TAG Heuer unveils $1,500 'Connected' smartwatch running Android Wear

Comments

• Reply 41 of 115
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    mstone wrote: »

I think this looks pretty nice. Titanium case and the watch faces are attractive as well. The 'exclusive' is that they offer Tag apps and faces that are not available on other Android watches. The features are limited compared to other watches though. No speaker, no health sensors, apparently no NFC. It is splash proof to IP67 and has sapphire crystal.

No health censors and no NFC? That seems DOA to me. Except for someone who just has to have a Tag watch or Tag watch face. I don't think it looks that nice. And that numeric bezel seems completely out of place when the display is showing something other than one of Tag's watch faces. LG's first round smart watch had one and it got dinged in the reviews for it.
  • Reply 42 of 115
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    DOA.
  • Reply 43 of 115
    I'm sorry but I think this look dumb.

tag_0003_Mens_Watches_by_TAG_HEUER_-_Best_Watches_For_Men_And_For_Women_-_Google_Chrome_2015-11-09_11-18-26.jpg
  • Reply 44 of 115
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

tag_0003_Mens_Watches_by_TAG_HEUER_-_Best_Watches_For_Men_And_For_Women_-_Google_Chrome_2015-11-09_11-18-26.jpg

I don't know. It looks a lot easier to read than Apple Watch with grey text on black background.

• Reply 45 of 115
    And doesn't look that premium to me IRL. These faux analog watch faces always look better in CGI shots than IRL.

tag-heuer-connected-watch-hands-on-0602.0.jpg
  • Reply 46 of 115
    Quote:

And doesn't look that premium to me IRL. These faux analog watch faces always look better in CGI shots than IRL.

tag-heuer-connected-watch-hands-on-0602.0.jpg

Well sure in that image the viewing angle is kind of extreme. That angle is going to be difficult on just about any LCD.

• Reply 47 of 115
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    $1,500 watch.

Runs android.
  • Reply 48 of 115
    I don't know. It looks a lot easier to read than Apple Watch with grey text on black background.

Completely disagree. That bright white is blinding. Hence why I'd love a dark mode for iOS.
  • Reply 49 of 115
    Well sure in that image the viewing angle is kind of extreme. That angle is going to be difficult on just about any LCD.

Isn't that typically how people look at the time on their watch?
  • Reply 50 of 115
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,242member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Isn't that typically how people look at the time on their watch?
    I don't. I generally hold it somewhat perpendicular to my eyes. You don't usually look at your smartphone time at 80 degree slant do you?
  • Reply 51 of 115

It looks OK, but I wouldn't pay $1500 for it.  It looks like a classic Tag Heuer.

I doubt that it has the functionality of the Hermès connected watch.

• Reply 52 of 115
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,242member
    It looks OK, but I wouldn't pay $1500 for it.
    Nor would I. Tag probably agrees there's a very limited market for it as well.
  • Reply 53 of 115
    hodar wrote: »
    Does almost as much as an Apple watch - at 3x the price.
    Well actually it does no where near what an Apple Watch does. It doesn't even have the same array of sensors as an Apple Watch. I doubt they could compete on features with Apple Watch though so it's an interesting strategy to go for the 2 year upgrade option instead. I don't think it will work for them but nice to see they are trying something different.
  • Reply 54 of 115
    I think this is all BS. What Tag was teasing is you'd be able to bring the watch in and upgrade the internals. Instead they're saying for an additional $1500 you can 'upgrade' to a non-smart watch. So in essence they're saying smart watches are stupid and after 2 years you'll want a regular watch again. Why would Intel sign up for that?

Desperation?
  • Reply 55 of 115
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by john12345 View Post

So.....it's just another Android Wear watch(with worse features) with Tag's name. Oh sure, this will go well with the Android buyers. LOL.

most android user can not even afford this watch, this probably why they will let you trade it in after two years to get a real TAG watch. The obviously have low expectation for the watch.

• Reply 56 of 115
    kit_ckit_c Posts: 16member

I like the look of the bezel and dial.  But due to past problems (Google "TAG link bracelet failure"), I will never buy another TAG product.

The ability to trade this in for an automatic down the road seems weird to me.  Who is that supposed to appeal to, people who are willing to pay $1500 but aren't sure if they really want a Smart Watch?

• Reply 57 of 115
    That bright white is blinding.

So are the hyper-saturated colors from OLEDs on "flagship" phones.
  • Reply 58 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

It looks OK, but I wouldn't pay $1500 for it. 

I've had a SS 42 Milanese ?Watch since it was available in retail stores and I think it cost around $700 but I still don't particularly like the look of it, but it works well, except the magnet on the end of the strap loosens gradually until the watch is too loose and it disconnects from being paired. Happens about 5-10 times per day. I like the look of this Tag watch much better, but it doesn't have the feature set of the ?Watch.

• Reply 59 of 115
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

oh look they put the flat tire at the top verses the bottom like all the other Andriod round watches, I bet they thought no one would notice.

• Reply 60 of 115
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member

In addition, there's always a question of white balance - photographing LCD screen often ends with color shift (especially if white balance is targeting whole scene rather than LCD screen itself), wrong exposure (since screen emits its own light while rest of the "scene" is just reflecting environment light) and, as you've mentioned, camera angle is not complementing nature of LCD screens.

I'd really need to see this in real to form an opinion about how "premium" it looks. I must admit that, as far as it goes, "premium" is in my mind still reserved for mechanical timepieces, but regardless - this gadget might look decent in real life.