Unlikely rumor claims fifth-gen Apple TV will go into mass production in early 2016

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited December 2015
A dubious rumor on Friday from the Far East claims that a fifth-generation Apple TV is starting trial production this month, and will go into mass production as early as the first quarter of 2016, just a few months after the fourth-generation model arrived in consumers' living rooms.

The source of the questionable report is the usual Taiwanese supply chain sources who speak with DigiTimes, a Taiwanese industry publication with an unreliable track record. While the site does occasionally provide accurate information on Apple's future product plans, it is frequently the source of inaccurate rumors, particularly with respect to the timing of product launches.

Friday's report alleges that the upgraded Apple TV will have a new CPU demanding a "heat-dissipation solution" to keep it cool. An updated processor will "add new functions to help it [the Apple TV] no longer serve only as a set-top box," the publication suggested.

Production will allegedly be handled by Quanta Computer, instead of Foxconn.

However, a new Apple TV is extremely unlikely so quickly after the release of a fourth-gen model in late October. Apple almost always holds to annual release schedules, and the Apple TV in particular has actually been slow to update -- the third-gen model was introduced in 2012.

One possibility is that the company is planning a minor revision. In January 2013 Apple issued a "Rev. A" update of the third-gen device, making no major improvements but swapping in some new components.

DigiTimes's sources claimed that a fifth-gen model will add new functions, however, which suggests more than a revision. The people didn't say what kind of functions Apple might add.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    4K would seem an obvious upgrade considering Apple's demographics and availability in competing devices.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,289member
    I could be wrong, but it seems the new ATV already has the hardware to support 4K, just needs the firmware to enable the cabability. This is the key factor in me not upgrading yet. Already have a 4K TV with built-in streaming and would upgrade to the new ATV if it offered it. The missing optical output, while annoying, is not a dealbreaker for me.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    Does anyone know for fact if the current version can or can't handle 4k? I know this feature is not enabled but can the hardware handle it? Just curious if a hardware or software update is needed.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    According to Andy Ihnatko, he directly questioned a higher-up at Apple and they confirmed no 4K upgradability.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    latifbplatifbp Posts: 544member
    4K support. Time to pay twice for the same TV. I'd predict probably 2017, but maybe later next year.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    These new forums are whack. I had to sign up as someone new because it couldn't find my email address!

Anyway as far as this rumor goes consider the source. DigiTimes has a horrible track record and hardly ever gets rumors right.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    davendaven Posts: 697member

These new forums are whack. I had to sign up as someone new because it couldn't find my email address!

Anyway as far as this rumor goes consider the source. DigiTimes has a horrible track record and hardly ever gets rumors right.

You don't to know your old email address. I have several email addresses and just entered my user name and the password reset link was sent to my email address associated with this account. I then just looked in my various email accounts and found the ai email.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    Perhaps they will build a Pro Apple TV for business conference rooms.

Apple has a partnership with Cisco for video conferencing that may need and AppleTV Pro with advanced FaceTime conferencing features.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 9 of 41

Perhaps they will build a Pro Apple TV for business conference rooms.

Great idea. So this new product would not replace the ATV4, it would supplement it for a different class of users (enterprise).
  • Reply 10 of 41
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Nonsense. They just released the new Apple TV.

Honestly, it must be a success since competitors are probably spreading false rumors to slow Apple TV sales.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    null

Not seeing it in the mobile site. The "null" (above) is what you get when you try to quote.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 12 of 41
    It may be that Apple finally cut a deal with a major cable company to provide cable boxes. Hardware modifications might include a coaxial cable connection port and maybe an extra ethernet port. Thus your new cable box would be a combo AppleTV and cable box. That would really put the screws to Amazon to put out an Amazon app for Apple TV.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    daven said:

It may be that Apple finally cut a deal with a major cable company to provide cable boxes. Hardware modifications might include a coaxial cable connection port and maybe an extra ethernet port. Thus your new cable box would be a combo AppleTV and cable box. That would really put the screws to Amazon to put out an Amazon app for Apple TV.

The full version of the site actually does work for quoting.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    If it is a combo AppleTV + cable box, it could also allow cable companies to stream 4k cable stations giving users an incentive to keep cable TV.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    4K support will obviously be introduced when Apple have secured the contractual rights with the content owners. Speaking with tech people at Apple has left me with the belief that 4K support can be enabled with a firmware update, though no one would make an explicit statement (which would violate their NDA).

Every upgrade that could take place in 2016 (e.g. support for Bluetooth keyboards, etc.) should require at most a firmware upgrade. I would not be surprised to see a minor revision in 2016, but I would be surprised to see a fifth generation Apple TV before H2 2017.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    A pro model would be interesting...good thought...not sure they can differentiate it enough to justify versus having enterprise settings built into the OS.

• Reply 17 of 41
    mike1 said:

I could be wrong, but it seems the new ATV already has the hardware to support 4K, just needs the firmware to enable the cabability. This is the key factor in me not upgrading yet. Already have a 4K TV with built-in streaming and would upgrade to the new ATV if it offered it. The missing optical output, while annoying, is not a dealbreaker for me.

What is your issue with the optical output? I just run HDMI to the TV and then use the TV optical out to my receiver. This works awesome. Not judging just curious what the issue is so I understand your perspective. Others have stated this also.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    I got a launch day ATV4. I really like it. Good value.

But - it sadly and suddenly died 2 days ago. It became unresponsive, flashing the light in the front, and cycling the HDMI display to the apple logo for a few seconds, then blank and repeat. Likely it could have been restored by connecting to iTunes, but of course I have no USB-C cable. First time I ever needed to hard connect a ATV.

But here's the better news: I took it to the local apple store in the original packaging. Walked in door, guy in blue shirt greeted me. I said "no workee." He asked when I bought (and launch day was less than 90 days ago, so that was probably a conditioned response.) Gave him my receipt, and 5 seconds later he walked off to hand me a brand new unit. Whole thing took 2 minutes.

What a great customer experience. Yes, it sucks it died, but man, that's how you get loyal customers. Told the guy "thank you from a shareholder."

Off topic: these new AI forums are not wonderful. Looks like AI is overhauling the whole site. Yuck.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    I imagine the new Apple TV will see an update much sooner than in years past since it is now officially out of the gate and no longer a "hobby". I don't think it will be early 2016, as coming out with a new model that soon would anger customers (I know I'd be pissed having just bought a gen 4). Having a gen 5 show up in late 2016 would not surprise me however.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,010member
    this doesn't make too much sense; you'd have a lot of pissed off people who are buying the brand spanking new one for Christmas...