Microsoft debuts Surface Studio all-in-one PC, refreshes high-end Surface Book

Comments

• Reply 61 of 198
    Wow. Been using Macs since I graduated with a design degree over 15 years ago. This is the first time I'm really considering a Windows machine. If that pen is any good it could be a deal breaker. I love my iPad Pro and Pencil... having a 28" version? Yes please.
    SpamSandwichaylk
  • Reply 62 of 198
    LeBart1968LeBart1968 Posts: 16unconfirmed, member
    Great! It's a pity there is no USB-C, no finfet GPU's and no native SSD. Otherwise I could make the switch to the dark side I think. I'm fed up with Apple and their lack of interest in graphic/motion designers like me. Maybe tomorrow everything clears up. C'mon Apple bring on those new screens, iMac and new Mac Pro!
    polymniaSpamSandwichaylk
  • Reply 63 of 198
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Since when does an all-in-one computer consist of two parts bolted together?
    Wowsers, that's ugly!
    edited October 2016 ai46williamlondon
  • Reply 64 of 198
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    If the leaked picture of the Macbook Pro is anything to go by, then Cook has got his work cut out for him tomorrow. It looks like MS has actually found its design chops and come up with something a little bit different. I don't know how well it will work in practice, but unless Apple shows something truly groundbreaking tomorrow then the noise from this Surface thing is going to drown out the whole event.

Yes, the Surface is expensive, but I don't think MS is aiming at the masses with this device. I think they're aiming it squarely at the Apple's design market, who may look seriously at this machine if Apple doesn't come up with something that looks vaguely professional.

What can I say? Nice job Microsoft.

aylk
  • Reply 65 of 198
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

It's worth watching the MS Video...  Long, but very well done -- and passionate!

https://techcrunch.com/2016/10/26/microsoft-livestream/

Surface Studio starts @1:15:20

The black haired guy with the goatie is a terrible presenter. He's patronising and you can tell he thinks he's better than he is. He reminds me of a sleazy car salesman. His forced hand gestures and script doesn't gel and feels unjustified. It's like he tried to model himself after Steve Jobs, but I'm not buying his bull.
    edited October 2016 SpamSandwichaylkmtefre
  • Reply 67 of 198
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    cpsro said:
    Since when does an all-in-one computer consist of two parts bolted together? Wowsers, is that ugly!

holyoneanantksundaramtallest skilRayz2016SpamSandwichaylkmattinoz
  • Reply 68 of 198
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    You know... when I first saw the video... I was thinking... YES! this looks really promising... and hoping that the build quality and experience would live up to the video. Now however... given a little time to think... I am not so sure its all that great. Technically I am disappointed by the lack of pure SSD storage, USB 3.1 Type-C (or Thunderbolt) and weak graphics. Of course we will have to wait a day for Apple to release their latest to see what they have done or not... and maybe 6 months for the new iMac. In the end I find it rather mediocre (though the screen still sounds worthy of lust at 4500 x 3000/P3) Seems like so far the Autumn winer of the coolest hardware still goes to the new Razor Blade Pro.
    macplusplus
  • Reply 69 of 198
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    sog35 said:

People are saying that Microsoft is now more innovative than Apple

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/people-saying-microsoft-now-more-164913486.html

what would have been a joke just 5 years ago is a reality.
    For one day before Apple announces their new innovating computing platforms...
    williamlondon
  • Reply 70 of 198
    ireland said:

It's worth watching the MS Video...  Long, but very well done -- and passionate!

The black haired guy with the goatie is a terrible presenter. He's patronising and you can tell he thinks he's better than he is. He reminds me of a sleazy car salesman. His forced hand gestures and script doesn't gel.
    Yeah... I'll grant you a little patronizing and elitist -- what got and held my attention was his confidence and his passion!  I didn't get the impression that he was reading from a script or teleprompter.

• Reply 71 of 198
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

sog35 said:
    yellolion said:
    cali said:
     Out of all days they decide to announce an iMac clone the day before Apple special event. Coincidence? 
    Maybe but you can all but guarantee the Apple event will be just as boring as the last few... look at what Apple has released (to date) this year that is truly innovative... or last year for that matter??? I love Apple but last few years for me, they just aren't the creative/exciting company they used to be...
    I need to agree.

iPhone6, iPhone6s, iPhone7 - not innovative at all. Just bigger screens.

Apple Watch - simply an iPhone accessory at this point

iPad - been stagnant. Dropping sales proves the point

Mac - nothing special

Lets face it. Tim Cook and the current leadership is more concerned about keeping Apple profits up than innovation.

Cook needs to be fired.
    Ive needs to be reassigned.
    Apple needs a new CEO with Vision and Passion. Two things Cook lacks. Guy is so friken boring every single event.
    Ive has just lost it in his unending desire to make things thinner. WE need new design blood.
    Really?!?!

iPhone:
    Nothing new for iPhones? You obviously don't pay attention.  The processor alone is crazy innovation. A mobile chip that packs more processing power than most computers on the market today. Wide color. Faster. Better cameras. iOS 10. What exactly are you looking at that makes you think "just bigger screens"?

Apple Watch:
    Yeah OK. Nothing about it being the single most popular smartwatch option? Nothing about it being second only to Rolex in terms of the luxury phone market? Or that it runs its own apps and doesn't need an iPhone (only for installing apps at this point).

iPad:
    Stagnant? iPad Pro 13"? iPad Pro 9.7" with shifting color hue? Processors that are faster than 90% of all laptops on the market?

Mac:
    Agree with you here... but we have been waiting on Intel. Obviously that will be updated tomorrow.
    edited October 2016 irelandration alpalominewatto_cobra
  • Reply 72 of 198
    sog35 said:
    ireland said:

The black haired guy with the goatie is a terrible presenter. He's patronising and you can tell he thinks he's better than he is. He reminds me of a sleazy car salesman. His forced hand gestures and script doesn't gel.
    Yeah... I'll grant you a little patronizing and elitist -- what got and held my attention was his confidence and his passion!  I didn't get the impression that he was reading from a script or teleprompter.

Exactly.

PASSION.

Something that is lacking from Apple events now days. You can't fake passion.

And Tim Cook and his crew look like a bunch of guys faking passion. Nothing exciting released by the Apple the last 3 years.

Well, let's see if MS can deliver!  

When I worked for IBM there was a story about a woman who'd been married for 29 years -- and was still a virgin.

Seems she was married to an IBM [maimframe] Computer salesman...  Every night he'd stand at the foot of the bed and tell her how good it was going to be -- when she finally got it!

• Reply 73 of 198
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    wiggin said:
    flaneur said:
    It might be a good product, but Microsoft's tin ear subverts the presentation as usual, starting with the name "Surface," which has zero appeal. I mean, how two-dimensional and anti-tactile can you get, calling a touch-screen device by a generic topological term? So left-brained.

Yeah, that would be about as silly as if Apple came up with a box that connected to your television and called it something mundane like "Apple TV".  B
    Not the same. You missed the point. "Surface" is a repellant  name for a touchscreen device. It's deep, psychological. Microsoft people are not expected to understand.

edit — Here's a way to maybe understand. When the iPad came out, some people observed that the touch interface gave you the impression of reaching in to the screen and directly manipulating the software as tactile objects under the screen. "Touch" conveys this depth. "Surface" is about a barrier to that depth. It all happens at a deeper level than the typical left-brained Microsoftian recognizes.
    edited October 2016 ration alwonkothesane
  • Reply 74 of 198
    sog35 said:
    ireland said:

Exactly.

PASSION.

Something that is lacking from Apple events now days. You can't fake passion.
    Funny cause that's exactly what I thought was faked in the MS presentation. Particularly by that car salesman guy. Yuck! My skin crawls watching his fakeness.
    edited October 2016 aylk
  • Reply 75 of 198
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    Microsoft out innovating Apple in PCs. Never thought I'd ever say that. I was looking at getting an iMac but the Surface Studio made me pause and reconsider. I'm intrigued. Will definitely test it out when it comes out.
    sort of. no need to putting resources into a phone OS does free up Microsoft to do some crazy things. Competition is a good thing. Now the ball is in Apple's court.
    ration alaylk
  • Reply 76 of 198
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    wiggin said:
    cpsro said:
    Since when does an all-in-one computer consist of two parts bolted together? Wowsers, is that ugly!

Exactly! That's the 2002 "luxo" design for the iMac, when Apple transitioned from CRT to LCD. In 2002, it was quaint. (By 2004, that design was history.) In 2016, it's ugly, too.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 77 of 198
    sog35 said:

People are saying that Microsoft is now more innovative than Apple

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/people-saying-microsoft-now-more-164913486.html

what would have been a joke just 5 years ago is a reality.
    People are saying...what is this Donald Trump?

where are the ports on this thing? If they're all on the back is Microsoft going to get the same shit Apple does with the iMac?
    irelandpalomine
  • Reply 78 of 198
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    Good God, that thing looks amazing. Too bad it runs Windows and therefore incompatible with my Apple Eco System (and probably just does not run great Apps).

But Apple needs to provide a good reason to stay within that Eco System, besides the ability to start an email on a phone and finish it on a Mac. 
    edited October 2016 palomine
  • Reply 79 of 198
    The UI doesn't look built for touch. The touch points look too small. And why do you need a seperate dial to turn the bloomin' drawing!!?
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 80 of 198
    flaneur said:
    wiggin said:
    flaneur said:
    It might be a good product, but Microsoft's tin ear subverts the presentation as usual, starting with the name "Surface," which has zero appeal. I mean, how two-dimensional and anti-tactile can you get, calling a touch-screen device by a generic topological term? So left-brained.

Yeah, that would be about as silly as if Apple came up with a box that connected to your television and called it something mundane like "Apple TV".  B
    Not the same. You missed the point. "Surface" is a repellant  name for a touchscreen device. It's deep, psychological. Microsoft people are not expected to understand.

Yes!  "Surface" describes a 2D space.  It's ironic that the 1st half of the preso was pushing 3D Creativity update to Windows 10.