Apple debuts new 'Shot on iPhone' ad featuring Maya Angelou

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2016
Apple has debuted a single new 'Shot on iPhone' ad, with the latest addition focusing on equality, featuring a voiceover from poet and author Maya Angelou.

The new ad is a minute long, and is included in Apple's olympic games campaign. The video utilizes a series of 18 photos and videos, and is overlayed by Maya Angelou reading most of her "Human Family" poetic composition.

The "Shot on iPhone" advertising campaign uses video clips and photos from actual users of the iPhone, and generally has an accompanying soundtrack generally from Apple Music -- with Thursday's ad being a notable exception. Spots from the campaign have shown up on TV, on billboards and around the web, each advertising the iPhone's ability to capture high quality images without add-on peripherals or software.

Maya Angelou is an American author, born in April of 1928. She served on two presidential committees, is a 2011 Presidential Award of Freedom awardee, and received the National Medal of Arts in 2000. Steve Jobs reportedly courted Angelou for the voiceover on the "Think Different" television advertisement in 1997, that was ultimately narrated by Richard Dreyfuss. Angelou died on May 28, 2014.

The previous advertisements in the ad series prior to Thursday's additions featured the iPhone camera color gamut, and the slow motion features implemented into the iOS photo application.
ronn

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Wow. Awesome. 
    stantheman
  • Reply 2 of 28
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    I'm not sure why YouTube no longer works in Safari for Mac. All I get is a black box. I have no Flash installed, but other HTML5 videos work fine, just not YouTube, however they play in Chrome without issue.

I figured it out. I still had Click to Flash installed but no Flash so for some reason it was breaking. I deleted Click to Flash and it works now. Not sure why Vimeo and other sources were unaffected, only YouTube but no problem now.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Works fine here, with no Flash installed and no Java.
  • Reply 4 of 28

The "Shot on iPhone" advertising campaign uses video clips and photos from actual users of the iPhone, and generally has an accompanying soundtrack generally from Apple Music -- with Thursday's ad being a notable exception. Spots from the campaign have shown up on TV, on billboards and around the web, each advertising the iPhone's ability to capture high quality images without add-on peripherals or software.
    This was a lovely ad, but this video DID use additional equipment and software. Fine print at the end. 
  • Reply 5 of 28
    volcan said:
    I'm not sure why YouTube no longer works in Safari for Mac. All I get is a black box. I have no Flash installed, but other HTML5 videos work fine, just not YouTube, however they play in Chrome without issue.

I figured it out. I still had Click to Flash installed but no Flash so for some reason it was breaking. I deleted Click to Flash and it works now. Not sure why Vimeo and other sources were unaffected, only YouTube but no problem now.
    Just tested it and I get the same thing here, black box no video. No extensions/add-ons that should effect it (pocket, 1password, & evernote is all), & no Java/Flash installed. Works in chrome (where I generally watch YT videos anyway, so haven't noticed it till I saw this comment). Edit: Oh word I also had Click to Flash on this workstation still (I had uninstalled it on everything else a while ago, wonder how I missed it here).
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 6 of 28
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    One of the best commercials (Apple or otherwise) ever...
    radarthekat
  • Reply 7 of 28
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Family values writ large, like global village large. Plus a little truth and beauty thrown in, that's how to sell phones with cameras.

Thing is, Apple really believes this stuff, as Tim Cook has said. Great ad. Will go down in history as one, like emoeller says.
    edited August 2016 radarthekatjay-tstantheman
  • Reply 8 of 28
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Maybe it's just me, but the photos look better than the video images and why are the photos cropped? They should be full-frame.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 9 of 28
    flaneur said:
    Family values writ large, like global village large. Plus a little truth and beauty thrown in, that's how to sell phones with cameras.

Thing is, Apple really believes this stuff, as Tim Cook has said. Great ad. Will go down in history as one, like emoeller says.

Yes!

Tim Cook's Apple is being built anew upon the shoulders of Steve Jobs' Apple.  This new Apple has the opportunity to define the ethics and responsibilities of businesses, large and small, going forward ...  I wish them success:  Go Apple;  Go Tim;  Thank you Steve!

propodradarthekatjay-tpscooter63stantheman
  • Reply 10 of 28

Maybe it's just me, but the photos look better than the video images and why are the photos cropped? They should be full-frame.

I think it is just an artistic presentation style -- it gets you to lean forward.

radarthekat
  • Reply 11 of 28
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I disagree with the message presented in the commercial. Very naive and dangerous.

A couple of the pictures were decent though, but I'm not feeling the overall message.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 12 of 28
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

I think it is just an artistic presentation style -- it gets you to lean forward.

Hoping they have some real advances in optics and image processing with the new iPhones (why am I worried... of course they'll have some new breakthroughs).
  • Reply 13 of 28
    apple ][ said:
    I disagree with the message presented in the commercial. Very naive and dangerous.

A couple of the pictures were decent though, but I'm not feeling the overall message.
    IDK,  naive and dangerous don't quite describe it either -- maybe idealistic is a better word.

• Reply 14 of 28
    apple ][ said:

IDK,  naive and dangerous don't quite describe it either -- maybe idealistic is a better word.

Sure, I can agree with that. Idealistic is another word that can describe it.

I view Globalism as one of the civilized world's greatest threats and one of the greatest evils of our time, and we are already witnessing the worldwide uproar against the Globalists (Brexit for example.), and much more is to follow.
    edited August 2016 tallest skil
  • Reply 15 of 28
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    She had me at blink.  
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 16 of 28
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    apple ][ said:
    apple ][ said:

I view Globalism as one of the civilized world's greatest threats and one of the greatest evils of our time, and we are already witnessing the worldwide uproar against the Globalists (Brexit for example.), and much more is to follow.
    There's a difference between the globalism you are referring to and globally shared human values. This advert speaks to the latter.
    pscooter63ronnnolamacguy
  • Reply 17 of 28
    apple ][ said:

There's a difference between the globalism you are referring to and globally shared human values. This advert speaks to the latter.
    Ok, I see what you mean.

Is there really such a thing as shared global values though?

Globally speaking, large parts of the planet do not share the same values that we might hold.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 18 of 28
    apple ][ said:
    Ok, I see what you mean.

Globally speaking, large parts of the planet do not share the same values that we might hold.
    The Russians love their children too. 
    nolamacguyradarthekat
  • Reply 19 of 28
    limeymick said:
    apple ][ said:
    Ok, I see what you mean.

The Russians love their children too. 
    I wasn't thinking of the Russians really. As a matter of fact, I am in favor of improving US-Russia relations.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 20 of 28
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Fantastic... Loved it...Biiiiiiig Time !!!