Microsoft debuts Surface Studio all-in-one PC, refreshes high-end Surface Book

Comments

• Reply 41 of 198
    slurpy said:
    So, Surface book is $2,500USD and this desktop is $3,000 USD. What happened to the "Apple Tax"? Just like how the pixel is the price of the iPhone 7 with half the features, just shows that when you want to really invest in engineering and design, you're going to match and exceed Apple in pricing, even though your brand does not command a fraction of the stature of loyalty. 
    Actually, the version that they demonstrated on stage is $4,000. 
    baconstangration al
  • Reply 42 of 198
    What stands out to me is that Microsoft is really thinking outside the box, whereas Apple seems stuck to one design and recycling it every year, again and again.
    The iPad Pro + Apple Pencil = greater outside the box thinking. Everyone thought that the iPad would need a pressure sensitive screen in order to compete with the Cintiq as a portable creative tool. Instead, Apple put the pressure sensitivity into the Pencil itself and packed it with sophisticated hardware. That's a unique approach. MS, on the other hand, is basically creating it's own version of a Cintiq screen minus the ability to put it on a swing-arm because appears to be permanently connected to the base that houses the computer hardware . That's outside the box? 
    I don't know how much this Surface Studio weighs yet, but what makes you think the entire thing couldn't be mounted on a swing arm platform?
  • Reply 43 of 198
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Microsoft out innovating Apple in PCs. Never thought I'd ever say that. I was looking at getting an iMac but the Surface Studio made me pause and reconsider. I'm intrigued. Will definitely test it out when it comes out.
    what OS does it run? oh, just windows. still sucks. 
    baconstangpalominewilliamlondon
  • Reply 44 of 198
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Very impressive - commercial... to say the least.  It's actually nice to see Microsoft putting an actual effort into PC design after decades of horrid attempts.

Let's see how this works in the real world.  
    SpamSandwichbaconstang
  • Reply 45 of 198
    I only use Mac but congrats to Microsoft - Surface Studio looks so beautiful... Apple should take notice.
    Hate to say it, but I can imagine there will be a lot of interest for that large screen Surface for illustrators, designers and possibly even musicians.
    I agree completely. Got to hand it to Microsoft, they have produced something very elegant. I love my Mac and only use Mac but its got me thinking of reasons why i need that new Surface Studio :-D We can all love our Macs and still respect what the competition is doing. Microsoft will do well with that new product i think.
    wigginration alaylk
  • Reply 46 of 198
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    AppleDuff said:
    hahahaha....I have been an Apple enthusiast for a decade....but cmon....stop being fanboys...This looks like a great product. MS taking a bite out of Apple's share of the designers......This is good for the industry.....
    It looks great until you use it...Nice concept. i5 with 8GB of RAM at $3000...lol. Btw, you probably just a troll, not really a Mac user, Mr. 1 Post!
    baconstang
  • Reply 47 of 198
    curt12 said:
    cali said:
     Out of all days they decide to announce an iMac clone the day before Apple special event. Coincidence? 
    Which iMacs let you touch and draw directly on the screen?
    Exactly. The iMac looks poor in design compared to the Surface Studio....
    aylk
  • Reply 48 of 198
    I don't know how much this Surface Studio weighs yet, but what makes you think the entire thing couldn't be mounted on a swing arm platform?
    Looking at the industrial design. It appears that the computer hardware is in the base, which means the connection to the screen is through the arms. It doesn't really look like a standard style of connection, which brings up the possibility that it isn't meant to be detached. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 49 of 198
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    NY1822 said:
    awkward drawing on a slant with your elbow slightly raised and hunching forward...cool
    Ever work on a drafting table or an easel?

Yes. The Microsoft Studio idea looks great, but I can't imagine that screen being able to support any weight at all, especially at the top. And if there's one thing I hate when working on a drafting table is when things don't feel solid under me.
    I imagine it wouldn't be that difficult to create a brace for the top and/or sides. 
    yes, because that's what i want to do for my  new $3000 computer -- build "a brace" for it. right. 
    edited October 2016 ericthehalfbeebaconstangmrboba1palominewilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 198
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    Pricey!  I thought my 5K wasn't cheap.
    I like the Dial.  Looks like a very usable input device.
    Oh...no TB or USB-C?
    edited October 2016 yellolionration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 198
    cali said:
     Out of all days they decide to announce an iMac clone the day before Apple special event. Coincidence? 
    Maybe but you can all but guarantee the Apple event will be just as boring as the last few... look at what Apple has released (to date) this year that is truly innovative... or last year for that matter??? I love Apple but last few years for me, they just aren't the creative/exciting company they used to be...
    aylkrex99
  • Reply 52 of 198
    Dead in a year.

iMac clone and iPad Pro copycat.

At brutal prices, too. 

In trying to mimic Apple (poorly) MS is pricing themselves out of their own market, and into a market into which they don't belong and don't understand. 

I disagree!  I would easily pay that price or more for an Apple product with those capabilities!

Can't innovate -- Panos' ass!

What about Apple to release a giant touch screen that can be connected to iPad Pro via Lightning port? Oh yeah, you dock the iPad Pro and draw whatever on that giant screen! That's fucking disruptive and automatically make this Surface Studio a piece of archaic crap.

• Reply 53 of 198
    NY1822 said:
    awkward drawing on a slant with your elbow slightly raised and hunching forward...cool
    Ever work on a drafting table or an easel?

Yes. The Microsoft Studio idea looks great, but I can't imagine that screen being able to support any weight at all, especially at the top. And if there's one thing I hate when working on a drafting table is when things don't feel solid under me.
    I imagine it wouldn't be that difficult to create a brace for the top and/or sides. 
    yes, because that's what i want to do for my  new $3000 computer -- build "a brace" for it. right. 
    If you're not in the market for this type of thing, you'll not consider ways to customize it for your purposes. There is no such thing as a perfect computer or phone. We tend to customize to our own tastes and needs.

Also, just because I've used Apple computers for the greatest part of my computing life and most of my life's savings is tied to Apple stock does not mean I am opposed to trying something new if it's better for me.
    aylk
  • Reply 54 of 198
    Microsoft out innovating Apple in PCs. Never thought I'd ever say that. I was looking at getting an iMac but the Surface Studio made me pause and reconsider. I'm intrigued. Will definitely test it out when it comes out.
    But... it runs Windows 10. You know that piece of spyware maquerading as an Operating System. Where everything you do is sent back to the mothership. Where you get adverts in the Start Menu. Where you have no contol over the application of updates. etc etc etc.
    What MS giveth, MS taketh.
    One thing is certain and that is MS will be saturating the media with more 'Can't do that on my Mac' adverts.

rob55baconstangjkichlineration alpalomineurahara
  • Reply 55 of 198
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    flaneur said:
    It might be a good product, but Microsoft's tin ear subverts the presentation as usual, starting with the name "Surface," which has zero appeal. I mean, how two-dimensional and anti-tactile can you get, calling a touch-screen device by a generic topological term? So left-brained.

Yeah, that would be about as silly as if Apple came up with a box that connected to your television and called it something mundane like "Apple TV".  B)
    aylk
  • Reply 56 of 198
    "Which iMacs let you touch and draw directly on the screen?"

Who cares... Nothing will compel me to buy into the MS eco system.  I have not seen the full spec list, but where is the Thunderbolt or new USB standard?  4 USB 3.0, 2008 circa? . ROFL  Please.  Innovation, my ass!
    baconstangjkichlineration almacpluspluswilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 198

curt12 said:
    cali said:
    Which iMacs let you touch and draw directly on the screen?
    The new one to be announced tomorrow because it allows to dock the iPad Pro to use it as an external touchscreen lol.
    edited October 2016 baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 198
    what OS does it run? oh, just windows. still sucks. 
    Maybe time for a Hackindows?

palomine
  • Reply 59 of 198
    cali said:
    This event was announced on October 7. Apple announced tomorrow's thing on the 20th. If anything, Apple timed theirs to suck the wind out of Microsoft's sails.

(I doubt it however; that just seems to petty for modern Apple, and anyway these things take a lot of preparation.)
    palomine
  • Reply 60 of 198
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    SpamSandwich said:

Exactly. Not bad for Microsoft! I have never in my life wanted a Microsoft product, but now I am seriously considering this. I can't believe it.
    Windows Explorer is vastly inferior to the Mac Finder and searching on a Mac is near instantaneous whereas Windows takes forever and often completely fails to find the file you are looking for. Then there is Time Machine, iMessage and Facetime which are better than anything Windows offers. For designers of course Adobe CC comes on both platforms but I find Windows implementation of fonts really clumsy compared to Font Book on Mac. Of course you also need a Mac to develop iOS apps so that could be another factor for some. You also should consider the fact that macOS is fully UNIX compliant and Windows legacy is a real mess under the hood. You might be attracted to the Surface PC from a hardware perspective but there are just too many obvious downsides to the OS which is why the vast majority of graphic designers are still on Mac. If you mostly use Office, and a web browser it is probably ok, but if you do a lot of file management Windows is awful.
    edited October 2016 baconstangrandominternetpersonration alpalomine