iPhone 7 owners complain about issues with BMW Bluetooth support, Verizon LTE connections

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    It's not an iPhone only thing. I can confirm several people with the iPhone 6S and iOS 10 that are having their issues with late model BMWs as well.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    I have 2015 Audi S4, it seemed flawless with iPhone 6 and Apple watch (1) 
    Now sometimes with iPhone7 and Apple watch 2 - if i get a call and answer it either with the Audi BT button, or even on the phone, it answers but my Apple watch keeps ringing, and on other occasions iPhone (phone) connects but music doesn't.

Apple have a bit of a history of Bluetooth niggles, hope version after 10.0.2 takes care of it.
    netmage
  • Reply 23 of 49
    I had annoying experience with LTE Verizon connection randomly being lost while on a work trip this week driving around in Austin, TX. I was in the middle of dense metro area where LTE Verizon coverage should be very solid. I was constantly getting lost because my nav directions would miss turns and then I'd look and notice that the phone said it was searching for a connection and I'd have to pull over and toggle airplane mode a few times to try to establish a connection again, and then backtrack and get "unlost". 

Up until Monday, I had been using my 7+ in San Jose/South Bay Area with no problems since launch day. It was only in Austin, TX that I had problems with Verizon LTE.
  • Reply 24 of 49
    People are funny BMW doesn't make Bluetooth Chips or Stereos for that matter. Like every manufacturer they buy OEM. Blaming the Automaker is childish and short sighted. When it's thought all the way through it will be an issue with Argenox, ST Micro or one of the other vendors in the BT SIG. 

Apple just put new BT and BTLE chips in the new line up possible it's the W1 or simply a software fix. Relax. It's all new and will be resolved soon 
    mike1
  • Reply 25 of 49
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    docrock said:
    People are funny BMW doesn't make Bluetooth Chips or Stereos for that matter. Like every manufacturer they buy OEM. Blaming the Automaker is childish and short sighted. When it's thought all the way through it will be an issue with Argenox, ST Micro or one of the other vendors in the BT SIG. 

Apple just put new BT and BTLE chips in the new line up possible it's the W1 or simply a software fix. Relax. It's all new and will be resolved soon 
    The point is not to relax. The point is to blow this up into the biggest -gate possible. 9TO5MAC is actually tying this to the removal of the headphone jack. If only the headphone jack were still there these people would be okay because they could use their aux inputs. Evil Apple! says 9TO5MAC.
    uraharanolamacguy
  • Reply 26 of 49
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Apple have a bit of a history of Bluetooth niggles, hope version after 10.0.2 takes care of it.
    And so does EVERY other manufacturer out there (just visit some Android troubleshooting sites). We don’t hear about those niggles do we. So what’s your point?
  • Reply 27 of 49
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    lkrupp said:
    docrock said:

The point is not to relax. The point is to blow this up into the biggest -gate possible. 9TO5MAC is actually tying this to the removal of the headphone jack. If only the headphone jack were still there these people would be okay because they could use their aux inputs. Evil Apple! says 9TO5MAC.
    Don't think they implied Apple was evil did they? Instead they were opining that in past years bluetooth issues wouldn't get that much attention since folks could just use the headphone jack to pair to their car audio. This time it's a bit more of a problem if bluetooth is a little wonky.

9to5: "Normally a situation like this wouldn’t garner much attention as users had an alternative option to playing through music to their car: the headphone jack. Now that Apple has pushed for a wireless future in the iPhone 7, issues with Bluetooth connectivity will become a significantly higher pain point as it is expected to be the default option."
  • Reply 28 of 49
    I am having dropped calls on Verizon network with iPhone 7. Sometimes 1 dot where as my iPhone 5s is at full dots.
    Why would a post like this get down voted?
    dasanman69
  • Reply 29 of 49
    Paradroid said:
    The iPhone 7 is a glitch fest at the moment:

- terrible battery life
    - missing home screen icons
    - onscreen camera button not working
    - Bluetooth and lightning headphone bugs

Probably the worst new iPhone experience I've had. OS updates needed urgently especially for the battery problems. Mine gets nowhere near the specs or the review benchmarks. Struggle to get more than 1.5 - 2 hours usage in a day. Have seen the iPhone 6 do 4-6. 
    No battery issues here, brand new iPhone 7. I'm not experiencing any of the other issues you list either.
    netmagedasanman69
  • Reply 30 of 49
    "BMW" and "tech savvy" do not belong in the same sentence.
  • Reply 31 of 49
    Seem so far F30 3 series are affected, have not seen any report of E90 3 series yet. Mine is E90 no issues. AT&T for phone. But any Bluetooth/iPod interface equipped BMW you can use a usb/lightning cord.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 32 of 49
    9to5: "Normally a situation like this wouldn’t garner much attention as users had an alternative option to playing through music to their car: the headphone jack. Now that Apple has pushed for a wireless future in the iPhone 7, issues with Bluetooth connectivity will become a significantly higher pain point as it is expected to be the default option.

I have 2016 X6, bluetooth works fine but alternative is not a 3.5mm jack but USB which plugs directly into my iPhone 7 lightning port. What I have issues with on iPhone 7 is this crappy AI App where it is practically impossible to write a comment without keyboard getting stuck.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    Solution: get another car. 
    Numpty 
    I having zero problems with my car's bluetooth.

BMW's tech quality is questionable
    BMW tech might be questionable but less so than your sanity. 

Your premises of "I've got a new iPhone 7 and there is an issue with BT so I better get a new car" is just another example of idiocy. 
    urahara
  • Reply 34 of 49
    glynhglynh Posts: 133member
    Has also affected my Audi A8 so not only a BMW issue.

Audi are hardly likely to upgrade the Bluetooth module in a 2005 car.

Up to now it has worked with all flavours of iPhone over all versions of iOS. Only iOS 10 has affected the ability to automatically connect.

I can connect manually but the connection only lasts for 1-2 minutes before it loses the connection again.

Frustrating to say the least...part of me thinks that maybe Apple as a Promoter Member of the Bluetooth SIG may even be under the illusion that their implementation is 100% correct and their arrogance may even prevent them from issuing a fix instead blaming the car manufacturer.

We shall see...
  • Reply 35 of 49
    sshravan said:
    Its an issue specific to the iPhone7. How can I be sure? I had both my 6 and 6s Plus updated to iphone10 and had no bluetooth issues whatsoever. Got the iphone7 first and my wife's BMW went ape sht.. The main console would reboot while driving, connections would drop, but 10.0.2 fixed a little but not all the way through. Now I have the 7 plus and same thing in my 3 series. Its the phone not the OS.
    For you maybe but that does not mean you can make a blanket statement that it's an issue specific to the iPhone 7. So you can't be sure and in fact are wrong as iOS 10 has prevented my iPhone 6S connecting to my Audi Bluetooth automatically.

Even if I connect manually the connection will drop out after 1-2 minutes.

My money is on something in iOS 10 that is causing the compatibility problem as it has worked perfectly up to now on all flavours of iPhone alongside many versions of iOS.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    glynh said:
    Has also affected my Audi A8 so not only a BMW issue.

Audi are hardly likely to upgrade the Bluetooth module in a 2005 car.

Up to now it has worked with all flavours of iPhone over all versions of iOS. Only iOS 10 has affected the ability to automatically connect.

I can connect manually but the connection only lasts for 1-2 minutes before it loses the connection again.

Frustrating to say the least...part of me thinks that maybe Apple as a Promoter Member of the Bluetooth SIG may even be under the illusion that their implementation is 100% correct and their arrogance may even prevent them from issuing a fix instead blaming the car manufacturer.

We shall see...
    We all know technology and standards are changing very quickly. Did you really expect the tech in an 11 year old car to keep up indefinitely?
  • Reply 37 of 49
    Apple seems to have WiFi and Bluetooth issues with every ios and hardware release - they should be doing a lot more QA and start using better development practices rather than constantly breaking working functionality. 
    jasenj1dasanman69
  • Reply 38 of 49
    I am having dropped calls on Verizon network with iPhone 7. Sometimes 1 dot where as my iPhone 5s is at full dots.
    We live in a cell coverage hole - we have to have Verizon because they are the only network that will reach us, even with a weak signal. We have iPhone 6Ss. Since updating to iOS 10 my wife has complained about numerous dropped calls.
  • Reply 39 of 49
    HenryFSU said:
    I bet it's iOS 10, not the iPhone 7.  The fact that the iPhone 7 only uses iOS 10 is what points to that model.
    iPhone 6 with iOS 10 works just fine with BMW ConnectedDrive in my 435xi. It's not iOS 10, or *just* iOS 10.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    PamPam Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    7 plus on Verizon and 10.1 beta. No issues with LTE or Bluetooth connection (Honda).