Launch day iPhone 7 Plus, jet black iPhone 7 allotment sold out, Apple says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2016
Less than six days after iPhone 7 preorders went live, Apple on Wednesday confirmed the initial allotment of 5.5-inch iPhone 7 Plus models have sold out globally, meaning fans looking to nab one at a brick-and-mortar retail outlet without a reservation on launch day are out of luck.

News of Apple's depleted iPhone 7 Plus supply comes after the forthcoming handset enjoyed brisk sales when it went up for preorder online just after midnight Pacific time last Friday, reports Reuters. All jet black models, one of two new colors introduced this year, were sold out within minutes.

"We sincerely appreciate our customers' patience as we work hard to get the new iPhone into the hands of everyone who wants one as quickly as possible," said Apple spokeswoman Trudy Muller.

The full statement, reprinted by TechCrunch, indicates jet black 4.7-inch iPhone 7 versions are completely sold out as well. Apple normally declines to comment on product stock in such detail, suggesting the company is telegraphing a warning to customers to temper expectations.

We couldn't be happier with the initial response to iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, and we are looking forward to beginning sales through our retail stores and partners around the world.

Beginning Friday, limited quantities of iPhone 7 in silver, gold, rose gold, and black will be available for walk-in customers at Apple retail stores. During the online pre-order period, initial quantities of iPhone 7 Plus in all finishes and iPhone 7 in jet black sold out and will not be available for walk-in customers. Availability at partner locations for all finishes may vary and we recommend checking directly with them.
Customers can continue to order all models in all colors on apple.com. We sincerely appreciate our customers' patience as we work hard to get the new iPhone into the hands of everyone who wants one as quickly as possible.

With consumers clamoring for the latest and greatest from Apple, the company is no stranger to product stockouts. Each year sees launch day iPhone stock dry up in short order, and this year appears to be no different. Reports earlier this week indicated iPhone 7 would face markedly constrained supply at launch, though AppleInsider sources said Apple retail store employees were expecting usual, albeit limited, launch day supplies as recently as today.

Though iPhone 7 and 7 Plus share designs with the two-year-old iPhone 6 series, the forthcoming handsets feature greatly enhanced internals like upgraded OIS 12-megapixel cameras, fast and efficient A10 Fusion processor, solid-state home button powered by an updated Taptic Engine, water resistant chassis, wide color gamut screen, stereo speakers and more. The 5.5-inch model comes with a second rear-facing camera for telephoto work.
iarancia

Comments

• Reply 1 of 140
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Popping champagne!!!
    edited September 2016 mejsriciarancia
  • Reply 2 of 140
    Sold out globally. Impressive. 
    caliwatto_cobramejsric
  • Reply 3 of 140
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 4 of 140
    I cancelled my 7 preorder to get a 7 Plus and the delivery time was already 2-3 weeks on all colors Thursday morning. All the 7s except for Jet Black were still available on launch day through Friday. 
  • Reply 5 of 140
    Ouch, no more plus for all colors? Only 7 (except jet black) will be available for walks-in.This is not so good news for early queue-r.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 6 of 140
    Whew!! I ordered mine iPhone 7 Plus Black online and expect it this Friday! Accord to ups website, it's in Louisville, Kentucky ;)
    watto_cobrabrian greenpscooter63
  • Reply 7 of 140
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I am not surprised.

iPhone in certain configurations/colors will be hard to get all the way through to next year I bet. :#
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 8 of 140
    glowearth said:
    Whew!! I ordered mine iPhone 7 Plus Black online and expect it this Friday! Accord to ups website, it's in Louisville, Kentucky ;)

Congrats! I'm waiting for the Jet Black 7 Plus 256GB!
    watto_cobracalijustin freitas
  • Reply 9 of 140
    I am waiting for 7+ 128 Black myself. I pre-ordered it 30 mins after the opening hours and because of that unfortunately I have to wait until October to get mine :neutral: 

cali
  • Reply 10 of 140
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Fck...my 30 min late on pre-order day costs me 2 months late now...Thanksgiving delivery for Jet Black...
    jdgazcali
  • Reply 11 of 140
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    glowearth said:
    Congrats! I'm waiting for the Jet Black 7 Plus 256GB!
    Wait for it to ship/arrive or waiting to order when it's finally available again? I'm the latter, but with 128GB.
  • Reply 12 of 140
    kevin kee said:
    I am waiting for 7+ 128 Black myself. I pre-ordered it 30 mins after the opening hours and because of that unfortunately I have to wait until October to get mine :neutral: 

I got out of the Apple app around 3:11 am Eastern and got the very same phone for launch day. Did anyone else get a little hung up on the Recommended Accessories page of the app?
  • Reply 13 of 140
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    "We're not going to say how many we've sold … but we have sold a sh*tload"

My 6sPlus will tide me over until the next refresh, but well done, Apple. 

Proving the naysayers wrong, year after year.

Solicali
  • Reply 14 of 140
    muadibe said:
    Is it impressive or a marketing stunt. They sell out year after year. Why don't they just make millions more before launch - what doesn't sell will sell pre-christmas. 

edited September 2016 gatorguy
  • Reply 15 of 140

Not to throw a wrench in this, but I can't remember a year where any model was available for launch day days after the pre-order opened.  Several days after the 7 was available in 128 and 256 config in multiple colors.  I was kind of surprised by that.  

• Reply 16 of 140
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    birko said:
    Is it impressive or a marketing stunt. They sell out year after year. Why don't they just make millions more before launch - what doesn't sell will sell pre-christmas. 

Only people of lesser intelligence would think that this is a deliberate stunt on Apple's part. Morons and a few Fandroids claim that every year, and every year, they're wrong.

Do you realize how many iPhones Apple will sell this year? 

Even if they delayed the entire launch for a few months, which would be an incredibly stupid, foolish and dangerous thing to do, supply would still be constrained.

The reality is that demand is greater than supply, even if the factories are churning out iPhones 24-7.

Over One BILLION iPhones sold. A lot of people want these new iPhones. 

cali
  • Reply 17 of 140
    I ordered the iPhone 7 Plus (Jet Black, 256 GB) via AT&T around 5:30 AM. It is scheduled to arrive 09.30-10.07. 09.30 would be great, 10.07 more likely. 

cali
  • Reply 18 of 140
    I'm just waiting for the first troll to come online and tell us that Apple is intentionally holding back supply to make it look like the iPhone 7 is successful. 
    nolamacguyai46cali
  • Reply 19 of 140
    Apple did not make so many because they were thinking that the 7 wouldn't sell so well. Then they moved up the launch by a week (usually there is more time between the announcement and the launch, so there was less stock, then they had to something for the IPhone Upgrade program people, so there went the store stock. 

Until we we see real numbers, I'm not going to assume that 7 is a big winner yet. All those people buying Apple stock on margin might be sorry. 
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 20 of 140
    birko said:
    muadibe said:
    Okay, how many? How many more million? Store them where? How much more time devoted to production and security of storage, should they start building iPhone 8s right now so they have enough for next year's model? How much money do you expect to pay for this, because the cost has to be embedded in the phone for storage, extra security to protect these filled warehouses which store *unsold* product worth potentially billions of dollars. What is the exact formula, other than simply, "more." The costs, the supply chain constraints, the security, the money spent in the stock that just sits there, the lead time to manufacture millions of phones, perhaps the problem is all the impatient people who day one "MUST HAVE TODAY!" attitudes that should be managed, eh?!
    edited September 2016 radarthekattgr1muadibenolamacguyjbishop1039ai46ration alcali