Apple's VocalIQ takeover could hint at Siri upgrades for WWDC and beyond

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2016
Assuming it makes it into Siri upgrades that may start as soon as next month's WWDC, technology Apple acquired from VocalIQ could greatly improve the assistant's accuracy and contextual awareness, one report claims.

Prior to Apple's takeover, VocalIQ's technology scored over 90 percent in difficult accuracy tests -- compared with roughly 20 percent for Siri, Google Now, or Microsoft's Cortana, a source told Business Insider. This includes interpreting complex commands an assistant like Siri would normally fail on, such as "Find a nearby Chinese restaurant with open parking and Wi-Fi that's kid-friendly."

Apple bought VocalIQ before the company could even launch an app, and reportedly let them continue to work out of Cambridge in the U.K. on integrating their tech into Siri.

One of the most significant features of the technology is said to be its ability to remember context permanently, such that in the Chinese restaurant example a person could say "Find me a Mexican restaurant instead" an hour later and still have it remember the original criteria.

The system is said to work so well that users may never have to glance at a device's screen to confirm anything. It may also be better at filtering out ambient noise, and adapting to accents, a notorious problem with current voice assistants.

It's speculated that Apple could want this screen-free experience for two upcoming hardware products, namely its Amazon Echo competitor and/or the Apple Car. The company would presumably bring Siri improvements to all its platforms however, such as iPhones, iPads, and the Apple TV.

Next month Apple is expected to showcase a Siri SDK for third-party developers, which even without VocalIQ will expand the assistant's usefulness simply by letting more apps tap into voice commands.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    nbertnbert Posts: 1member
    Can you check the 'Cambridge' in this article, the last I heard, VoiceIQ were a UK company based in Cambridge - UK. Not Mass. 
    elijahgireland[Deleted User]
  • Reply 2 of 16
    rhoninrhonin Posts: 60member
    Kind of neat however the biggest issue I have with Siri (and why I now seldom use it) is the ability for Siri to give me a clear cut answer that I can easily use.  Understanding what I say and mean is nice.  Without the knowledge needed to do what I want with it ....  Siri IQ boost Siriously needed.
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 3 of 16
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    ...technology Apple acquired from VoiceIQ ...

...VoiceIQ's technology...

Apple bought VoiceIQ...

...even without VoiceIQ will...
    Nice one AI/Roger Fingas, it's VocalIQ.

Apple Acquires Artificial-Intelligence Startup VocalIQ - WSJ

nbert said:
    Can you check the 'Cambridge' in this article, the last I heard, VoiceIQ were a UK company based in Cambridge - UK. Not Mass. 
    And yes, it's based in Cambridge, UK. 

I really hope this improves Apple's fuzzy logic not only in Siri, but other areas such as Maps search. All my problems with Apple Maps stem from its search. I ask Siri to take me to Canterbury for example, and despite iOS knowing I frequent Canterbury often (offering directions in the notification centre), it decides I would rather drive to Canterbury in New Zealand. That's just great, since I live in the UK and Canterbury, NZ is about 12,000 miles away, and Canterbury, UK is usually less 100.
    edited May 2016 doozydozenpropodcali[Deleted User]patchythepirate
  • Reply 4 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Is TechInsider part of Business Insider or did BI just steal their story and claim it as their own? Something they are known to do.
    edited May 2016 cornchip
  • Reply 5 of 16
    elijahg said:

I really hope this improves Apple's fuzzy logic not only in Siri, but other areas such as Maps search. All my problems with Apple Maps stem from its search. I ask Siri to take me to Canterbury for example, and despite iOS knowing I frequent Canterbury often (offering directions in the notification centre), it decides I would rather drive to Canterbury in New Zealand. That's just great, since I live in the UK and Canterbury, NZ is about 12,000 miles away, and Canterbury, UK is usually less 100.
    Haha, fun example. Yes Search in Maps is rubbish. One tiny mistake and it leads to no results for me, or like you even without a mistake assumes I want to drive to South America or smtn.

I remember iTunes search not so long ago would be thrown off by misplacing an apostrophe or adding one in when there shouldn't be any (you know how song names are unintuitive often). I believe that's fixed now in iTunes. I reported it a few times over a couple of years. Maps search feels like this often and has terrible POI gaps sometimes.

In other news my brother's car company charges €230 for a download file to update his GPS in his car with a UI that sucks donkey dick. I guess things could be worse :P
    edited May 2016 elijahg
  • Reply 6 of 16
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    Would be great if AI included the date VocalIQ was acquired by Apple, which was October 2nd 2015, so it's readers can have a bit more context. Apple has had only 8 months to fold in VocalIQ's tech into Siri. Now armed with said knowledge I am skeptical that full integration will be completed and ready by WWDC 2016. Your thoughts?
    edited May 2016 propodcali
  • Reply 7 of 16
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I hope my Siri dreams finally come true.

If Apple indeed does announce an Echo competitor, wanna bet it won't be anything like it?
    Kinda how Apple Watch is often compared to Fitbit even though they're not even in the same league.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Would be great if AI included the date VocalIQ was acquired by Apple, which was October 2nd 2015, so it's readers can have a bit more context. Apple has had only 8 months to fold in VocalIQ's tech into Siri. Now armed with said knowledge I am skeptical that full integration will be completed and ready by WWDC 2016. Your thoughts?
    In one year Authentech went from a crude prototype design to Touch ID in the new iPhone. 8 months with the right team of people and the right leadership who knows what they could have done.
    edited May 2016 doozydozencalidiplication
  • Reply 9 of 16

cali said:
    Whatever they announce this year in terms of integrating a their party technology with amazing features in the long run does not matter. All these companies including Apple are going to constantly work on this stuff. These voice assistants will improve over time regardless and can be updated via software with the flick of a switch—they don't even require a local update. Google will have certain advantages over Apple, and Apple will have a privacy advantage over most other companies in tech. Rome was not built in a day.
    edited May 2016 doozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Here's to hoping that Apple goes ahead and cements a long term deal with IBM for rights to exclusive access to Watson as it continues to advance toward the goal of a general artificial intelligence (which I've heard described as the "once in a universe" goal).
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 11 of 16
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    ireland said:

cali said:
    Whatever they announce this year in terms of integrating a their party technology with amazing features in the long run does not matter. All these companies including Apple are going to constantly work on this stuff. These voice assistants will improve over time regardless and can be updated via software with the flick of a switch—they don't even require a local update. Google will have certain advantages over Apple, and Apple will have a privacy advantage over most other companies in tech. Rome was not built in a day.
    5 years with little improvement is too long.

Don't be surprised if iOS 10 has a very advanced Siri.

ireland said:
    In one year Authentech went from a crude prototype design to Touch ID in the new iPhone. 8 months with the right team of people and the right leadership who knows what they could have done.

Siri has all the pieces in place for VocalIQ already. Remember, iOS 10 won't be released in June but later in the year. More time to get it right.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 12 of 16
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Siri has all the pieces in place for VocalIQ already. Remember, iOS 10 won't be released in June but later in the year. More time to get it right.

iOS 10 should be released with iPhone 7, as normally Apple does, however it does not necessary include Siri with VocallQ. Hoping Apple does not dumb down VocallQ though.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 13 of 16
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    Siri needs all the help it can get.  
    I honestly never even use it, or should i say try to use it.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 14 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    frankie said:
    Siri needs all the help it can get.  
    I honestly never even use it, or should i say try to use it.
    Regrettably, the same story for me. I've given up trying to find the right words to describe what I want and haven't used it for anything more complicated than setting timers or making an occasional reminder for myself. Very simple requests usually end in frustration.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Why would Apple need an Echo competitor? I already carry my iPhone to every room. It can hear me say 'Hey Siri' while it's sitting in my pocket.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 16 of 16
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Regrettably, the same story for me. I've given up trying to find the right words to describe what I want and haven't used it for anything more complicated than setting timers or making an occasional reminder for myself. Very simple requests usually end in frustration.
    It would be good to be able to text Siri (not just via editing spoken input) and have it behave like a context-aware assistant. This is especially true for Siri under OS X, which would be able to replace a search engine box. If you just typed "next train?" while at a train station, it should be able to figure out everything you need from that and text it back.

It would help to be able to add data to it manually so timetables (PDF, Word etc) for things like waste collection, school times, opening hours, TV guide or transport. If you add a regular transport timetable and it knows you aren't near the stop, it can alert you that you are going to miss your ride.

People would also use Siri more if it replaced Notes and Reminders, maybe Calendar. There could just be a button inside Siri to type and it would have options for making it a note or a reminder. Right now if you have to be at a specific place at a specific time, you are going to want a reminder, a map and a note of who the meeting is with or what it's about. This means the data is stored between 3-4 different apps (Maps, Notes, Reminders, Calendar, Contacts possibly Siri) and you have to make sure they are all correct but it should be done entirely with Siri and typed for accuracy.

An overview page would be nice like a daily planner that merges requests and data into a timeline. Then you could see at a glance a lot of different personalized data. It can add recommendations in the timeline like TV shows to watch, local events. If you asked about gift ideas and noted an item, it can put in the timeline to get that item or similar and notify when nearby stores have the item.

Siri under OS X could be really useful. Being able to do image and video searches and have the results show up directly without opening the browser would be very efficient. If you need a picture, just type what you want into Siri and it will show thumbnails that can be expanded and dragged into an image editor. If the results are wrong, further searches would narrow it down.

Where it improves over a search engine is being able to do things locally. You could type a search for a song e.g "latest Taylor Swift song". It would instantly show up the latest song and let you hear it. You can get the song manually. Then you could type "sync to iPhone" and it will store that on the iPhone. You could sync transport timetables from the Mac or iPad to the phone. If a timetable is an image that Siri can't decipher, it can just store the table optimally for display.

If you had a paid human personal assistant, you would give them documents and all sorts of data for them to manage and organize so that you can just ask them about your schedule and they give you the summary of what you need so you can do those things efficiently. Siri can behave more like that and less like a standard search engine responding to queries. It can be a way for you to easily build up a personal database, which I think people would find a lot more useful daily.