TAG Heuer unveils $1,500 'Connected' smartwatch running Android Wear

Comments

• Reply 81 of 115
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    rogifan wrote: »
    And the watch itself is HUGE.

I think smartwatches will go the way of smartphones. Meaning, the increased usability over a traditional watch will quickly pull culture into a larger device in which to interact.
  • Reply 82 of 115
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    ew. is that the back of the watch, or a charging dock or something?

The charger.
  • Reply 83 of 115
    john12345 wrote: »

Skeuomorphic display. Classy. The tacky Android watch crowd will be impressed. Why are the bezel numbers also displayed on the screen?
  • Reply 84 of 115
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I think smartwatches will go the way of smartphones. Meaning, the increased usability over a traditional watch will quickly pull culture into a larger device in which to interact.

What I like about my 38mm ?Watch is its NOT huge. If you go round you naturally have to go bigger unless you want to cut off text. Or chose to have a smart watch that isn't very smart.
  • Reply 85 of 115
    Skeuomorphic display. Classy. The tacky Android watch crowd will be impressed. Why are the bezel numbers also displayed on the screen?

And why would I want a timing bezel when my watch face is showing something like this? Also that Tag Heuer Connected on the bezel as well as the Intel Inside logo on the back looks so tacky.

tag-heuer-connected-watch-hands-on-0697.0.jpg

tag_0004_Layer-0.jpg
  • Reply 86 of 115

Whoa. The TAG looks horrid.

I thought it was nice at first.

Then I saw the real picture.

It's big, clunky, and not very elegant.

And it seems to not even compete with Apple Watch on features, though it does bump up the specs.

I'm waiting on an Apple smart band with integrated battery throughout the band before snapping ions watch though.
  • Reply 87 of 115

Lol. Thought so too.

Funny how Apple has definitively grabbed authentic digital design by the horns while the android crew goes back to the original OS X and calls it "material design." It's skeuomorphic. And while that may make s comeback someday, today is not that day. It just looks... Dated.

As for the redundant bezel numbers... Wow. That looks extremely amateurish now. Surprising.

When you strive for elegance, you try to make it as minimal as possible. "Less is more." But when you just want to cheaply get someone to notice you as quickly as possible, you get as gaudy as possible. That pretty much defines this watch. And many android devices in general.
  • Reply 88 of 115
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And why would I want a timing bezel when my watch face is showing something like this? Also that Tag Heuer Connected on the bezel as well as the Intel Inside logo on the back looks so tacky.

tag_0004_Layer-0.jpg

They think Intel Inside is a good thing?

• Reply 89 of 115
    I bought a 3rd party band adapter for the Apple Watch, plus the blue alligator leather strap that goes with the Tag Heuer Monaco, along with Tag's steel clasp. It looks dope on my stainless steel Apple Watch. Like it was meant to be. Beautiful blue leather and steel clasp with steel Apple Watch.. mmm... drooling on it.
  • Reply 90 of 115

tag-heuer-connected-watch-hands-on-0697.0.jpg

tag_0004_Layer-0.jpg

I wonder if the alarm is the "Intel inside" jingle.
  • Reply 91 of 115

I just noticed something in the last picture of the article... are you really dependent upon a paired device to do something as basic as picking a watch face?

• Reply 92 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Now they're playing Apple's game.

They're most certainly not.

Jean-Claude Biver is visibly squirming. (He also looks seriously ill with a terrible complexion, and he's overweight). He called his own product a "gimmick" he wouldn't wear to the opera. He thinks it's important that the watch looks like a TAG/Heuer. It doesn't. It looks cheap. But it costs $1500. When asked why it costs that much, his first answer was "profit." He also said they'd probably only make about 50K—to keep it "exclusive."

This is utter arrogance and pretense. Another Ballmer-esque buffoon.

I don't think it will sell—at all.

NOT Apple's game. No game at all.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-11-09/tag-heuer-connected-watch-from-google-and-intel-specs

(Flash video—use Chrome browser if you're Flash-free.)

• Reply 93 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Only if your not running, and it is light as day because otherwise you won't want something that big.

Smart phones were held in our hands, this thing is hanging on top of your limited real estate wrist, you're wrist it not getting bigger ;-).

• Reply 94 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

OK I'm sorry but there is nothing elegant about this.

CTZ9ABSUsAAzFRi.png

And the watch itself is HUGE.

12237528_907338329360131_257729215_n.jpg

Yikes!

"That's no moon, it's a TAG watch!"

• Reply 95 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Are there any pictures out there that aren't computer renders?

Is it a shipping product, or just an announcement of what they want to ship?

Not strictly true. Apple makes extensive use of genuine photography http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/8/4311868/the-illusion-of-simplicity-photographer-peter-belanger-on-shooting

• Reply 96 of 115
    You guys are blind morons to not see a beautifully made watch with a decent price. All you guys will ever like is apple screwing you in the ass with the price. I'm will see my way out of here. Morons.
  • Reply 97 of 115
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    What I like about my 38mm ?Watch is its NOT huge. If you go round you naturally have to go bigger unless you want to cut off text. Or chose to have a smart watch that isn't very smart.
    Oh you mean just like your 38mm Watch does over the 42mm?

Also that Tag Heuer Connected on the bezel as well as the Intel Inside logo on the back looks so tacky.]

Oh you mean like slapping the Hermes logo on the back of the watch case when Hermes had absolutely nothing to do with the design, other than adding a watch band designed for their own watches and merely slipped onto Apple's lugs?
  • Reply 98 of 115

I had a tag - left my wrist the moment my Apple Watch arrived and has not returned since.

The Carrera looks bulky and old news, but old school types will love it.

• Reply 99 of 115
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    The only smart watch I would even consider getting is the Kairo, I bought one for my husband's birthday, unfortunately they are just to large for my wrist. Though according to their sales staff, a new woman's line will be released shortly. It's a fantastic watch that lasts at least 4 days of heavy use, 5 with moderate and up to 7 with light on a single charge. Sorry but those are the only exceptable numbers that I personally could live with, charging a watch daily just isn't something that I could ever use. There is also a new smart band that adds more functionality. You guys should check them out, they really are very nice watches. The Rose Gold and Black are my favorite. Much, much better looking than the Tag. The watches listed below are just a few of the models.

[IMG]https://kairoswatches.com/images/watches/ssw/icon/chrome/band_leather.png[/IMG]
    [IMG]https://kairoswatches.com/images/watches/watch_dimensions_ssw.png[/IMG]
    [IMG]https://kairoswatches.com/images/tbands/tband-awatch/od/msw_chrome/main.png[/IMG]
    [IMG]https://kairoswatches.com/images/tbands/tbanddetails1.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://cdn02.androidauthority.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Kairo-Hybrid-Android-Wear-Smartwatch-Functions.png[/IMG]
  • Reply 100 of 115
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercifull View Post

Not strictly true. Apple makes extensive use of genuine photography http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/8/4311868/the-illusion-of-simplicity-photographer-peter-belanger-on-shooting

Have you noticed, the time is set to 9:41 on Apple's pictures of iPhones?

There is a reason for this.