Apple sells 74.8M iPhones, rakes in $75.9B in revenue in company's biggest quarter ever

Comments

• Reply 41 of 135
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    minglok50 said:
    Please stop commenting.
    You signed up just to say that? 
  • Reply 42 of 135
    A 25% YOY decline in iPads is not a good sign. 
    you're right. that's eight straight quarters of declining growth.
  • Reply 43 of 135
    Apple still generates nearly all of the smartphone profits. 

They are still the most profitable PC maker but those sales were off also. 

If Apple is experiencing difficulty with sales and profits, the rest of the industry is in far greater distress. 
    They will be fine as a company but not with the market.  Value funds will stick with Apple but Growth funds will pull out.  Apple's projection for end of next quarter is worse than analyst projections.
    edited January 2016 asdasd
  • Reply 44 of 135
    msantti said:
    A sore spot but have been declining for like 2 years.

Just do not have the year (or two) over year upgrades like the iPhone has.

Of ourse, they got 18 billion in profits with sucky iPad sales.
    Macs don't have YoY upgrades like iPhones either but they've been seeing great growth relative to PC market. the Mac is strong.
  • Reply 45 of 135
    ac1234ac1234 Posts: 138member
    sog35 said

...Really the only thing that can stop this drop is the buyback....

What are you smoking????  What has the $100,000,000,000 spent on buybacks gotten us thus far?  Oh - that would be the same stock price that AAPL was trading at 3.25 years ago.

Buybacks to prop up stock price is a huge sign that the markets have no confidence in the stock - and very fleeting in effect.
    edited January 2016 cnocbui
  • Reply 46 of 135

sog35 said:
    iPad is getting canibalized by 6+ and 6s+
    i'm assuming you mean iPad mini / iPad Air
  • Reply 47 of 135
    Cook spending A LOT of time on currency.
  • Reply 48 of 135
    sog35 said:
    iPad is getting canibalized by 6+ and 6s+
    Exactly. Better to eat yourself than be eaten by a stranger.
    palominecali
  • Reply 49 of 135
    Given the way the iPhone releases work, it seems to me that one meaningful way to look at things is on a two-year cycle. In dollars, profits are up by ~38% over the same quarter two years ago, despite the foreign exchange difficulties and various other challenges. However, that 38% doesn't even take into consideration the share buybacks--split-adjusted EPS two years ago were $2.07 vs. $3.28 now, up well over 50%. That is very respectable growth, especially for a company this size. In the same period, the share price is up by roughly a third, which by some measures might not seem terrible, but given that it was already trading at a relatively low multiple and EPS are up well over 50% since then, it does seem pretty irrational.
    palomineflaneur
  • Reply 50 of 135
    You don't arrive at these numbers by accident.  Just when you think Apple is slowing will they launch something and keep it hot and fresh.  They have a lot of cards they're not showing.  They know how to play the game of business.
    cali
  • Reply 51 of 135

iPads ain't phones. The market is by now saturated with them, and older models are still going strong. 

And the largest iPhone naturally eats into iPad sales. Pretty sure Apple is just fine with that. 

But even in 2016, there are still many who don't understand Apple. Which is fine, because this crowd is most amusing come quarterly report time. 
    No, sorry I don't think for one minute that Apple is "just fine" with iPad sales continuing to decline every quarter. Especially in a quarter where a brand new model was released. This was a 25% YOY decline. Who would be happy with that?!?
    no one.
  • Reply 52 of 135
    AppleInsider said:
    "Our team delivered Apple's biggest quarter ever, thanks to the world's most innovative products and all-time record sales of iPhone, Apple Watch and Apple TV," said Tim Cook, Apple's CEO. "The growth of our Services business accelerated during the quarter to produce record results, and our installed base recently crossed a major milestone of one billion active devices."

Of course the above comment about the AppleWatch could still mean a small number of sales since it hasn't been out long at all. But the fact Cook mentioned it at all is a good sign of sales.

He mentioned the watch but not iPad. Which leads me to believe iPad Pro sales were soft. 
    Possibly because it costs an arm and leg and doesn't actually have much over and above the original iPad to justify that $2000 price tag.  Making an "alternative to a PC" that in some cases costs more than a PC but actually does less, is hardly a recipe for success. 
    edited January 2016 freshmakercnocbui
  • Reply 53 of 135
    ac1234ac1234 Posts: 138member
    I'm listening to Cook read his prepared comments - a lot of financial engineering talk - nothing exciting - he is pathetic.

canukstorm
  • Reply 54 of 135
    brucemc said:
    What is the USD currency exchange factor compared to last year (YoY for this quarter)?  Based on how it seems most currencies around the world have fallen sharply compared to USD, I would say it was substantial.  Could be close to 10%.

That impacts everything - lower units shipped due to higher prices, lower revenue & earnings because of those lower shipments and also because exchange rates fall more than prices at times, and thus earning less in USD on those units.

The headline would be a bit better if foreign exchange headwinds didn't impact that ~10% - like revenue might have been over $80B USD.

Always important to look at more than the headline numbers and media blathering
    Here in Canada our currency's taken a shit kicking. When I had to purchase the iPhone 6S Plus 64GB with Apple Care +, it cost me around $1,500 (give or take) after taxes, unlocked.
  • Reply 55 of 135
    ac1234 said:
    I'm listening to Cook read his prepared comments - a lot of financial engineering talk - nothing exciting - he is pathetic.

This is a financial earnings call it's not supposed to be exciting.
    revenantcaliicoco3chia
  • Reply 56 of 135
    minglok50 said:
    You signed up just to say that? 
    I've been following this forum for ages and I've finally had enough of sog35 and his same rhetoric of getting rid of Tim Cook, even though he's presided over one of the most successful periods of Apple! It is pretty obvious that Wall Street will never give Apple a chance. More of a opportunity of Apple buying back stock at a undervalued price.
    fastasleepcaliicoco3gtr
  • Reply 57 of 135
    ac1234 said:
    sog35 said

...Really the only thing that can stop this drop is the buyback....

What are you smoking????  How has the $100,000,000,000 spent on buybacks gotten us thus far?  Oh - that would be the same stock price that AAPL was trading at 3.25 years ago.

Buybacks to prop up stock price is a huge sign that the markets have no confidence in the stock - and very fleeting in effect.
    Buybacks increase the EPS and reduce dividend expenditures.  They also take stock out of weak hands.  There are a lot of weak hands but the stock would indeed be lower without the buyback. 
    paulmjohnsonRayz2016
  • Reply 58 of 135
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    The iPad pro is a market protection ploy. It isn't ever going to b a volume seller. Apple needs to keep the iPad mini, for the same reason, but it will lose sales to the 6s+, but I seriously doubt Apple loses any sleep about that. But the meat and potatoes iPad Air has not been upgraded. It needs some serious attention.

the iPad needs some serious attention to truly make it a laptop replacement. What functionality does it need to make it the go to device for workplaces? Apple coasted on initial success. A big mistake.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 59 of 135
    Sounds like Watch had a very good quarter. 
    cali
  • Reply 60 of 135
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    So according to Neil Cybart in my Twitter feed it looks like every product line was a miss vs. expectations and Q2 is low guidance. But CNBC isn't as negative as I thought they would be and the stock is flat after market.
    Mostly because a miss was priced into the stock already, I feel. 
    I think you're right on that.  The P/E is already really low.