Apple CEO Tim Cook calls for racial equality in light of US shooting deaths

Comments

• Reply 61 of 121
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    wizard69 said:
    Let the investigations play out. If the police were guilty of murder, throw them under the jail, then, capital punishment is a good method of stopping murderers. 

Also, 4 police officers are dead tonight, anyone think we'll hear from Tim Cook on that? 

This is the ovewhelming reality, the vast majority of people shot by cops are in fact criminals. Due to the lack of strongly enforced death penalties it is a good thing that people, criminals really, are getting killed in this manner. We don't have a problem with racial inequality in this nation, rather we have an ethnic group that is largely populated with criminals that want a lawless society. Until people wake up as to just how off the tracks this community is racial equality will never happen.
    Finally someone who getss it. This has nothing to do with race but rather with a group of people who act like idiots. 
    apple ][
  • Reply 62 of 121
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,253member
    I was talking to my daughter about all the shootings this morning and she told me their were riots in her town as well. People grabbing police batons then throwing them back at them. First of all, that's just plain stupid. You're asking for retaliation from the police.

Second, I grew up during the Watts riots and all the hatred against blacks. I also grew up playing cowboys and indians along with GI Joe. This country was founded on hatred for others, primarily the British, but it extended towards others with native americans getting the brunt of the hatred. Bring in the slaves and we hated them. Even group of immigrants were hated. Society has allowed the hatred to continue with discrimination, the KKK, the American Nazi party, all sorts of manual and electronic games promoting killing of people, even paintball. TV shows and movies promote killing and fighting. These are usually the highest grossing movies (look at the Bourne series--can't call it a trilogy anymore). Look at Star Trek. It was supposed to be about humans and people from other galaxies getting along but they still had to kill someone to get any ratings. Boxing was a sport with rules but people couldn't exist with something where someone wasn't hurt so all the full contact, almost murder "sports" are here. I'm surprised this country hasn't killed each other with all the in-breading we've had for centuries. We complain about the Muslins yet Americans are just as bad at killing our own people let along non-Americans. We keep trying to "just get along" but until we face the truth and stop teaching our children how to shoot people in games and using real guns, we'll never get to the point where we can trust our neighbors, our fellow Americans or people from other countries. 

It's all our faults people pick up guns and shoot police. It's our fault police shoot first and as questions later. Stop teaching hatred for others. Stop teaching children how to kill. Extend the hand of friendship instead of a fist, knife, or gun. We're all the problem and we're the only way to find a solution. This isn't Obama's fault, it isn't Hilary's fault, it's all of our faults and time to deal with it by admitting it's been our fault forever. 
    londorcnocbuipbrstreetgsphericbaconstangpropod
  • Reply 63 of 121
    In light of two fatal police shootings of black men in as many days, Apple chief executive Tim Cook voiced a call for justice on Thursday, calling the recent events "senseless killings."

Civil rights leader Rep. John Lewis (left) meets with Tim Cook at Apple's headquarters in Cupertino, Calif.

In his tweet, Cook alluded to two police shootings that left two black men dead this week.

On Tuesday, Alton Sterling, 37, was killed buy Baton Rouge. La., police responding to a 911 call, and yesterday Philando Castile died from wounds sustained during a routine traffic stop in Falcon Heights, Minn. Cellphone video footage from both encounters surfaced on social media and the web, sparking outrage nationwide.

"Senseless killings this week remind us that justice is still out of reach for many," Cook said. "We can and must do better."

The message was in part a response to a tweet from civil rights leader and Georgia congressman John Lewis, who earlier on Thursday reminded followers that he was jailed for using a "white" restroom in Mississippi. Lewis attached his mugshot as a memento to the racial inequity he and many others believe still pervades America. He was released 55 years ago to the day.

During a book tour last year, Lewis visited Apple's headquarters in Cupertino, Calif., where he talked one-on-one with Cook in a closed door meeting

Cook has long been an outspoken supporter of the civil rights movement, using his status in the technology community as a platform to speak plainly about gender and race inequality. His philanthropic work earned him an award from the Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights organization, where he now serves as a member of the board.

• Reply 64 of 121
    thebuddathebudda Posts: 28member
    schlack said:
    This is why many people respect and buy apple products all over the world. They take the right side of history, not just the path of least resistance. The fact that 4+ officers were gunned down tonight does not diminish the significance of this issue.
    The reason people buy Apple products is that they are superior products. If anything, anytime a company takes public sides on hot button political issues they tend to lose sales, there's plenty of studies and defunct companies to prove so.

As for "the right side", why doesn't Apple call out the tens of thousands of black-on-black killings as being senseless? How about the massively disproportionate number of abortions in black communities each year that have taken literally millions of black lives? How about their support of organizations like Planned Parenthood who primarily target poor minority areas and was founded on the basis of diminishing an unwanted minority population? I guess the only black lives that really matter are the ones that die at the hands of law enforcement officers, most of which are the result of the officers responding to a call for a crime that person committed to begin with such as in Louisiana (if you didn't know, they were responding to a call about a suspicious person selling bootleg CD's in front of a convenience store and had pointed a gun at a store customer after an altercation).

Why doesn't Tim Cook call out the politicians who pass all these absurd, tedious laws that law enforcement must by law enforce? How about calling out NYC for their absurdly high taxes and local laws against selling loose cigarettes that perpetuates the black market and high demand that caused Michael Brown to become the subject of a law enforcement encounter? Police go to where crime happens to enforce the laws they are legally bound to enforce and they respond accordingly to what they encounter, they do not go hunting for minorities.
    clydebarrow
  • Reply 65 of 121
    ALL It has been 151 years since the end of the US Civil War and approx 60 years since the US Civil Rights movement and Great Society programs have been enacted. The rift between blacks and whites is as great as ever even with the election of a African American President. There is no other equal level of conflict that exists betwwen other races or ethnic groups as the black-white divide, clearly existring methods are not working and the problem I suspect is mostly cultural and not merely skin color as witness by the successful and rapid integration of other races and ethnic groups into the USA mainstream within a generation or two. We need soe deep soul searching here.
    clydebarrowlondor
  • Reply 66 of 121
    marrtyymarrtyy Posts: 8member
    I find it ironic that a man who fund-raises for Paul Ryan who has/will endorse Trump a hate-monger speaks out about hate and killing. Hmmmm.
  • Reply 67 of 121
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    irnchriz said:
    why- said:

is it the law in America that the sentence for resisting arrest is death? because that's kind of messed up
    No, but a police officer is a human and is going to react. When you threaten someone with a gun, or try to grab theirs, naturally a human being fears for his safety. Especially when he knows you've got a violent rap sheet three city blocks long. 

It's like crossing the street on foot. You might have the right of way but if you step in front of a moving car you're going to get hurt. People who didn't get into altercations with the police didn't get shot by police. 
    They have either people with the wrong temperament being officers or piss poor training.  And I'm sure the manual doesn't say 'hold down suspect and then fill full of lead'
    Absolute baloney! The whole problem we have right now is the political environment in Washington that encourages hate. That hate ends up being directed at police officers because they are the most direct line to government. All of this could have been prevented years ago if we as a nation demanded a violent and destructive response to the Black Live Matter non sense.
  • Reply 68 of 121
    I'd like to get behind these causes but then you have Dylan Noble who's story hasn't hit main stream media which means that all the media wants to do is perpetuate racial tension and will not be happy until there's a full scale race war.
  • Reply 69 of 121
    irnchriz said:
    apple ][ said:
    I also have some common sense advice to anybody of any color or race, if they wish to avoid getting shot by the police.

Don't be a moron. Don't resist arrest. Be respectful, don't be a douchebag and I probably shouldn't even have to write this last one, but don't go for their gun or attempt to get violent with the police.

Most of the people who have gotten shot deserved what they got, due to their incredible stupidity. I don't care what color you are, don't resist arrest. If you do, then whatever happens to you will be your own making, and I couldn't care less what happens to you in that case.
    Nope Shoot first ask questions later is not an acceptable policy.   As this is now apparently the norm black people are undoubtedly afraid of the police and will likely act erratically as they will expect to be shot and murdered.  This is a cycle which will only escalate. 
    The only way to survive a gun fight is to shoot first. This should be pretty damn obvious by now. As for the cycle escalating You are damn right it is going to escalate and frankly it won't be good for people of color.
  • Reply 70 of 121
    Ani said:
    First of all, I condemn shooting and killing police officers. Chances are high it will be the "wrong" officers anyway.

But as someone not living in the US, in a country with strict gun controls and a tiny portion of US gun deaths, I really wonder:

Gun proponents often quote the Second Amendment and somehow it always ends with the right to defend against an evil government, hence the need for assault rifles and other military grade weapons.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Obviously, this is not about guns for rabbit hunts (neither was it about killing children and random innocent citizens though). It seems that someone (or multiple persons) are taking the Second Amendment into real actions, not just a theoretical right.

I'm interested to learn how the NRA and their puppets are going to spin-doctor this.

You don't put a spin on murder and frankly the weapon means nothing. Murder is murder and it doesn't matter if a knitting needle is used or a cannon. In any event this is a direct result of the political establishment in Washington creating a hostile environment for criminals. The fact of the matter is that the overwhelming majority of black people killed by cops have been criminals or in the act of criminal behavior.
  • Reply 71 of 121
    macxpress said:
    apple ][ said:
    Yep, this is Obama's making. Even the good sheriff David Clark agrees with me.

And I've said it before, but I sure wish that Apple would STFU about politics!

Apple didn't say anything political...Tim Cook did. Tim is a US Citizen just like I assume you and I and has every right to speak out. Just because AI decides to put it on their website doesn't mean Apple is saying anything. I for one are glad people are speaking out. If you just sit in your house and never say anything nothing will ever get done. If it takes someone who is a little more famous to get the ball rolling then so be it. Its not like this is distracting him from doing his normal everyday job. He's not going out all over the country doing political speeches instead of running Apple. 

I don't want to sound like a dick and I'm sorry if anyone takes this that way, but police departments are doing it to themselves. When normal traffic stops turn into a shooting for no apparent reason, stuff like this is going to happen. I don't know where this I guess I'll call it police brutality is coming from. Some police officers get a gun or a stun gun and think they're god or something...like they're above the law. The main focus of a police department is to protect our citizens, not kill them because someone got lippy with them at a traffic stop (or whatever the innocent case may be) and then make up some bullshit story to cover their ass. What is that showing everyone else? How is that setting a positive example for others?
    Sure Tim Cook can say whatever he wants. The problem is he is making himself look like an idiot and that unfortunately isn't something you do as a leader of a large company. The police aren't doing anything it is the political establishment, the Democrats, that have created this situation. They promise the world to the African American population but then repeatedly screw them over. For whatever reason the African American community then directs their anger at the cops, probably because that is the only contact they have with government. The facts are grossly misrepresented, cops don't kill enough black people for it to even be noted. As for the issue at traffic stops, if an officer suspects some one is reaching for a gun he literally has only milliseconds to respond. So yeah the right thing to do is to pump the idiot full of lead and survive the encounter. Actually you are wrong on another issue. Due to the lack of well used death penalties in the USA one of the most important services a cop can offer the community is to shoot dead someone in the middle of committing a crime. Especially over the last decade where the political landscape has encouraged criminal activity. We need to bring some sort of balance back to life in America and that starts by eliminating those involved in criminal activity. That may very well require a Constitutional amendment to side step the Supreme Court. In any event change is needed and the faster that change happens the better.
  • Reply 72 of 121
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    apple ][ said:
    Real smart Tim Cook! And real smart Obama! 

Thanks to Obama and the entire liberal media, many police officers have been shot dead tonight, and many more wounded! The liberal media and the left has been on a Jihad against the police for a long time now. This is the result of their lies, their instigation and their rhetoric.

I wonder if Obama will invite the shooters to the Whitehouse and give them a medal? The Whitehouse has hosted BLM before and Obama loves BLM.

Once again, Apple is on the wrong side of history, taking sides with the bad guys.

I think you'll find out that you've been on the wrong side of history.
    londorsingularitydementuschikanbaconstang
  • Reply 73 of 121
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    wizard69 said:

The fact of the matter is that the overwhelming majority of black people killed by cops have been criminals or in the act of criminal behavior.
    The President commented that blacks and latinos make up a third of the US population but make up more than half of the incarcerated population. There is a reason for that but it is not racist tendencies of the criminal justice system as he suggested as much as it is a matter of lack of education. That is where the racism is. Blacks and latinos are not given the resources to gain an education and thus remain in poverty and tend to join gangs, commit crimes, and hence run into trouble with the law.  If you look at the asian immigrants in the US, the parents sacrifice everything for the children's education. In the impoverished black and latino communities, no so much, the parents are uneducated and so are their children. Long term the only way to solve these violent incidents is with better education.
    baconstangpropod
  • Reply 74 of 121
    Ani said:
    Ani said:
    First of all, I condemn shooting and killing police officers. Chances are high it will be the "wrong" officers anyway.

But as someone not living in the US, in a country with strict gun controls and a tiny portion of US gun deaths, I really wonder:

Gun proponents often quote the Second Amendment and somehow it always ends with the right to defend against an evil government, hence the need for assault rifles and other military grade weapons.

Obviously, this is not about guns for rabbit hunts (neither was it about killing children and random innocent citizens though). It seems that someone (or multiple persons) are taking the Second Amendment into real actions, not just a theoretical right.

I'm interested to learn how the NRA and their puppets are going to spin-doctor this.

Not exactly sure what you're talking about. This was an act of terror, not someone defending themselves from a tyrannical government. You are really no better than the shooter in that you're condemning a whole group of people based on the action of a few, just like the shooter condemned the whole of police based on the actions of a few. 
    In my opinion it was an act of terror and I condemned the shooting. Not sure why you put me into the same basket as the shooters.

I just picked up a popular pro-gun argument derived from the Second Amendment and expressed my confusion about where people do draw the line. Isn't shooting police officers of a tyrannic government also an act of terror? And who decides whether the government is tyrannic? If law enforcement is killing people daily, often enough innocent citizens mind you, when is it acceptable that people make use of their right to bear arms and to fight the government?

As far as I understand, it is almost impossible to make such decisions with-out also committing an act of terror. The Second Amendment is a totally theoretical concept and I don't see how it can be applicable in a modern democratic country.

30,000 gun-related deaths each year. Including kids. No other civilised country on this planet is even close to these numbers. No other democracy on this planet would be able to defend such a death toll with some theoretical right that can't be executed with-out being an act of terror at the same time.
    I believe you are woefully misinformed. First to describe this as an act of terror is non sense. It is an act of murder directed at a specific group. As for tyranny this is hardly the case. This is the direct result of manipulation of ignorant people by the current administration to sew unrest in cities. The facts are largely far different than what the political left want you to believe. The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of black people shot and killed by police are criminals in the process of doing new crime. This is directly the result of the political left in this country encouraging this criminal behavior. The Second Amendment effective prevents the government from being able to institute policies contrary to the Constitution due to the real threat of an uprising. It is most interesting that those in political power right now have openly decried the Constitution and the freedom it outlines. In fact recently somebody went on record as saying the Bill of Rights and the Constitution needs to be repealed as it is outmoded. This is just part of the hostility that the current administration has created towards the country and it political systems.
    Lib-Simulator
  • Reply 75 of 121
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    wizard69 said:
    irnchriz said:
    They have either people with the wrong temperament being officers or piss poor training.  And I'm sure the manual doesn't say 'hold down suspect and then fill full of lead'
    Absolute baloney! The whole problem we have right now is the political environment in Washington that encourages hate. That hate ends up being directed at police officers because they are the most direct line to government. All of this could have been prevented years ago if we as a nation demanded a violent and destructive response to the Black Live Matter non sense.
    Rabid paranoia. Here's a guy whose sense of time and events is so compressed by watching TV news that he thinks Black Lives Matter is "years" old.

As for his advocacy for "a violent and destructive response," that speaks for itself. Along with Apple ][ and a few others here, we're in psychopath territory. Maybe Apple Insider should consider not running these stories any more. We're in the same gutter zone as white supremacy or neo Nazi websites.
    londorcnocbuinolamacguysingularitybaconstangpropod
  • Reply 76 of 121
    pbrstreetgpbrstreetg Posts: 184member
    apple ][ said:

Even though you've changed your profile pic, I still can't help but read all your posts in Trump's voice. 
    I think that I'll probably be changing it back again soon! We're all going to be hearing a lot more of his voice soon, perhaps for 8 more years!
    Oh Trump, who promises to be the best constitutional president ever, and to defend all the articles up to Article XII, yuge.
    baconstang
  • Reply 77 of 121
    Ani said:
    TurboPGT said:
    You wanna talk about spin? There is no argument in favor of gun control that is even remotely sane, or devoid of utter spin. Gun violence is like a pebble in the shoe of the U.S. It doesn't even register on the radar as a real problem.
    If 30,000 deaths every year, including kids, is no real problem... I don't know what qualifies as a problem then. No other country has this scale of gun-related deaths, not even remotely. And there is no argument in favor of such loose gun regulations. I can't remember any country that has something like a Second Amendment, but people can buy certain guns for hunting or sporting under more or less strict regulations. Yet all of these countries have a tiny fraction of the gun-related deaths per capita the US have.

You can thank the AGENDA for keeping it on television, and telling you that its an issue. Its actually amazing to me today how easy it is for me to size someone up...I know everything about your (lack of) intelligence, but by whether or not you regurgitate the opinion the television told you to have.
    I don't need a TV to F up my opinion. I can read numbers and compare them between first world democracies. But not even Iran or Russia or any other tyrannic regime has death tolls that high, even when including state-organised killings.

The only agenda I see is that of the NRA and their puppets. Making blood money and paying others with blood money while promoting some weird wild west dream. It's sickening.
    Actually I don't really believe you actually understand the numbers. Many of those deaths are suicide or legally justifiable killings such as in home invasions. As for kids, they die every day from all sorts of issues. I know growing up, while in high school one lovely young lady bought it by getting hit by a car. Another guy lost a son to a car. One guy bought it on a motor cycle. Fact of the matter is I've known of many child deaths over the years, some not far at all from where I'm living now. Not one of them caused by a gun though. So are you suggesting we ban cars and motor cycles. How about banning access to lakes and rivers because frankly there are drowning almost every year around here. I know of a family that was wiped out by a father going nuts with a butchers knife with only a son surviving due to running away as fast as he could. The fact is the number of accidental deaths due to guns in this country hardly even worth mentioning. Even the number of murders isn't as impressive as some like to make it out to be. The fact is tragedy strikes in many forms, and frankly more so in this country, but there is no real issue with guns.
    thewhitefalcon
  • Reply 78 of 121
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    flaneur said:
    We're in the same gutter zone as white supremacy or neo Nazi websites.
    Are you talking about BLM?, because BLM is basically the black KKK.

They're both racist, supremacist organizations, they both want segregation, and they both use violence and intimidation, including murder to further their cause.

And Obama and many others on the left support the black KKK.

Screw anybody who supports BLM and/or the KKK. 
  • Reply 79 of 121
    GymkhanaGymkhana Posts: 45member
    I'd be fine if Timmy just called for better software quality and reliability in his own company's products.
  • Reply 80 of 121
    ALL It has been 151 years since the end of the US Civil War and approx 60 years since the US Civil Rights movement and Great Society programs have been enacted. The rift between blacks and whites is as great as ever even with the election of a African American President. There is no other equal level of conflict that exists betwwen other races or ethnic groups as the black-white divide, clearly existring methods are not working and the problem I suspect is mostly cultural and not merely skin color as witness by the successful and rapid integration of other races and ethnic groups into the USA mainstream within a generation or two. We need soe deep soul searching here.
    This is a huge problem but the establishment of the Welfare state didn't help the situation but rather it made the situation much worst. Frankly I don't really understand the African American community, at least that part of the community that has embraced the welfare state. It is a hideous creation of the Democrats, the public housing for example is just another aspect of slavery that the Democrats have always supported. The absolutely hilarious thing here is that the Democrates actually got people on welfare to willingly move into these public housing prisons. I'm not sure which is worst, the Democrats inability to give up their connections with slavery, or the gullibility of people that let them continue. I do believe ignorance is a big part of the problem.
    apple ][Lib-Simulator