Apple Watch falls to 47 percent marketshare, but retains lead among smartwatches

Posted:
in Apple Watch
About 1.6 million Apple Watches were shipped during the June quarter, according to estimates released on Thursday, but while still dominating the smartwatch market, Apple also saw its share drop amid growing competition.




The company's marketshare slipped from 72 percent a year ago to 47 percent, research firm IDC said. During Q2 2015, the launch quarter for the Watch, Apple is believed to have shipped about 3.6 million units.

All of the company's main competitors in the space -- Samsung, Lenovo, LG, and Garmin -- saw unit increases, though even second-place Samsung shipped approximately 600,000 units. Garmin is thought to have sold just 100,000, though that company targets a narrow audience of athletes and fitness enthusiasts.

Apple's decline lead to the first-ever year-over-year drop for the smartwatch industry as a whole. IDC analyst Jitesh Ubrani commented that Watch sales have stalled since early 2016, as some customers have been waiting for a hardware refresh, and watchOS 3 isn't due until later this year. The latter will make significant improvements for current owners, such as much faster app loads.

Rumors about a second-generation Apple Watch have been largely mute in recent months. One report did claim that the wearable could feature a faster "S2" processor and a built-in cellular connection.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 29
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 597member
    yawn, next...
    equality72521
  • Reply 2 of 29
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,119member
    So, the Apple Watch commands HALF of a fast growing market, while being the most expensive product in that market, and that is a BAD thing? Wow. 
    fotoformatwilliamlondonDeelronmagman1979equality72521jony0
  • Reply 3 of 29
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 3,932member
    People take IDC seriously?
    fotoformatmacxpressmagman1979brakkenjony0
  • Reply 4 of 29
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 323member
    What's IDC?
    brakken
  • Reply 5 of 29
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 4,842member
    DOOMED I tell ya!!! DOOMED!!!!

    I would like to know how they get their numbers. What lengths do they go to find this stuff out? How are they making their conclusions based on the data they're receiving? How accurate is the data they're receiving?
  • Reply 6 of 29
    People take IDC seriously?
    This site does. It's a "report." That word implies credibility. The word "rumor" does not.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 7 of 29
    6Sgoldfish6Sgoldfish Posts: 108member
    People take IDC seriously?
    Not sure about IDC's reputation or past mishaps. Can you please elaborate? 
  • Reply 8 of 29
    macxpress said:

    I would like to know how they get their numbers. What lengths do they go to find this stuff out? How are they making their conclusions based on the data they're receiving? How accurate is the data they're receiving?
    You dare question a "report"?
  • Reply 9 of 29
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
  • Reply 10 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,167member
    It's all my fault, I feel terrible.  I'm waiting for the second gen that will be thinner and faster and probably have built in transporter beam capability.
    edited July 2016 6Sgoldfishwilliamlondoncalimaclvr03kermit4krazy
  • Reply 11 of 29
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 3,932member
    People take IDC seriously?
    Not sure about IDC's reputation or past mishaps. Can you please elaborate? 
    Well they predicted Windows Phone would be the #2 mobile OS by 2015.

    http://venturebeat.com/2011/06/10/idc-predicts-windows-phone-at-no-2-android-on-top-by-2015/
    magman1979calipatchythepirate
  • Reply 12 of 29
    croprcropr Posts: 927member
    slurpy said:
    So, the Apple Watch commands HALF of a fast growing market, while being the most expensive product in that market, and that is a BAD thing? Wow. 
    If you read the IDC report, you'll see that the smart watch market has decreased with 32%, so it is not at all a fast growing market.  If these IDC figures are confirmed by other market watchers, one can only say that the hype of smart watch is over.  I don't know how the Apple Watch figures should be before you call it a bad thing, but AFAIK this is not good news for Apple.  Apparently all Apple fans got their watch but Apple fails to convince the normal iPhone user about the added value of the Apple Watch
    cnocbuilarryakermit4krazy
  • Reply 13 of 29
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 597member
    cnocbui said:
    Good find...
    If they are in fact 20% down, anyone have an idea how much any of that is already reflected in apples guidance for their earnings next week
  • Reply 14 of 29
    thedbathedba Posts: 474member
    NY1822 said:
    cnocbui said:
    Good find...
    If they are in fact 20% down, anyone have an idea how much any of that is already reflected in apples guidance for their earnings next week
    Doesn't matter. Apple watch sales barely move the needle in overall revenue/profits. They're not even reported separately. 
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Waiting for v2. V1 has always been a dog in retrospect - just look at v1 iPhone or iPod or iPad. None of them are useful anymore. V2 - iPad is still around, iPhone 3G is relevant, iPad 2 as well. I am "forecasting" that Apple Watch v2 is going to get more traction due to reduced size, increased battery life and added connectivity and features.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 4,529member
    macxpress said:
    DOOMED I tell ya!!! DOOMED!!!!

    I would like to know how they get their numbers. What lengths do they go to find this stuff out? How are they making their conclusions based on the data they're receiving? How accurate is the data they're receiving?

    you know the blue sky above your head, assuming you're outside, that is where IDC gets their numbers. Otherwise, it is coming out of the business end of the analysis body, the only difference, one set of numbers may smell a little nicer.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    thedba said:
    NY1822 said:
    Good find...
    If they are in fact 20% down, anyone have an idea how much any of that is already reflected in apples guidance for their earnings next week
    Doesn't matter. Apple watch sales barely move the needle in overall revenue/profits. They're not even reported separately. 
    The link concerns Apple's total revenues in China, not just the Watch.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    calicali Posts: 3,495member
    %72 to %42 is a HUGE drop
    no matter what the excuse.
    but then again
    IDC=I Don't Care

    If there is any drop this year, the reason is obvious, people waiting for a new model.
    ive had this feeling that Apple is experimenting with the Watch cycle and will release a new version only when demand drops to a certain threshold. This gives them more time and bigger upgrades.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    iSRSiSRS Posts: 32member
    cropr said:
    slurpy said:
    So, the Apple Watch commands HALF of a fast growing market, while being the most expensive product in that market, and that is a BAD thing? Wow. 
    If you read the IDC report, you'll see that the smart watch market has decreased with 32%, so it is not at all a fast growing market.  If these IDC figures are confirmed by other market watchers, one can only say that the hype of smart watch is over.  I don't know how the Apple Watch figures should be before you call it a bad thing, but AFAIK this is not good news for Apple.  Apparently all Apple fans got their watch but Apple fails to convince the normal iPhone user about the added value of the Apple Watch
    They need to hurry up and get the 2nd and 3rd gen out. That is when, like the iPod, iPhone, and perhaps iPad (that may have been the 2) before it, it will start to hit a stride...
  • Reply 20 of 29
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 191member
    Not surprising, seeing as the actual Watch app on the Apple Watch is the only app that launches in less than 45 seconds, if it launches at all. 

    In the last few keynotes, Apple sounds like all the other companies it usually makes fun of for doing the same thing: "In the NEXT update, we promise the Watch's performance will be better..." 

    Still waiting...
Sign In or Register to comment.