Apple invites press to Sept. 12 event at Apple Park's Steve Jobs Theater for 'iPhone 8'

Comments

• Reply 161 of 449
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,898moderator
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    A follow up to my previous post. Huawei just let slip some information by accident.

http://www.techradar.com/news/huawei-just-accidentally-revealed-the-mate-10-chipset-early-at-ifa-2017

They are claiming the world's first mobile AI processing unit.

The official presentation isn't until tomorrow but if what is being claimed actually works on the device, they may have upped the ante a little. This makes me think Apple might also have something along those lines for their big reveal on the 12th.

Nobody cares. Even "if" they have a machine learning processor on board, how will it get used? The biggest problem with Android is device makers adding their own custom hardware that isn't actually supported by Android. So none of your Apps will properly take advantage of those features.

The rest of the 970 is generic off-the-shelf A73, A53 and Mali parts. Nothing new here, just another SoC based on ARM cores. At least Samsung and Qualcomm are now trying their hand at making their own custom cores, although they are still WAY behind Apple in this regard. The A11 should hit 4,000 single core, which makes it literally double that of the 835 or 8895. Quite amazing how far ahead Apple is. 
    If nobody cared, this site wouldn't have half as much Google and Samsung content.
    Well congrats to you for your considerable efforts to increase that content further, Your loyalties to Android OS and Android OEM's surely have been noted by your handlers.

Sad, neither you nor I are buying iPhone 8's; me because I'm more interested in waiting for next year's, and completely happy with my iPhone 7 Plus, and you because you will be unable to remain the newest contrarian on AI if you capitulate.
    I am actually in the market for an iPhone this year but it depends entirely on price. That would appear to rule out the iPhone 8 but the iPhone 7s is on my radar although it wouldn't be for me personally it would be my cash flowing into Apple Sales International. LOL.
    I'm curious, do you give any consideration to resale value -- total cost of ownership -- when you compare Android to iPhone potential purchases?  
    StrangeDaysbluefire1pscooter63
  • Reply 162 of 449
    avon b7 said:
    I'd opt for 'iPhone X' or 'Apple Phone X'.

Now that Apple has OS X behind them, I doubt they will name another product with a (problematic) Roman numeral X any time soon.  "Is it pronounced 'OS ecks' or 'OS 'ten'?"

StrangeDays
  • Reply 163 of 449
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    polymnia said:
    polymnia said:
    melgross said:
    i’m an active investor, which just means that I do all of the decisions myself, and don’t use managed accounts. So I have to be on the ball about it. Really, if you’re not doing estimates, you shouldn’t be an active investor. Just do what Buffet advises, and get a bundle of the Fortune 500 without management. Otherwise, it requires work.
    Thanks for the (condescending) advice. Yeah, I happen to know a little bit about investing too, manage mine as well, so I am good.

The last thing this board needs is another sog35-type amateur investor bragging about stock price estimates for Apple (or any other stock), or some back and forth about market price forecasts. They go nowhere quickly.
    This particular member is quite the condescending one. Just had an extremely unpleasant discussion with him about software pricing. He thinks quite highly of his opinion.
    I think he means well. Perhaps it's a problem with communication style. 
    When his communication style involves fabricating statements the person he is trying to communicate with never made then proceeds to tear this unwitting communicant down condescendingly while all the time insisting that he alone possesses "reason" in the exchange, yeah, it's a problem. 
    I wasn’t going to comment, but I’d like to know what fabrication you suppose I made. Saying someone is wrong is one thing, but when you accuse them of lying, you had better have hard proof.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 164 of 449
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    A follow up to my previous post. Huawei just let slip some information by accident.

http://www.techradar.com/news/huawei-just-accidentally-revealed-the-mate-10-chipset-early-at-ifa-2017

The official presentation isn't until tomorrow but if what is being claimed actually works on the device, they may have upped the ante a little. This makes me think Apple might also have something along those lines for their big reveal on the 12th.

Nobody cares. Even "if" they have a machine learning processor on board, how will it get used? The biggest problem with Android is device makers adding their own custom hardware that isn't actually supported by Android. So none of your Apps will properly take advantage of those features.

The rest of the 970 is generic off-the-shelf A73, A53 and Mali parts. Nothing new here, just another SoC based on ARM cores. At least Samsung and Qualcomm are now trying their hand at making their own custom cores, although they are still WAY behind Apple in this regard. The A11 should hit 4,000 single core, which makes it literally double that of the 835 or 8895. Quite amazing how far ahead Apple is. 
    If nobody cared, this site wouldn't have half as much Google and Samsung content.
    Well congrats to you for your considerable efforts to increase that content further, Your loyalties to Android OS and Android OEM's surely have been noted by your handlers.

Sad, neither you nor I are buying iPhone 8's; me because I'm more interested in waiting for next year's, and completely happy with my iPhone 7 Plus, and you because you will be unable to remain the newest contrarian on AI if you capitulate.
    I am actually in the market for an iPhone this year but it depends entirely on price. That would appear to rule out the iPhone 8 but the iPhone 7s is on my radar although it wouldn't be for me personally it would be my cash flowing into Apple Sales International. LOL.
    You previously mentioned that your wife was in the market, so no, I don't think it is on your radar at all, though it sounds like you would like to make the decision for her. 

I don't really care what you do; to be honest, it isn't my business. I do find it odd that you are so outspoken about iPhone colors, based on your comments, yet are constantly hawking arcane features and cost benefits of Android OEM's. One would almost think that you are avoiding speaking out on anything superior in iOS or iPhone hardware.

You needn't continue to pretend that you have any interest in iPhones.
    edited September 2017 StrangeDayspscooter63netmage
  • Reply 165 of 449
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

Let me know when AI does an article on Kirin processors.
    StrangeDaysronnnetmage
  • Reply 166 of 449
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,965member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

You previously mentioned that your wife was in the market, so no, I don't think it is on your radar at all, though it sounds like you would like to make the decision for her. 

I don't really care what you do; to be honest, it isn't my business. I do find it odd that you are so outspoken about iPhone colors, based on your comments, yet are constantly hawking arcane features and cost benefits of Android OEM's. One would almost think that you are avoiding speaking out on anything superior in iOS or iPhone hardware.

You needn't continue to pretend that you have any interest in iPhones.
    Colours are pure opinion. Everyone has there own taste. The new phone would be a gift for my wife but I do all the tech support for it, resolve compatibility issues etc.

Swapping in a new battery to the iPhone 6 has given me some breathing room but the plan was always to.get her upgraded this year and she wants an iPhone. The fact that Apple has been recently pushing the 6 as a low cost option means that it could be workable for another year. Not sure if she will move to iOS 11. I will wait and see if there is any kind of noticeable slowdown before moving up.
  • Reply 167 of 449
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    melgross said:
    polymnia said:
    polymnia said:
    melgross said:
    i’m an active investor, which just means that I do all of the decisions myself, and don’t use managed accounts. So I have to be on the ball about it. Really, if you’re not doing estimates, you shouldn’t be an active investor. Just do what Buffet advises, and get a bundle of the Fortune 500 without management. Otherwise, it requires work.
    Thanks for the (condescending) advice. Yeah, I happen to know a little bit about investing too, manage mine as well, so I am good.

The last thing this board needs is another sog35-type amateur investor bragging about stock price estimates for Apple (or any other stock), or some back and forth about market price forecasts. They go nowhere quickly.
    This particular member is quite the condescending one. Just had an extremely unpleasant discussion with him about software pricing. He thinks quite highly of his opinion.
    I think he means well. Perhaps it's a problem with communication style. 
    When his communication style involves fabricating statements the person he is trying to communicate with never made then proceeds to tear this unwitting communicant down condescendingly while all the time insisting that he alone possesses "reason" in the exchange, yeah, it's a problem. 
    I wasn’t going to comment, but I’d like to know what fabrication you suppose I made. Saying someone is wrong is one thing, but when you accuse them of lying, you had better have hard proof.
    I pointed out your fabrication in our last exchange. I'm not going to reprint it here. 

I'm not surprised to see you having trouble getting along with others here. Especially your insistence that other people's ideas are "opinions" while yours are "facts"
  • Reply 168 of 449
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Soli said:
    …it would be iPhone 11 since the iPhone 7s series would be the 10th.
    Only if you count the 3G as being the same phone as the original since it used the same processor.

iPhone
    iPhone 3G
    iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4S
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5S
    iPhone 6
    iPhone 6S
    iPhone 7
    iPhone 7S

That’s 11 for the last one. 8 (in the normal cycle) is 12, but apparently they ARE actually going to release either two models or just 7 with a modified body for its ‘lower price’ release.

I'm with you.  Clearly the next one should be the iPhone 2 to fill in that glaring numbering gap.

Did we ever learn what the "S" stands for? 

Do we care? Surely it’s an arbitrary model number simply to differentiate it from non-s models.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 169 of 449
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,585member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

They've been discussed several times in AI articles. Use your favorite browser and search "AppleInsider Kirin" and "AppleInsider HiSilicon"  tho it doesn't help the point you thought you were making.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 170 of 449
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,913member

mike54 said:
    ... one more thing... Mac Mini !     ...please?
    Mac mini???? Bahahahahahaha! Who gives a shit about the Mac mini? Any new Mac mini is going to be the same as what's available today, only with faster processors and the latest Intel graphics. I wouldn't get your hopes up on anything more. 
  • Reply 171 of 449
    melgross said:

wizard69 said:
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    lkrupp said:
    Gone will be the days of citizen 'photojournalists' peaking in windows, filming banners being put up, watching for signs of product shipments at Apple's previous venues for product announcements. Apple now has total control at the Steve Jobs Theater. Nobody gets in, nobody gets out without Apple knowing about it. WiFi can be disabled, LTE can be jammed. Leo LaPorte can't set up shop across the street and pretend to be an invited guest. Oh the humanity!
    Can they legally jam wireless data? I thought that jammers were illegal for safety reasons. What I think they can do is create passive jammers, like building a Faraday cage around the underground event so that data can't be sent through the walls or simply use materials that make it difficult to impossible for signals to pass.
    Jamming LTE, WiFi, etc is a federal crime so Apple can't obviously do that.
    But that only accounts for active jammers, right? They could simply refortify the structure so that data is hard to be passed through the thick walls, right?

Still, I do see why it would help Apple to do this expect to push more people to their own streams, but I'd argue that even that doesn't help to get the knowledge out about their new products.
    I believe so. You used to be able to buy them like 10 years ago. Yep, Apple could do that with the walls. Since its underground, phone service might not work well to begin with. As someone else mentioned, they don't have to offer WiFi either. I agree though. I don't see why Apple would bother trying to stop people from having a live blog of the event. 
    While Apple doesn’t have to offer their own WiFi, though they might, they’re aren’t allowed to actively jam any telecommunication signals. If it could be shown that the building was built to purposefully jam signals, Apple could get in trouble. If anything, I would think that they would want to aid these people, not hold them back.
    A building opaque to RF transmission is not illegal.   What is illegal is the active transmission of an RF signal that interferes with the lawful use of spectrum allocated to other services.   

While the FCC often gets saddled with tasks It doesn't really want to pursue by congress, their primary concern is the management of a limited resource.    Jammers by definition interfere with lawful transmission from services allocated to the band that the jammer is operating on.
    I’m not so sure about that. The FCC states that blocking telecommunications is illegal. You’d have to show me that intentional blocking by building design, other than for R&D and manufacturing purposes isn’t included. Maybe your’re right, but I haven’t delved into it too deeply.

From what I can see that's not what the FCC states.  The prohibition is against interference by other emissions.  For instance, this page is easy to find on the FCC site, but there is no such page regarding illegal shielding. 

https://www.fcc.gov/general/jammer-enforcement

"Federal law prohibits the operation, marketing, or sale of any type of jamming equipment, including devices that interfere with cellular and Personal Communication Services (PCS), police radar, Global Positioning Systems (GPS), and wireless networking services (Wi-Fi)."

And then there are companies like this who advertise their services to companies and individuals who want to reduce their exposure to RF radiation.  http://www.emfrf.com/

netmage
  • Reply 172 of 449
    gatorguy said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

They've been discussed several times in AI articles. Use your favorite browser and search "AppleInsider Kirin", tho it doesn't help the point you thought you were making.

I said "let me know when AI does an article on Kirin processors", not "AI has never mentioned them before".
    StrangeDayspscooter63ronnnetmage
  • Reply 173 of 449
    ireland said:
    Soli said:
    Only if you count the 3G as being the same phone as the original since it used the same processor.

iPhone
    iPhone 3G
    iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4S
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5S
    iPhone 6
    iPhone 6S
    iPhone 7
    iPhone 7S

That’s 11 for the last one. 8 (in the normal cycle) is 12, but apparently they ARE actually going to release either two models or just 7 with a modified body for its ‘lower price’ release.

I'm with you.  Clearly the next one should be the iPhone 2 to fill in that glaring numbering gap.

Do we care? Surely it’s an arbitrary model number simply to differentiate it from non-s models.

Why do we care?  Call it curiosity.  Call it wanting insight into the Apple corporate thought process.  Surely the decision wasn't arbitrary.  Steve didn't say "I don't want to go to iPhone 6 yet, add a random letter on the end of the iPhone 5 name."  There was some reason why it wasn't called the iPhone 5x or 5p or 5ex or 5fu.  Personally I think "s" was a particularly bad choice (strictly because of the pluralization challenge).  Obviously at the end of the day, it's not a bid deal, but we're not exactly ending world hunger on this site.

For comparison, for the past 15 years ago, Oracle has stuck a letter on the end of their major version to highlight their current focus.  Larry Ellison was a good friend of Steve Jobs, so this isn't completely irrelevant.  After Oracle 7 came Oracle 8i and 9i where "i" stood for "internet."  This was followed by 10g and 11g (g for "grid computing") and now 12c (c for cloud).

• Reply 174 of 449
    randominternetperson said:
    Personally I think "s" was a particularly bad choice (strictly because of the pluralization challenge).
    Remember, though, that Apple doesn’t do that. Your device is the only one in the entire world, and as such it doesn’t receive an article–indefinite or otherwise–in any of the product literature, nor a plural.
    wonkothesane
  • Reply 175 of 449
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,585member
    gatorguy said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

They've been discussed several times in AI articles. Use your favorite browser and search "AppleInsider Kirin", tho it doesn't help the point you thought you were making.

I said "let me know when AI does an article on Kirin processors", not "AI has never mentioned them before".
    So then you had no point at all. :/
    The OP alluded to the very valid fact that if there was no interest in other companies products or OS's AI wouldn't keep bringing them up in article content, and folks like you, me, Tmay, Soli and hundreds of others wouldn't have any reason to comment in them when they do. And proving your own interest you frequently comment on even Android, or Google or Microsoft specific articles posted here.

Yes you're interested just as many of us are, and TBH we should be IMO. 

edited September 2017
  • Reply 176 of 449
    avon b7 said:
    ireland said:

avon b7 said:

The cloud is always going to be more powerful.
    The cloud can do a lot but local will always be better for some aspects. In this case, x50 in battery efficiency and x25 in CPU efficiency is being touted. Seems far fetched but that's what is being said.

I would also love to see some Siri commands resolved locally too. Music control for example.
    I was flabbergasted when driving through the mountains with no signal last week to discover that Siri could not resolve the command "Shuffle the playlist 'Tunes'." It never occurred to me that it would require a data connection just to understand the request.
    randominternetpersonSpamSandwichcornchip
  • Reply 177 of 449
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    ireland said:
    Soli said:

iPhone
    iPhone 3G
    iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4S
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5S
    iPhone 6
    iPhone 6S
    iPhone 7
    iPhone 7S

Why do we care?  Call it curiosity.  Call it wanting insight into the Apple corporate thought process.  Surely the decision wasn't arbitrary.  Steve didn't say "I don't want to go to iPhone 6 yet, add a random letter on the end of the iPhone 5 name."  There was some reason why it wasn't called the iPhone 5x or 5p or 5ex or 5fu.  Personally I think "s" was a particularly bad choice (strictly because of the pluralization challenge).  Obviously at the end of the day, it's not a bid deal, but we're not exactly ending world hunger on this site.

For comparison, for the past 15 years ago, Oracle has stuck a letter on the end of their major version to highlight their current focus.  Larry Ellison was a good friend of Steve Jobs, so this isn't completely irrelevant.  After Oracle 7 came Oracle 8i and 9i where "i" stood for "internet."  This was followed by 10g and 11g (g for "grid computing") and now 12c (c for cloud).

You're overthikng it. It really doesn't matter what the S stands for, just as it didn't matter what iPod meant. What matters is what the S does, not what it means. The S says this model is newer than the one without an S. This is the information is conveys and its objective. It's has significance thusly. Like people don't hear "SE" and think "special edition". They simply know you're talking about the small iPhone. These are model signifiers. Car makers have been doing this for decades.
    edited September 2017 pscooter63patchythepirate
  • Reply 178 of 449
    randominternetperson said:
    Personally I think "s" was a particularly bad choice (strictly because of the pluralization challenge).
    Remember, though, that Apple doesn’t do that. Your device is the only one in the entire world, and as such it doesn’t receive an article–indefinite or otherwise–in any of the product literature, nor a plural.
    Great link.  Thanks.  Funny read.
  • Reply 179 of 449
    ireland said:
    ireland said:
    Soli said:

iPhone
    iPhone 3G
    iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4S
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5S
    iPhone 6
    iPhone 6S
    iPhone 7
    iPhone 7S

You're overthikng it. It really doesn't matter what the S stands for, just as it didn't matter what iPod meant. What matters is what the S does, not what it means. The S says this model is newer than the one without an S. This is the information is conveys and its objective. It's has significance thusly. Like people don't hear "SE" and think "special edition". They simply know you're talking about the small iPhone. These are model signifiers. Car makers have been doing this for decades.
    Let me reword my statement.  I have a mild curiosity why they went with iPhone 5s instead of say iPhone 5x or iPhone5(pi).  I'm certain that a TON of thought and research goes into those silly automotive trim-line letters (e.g., the Honda Accord LX versus Honda Accord EX versus the Honda Accord EX-L).  So you know there was a meeting (or 5) at 1 Infinite Loop about this "s" decision.  I'm just saying I'm curious who said what about the pros and cons of that.
  • Reply 180 of 449
    tyler82 said:
    I'm predicting it will be called "iPhone 10th Anniversary"
    Prepare to be disappointed. 
    irelandpscooter63netmagecornchip