numbers across the top of the keyboard, it's another to do calculations of any length. I don't know what you do for a living, but most businesses still use math. And most people still calculate a few things at home. Common examples, doing your taxes, balancing your bank account, adding up an invoice, calculating wages, managing expenses, etc. Having to hold down the shift key to select mathematical operators, which are located all over the keyboard, really slows down calculations, and leads to errors. Every time I think I'm going to do a quick calculation using only the magic keyboard, I realize I forgot to hold down the shift key. I really hate having to grab the mouse to use the memory functions. And then there's incorrect input because I'm having to enter a number like 1,017,291.93 with my finger flying back and forth the length of the keyboard and having to hunt and peck in between the extremes. I'd love to go through Apple's offices and see how many numeric keypads there are. You can bet the engineers all have dedicated keypads, as well as the accountants, human resources, and anybody responsible for budgets. In a tech company that's probably a majority of the employees.
  • Reply 33 of 127
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DougD View Post



    This doesn't change my opinion of this mouse. I still use a wired Apple Mouse and don't like these at all



    What don't you like about it? I occasionally have to use another mouse other than my magic mouse and it is like torture. I love everything about the magic mouse, except for its mediocre support on windows without bootcamp.

  • Reply 34 of 127
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,077member
    peteo wrote: »
    Just because its someone else's job, doesn't mean you can't sympathize with them. No one likes it when they need to do more work for less gain.

    True, I could feel that way, but I don't. This tech should offload charging responsibility to the users. If this guy isn't creative enough to figure out how to make that happen, I don't have sympathy. If his organization is too inflexible to permit him the leeway to make this policy happen, perhaps he should find other work.
  • Reply 35 of 127
    For those missing the number keys, my theory is Apple will add it virtually on the new magic trackpad. Should work beautifully with force touch. Watch this space!
  • Reply 36 of 127
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by polymnia View Post





    True, I could feel that way, but I don't. This tech should offload charging responsibility to the users. If this guy isn't creative enough to figure out how to make that happen, I don't have sympathy. If his organization is too inflexible to permit him the leeway to make this policy happen, perhaps he should find other work.

    Yeah that Totally makes sense. In the Lab they should make a sign and tell people to carry a lighting cable around just in case the battery runs out on the keyboard or mouse they are currently using (especially if their is a class going on)

  • Reply 37 of 127
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post



    Entering numbers on a dedicated number pad increases reliable input. It's one thing to type a number into a document using the numbers across the top of the keyboard, it's another to do calculations of any length. I don't know what you do for a living, but most businesses still use math. And most people still calculate a few things at home. Common examples, doing your taxes, balancing your bank account, adding up an invoice, calculating wages, managing expenses, etc. Having to hold down the shift key to select mathematical operators, which are located all over the keyboard, really slows down calculations, and leads to errors. Every time I think I'm going to do a quick calculation using only the magic keyboard, I realize I forgot to hold down the shift key. I really hate having to grab the mouse to use the memory functions. And then there's incorrect input because I'm having to enter a number like 1,017,291.93 with my finger flying back and forth the length of the keyboard and having to hunt and peck in between the extremes. I'd love to go through Apple's offices and see how many numeric keypads there are. You can bet the engineers all have dedicated keypads, as well as the accountants, human resources, and anybody responsible for budgets. In a tech company that's probably a majority of the employees.

    I definitely prefer the extended keyboard with keypad, having the numbers and math functions available even the few times I use or need them is a very nice to have, but the nicest part of the extended keyboard for me is the Page Up/Page Down/Home/End/Delete keys within easy reach. I use those far more often than the number pad and really miss having those on a mini-keyboard. I know the function key can be used in combination with other keys on the mini-keyboard, but it's not ideal, having a dedicated key is much more elegant, and on a desktop there is adequate space for an extended keyboard, why not include it on every one? Guess I'll be sticking with my wired keyboard.

  • Reply 38 of 127
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

     
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by portcity View Post



    $79 for a mouse, $99 for a keyboard, $99 for a stylus. The price of Apple's accessories is becoming ridiculous. Sure the keyboard and mouse are smaller and lighter but using less material shouldn't equal a price hike. The new trackpad is $129 but at least it comes with force touch.



    If you compare them to the flat out junk made by the rest of the industry, Apple accessories seem like a bargain to me. 

     

    These are not just accessories, they are the input devices themselves! The only part of the iMac you actually touch. They ought to be the damn best thing that can be made, and who cares what they cost?

     

    This is one place where the PC industry has not even tried to catch up in terms of quality.


    I don't know about that.

     

    There are some really high quality mouses and keyboards available for the same price made for the PC, and a lot of them seem to work with the Mac as well. Might not be wireless (which means no batteries to charge, and less lag) but there are some extremely high quality, highly customizable mouses and keyboards out there for the same money.

     

    Lots of people who do a lot of typing for a living do not like the Apple brand keyboards and choose something else.

     

    As far as the wireless trackpad goes, there is nothing quite like that on the PC side as far I know.

  • Reply 39 of 127
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

     

    I don't know about that.

     

    There are some really high quality mouses and keyboards available for the same price made for the PC, and a lot of them seem to work with the Mac as well. Might not be wireless (which means no batteries to charge, and less lag) but there are some extremely high quality, highly customizable mouses and keyboards out there for the same money.

     

    Lots of people who do a lot of typing for a living do not like the Apple brand keyboards and choose something else.

     

    As far as the wireless trackpad goes, there is nothing quite like that on the PC side as far I know.




    There are certainly highly customizable mice out there, I bought one solely for playing PC games when I boot into Windows.

     

    But as far as keyboards go...have you seen whats bundled with a $1,000+ DELL desktop, or what is sitting on the desk of most office workers? It's a disgrace. Straight out of 1987. Skyscraper keys sure to give an entire generation arthritis or carpal tunnel.

  • Reply 40 of 127
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Actually, as I said at the end of my original post, what I really want, personally, is a new WIRED keyboard with backlighting. I agree that it'd be a battery hog for a wireless model (especially when the battery only lasts for about a month anyway, which is a bit rubbish).

    Personally, though, I couldn't care less about having a wireless keyboard. I'd much rather have the wire and not have to worry about recharging it all the time. And if it's a wired keyboard, there's no good reason why Apple couldn't add backlighting to it.

    So as I say, the new Magic Keyboard 2 is OK (I suppose) as far as it goes as a replacement for the previous wireless keyboard. It's much the same, but has improved key mechanisms.

    However, Apple is still supplying the same old wired keyboard as before. And I'd have liked to see it upgrade that wired keyboard with the new, improved key mechanism and backlighting. (Whilst retaining all the keys, obviously.)

    On the keypad-free wireless keyboard, I'm particularly not a fan of the stupidly small and awkward Up/Down cursor keys. The proper full-size, separated versions of those are also another very good reason for having the extended/wired keyboard.

    Sorry you did say wired later in your post. It's still too early to know what they're going to do with the wired keyboard. They might discontinue it, but I doubt it. They will probably update it with the same new key mechanism at some point, and they might add a backlight when they do. On the other hand if Apple is shipping the wireless products with every mac, then they essentially remove the economic impact, though wired keyboards are still going to be cheaper for companies to supply as replacement keyboards, and there are probably applications where wired connections are preferred over wireless.
Sign In or Register to comment.