Google debuts Pixel 'Phone by Google,' with heavy emphasis on photography

Posted:
in General Discussion
As expected, Google has unveiled the Pixel and Pixel XL smartphones continuing Google's emphasis on its services as an alternative to storage limits on competing devices.

Both models use a Snapdragon 821 CPU with two cores running at 2.15 GHz, and two running at 1.6 GHz. Storage capacities of 32 GB and 128 GB are available. The two models are built by HTC, and as expected, both look remarkably similar to the iPhone.

The smaller Pixel has a 5-inch AMOLED screen, running at 1080p, with the 5.5-inch Pixel XL also having an AMOLED display, but running at 2560x1440.

The camera module on the Pixel is a 12.3MP shooter with 1.55um pixels, and a f/2.0 aperture. The camera has been given a 89 by DxOMark, according to Google. The iPhone 7 camera module is rated at 86.

Both models ship with Android 7, also known as Nougat. Other specs are 4GB of RAM, a fingerprint sensor, and a USB Type-C port.

The Pixel is the first Android phone with the Google Assistant built in, and Duo video calling pre-installed. Google's Daydream VR is also included.

The phone comes in three colors, which Google has dubbed "quite black," "really blue," and "very silver."

In the US, Google has partnered with Verizon to market the phone. The phone is also available unlocked through Google Play. Preorders begin today in the U.S, Canada, and Germany.

The Pixel starts at $649 for 32 GB, with no pricing listed yet for the Pixel XL or the 128 GB capacity of either model. The Pixel line comes with free unlimited photos and videos at full resolution.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 95
    iPhone* by Google

*There, fixed that for ya.
    caliargonautlordjohnwhorfinnolamacguysuddenly newtonfotoformatlongpathdavenanton zuykovbirko
  • Reply 2 of 95
    How is this design not a complete ripoff of the iPhone???
    lordjohnwhorfinlongpathalbegarcSpamSandwichmobiuslolliverjbdragonfrankiemagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 95
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    I'm not sure what the point of this is.  I'd think this would further alienate Google's licensing partners without doing much of anything to advance their platform.  I thought Google's stuff was supposed to be much cheaper than the competition and I don't see this being much cheaper if at all cheaper.  I got my iPhone 7 for $0 down and $0/month. 
    schlackcalitmaylongpathlolliverjbdragondoozydozenjony0
  • Reply 4 of 95
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    sog35 said:
    Ridiculous. They even copied the rumored blue color for the iPhone7

Pathetic company. I watched some of the 'event' and it played like a parody of an Apple event. So sad and pathetic. They should stick to ads
    ROFTL! Copied a rumor? When did Apple announce they'd have a blue one? Oh wait, they didn't. . . .  
    Perhaps whoever started the blue iPhone rumor was reacting to knowledge of a blue one coming from Google. 
    edited October 2016 revenantfreshmakersingularity
  • Reply 5 of 95
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:

Pathetic company. I watched some of the 'event' and it played like a parody of an Apple event. So sad and pathetic. They should stick to ads
    ROFTL! Copied a rumor? When did Apple announce they'd have a blue one? Oh wait, they didn't. . . .  
    Perhaps whoever started the blue iPhone rumor was reacting to knowledge of a blue one coming from Google. 
    Don't play stupid. This isn't the first time a company copies an iPhone rumor. It backfires every time though.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/iphone-7-deep-blue-gorgeous-134306065.html
    edited October 2016 patchythepiratelordjohnwhorfinnolamacguylongpathronnanton zuykovlollivermagman1979doozydozenredgeminipa
  • Reply 6 of 95
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    looks nice, but hard to see it competing at that price. also, does it really help the Google brand to sell a customized/rebranded HTC as a Google phone?
    lordjohnwhorfinlongpathlolliverdoozydozenredgeminipa
  • Reply 7 of 95
    It's worth noting that according to the dxomark website, they have not completed their review of the iPhone 7 Plus.

"The new features and technologies in the iPhone 7 Plus require additional time for testing, so its review will follow this one, and be published shortly."

https://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Apple-iPhone-7-camera-review-better-than-ever
    SpamSandwichration alrevenantlolliverdoozydozenredgeminipa
  • Reply 8 of 95
    asterionasterion Posts: 112member
    With their new logo, even their ads look like Apple ads. They seem to be ripping off Apple's entire visual style! I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...
    longpathalbegarccalianton zuykovlollivermagman1979watto_cobradoozydozenredgeminipa
  • Reply 9 of 95
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    They put the button on the back. 

A bit bit like coming up with a new SciFi series and calling it 'Space Trek'. 
    patchythepirateargonautlordjohnwhorfinnolamacguylongpath2oh1calibrucemcrevenantlolliver
  • Reply 10 of 95
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:

You're going to have your work cut out for you with this one :-)

ronnanantksundaramcalimagman1979doozydozenbig
  • Reply 11 of 95
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    how many times have they said "It just works"
  • Reply 12 of 95
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    sog35 said:

Actually, while I've developed an anti-Google stance, I'm extremely impressed by what they've pulled together, and how they're delivering an elegant, well-executed experience. I have tremendous respect for what they are announcing today. It really puts a spotlight on how Apple is falling behind on several fronts. Apple does have the huge advantage of in-house development of high-performance hardware that is not accessible to competitors, but that same competition is delivering in ways that are truly meaningful to end users.

The advantages that Apple brings to the marketplace is greatly blurred and subdued after today.

edited October 2016 bigpicsselleringtonfastbaggersingularity
  • Reply 13 of 95
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    I noticed they took seveal cheap shots at Apple during this keynote. When is the last time Apple did that? Last time I can remember is when they announced the iPad mini. I don't like it. Not classy at all.
    longpathalbegarccalimagman1979doozydozen
  • Reply 14 of 95
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    HTC would tell you it was they who were ripped off if anyone was. The latest HTC-produced smartphones are evolutions of the HTC original design that began with the 2013 One M7 at least as they claim. 
  • Reply 15 of 95
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    Google Home looks like a $3.99 Glade Air Freshener 
    patchythepirateP-DogNCSpamSandwichlolliverwatto_cobrafallenjtdoozydozenbig
  • Reply 16 of 95
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    I noticed they took seveal cheap shots at Apple during this keynote. When is the last time Apple did that? Last time I can remember is when they announced the iPad mini. I don't like it. Not classy at all.

Agreed. I was impressed when Apple did _not_ take advantage of Samsung's battery situation during their keynote, and I was hoping Google had the same level of class, but they failed on this, sadly. Other than that, this product announcement was very well done and professional. They've truly matured, but it shows just how far Apple was ahead of the rest on the marketplace, and now the rest have caught up. Apple better keep going ...
    lordjohnwhorfinrevenant
  • Reply 17 of 95
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    Yeah even the wall paper is straight iOS 10, well you know what they say about flattery but f**ck that this is quit grotesque to say the least, thankfully the inevitable and imminent spectacular failure will ease any current discomfort and promises a great DED write-up, looking forward to it already
    patchythepiratelordjohnwhorfincalilollivermagman1979watto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 18 of 95
    Not understanding all the  venom. I like what Google showed. I would t switch from my iPhone but it's nice to see someone besides Samsung making moves. I do like the blue color a lot. If I ever did go android it would be this or the Xperia.
    welshdogdoozydozen
  • Reply 19 of 95
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Listened to a talking head financial pundit this morning on CNBC. The basic question was why Google is even doing this. The income from their hardware business is insignificant relative to their core.  Their hardware has never sold very well. Here on AI we hear from Fandroids about how great their Nexus phones are but there aren’t that many of them out there apparently.
    lordjohnwhorfintmaylongpathP-DogNClollivermagman1979watto_cobradoozydozenbadmonk
  • Reply 20 of 95
    sog35 said:

Actually, while I've developed an anti-Google stance, I'm extremely impressed by what they've pulled together, and how they're delivering an elegant, well-executed experience. I have tremendous respect for what they are announcing today. It really puts a spotlight on how Apple is falling behind on several fronts. Apple does have the huge advantage of in-house development of high-performance hardware that is not accessible to competitors, but that same competition is delivering in ways that are truly meaningful to end users.

The advantages that Apple brings to the marketplace is greatly blurred and subdued after today.

Like? Can you be more specific? I watched the whole keynote and saw nothing of relevance.

All I saw was a panic attack after Apple starting to open Siri to devs, a lower quality homekit competitor so Android doesn't get left for dead, a phone with pretty standard/medium hardware specifications (SoC, etc.) at iPhone 7/Galaxy prices and an worse, second grade, design (that, down to the wallpaper, is a pathetic attempt of a "me too" copy of it) and that's it.

Oh, I also saw the heads of the few users that bought Google's previous OnHub router explode.

There's nothing there that you can't do better on iOS. Nothing. Heck, you better believe that Google will have more iOS users using their most uptodate Apps (as far as latest API levels) than Android users, too.

But hey, still talking about the headphone jack. Let's revise this next year.
    lordjohnwhorfinnolamacguyericthehalfbeebrucemcgilly33calidoozydozen