Apple invites press to Sept. 12 event at Apple Park's Steve Jobs Theater for 'iPhone 8'

Comments

• Reply 141 of 449
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    7home said:
    Is it flag of the Czech Republic inside the apple?
    Ultimately it's irrelevant what it is.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 142 of 449
    avon b7 said:
    mike1 said:
    avon b7 said:
    The colours on the invite look promising. I hope rose gold, dark greys and even black are given the boot for a few years.
    Oh please. And piss off half the customer base. Space Gray/Black has always been the most popular color choice.
    And if those two were no longer options, logic says new offerings would take their place!

Time to be courageous again! Black is now officially boring, old hat. Call it what you want but if the iPhone 8 wasn't available in black, rose gold or dark grey it would be a stand out moment.

Yes, I know it won't happen but those colours need a rest IMO.
    No.
    StrangeDayspscooter63
  • Reply 143 of 449

avon b7 said:
    A follow up to my previous post. Huawei just let slip some information by accident.

http://www.techradar.com/news/huawei-just-accidentally-revealed-the-mate-10-chipset-early-at-ifa-2017

They are claiming the world's first mobile AI processing unit.

The official presentation isn't until tomorrow but if what is being claimed actually works on the device, they may have upped the ante a little. This makes me think Apple might also have something along those lines for their big reveal on the 12th.
    The cloud is always going to be more powerful.
  • Reply 144 of 449

avon b7 said:
    I'd opt for 'iPhone X' or 'Apple Phone X'.
    They'll probably call the new phones iPhone 8, 7s and 7s Plus. And eventually in a few years when they streamline to have 3 different size phones of the same design they can then get rid of the numbering scheme and name them in Settings as they do on Macs:

iPhone (mini, Late 2022)
    iPhone (Late 2022)
    iPhone (Plus, Late 2022)
    edited September 2017 ronn
  • Reply 145 of 449
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,963member
    ireland said:

avon b7 said:
    A follow up to my previous post. Huawei just let slip some information by accident.

http://www.techradar.com/news/huawei-just-accidentally-revealed-the-mate-10-chipset-early-at-ifa-2017

The official presentation isn't until tomorrow but if what is being claimed actually works on the device, they may have upped the ante a little. This makes me think Apple might also have something along those lines for their big reveal on the 12th.
    The cloud can do a lot but local will always be better for some aspects. In this case, x50 in battery efficiency and x25 in CPU efficiency is being touted. Seems far fetched but that's what is being said.

I would also love to see some Siri commands resolved locally too. Music control for example.
    patchythepiratewonkothesane
  • Reply 146 of 449
    avon b7 said:
    ireland said:

avon b7 said:

The cloud can do a lot but local will always be better for some aspects. In this case, x50 in battery efficiency and x25 in CPU efficiency is being touted. Seems far fetched but that's what is being said.

I would also love to see some Siri commands resolved locally too. Music control for example.
    Yeah local processing for certain commends will be a natural progression. The cloud will remain much more important however. The intelligence exponential of the cloud regarding so-called AI will always I think outpace what's possible locally.
    edited September 2017 tmay
  • Reply 147 of 449
    avon b7 said:

Nobody cares. Even "if" they have a machine learning processor on board, how will it get used? The biggest problem with Android is device makers adding their own custom hardware that isn't actually supported by Android. So none of your Apps will properly take advantage of those features.

The rest of the 970 is generic off-the-shelf A73, A53 and Mali parts. Nothing new here, just another SoC based on ARM cores. At least Samsung and Qualcomm are now trying their hand at making their own custom cores, although they are still WAY behind Apple in this regard. The A11 should hit 4,000 single core, which makes it literally double that of the 835 or 8895. Quite amazing how far ahead Apple is. 
    tmayStrangeDaysronnpatchythepiratenetmagewonkothesane
  • Reply 148 of 449
    avon b7 said:

Nobody cares. Even "if" they have a machine learning processor on board, how will it get used? The biggest problem with Android is device makers adding their own custom hardware that isn't actually supported by Android. So none of your Apps will properly take advantage of those features.

The rest of the 970 is generic off-the-shelf A73, A53 and Mali parts. Nothing new here, just another SoC based on ARM cores. At least Samsung and Qualcomm are now trying their hand at making their own custom cores, although they are still WAY behind Apple in this regard. The A11 should hit 4,000 single core, which makes it literally double that of the 835 or 8895. Quite amazing how far ahead Apple is. 
    If nobody cared, this site wouldn't have half as much Google and Samsung content.
    lkruppgatorguy
  • Reply 149 of 449
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

If nobody cared, this site wouldn't have half as much Google and Samsung content.
    Well congrats to you for your considerable efforts to increase that content further, Your loyalties to Android OS and Android OEM's surely have been noted by your handlers.

Sad, neither you nor I are buying iPhone 8's; me because I'm more interested in waiting for next year's, and completely happy with my iPhone 7 Plus, and you because you will be unable to remain the newest contrarian on AI if you capitulate.
    edited September 2017 ericthehalfbeeStrangeDaysnhtpscooter63ronn
  • Reply 150 of 449
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

Well congrats to you for your considerable efforts to increase that content further, Your loyalties to Android OS and Android OEM's surely have been noted by your handlers.

Sad, neither you nor I are buying iPhone 8's; me because I'm more interested in waiting for next year's, and completely happy with my iPhone 7 Plus, and you because you will be unable to remain the newest contrarian on AI if you capitulate.
    I am actually in the market for an iPhone this year but it depends entirely on price. That would appear to rule out the iPhone 8 but the iPhone 7s is on my radar although it wouldn't be for me personally it would be my cash flowing into Apple Sales International. LOL.
    netmage
  • Reply 151 of 449
    mattinoz said:
    Soli said:
    So by holding it in the Steve Jobs theater they’re either not inviting many in the media or not many employees will be attending. 
    Doesn’t it seat 1,000?
    Exactly 1000 or is that just a number that was thrown around so long ago that Steve Jobs was still alive? It's been long enough that things could change. Even seats that are a little wider or more narrow, or rows a little closer or further apart could easily affect that number if nothing else has changed.
    Exactly number was probably 1024 with all seats in banks of 8 but a few have been lost along the way.

I hope they ultimately went with 666.66 seats.
    StrangeDaysSpamSandwich
  • Reply 152 of 449
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    wizard69 said:
    Will be interesting to see what other changes and improvements Apple will offer with the iPhone 8 / X / Pro that haven't leaked already.  I feel like we're only hearing about some of the bigger changes, like the shift to OLED, facial scanning, glass back.  I wonder what kind of improvements they'll bring on processor speed, graphics, battery life, etc., as those things are what makes the experience what it is.  Would be great for them to get 18-24 hour battery life as well as an even better water resistance rating.
    Processor speed - Class leading. Gaphics - Class leading. Battery life - Class leading, unless Apple decides to cut down on the battery capacity significantly compared to the iPhone 7 generation. A11 will be a huge improvement compared to A10 due to movement to 10nm this year. Benchmarks for A10X already prove that. Android flagship phones this year (with 10nm SD 835/Exynos 8895) have "similar" battery life compared to last year, despite having "smaller" batteries. Hope Apple does not take that route this year.
    The 10 nm shrink is good for power but we don't know if Apple will implement anything that uses up that power budget.     We could see new tech in the SoC such as an Apple designed GPU (hi probability) or an accelerator for machine learning or AI like behavior (low probability).

We have no idea what Apple GPU will be like but it pretty much has to arrive this year due to already indicated expiring relationship with Imagination.   The question is what will that Apple GPU be doing that Imagination wasn't able to deliver.   I suspect at least a bit more capability for computational threads and heterogenous computing.    Then we can expect a big boost to the CPU, likely going to double the cores, this due to the expansion in die area.    SoC power could very well be in the same ball park when maxed out, idle should be a big win though.
    We’ve discussed this before, but since you mentioned it, i’d Like to bring it up.

the A10x is agreed to be on 10nm, as opposed to the A9x being on 16nm. The chip size difference is enormance, at 145 square mm for the A9x vs 96 square mm for the A10x.

yet, Apple squeezed another high performance core and high efficiency core in the A10x. That was quite an achievement. And, chip manufacturers and designers don’t like to put new architectures into the first core shrink, so we might see Apple do that with their second core shrink with the A11.

Since the A10x is a very small chip for Apple going back several years, the question is how they would take advantage of this compactness. Would they keep the new chip small, and use higher power efficiency, or would they go to a larger chip and pack a lot more inside, and go mostly for performance and features. Remember that the “x” series packs twice the GPU cores than the plain version does, so Apple will have even more room to play with.

the power budget for the ipad versions is about 5 watts, and for the phones it’s about 3, so there is that difference. But from what I gather, the A10x is using less than 5 watts, but by how much, I don’t know. One reason for all of this is that going from 16nm to 10nm is a bigger step than going from 14nm to 10. So we see pretty big gains.

i’m not sure if we’ll see an entire Apple GPU yet. It’s hard to decipher what Apple was saying when they stated that they wouldn’t use Imagination’s tech after 15 to 24 months, or whatever the exact period was. It could mean that we will see an entirely Apple GPU, and only older devices will be using the older tech until they’re discontinued, which is certainly possible. Or it could meant that Apple isn’t ready to unveil their new GPU yet. We do know, according to Apple, that they haven’t used any new tech from them past the 2015 cores, and that, apparently, Apple has used their own resources for additional performance gains. Anandtech has been saying for a couple of years that the GPU didn’t seem to exactly match that of Imagination;s offerings, and that they believed Apple was using parts of their own, replacing that of imagination. Last year, in fact, they first thought the cores were entirely Apple’s, then backed down from that.

apparently, one of the disputes was that imagination wouldn’t work with Apple about adding AR/VR functionality to the GPU. At first, I thought that was crazy. why would not they? Then, we read that Microsoft is dropping them because they wouldn’t accommodate Microsoft’s needs for those same reasons for Microsoft’s VR glasses. So imagination seems to be very poorly lead. 
    patchythepiratenetmage
  • Reply 153 of 449
    staigard said:
    I put everything I had into AAPL 9 years ago. I have never touched it and last week my investment passed the 3 million mark. I was feeling a bit guilty ... the old pretestant work ethic you know ... getting money for nothing. But now I am told that I am an ACTIVE investor. That's makes me feel good  ... an active, hardworking investor deserves his dividend :-)

Ouch.  It must have hurt to lose about 1/3 of "everything you had" when AAPL cratered a few months after that investment.  Good for you for sticking it out rather than panicking.
  • Reply 154 of 449
    Steve Jobs Theater is a huge Home Button

randominternetpersonwelshdogalcstarheelanantksundaramSpamSandwichronn
  • Reply 155 of 449

wizard69 said:
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    lkrupp said:
    Gone will be the days of citizen 'photojournalists' peaking in windows, filming banners being put up, watching for signs of product shipments at Apple's previous venues for product announcements. Apple now has total control at the Steve Jobs Theater. Nobody gets in, nobody gets out without Apple knowing about it. WiFi can be disabled, LTE can be jammed. Leo LaPorte can't set up shop across the street and pretend to be an invited guest. Oh the humanity!
    Can they legally jam wireless data? I thought that jammers were illegal for safety reasons. What I think they can do is create passive jammers, like building a Faraday cage around the underground event so that data can't be sent through the walls or simply use materials that make it difficult to impossible for signals to pass.
    Jamming LTE, WiFi, etc is a federal crime so Apple can't obviously do that.
    But that only accounts for active jammers, right? They could simply refortify the structure so that data is hard to be passed through the thick walls, right?

Still, I do see why it would help Apple to do this expect to push more people to their own streams, but I'd argue that even that doesn't help to get the knowledge out about their new products.
    I believe so. You used to be able to buy them like 10 years ago. Yep, Apple could do that with the walls. Since its underground, phone service might not work well to begin with. As someone else mentioned, they don't have to offer WiFi either. I agree though. I don't see why Apple would bother trying to stop people from having a live blog of the event. 
    While Apple doesn’t have to offer their own WiFi, though they might, they’re aren’t allowed to actively jam any telecommunication signals. If it could be shown that the building was built to purposefully jam signals, Apple could get in trouble. If anything, I would think that they would want to aid these people, not hold them back.
    A building opaque to RF transmission is not illegal.   What is illegal is the active transmission of an RF signal that interferes with the lawful use of spectrum allocated to other services.   

While the FCC often gets saddled with tasks It doesn't really want to pursue by congress, their primary concern is the management of a limited resource.    Jammers by definition interfere with lawful transmission from services allocated to the band that the jammer is operating on.
    I’m not so sure about that. The FCC states that blocking telecommunications is illegal. You’d have to show me that intentional blocking by building design, other than for R&D and manufacturing purposes isn’t included. Maybe your’re right, but I haven’t delved into it too deeply.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 156 of 449
    melgross said:
    i’m an active investor, which just means that I do all of the decisions myself, and don’t use managed accounts. So I have to be on the ball about it. Really, if you’re not doing estimates, you shouldn’t be an active investor. Just do what Buffet advises, and get a bundle of the Fortune 500 without management. Otherwise, it requires work.
    Thanks for the (condescending) advice. Yeah, I happen to know a little bit about investing too, manage mine as well, so I am good.

The last thing this board needs is another sog35-type amateur investor bragging about stock price estimates for Apple (or any other stock), or some back and forth about market price forecasts. They go nowhere quickly.
    Condescending advice? What was condescending about it?
    Why, are you the expert on condescension?
    Just my opinion, but you seem pretty damn touchy about nearly everything.
    stompypatchythepirate
  • Reply 157 of 449

melgross said:
    melgross said:

melgross said:
    i’m an active investor, which just means that I do all of the decisions myself, and don’t use managed accounts. So I have to be on the ball about it. Really, if you’re not doing estimates, you shouldn’t be an active investor. Just do what Buffet advises, and get a bundle of the Fortune 500 without management. Otherwise, it requires work.
    Thanks for the (condescending) advice. Yeah, I happen to know a little bit about investing too, manage mine as well, so I am good.

The last thing this board needs is another sog35-type amateur investor bragging about stock price estimates for Apple (or any other stock), or some back and forth about market price forecasts. They go nowhere quickly.
    I don’t know what you consider to be an amateur. You can only speak for yourself. In addition, any estimates we care to make, based on whatever facts and speculation we care to us, is our business, not yours. And remember that you are the one who. Made a condescending post to me. I didn’t make one to you. I was just explaining my position.

sorry that your superior sensibility and knowledge was hurt.
    Oh gosh, not at all. I quite vividly recall our many discussions from many years ago, and your views on basic principles of valuation, and on things such as PE ratios, risk, cash flows, cost of capital, etc. Basedd on the many things you've said, I have a rather strong basis for the view I have formed.

That said, it's your wont to express any opinion on this forum, just as it is mine. It's a free country. It should be pointed out, however, that you seemed to be the one to take umbrage over my pointing out -- a couple of others pointed it out too, earlier in this thread -- that price forecasts for AAPL in the $175 region were not unique to you or sog35. I was simply saying something similar, and providing data on the median analyst forecast which also happens to be $175 per share (with a max that goes to $208). And I gave you a link.

Perhaps you or sog35 do (although I would find that difficult to believe), but I have no superior sensibility or knowledge to forecast stock prices.

As an aside, didn't AI used to have a separate section of stock price discussions (just as they did for political discussions)? I don't know if it's still there, but given the topic at hand in this blog, it seems like a discussion of stock price forecasts seems a tad misplaced.

It’s nice that you’ve formed such a strong opinion of my investing knowledge. I’d be curious as to which one if has done better during that time, but obviously, that can never happen. There’s usually a good reason as to why different people come to a similar conclusion about something, and that’s not bad. You seem to be trying to make it so though.
    I said I have a 'strong basis' for my opinion. That's not the same as 'strong opinion.' Don't misstate.

I don't get into contests over who has.... er... bigger hands. I am glad you have convinced yourself that you can clearly separate luck from skill. Good for you.  
    It’s still just an opinion. If you state that basis it would be easier to evaluate it. Otherwise, we don’t know anything about it, and it’s just another opinion among  many.
    gatorguypatchythepirate
  • Reply 158 of 449
    Appleish said:
    They're going to be cutting it close on the Steve Jobs Theater. The latest quadrocopter "spy videos" showed people still working on it. Could still be some loose nuts and bolts in need of tightening.
    Seek help.
    Goodbye. Blocked.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 159 of 449
    Soli said:
    …it would be iPhone 11 since the iPhone 7s series would be the 10th.
    Only if you count the 3G as being the same phone as the original since it used the same processor.

iPhone
    iPhone 3G
    iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4S
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5S
    iPhone 6
    iPhone 6S
    iPhone 7
    iPhone 7S

That’s 11 for the last one. 8 (in the normal cycle) is 12, but apparently they ARE actually going to release either two models or just 7 with a modified body for its ‘lower price’ release.

I'm with you.  Clearly the next one should be the iPhone 2 to fill in that glaring numbering gap.

Did we ever learn what the "S" stands for? 

• Reply 160 of 449
    Soli said:
    staigard said:
    I put everything I had into AAPL 9 years ago. I have never touched it and last week my investment passed the 3 million mark. I was feeling a bit guilty ... the old pretestant work ethic you know ... getting money for nothing. But now I am told that I am an ACTIVE investor. That's makes me feel good  ... an active, hardworking investor deserves his dividend :-)
    I started investing with Apple long before dividends came about and even then I was able to live off my dividends from other investments. When Apple started issuing them that just made everything even better.
    I was surprised when Apple announced the dividends. Not that I wasn’t happy.
    Soli