Massive sales floor for Apple Watch in Galeries Lafayette closing in January

Posted:
in Apple Watch
A dedicated Apple Watch gallery in the Galeries Lafayette shopping center in Paris is on the path to closure because of an Apple focus shift, and lack of sufficient sales to justify keeping it open, according to new reports.




Mac4Ever discovered the plans to close the boutique. The sales location has seen a departure in employees, with them being siphoned off to other Apple stores.

The Galeries Lafayette shopping center was one of the venues to try on the luxury Apple Watch Edition, starting at $10,000. The venue is expected to close at some point in January 2017. At launch, the high-end Apple Watch Edition was only available in 53 locations worldwide.

AppleInsider has confirmed the closure plans with Apple, and we were told that the ultimate fate of the two similar boutiques in Tokyo at Isetan and at Selfridges in London, has not yet been decided.



«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 22
    Meh who cares. It was an experiment and I don't think Apple ever intended to sell a ton of Edition watches in the first place. I do hope though that this doesn't cause Apple to abandon the fashion aspect and just turn it into a generic fitness device. I'm not upgrading to Series 2 because unless you're a swimmer or runner there's not much point.
    jbdragoncornchip
  • Reply 2 of 22
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 742member
    I have the impression, anecdotally, that the Apple Watch is not gaining much traction as a luxury item. My wife has a Hermes AW and loves it, but I never see anyone else wearing one. I live in Bling Central (Knightsbridge London) and have never seen an Edition AW. As a sporty item (not health, it is also a bit ridiculous to believe that a $ 350 watch can have any measurable impact on health), I think it is quite successful and thus have high hopes for the Nike edition. It looks best with the rubber sports bands in colour. Kind of like the Swatch watch of the 21st Century. It is socially accepted in that same sense. In the 2000's even bank CEO's wore Swatches.

    That is what Apple is/was really good at: kill products quickly that don't earn their keep. So, it is good that Apple is pulling the plug on luxury Apple Watches.

    I'd like to see more co-branding, Hermes and Nike are only the start; I can see co-brands with TAG Heuer, Montblanc, Snow & Ice, Quicksilver, Prada, Jill Sander?
    edited October 2016 bdkennedy1002
  • Reply 3 of 22
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 742member
    sog35 said:
    sflagel said:
    I have the impression, anecdotally, that the Apple Watch is not gaining much traction as a luxury item. My wife has a Hermes AW and loves it, but I never see anyone else wearing one. I live in Bling Central (Knightsbridge London) and have never seen an Edition AW. As a sporty item (not health, it is also a bit ridiculous to believe that a $ 350 watch can have any measurable impact on health), I think it is quite successful and thus have high hopes for the Nike edition. It looks best with the rubber sports bands in colour. Kind of like the Swatch watch of the 21st Century.
    luxury items by default suppose to be rare. So not seeing tons of Edition or Hermes watches around is not necessary a bad sign.


    I have the misfortune to live in a part of town where Ferraris, Maybachs, Bentleys, Patek's and 1 carat diamond ear studs are very common. Women actually use Vertu phones. And because of the international crowd, you see all the items that are considered luxurious in the middle east, China, Russia, Africa, etc If you don't see a luxury item here, you don't see it anywhere. As I wrote, it was just an anecdotal observation. Apple is good at pulling the plug.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    wingnutwingnut Posts: 197member
    sog35 said:
    Those without vision will think this is bad for Apple Watch.

    Nope.

    Its all part of the plan.

    What is the biggest road block for the introduction of a wearable computer?  Go look at Google Glass for the answer. Its making wearing a computer socially acceptable. Normal people would literally yell, scream, punch, and jeer at people wearing Google Glass in public. Why? Because it was not socially acceptable to wear a computer on your face. That was the biggest obstacle Apple Watch faced.

    So how do you transform a thing that is a techy nerd only device (a smartwatch) to something mainstream and socially acceptable? You do that by getting acceptance by fashion and celebrities. Add a bit of luxury into the mix. And that is exactly what Apple did with the Watch.  And the result? The Apple Watch isn't viewed as a tech nerd only device. It is socially acceptable to wear an Apple Watch.

    So yes Apple did discontinue the Gold Watch and some luxury stores will stop selling them.

    But mission was accomplished by targeting luxury and fashion. This isn't a loss. This is STAGE 2.

    Stage 1: Make Apple Watch socially acceptable by focusing on luxury and fashion. Face it. No wearable no matter how practical or technologically advanced will succeed if people think its ugly.

    Stage 2: Expand to the mainstream market. Add technology and practical benefits.
    People didn't like Google Glass because you didn't know when someone wearing one was recording or photographing. It would be like me holding my phone up to you like I'm taking your picture, but I never ask you or tell you what I am doing. 
  • Reply 5 of 22
    bombom Posts: 1member
    I read that Gallery Lafayette shop is a Popup Store, and such stores are planned to be opened for a limited time only.
    cornchip
  • Reply 6 of 22
    You won't see lower to middle class people wearing a Rolex. If you did, rich people wouldn't buy it.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    sog35 said:
    Those without vision will think this is bad for Apple Watch.

    Nope.

    Its all part of the plan.

    What is the biggest road block for the introduction of a wearable computer?  Go look at Google Glass for the answer. Its making wearing a computer socially acceptable. Normal people would literally yell, scream, punch, and jeer at people wearing Google Glass in public. Why? Because it was not socially acceptable to wear a computer on your face. That was the biggest obstacle Apple Watch faced.

    So how do you transform a thing that is a techy nerd only device (a smartwatch) to something mainstream and socially acceptable? You do that by getting acceptance by fashion and celebrities. Add a bit of luxury into the mix. And that is exactly what Apple did with the Watch.  And the result? The Apple Watch isn't viewed as a tech nerd only device. It is socially acceptable to wear an Apple Watch.

    So yes Apple did discontinue the Gold Watch and some luxury stores will stop selling them.

    But mission was accomplished by targeting luxury and fashion. This isn't a loss. This is STAGE 2.

    Stage 1: Make Apple Watch socially acceptable by focusing on luxury and fashion. Face it. No wearable no matter how practical or technologically advanced will succeed if people think its ugly.

    Stage 2: Expand to the mainstream market. Add technology and practical benefits.
    All reasoned and thoughtful points yet it does not take into account that Apple Watch was not selling enough to pay for the rent at this and probably other 3rd party retail locations. 
  • Reply 8 of 22
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 742member
    bdkennedy said:
    You won't see lower to middle class people wearing a Rolex. If you did, rich people wouldn't buy it.
    I think Rolex is THE middle class watch. Oyster and Submariners are less than $ 10K.  Rich people don't wear them.... but in any case. It was time to pull the plug, Edition wasn't working, except for die-hards and potential collectors. No loss in Apple's balance sheet to try it out and they pull the plug efficiently. Good for them. The AW and AW Sports work quite well and the Nike edition will fly off the shelves.
    hill60[Deleted User]
  • Reply 9 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,794member
    Massive? It's two tables and one sign. The adolescents over on MacRumors are having a field day over this news. Apple's failure product has 50% of the market and is the second biggest watch brand in revenue in the world. Such a failure.
    edited October 2016 pscooter63rogifan_newnolamacguy
  • Reply 10 of 22
    sog35 said:
    Meh who cares. It was an experiment and I don't think Apple ever intended to sell a ton of Edition watches in the first place. I do hope though that this doesn't cause Apple to abandon the fashion aspect and just turn it into a generic fitness device. I'm not upgrading to Series 2 because unless you're a swimmer or runner there's not much point.
    Series 2 is much faster. You will need that speed for generation 2 apps.

    Also good to have great water resistence if you like taking a shower with your Watch. I know they say Watch1 is okay to do so, but I have my doubts. They don't even recommend you wash your Watch1 with soap.


    Yeah I've never taken a shower with a watch before, just seems weird to me. I'm keeping my series 0 because I think the next generation Watch will be a bigger leap. I look at Series 2 as like the iPad 3 for iPad 2 owners. 
  • Reply 11 of 22
    ireland said:
    Massive? It's two tables and one sign. The adolescents over on MacRumors are having a field day over this news. Apple's failure product has 50% of the market and is the second biggest watch brand in revenue in the world. Such a failure.
    They need to rename that site MacHaters,com. Probably 90% of the comments section on a front page article are negative. Except when it's an article praising the competition, like when they ran a story on reviews of the Google Pixel phone and only quoted the positive reviews.
    cornchip
  • Reply 12 of 22

    Think about how often you see people with an iPhone or a MacBook.

    Now think about how often you see someone with an Apple Watch.

    Exactly.

    I'm sure Apple decided well in advance that -- to preserve their reputation -- they would give the AW experiment at least two "runs," and possibly three.  But I can guarantee you the product has not done as well as expected.  I would be very surprised if there is a fourth series, and would not be shocked if they discontinue it next year.

    Until they convince people of why they need both a phone and a watch, it will not be a success.



  • Reply 13 of 22
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    sflagel said:
    As a sporty item (not health, it is also a bit ridiculous to believe that a $ 350 watch can have any measurable impact on health),
    of course it can have an impact on your health. that's what the rings are all about. ask the owner of The Loop, who was motivated to lose 75 pounds or such. or people who challenge each other to run which is good for your heart. or in my own case it ensures im on my feet every hour rather than getting lost sitting at my desk all day, which is tied to higher mortality rates. 
  • Reply 14 of 22
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    bdkennedy said:
    You won't see lower to middle class people wearing a Rolex. If you did, rich people wouldn't buy it.
    my dad is middle class, has a Rolex. (yes a real one)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 22
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

    Think about how often you see people with an iPhone or a MacBook.

    Now think about how often you see someone with an Apple Watch.

    Exactly.

    I'm sure Apple decided well in advance that -- to preserve their reputation -- they would give the AW experiment at least two "runs," and possibly three.  But I can guarantee you the product has not done as well as expected.  I would be very surprised if there is a fourth series, and would not be shocked if they discontinue it next year.

    Until they convince people of why they need both a phone and a watch, it will not be a success.

    your f'ing nuts -- im in a tourist town and i see AWs every week. it's an overnight billion dollar business for apple, there's absolutely no reason to drop it and i'll bet you $100 bucks there's a next version. 

    as for the Edition, Cook was very clear on launch day -- limited run. now it's gone. not a surprise. 
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 22
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,074member

    Think about how often you see people with an iPhone or a MacBook.

    Now think about how often you see someone with an Apple Watch.

    Exactly.

    I'm sure Apple decided well in advance that -- to preserve their reputation -- they would give the AW experiment at least two "runs," and possibly three.  But I can guarantee you the product has not done as well as expected.  I would be very surprised if there is a fourth series, and would not be shocked if they discontinue it next year.

    Until they convince people of why they need both a phone and a watch, it will not be a success.



    It may not sell in the tens of millions of units each year, but Apple will continue to sell it but may update it every other year.  This way they will be able to offer more significant hardware upgrades when refreshed.   I'm waiting for the Apple Watch Air when they make the watch thinner and faster.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    sog35 said:
    Meh who cares. It was an experiment and I don't think Apple ever intended to sell a ton of Edition watches in the first place. I do hope though that this doesn't cause Apple to abandon the fashion aspect and just turn it into a generic fitness device. I'm not upgrading to Series 2 because unless you're a swimmer or runner there's not much point.
    Series 2 is much faster. You will need that speed for generation 2 apps.

    Also good to have great water resistence if you like taking a shower with your Watch. I know they say Watch1 is okay to do so, but I have my doubts. They don't even recommend you wash your Watch1 with soap.


    The biggest difference between Series 1 and Series 2 is that Series 2 has built-in GPS, a much brighter screen, and water-proofing. Series 1 got a processor update and has the same dual-core CPU as Series 2.  So it boils down to do you need GPS & waterproofing? If not, get Series 1 and you'll still get the same performance as Series 2.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 22
    sflagel said:
    bdkennedy said:
    You won't see lower to middle class people wearing a Rolex. If you did, rich people wouldn't buy it.
    I think Rolex is THE middle class watch. Oyster and Submariners are less than $ 10K.  Rich people don't wear them.... but in any case. It was time to pull the plug, Edition wasn't working, except for die-hards and potential collectors. No loss in Apple's balance sheet to try it out and they pull the plug efficiently. Good for them. The AW and AW Sports work quite well and the Nike edition will fly off the shelves.
    Apple Watch Edition is not dead. It's still there on Apple's website. Only difference is now Edition is made of Ceramic and starts at around $1,200 as opposed to $10,000. Smart move actually.  
  • Reply 19 of 22

    Think about how often you see people with an iPhone or a MacBook.

    Now think about how often you see someone with an Apple Watch.

    Exactly.

    I'm sure Apple decided well in advance that -- to preserve their reputation -- they would give the AW experiment at least two "runs," and possibly three.  But I can guarantee you the product has not done as well as expected.  I would be very surprised if there is a fourth series, and would not be shocked if they discontinue it next year.

    Until they convince people of why they need both a phone and a watch, it will not be a success.


    It's great that we all can have our own opinion and all but opinions without critical thinking will only show that.. one has lacked critical thinking.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 22
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Is there a place that sells 2nd hand gold apple watches?   At 2nd hand prices I think it might be kind of cool to own one, plus they will probably be collectors items.
Sign In or Register to comment.