How Donald Trump's election as U.S. President could affect Apple

1246789

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 162
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Why does Trump who uses an Android phone which is most likely foreign made demand Apple produce iPhone domestically?
    ration albaconstangwatto_cobrasingularityjax44
  • Reply 62 of 162
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member

    wizard69 said:
    securtis said:
    fpplan said:
    Comments from trump fans prove they tend to be nothing but unintelligent, angry people who get all their opinions and information from an echo chamber of internet memes.
    Obviously, lots of flyover country and the rust belt felt quite alienated by the political machine. Hillary was more of the same, nothing exciting, just like a buick car. At least with trump, he was unique and gave them something to believe in. Gary Johnson may/may not have acted as Ralph Nader II and siphoned some votes from Hillary.
    The problem was that Democrats back in the time when Obama first got elected had all sorts of promises about turning around the country. Those promises have been shown to be garbage and that the party was in fact controlled by power brokers that had no interests in the condition of the average American. Basically the Democrats demonstrated that they are in fact worst than the republicans when it comes to the best interests of Americans.
    Yes, Obama's promises were BS. He betrayed my vote. Not only did he NOT investigate the Bush II administration, he continued and expanded Bush II policies. I did not vote for him a second time. The Democratic Party of today has swung very far right compared to the Democratic Party of decades ago (or even 8 years ago). At this point, there's very little differentiating the two parties, which makes sense when you consider where they both get their livelihood: corporations. The Republican Party went insane with religious nuttiness and the democrat party became republican-lite because they could swing right while still maintaining consistency on social issues (probably just to differentiate themselves from republicans enough to say "see, we're different"). 

    NEITHER of the duopoly parties demonstrate good will toward the interests of Americans or anyone else on the planet. They only act to continue to concentrate their power and wealth. There is very little else they do (except for the insane religious republicans, who constantly try to drag us back to the Christian dark ages).
    ration alpscooter63baconstangmacplusplusduervojax44
  • Reply 63 of 162
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member

    wizard69 said:
    schlack said:
    I am ashamed of my country.
    rob53 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Uh, err, Daniel, the election is over. Your stump speech is a day late and a dollar short. Sore loser still fapping the fud, Daniel? Even Hillary said we need to at least give him a chance. I’m waiting to see how many celebrities actually move out of the U.S. like they swore they would do if The Donald won. Streisand, Amy Schumer, Notorious RBG, Whoopi Goldberg, Alec Baldwin, Cher, Miley Cyrus. Anybody see the For Sale signs yet?
    It isn't a stump speech, it's an attempt to understand how Trump's attempts at national policy would affect Apple. I've also heard people say he'll be impeached within his first year, if he even survives the federal racketeering charges. Of course, all the Republican and conservative judges will give him a pass because he's the incoming President and all he needs to do is force the trial into a conservative suburb or one of the many red districts in the farm land and nobody will convict him of anything.

    Yes, I'm upset he won because he has no business being our President. 
    "Yes, I'm upset he won because he has no business being our President."

    There's this little thing called a democracy where the people have the power to decide who leads the country and who doesn't. And they have spoken. 
    That little thing called democracy elected Hitler, elected Hamas, and made slavery legal for nearly one hundred years. Don't think that it being the will of the people, makes the evil of Trump and his agenda justifiable. Americans who voted for Trump will have to live with their choice. Let's just hope America is around in 4 years and that elections take place.
    Honestly I wish somebody would tell me what this evil is. He wants to keep terrorist and illegal aliens out of the country, there is nothing bad about that at all.
    Honestly, haven't you paid any attention to Trump or do you not have empathy for any of the people he constantly demonstrates antipathy or hate toward?

    Here's one person's reaction to the reality of a Trump presidency: http://www.jimchines.com/2016/11/yes-i-am-afraid/
    baconstangduervo
  • Reply 64 of 162
    Trump is serious about dealing with China
    he will impose tariffs because he wants fair trade and doesnt want to fund their military with profits from products selling in the US.

    apple is a classic case!!
    Trump will greatly hurt companies that rely on China as its manufacturing base as well as for new markets to sell their goods to. For example, if Apple were to repatriate its manufacturing, an iPhone may cost many thousands of dollars instead of mere hundreds

    Read more: How Will Trump's Policies on China Impact U.S. Business? (AAPL, GM) | Investopedia http://www.investopedia.com/news/how-will-trumps-policies-china-impact-us-business-aapl-gm/#ixzz4PZh7CzmQ 
    Follow us: Investopedia on Facebook

  • Reply 65 of 162
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    The worst damage to Apple from the coming administration of dunces could result from America becoming more of a pariah nation in the world than it already is. The last Republican administration gave us the war in Iraq. This guy makes George W. look good by comparison.

    Bad for Apple's business, or for any other exporter of American products.

    edited November 2016 lolliverbaconstangai46propod
  • Reply 66 of 162
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,035member
    dysamoria said:

    wizard69 said:
    securtis said:
    fpplan said:
    Comments from trump fans prove they tend to be nothing but unintelligent, angry people who get all their opinions and information from an echo chamber of internet memes.
    Obviously, lots of flyover country and the rust belt felt quite alienated by the political machine. Hillary was more of the same, nothing exciting, just like a buick car. At least with trump, he was unique and gave them something to believe in. Gary Johnson may/may not have acted as Ralph Nader II and siphoned some votes from Hillary.
    The problem was that Democrats back in the time when Obama first got elected had all sorts of promises about turning around the country. Those promises have been shown to be garbage and that the party was in fact controlled by power brokers that had no interests in the condition of the average American. Basically the Democrats demonstrated that they are in fact worst than the republicans when it comes to the best interests of Americans.
    Yes, Obama's promises were BS. He betrayed my vote. Not only did he NOT investigate the Bush II administration, he continued and expanded Bush II policies. I did not vote for him a second time. The Democratic Party of today has swung very far right compared to the Democratic Party of decades ago (or even 8 years ago). At this point, there's very little differentiating the two parties, which makes sense when you consider where they both get their livelihood: corporations. The Republican Party went insane with religious nuttiness and the democrat party became republican-lite because they could swing right while still maintaining consistency on social issues (probably just to differentiate themselves from republicans enough to say "see, we're different"). 

    NEITHER of the duopoly parties demonstrate good will toward the interests of Americans or anyone else on the planet. They only act to continue to concentrate their power and wealth. There is very little else they do (except for the insane religious republicans, who constantly try to drag us back to the Christian dark ages).
    I have to agree, bot sides are only interested in what is in it for them. They owe so many people who gave them all money and only answer to them. I personally believe the Republican are not all that religious. They just pander to that group to get them to vote for them. This group is single issue voters and as long as the candidate claims to support their issues around religion the sheep come of the pasture and vote. Case and point, the Bush II made a whole issue about gay marriage which most people could care less about but that 10% of the people who came out and voted cared about it. But it backfired, since it force the issue and run it up to the supreme court and now the country has ruling on gay marriage. The religious right lost that one and do you really think Bush cared about this issue.
    lolliverbaconstangduervo
  • Reply 67 of 162
    lkrupp said:
    Uh, err, Daniel, the election is over. Your stump speech is a day late and a dollar short. Sore loser still fapping the fud, Daniel? Even Hillary said we need to at least give him a chance. I’m waiting to see how many celebrities actually move out of the U.S. like they swore they would do if The Donald won. Streisand, Amy Schumer, Notorious RBG, Whoopi Goldberg, Alec Baldwin, Cher, Miley Cyrus. Anybody see the For Sale signs yet?
    Daniel doesn't like debating.  He'll block you on Twitter if you disagree with him.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 68 of 162
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    dysamoria said:

    wizard69 said:
    securtis said:
    fpplan said:
    Comments from trump fans prove they tend to be nothing but unintelligent, angry people who get all their opinions and information from an echo chamber of internet memes.
    Obviously, lots of flyover country and the rust belt felt quite alienated by the political machine. Hillary was more of the same, nothing exciting, just like a buick car. At least with trump, he was unique and gave them something to believe in. Gary Johnson may/may not have acted as Ralph Nader II and siphoned some votes from Hillary.
    The problem was that Democrats back in the time when Obama first got elected had all sorts of promises about turning around the country. Those promises have been shown to be garbage and that the party was in fact controlled by power brokers that had no interests in the condition of the average American. Basically the Democrats demonstrated that they are in fact worst than the republicans when it comes to the best interests of Americans.
    Yes, Obama's promises were BS. He betrayed my vote. Not only did he NOT investigate the Bush II administration, he continued and expanded Bush II policies. I did not vote for him a second time. The Democratic Party of today has swung very far right compared to the Democratic Party of decades ago (or even 8 years ago). At this point, there's very little differentiating the two parties, which makes sense when you consider where they both get their livelihood: corporations. The Republican Party went insane with religious nuttiness and the democrat party became republican-lite because they could swing right while still maintaining consistency on social issues (probably just to differentiate themselves from republicans enough to say "see, we're different"). 

    NEITHER of the duopoly parties demonstrate good will toward the interests of Americans or anyone else on the planet. They only act to continue to concentrate their power and wealth. There is very little else they do (except for the insane religious republicans, who constantly try to drag us back to the Christian dark ages).
    Why didn't you say something? I could have cleared this up for you. Obama was under orders not to investigate or even criticize the Bush war crimes. It's why he's still alive. You don't go against the intel-military establishment on pain of ending up like Kennedy. Trump will be taking orders from them too.

    I'm surprised you don't realize this. Presidents are largely figureheads. They get to meddle with social issues, but in Obama's case, he was jammed by the hostility of the ass-wipe Republican right from day one.
    baconstangpropod
  • Reply 69 of 162
    Trade war with China?
    Import tax on electronics (including APPL) from China?

    Any thoughts?

    Trying to force Apple (other HW companies including Amazon) to bring Manufacturing back to USA?
    Good luck....
    edited November 2016 baconstangsingularity
  • Reply 70 of 162
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Early this morning while the futures were tanking big time, I had a big smile on my face, it didn't bother me in the least, even though I hold some stocks, including AAPL. :#

    Who cares? I knew that it was only temporary, and the main issue was that Trump won and the corrupt establishment and the crooked media were all defeated! Yeah! Screw them all! 

    I am so tired of liberals, they truly disgust me.

    Watching crying liberals of lesser intelligence on youtube is like politics porn for me. I can keep watching a few of those clips on repeat, and their pain gives me great delight. It fills me with joy. B)

    Any liberals or moronic celebrities that are upset about the election should do what they promised, get the hell out, and leave. You will not be missed and you are not needed. 

    As for Apple, Apple will be just fine, as long as they keep concentrating on making the best possible devices.





    macseekerbestkeptsecretSpamSandwichgtrmacguitoddzrxslingwing
  • Reply 71 of 162
    roakeroake Posts: 784member
    dysamoria said:

    wizard69 said:
    schlack said:
    I am ashamed of my country.
    rob53 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Uh, err, Daniel, the election is over. Your stump speech is a day late and a dollar short. Sore loser still fapping the fud, Daniel? Even Hillary said we need to at least give him a chance. I’m waiting to see how many celebrities actually move out of the U.S. like they swore they would do if The Donald won. Streisand, Amy Schumer, Notorious RBG, Whoopi Goldberg, Alec Baldwin, Cher, Miley Cyrus. Anybody see the For Sale signs yet?
    It isn't a stump speech, it's an attempt to understand how Trump's attempts at national policy would affect Apple. I've also heard people say he'll be impeached within his first year, if he even survives the federal racketeering charges. Of course, all the Republican and conservative judges will give him a pass because he's the incoming President and all he needs to do is force the trial into a conservative suburb or one of the many red districts in the farm land and nobody will convict him of anything.

    Yes, I'm upset he won because he has no business being our President. 
    "Yes, I'm upset he won because he has no business being our President."

    There's this little thing called a democracy where the people have the power to decide who leads the country and who doesn't. And they have spoken. 
    That little thing called democracy elected Hitler, elected Hamas, and made slavery legal for nearly one hundred years. Don't think that it being the will of the people, makes the evil of Trump and his agenda justifiable. Americans who voted for Trump will have to live with their choice. Let's just hope America is around in 4 years and that elections take place.
    Honestly I wish somebody would tell me what this evil is. He wants to keep terrorist and illegal aliens out of the country, there is nothing bad about that at all.
    Honestly, haven't you paid any attention to Trump or do you not have empathy for any of the people he constantly demonstrates antipathy or hate toward?

    Here's one person's reaction to the reality of a Trump presidency: http://www.jimchines.com/2016/11/yes-i-am-afraid/
    If you think it's "hate" to ask someone to enter the country legally, than you clearly don't own a dictionary.

    My wife immigrated to the USA.  We started a fiancee visa, but after around a year of waiting, we got married in her home country.  We continued doing it the per the law.  Total wait time before she could get here, over 3 years.  I was born and raised in the USA, clean record, good job (which the government asked that I prove so that they could evaluate risk of taxpayers having to pay anything once she got here).  I was out a small fortune in fees to the government, attorney fees, costs of frequent travel to see my wife, and lost work due to traveling.

    But we did it legally.  We didn't regret it.  It was worth it.

    Legal immigrants are inconvenienced, certainly, but they are also vetted on many different levels to determine that they aren't terrorists, won't be a burden on taxpayers, etc.  US Citizens and representatives voted to have these laws for good reasons.

    Now, if someone wants others to obey the law, then you say that's "hate."

    From what I can tell, the "new" definition of "hate" is when someone says something you don't agree with.
    securtismacseekerSpamSandwichgtrtoddzrxslingwing
  • Reply 72 of 162
    cpsro said:
    lkrupp said:
    Uh, err, Daniel, the election is over. Your stump speech is a day late and a dollar short.
    Thank you. The people who voted Trump into office now need to stand up and take responsibility for their indiscretion. AI is merely highlighting the direction you helped send the U.S.A., but I guess you can't take it. Trump can't take criticism either.
    Sure. I voted for him over a member of the Clinton Crime Family.
    apple ][macseekergtrslingwing
  • Reply 73 of 162
    red oak said:
    Your obviously seething about the election results, being you were so far up the Democrats and HRC's asses

    BTW, it's a 10% tax holiday and then 15% going forward on all foreign earnings. Apple will be all over this and will be able to bring $200B back to the US if they wish 

    More important, it would be a 15% income tax on everything going forward, vs the current 26% Apple has been accruing.  It would be a massive windfall and dramaticallly improve operating results of the company going forward.  Was this too inconsequential for you to mention in your tirade? 


    Damn right.
    apple ][slingwing
  • Reply 74 of 162
    I think brexit and trump show that neoliberalism which has dominated the political landscape of the last half century.........is dead
    apple ][macseekermacplusplusSpamSandwichtoddzrxslingwingroake
  • Reply 75 of 162
    I'm surprised some people seem to object to this article--I think it's useful and interesting to contemplate, based on what we know so far, and this is a thoughtful effort. And perhaps the biggest point is that we don't know much about what he would really do or be able to do, given that so many of his proposals have been more conceptual than concrete or consistent, and based on the perspective of a real estate developer rather than someone with a knowledge of government. As that changes, a more clear picture should emerge.

    One additional point is that some of his more globally controversial proposals could lead to a weaker dollar, which would clearly be good for Apple in some ways, as long as those same proposals didn't hurt Apple more in other ways. (Please don't take this as an invitation for angry off-topic rants--I've done my best to keep mine objective.)
    Dilger has always been an Obama, then a Hillary shill. I honestly cannot understand the rationale behind such support.
    apple ][macseekerredefiler
  • Reply 76 of 162
    can't believe 59 million people voted for this unqualified, crook, idiot, charlatan 
    edited November 2016 Solibaconstangsingularitysmiffy31duervomacgui
  • Reply 77 of 162
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    johnbear said:
    can't believe 59 million people voted for this unqualified, crook, idiot, charlatan 
    Don't worry.

    The unqualified charlatan and incompetent liar will be out of the WH for good on Jan 20, 2017.
    bestkeptsecrettallest skilmacseekermacplusplusasdasdSpamSandwichgtrtoddzrxslingwingroake
  • Reply 78 of 162
    This is a true democracy. So we have to live with Bush, Obama, and now Trump.  This country is not ruled by personalities but by the collective wisdom.  Unfortunately, full tilt to a Republican side would increase the pressure on companies like Apple because they are the "Law and Order" party not afraid of trampling on individual freedoms. But this too shall pass as it has over the last 240 years.
    Soli
  • Reply 79 of 162
    ben20ben20 Posts: 126member
    I bet like Apple will move manufacturing back to the USA very quickly when tarifs kicks in. And create some manufacturing jobs here !
  • Reply 80 of 162
    Wow, just WOW.

    I'm surprised Apple Insider is going into the realm of propaganda.

    Please cite references when making claims. Trump has not mentioned taxing foreign revenue at 10%, where did you read that?
    Just goto the source: https://www.donaldjtrump.com/policies/tax-plan/?/positions/tax-reform

    He wants to reduce corporate taxes from 35% -> 15%
    He wants to repatriate offshore funds at a one-time rate of 10%, which Tim Cook is actually happy about.

    I think the writer is getting confused with Bernie Sanders who wanted to tax US companies where ever they did business.

    Either Apple Insider made a lazy mistake or is just spewing out false info.
    roaketallest skilmacseekermacplusplusSpamSandwichaderutter
This discussion has been closed.