Apple invites press to Sept. 12 event at Apple Park's Steve Jobs Theater for 'iPhone 8'

Comments

• Reply 181 of 449
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,861member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    A follow up to my previous post. Huawei just let slip some information by accident.

http://www.techradar.com/news/huawei-just-accidentally-revealed-the-mate-10-chipset-early-at-ifa-2017

They are claiming the world's first mobile AI processing unit.

The official presentation isn't until tomorrow but if what is being claimed actually works on the device, they may have upped the ante a little. This makes me think Apple might also have something along those lines for their big reveal on the 12th.

Nobody cares. Even "if" they have a machine learning processor on board, how will it get used? The biggest problem with Android is device makers adding their own custom hardware that isn't actually supported by Android. So none of your Apps will properly take advantage of those features.

The rest of the 970 is generic off-the-shelf A73, A53 and Mali parts. Nothing new here, just another SoC based on ARM cores. At least Samsung and Qualcomm are now trying their hand at making their own custom cores, although they are still WAY behind Apple in this regard. The A11 should hit 4,000 single core, which makes it literally double that of the 835 or 8895. Quite amazing how far ahead Apple is. 
    If nobody cared, this site wouldn't have half as much Google and Samsung content.
    Well congrats to you for your considerable efforts to increase that content further, Your loyalties to Android OS and Android OEM's surely have been noted by your handlers.

Sad, neither you nor I are buying iPhone 8's; me because I'm more interested in waiting for next year's, and completely happy with my iPhone 7 Plus, and you because you will be unable to remain the newest contrarian on AI if you capitulate.
    I am actually in the market for an iPhone this year but it depends entirely on price. That would appear to rule out the iPhone 8 but the iPhone 7s is on my radar although it wouldn't be for me personally it would be my cash flowing into Apple Sales International. LOL.

...based on your comments, yet are constantly hawking arcane features and cost benefits of Android OEM's. One would almost think that you are avoiding speaking out on anything superior in iOS or iPhone hardware.

It's a question of balance. I don't need to sing the praises of Apple constantly here (I have a lot of Apple gear and that speaks volumes) but there is so much ignorance spurted out on Android and Android handsets that someone needs to remind people that much of it has little to do with hard fact (it's often embarrassing to read how I'll informed some people are) and Apple, in spite of what some here proclaim, has much catching up do in many areas.

People here gleefully poked fun at Samsung for the Note 7 fiasco but then tried to round it out to the Android handset market, failing to see for example, that Huawei's Supercharge technology leaves anything Apple currently has looking decidedly behind the times.

I live in both worlds and don't lap up whatever gets dumped on my plate just because it's this or that platform. 

Another topic is how Apple does business, which I do not personally like but that is a personal opinion and everybody is free to their own opinion on that subject. 
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 182 of 449
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,430member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    A follow up to my previous post. Huawei just let slip some information by accident.

http://www.techradar.com/news/huawei-just-accidentally-revealed-the-mate-10-chipset-early-at-ifa-2017

The official presentation isn't until tomorrow but if what is being claimed actually works on the device, they may have upped the ante a little. This makes me think Apple might also have something along those lines for their big reveal on the 12th.

Nobody cares. Even "if" they have a machine learning processor on board, how will it get used? The biggest problem with Android is device makers adding their own custom hardware that isn't actually supported by Android. So none of your Apps will properly take advantage of those features.

The rest of the 970 is generic off-the-shelf A73, A53 and Mali parts. Nothing new here, just another SoC based on ARM cores. At least Samsung and Qualcomm are now trying their hand at making their own custom cores, although they are still WAY behind Apple in this regard. The A11 should hit 4,000 single core, which makes it literally double that of the 835 or 8895. Quite amazing how far ahead Apple is. 
    If nobody cared, this site wouldn't have half as much Google and Samsung content.
    Well congrats to you for your considerable efforts to increase that content further, Your loyalties to Android OS and Android OEM's surely have been noted by your handlers.

Sad, neither you nor I are buying iPhone 8's; me because I'm more interested in waiting for next year's, and completely happy with my iPhone 7 Plus, and you because you will be unable to remain the newest contrarian on AI if you capitulate.
    I am actually in the market for an iPhone this year but it depends entirely on price. That would appear to rule out the iPhone 8 but the iPhone 7s is on my radar although it wouldn't be for me personally it would be my cash flowing into Apple Sales International. LOL.

...based on your comments, yet are constantly hawking arcane features and cost benefits of Android OEM's. One would almost think that you are avoiding speaking out on anything superior in iOS or iPhone hardware.

It's a question of balance. I don't need to sing the praises of Apple constantly here (I have a lot of Apple gear and that speaks volumes) but there is so much ignorance spurted out on Android and Android handsets that someone needs to remind people that much of it has little to do with hard fact (it's often embarrassing to read how I'll informed some people are) and Apple, in spite of what some here proclaim, has much catching up do in many areas.

People here gleefully poked fun at Samsung for the Note 7 fiasco but then tried to round it out to the Android handset market, failing to see for example, that Huawei's Supercharge technology leaves anything Apple currently has looking decidedly behind the times.

I live in both worlds and don't lap up whatever gets dumped on my plate just because it's this or that platform. 

Another topic is how Apple does business, which I do not personally like but that is a personal opinion and everybody is free to their own opinion on that subject. 
    I get that you are just here to correct the record and balance the "opinions", and you have confirmed that on more than this occasion, but so excited to see you state that "you have lots of Apple Gear and that speaks volumes".

Yeah, that's it.

edited September 2017 StrangeDaysronn
  • Reply 183 of 449
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I think the wait for this phone is making people crabby. 

randominternetpersonroundaboutnowmacxpresspscooter63
  • Reply 184 of 449
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,871moderator
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

You don't like how Apple does business?  I'd love to read more detail on your thoughts in that regard.  I can say I don't like some of the decisions made in the Android world, like stuffing big batteries into their phones to get decent time between charges (commonly referred to as battery life).  Why can't they do what Apple does; tightly integrate hardware and software to delivery each unit of computing power with less energy use.  Apple does this because they are sensitive to environmental issues, and I like that about the way Apple does business.  
    StrangeDaysmacseekerroundaboutnowpscooter63ronn
  • Reply 185 of 449
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

I'm curious, do you give any consideration to resale value -- total cost of ownership -- when you compare Android to iPhone potential purchases?  
    Personally, no. I'm not the kind of user who pays enough into the initial hardware outlay and don't take advantage of services etc to make TCO a big factor. 

All my old phones continue down the use chain. I mean they don't go in for recycling after passing through my hands. My iPhone 4 is still plugged into my NAD Viso as a controller. My older Huawei's are still in use within the family.

My current phone cost 249€. It's coming up for two years now. Battery still gives me a day's use, it's still plenty fast. No noticeable slowdown. All my apps are current. The only thing of note is that it's still on Android 6. Not something that bothers me too much with my use.

I'm on the lookout to upgrade this phone but there is no big rush.

For iOS devices, two are running 10.3.3 and the rest are on older systems.
    edited September 2017 radarthekat
  • Reply 186 of 449
    Take it easy everyone. The is going to be fun lets all smile for a while shake some hands call it a day new devices on the way!
    radarthekat
  • Reply 187 of 449
    Take it easy everyone. The is going to be fun lets all smile for a while shake some hands call it a day new devices on the way!
    Let's hug it out.
    boogerman2000pscooter63
  • Reply 188 of 449
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,096member
    mattinoz said:
    Soli said:
    So by holding it in the Steve Jobs theater they’re either not inviting many in the media or not many employees will be attending. 
    Doesn’t it seat 1,000?
    Exactly 1000 or is that just a number that was thrown around so long ago that Steve Jobs was still alive? It's been long enough that things could change. Even seats that are a little wider or more narrow, or rows a little closer or further apart could easily affect that number if nothing else has changed.
    Exactly number was probably 1024 with all seats in banks of 8 but a few have been lost along the way.
    Good lord, that's brilliant. If they somehow put this concept the design or decor for realz, it would be. so. awesome. 
  • Reply 189 of 449
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

Let me know when AI does an article on Kirin processors.
    The point wasn't Kirin. It was AI and if Apple might be ready to announce something similar in the next iPhone.

If we really have reached a point where dedicated AI units are becoming a reality in the handset world I would like to think that Apple might have a surprise for us come September 12th.

Don't you remember the rumour that they were working on some kind of neural network chip or something?

And don't forget that Huawei will have to back up any claims in the real world. That said, the fact they are promoting it as the world's first dedicated mobile AI chip is news and is relative to.the entire industry - Apple included.
  • Reply 190 of 449
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,903member
    And then there are companies like this who advertise their services to companies and individuals who want to reduce their exposure to RF radiation.  http://www.emfrf.com/
    This website sells all sorts of shielding material including fine metl mesh that can be applied to walls underneath paint, drywall or plaster creating an invisible barrier.  

• Reply 191 of 449
    mobirdmobird Posts: 756member
    Soli said:
    This will be landmark event for many reasons, one of which I hope will make this the most remembered event since the original 2007 introduction of the iPhone*.

Won't be with out Steve Jobs. Tim Cook is no where close to what Steve could do with an audience...
    tallest skilrandominternetperson
  • Reply 192 of 449
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

I get that you are just here to correct the record and balance the "opinions", and you have confirmed that on more than this occasion, but so excited to see you state that "you have lots of Apple Gear and that speaks volumes".

Yeah, that's it.

Of course it does. Do you think I have accumulated this stuff because I hate it?

I don't even post in the vast majority of threads. I let them go. I'm not some kind of policeman but when people go blatantly out of their way to post absurd, often false statements, I sometimes chime in with a different viewpoint. It is often backed up with links, quotes etc.

And my viewpoint isn't aimed at ridiculing anyone, getting stroppy or generally being a fool. Just a bit of balance. And I'm definitely not some kind of Captain Android. ;-)

randominternetperson
  • Reply 193 of 449
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,383member
    sog35 said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

Yeah, that's it.

Of course it does. Do you think I have accumulated this stuff because I hate it?

I don't even post in the vast majority of threads. I let them go. I'm not some kind of policeman but when people go blatantly out of their way to post absurd, often false statements, I sometimes chime in with a different viewpoint. It is often backed up with links, quotes etc.

And my viewpoint isn't aimed at ridiculing anyone, getting stroppy or generally being a fool. Just a bit of balance. And I'm definitely not some kind of Captain Android. ;-)

Balance my ass.

You only post negative shit about Apple, and fawn like a school girl about some cheap piece of shit copy cat China phone.

Just stop with the 'I own alot of Apple gear.'  Bull.  why haven't I seen you post even ONE good thing about Apple products in the last year?

Because they think you are some type of double agent Android spy that's why. 

You don't fool me at all.  
    LOL. "Double-agent Android spy"... Spying on AI.  :)
    randominternetpersonronnuniscape
  • Reply 194 of 449
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

Yeah, that's it.

Balance my ass.

You only post negative shit about Apple, and fawn like a school girl about some cheap piece of shit copy cat China phone.

Just stop with the 'I own alot of Apple gear.'  Bull.  why haven't I seen you post even ONE good thing about Apple products in the last year?

Because they think you are some type of double agent Android spy that's why. 

You don't fool me at all.  
    LOL. "Double-agent Android spy"... Spying on AI.  :)
    Gosh! He's outed me!

Here's a quote from me, yesterday I think it was:

"I love my Mini. The Mini rocks!"

Sog, Hope your world didn't just collapse!
  • Reply 195 of 449
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

I'm curious, do you give any consideration to resale value -- total cost of ownership -- when you compare Android to iPhone potential purchases?  
    Y'know, I sometimes start to consider resale value when evaluating the cost of an Apple device, then realize that it's irrelevant to me. I use Macs until they die (sometimes as hand-me-downs) and I have a shelf full of old cell phones that no one wants anymore because they're too old. If I buy a new iPhone this year, I can't imagine there being much demand for my existing 6+, any more than there was for my 4 when I bought the 6.

Resale value isn't really a consideration unless one upgrades frequently.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 196 of 449
    iPhone SE - 32 GB - $399, 128 GB - $499

iPhone 7 - 32 GB - $549, 128 GB - $649

iPhone 7 Plus - 32 GB - $669, 128 GB - $769

iPhone 8 - 32 GB - $649, 128 GB - $749, 256 GB - $849

iPhone 8 Plus - 32 GB - $769, 128 GB - $869, 256 GB - $969

iPhone Edition - 64 GB - $999, 256 GB - $1,099, 512 GB - $1,299

edited September 2017
  • Reply 197 of 449
    avon b7 said:
    I'd opt for 'iPhone X' or 'Apple Phone X'.
    "SEGA 32X"
    cornchip
  • Reply 198 of 449
    avon b7 said:
    I'd opt for 'iPhone X' or 'Apple Phone X'.

Now that Apple has OS X behind them, I doubt they will name another product with a (problematic) Roman numeral X any time soon.  "Is it pronounced 'OS ecks' or 'OS 'ten'?"

It literally does not matter. Either way, people knew what you were talking about.
  • Reply 199 of 449

macxpress said:

mike54 said:
    ... one more thing... Mac Mini !     ...please?
    Mac mini???? Bahahahahahaha! Who gives a shit about the Mac mini? Any new Mac mini is going to be the same as what's available today, only with faster processors and the latest Intel graphics. I wouldn't get your hopes up on anything more. 
    First, LOTS of people give a shit about the Mac mini. "Lots' obviously being a relative term in comparison to the iPhone, but enough that it keeps coming up. I can't imagine what you find funny about that, nor why you would feel inclined to insult what others wish for.

Second, a wish list for the mini could include Thunderbolt 3 on USB-C connectors to provide consistency with the new notebooks, a return to quad-core processors, and native hardware acceleration for h.265.

Third, what would be wrong with just a CPU and GPU upgrade? I might pull the trigger based on that alone.
    roundaboutnowrandominternetpersonnetmage
  • Reply 200 of 449
    iPhone SE - 32 GB - $399, 128 GB - $499

iPhone 7 - 32 GB - $549, 128 GB - $649

iPhone 7 Plus - 32 GB - $669, 128 GB - $769

iPhone 8 - 32 GB - $649, 128 GB - $749, 256 GB - $849

iPhone 8 Plus - 32 GB - $769, 128 GB - $869, 256 GB - $969

iPhone Edition - 64 GB - $999, 256 GB - $1,099, 512 GB - $1,299

Don't forget the super-secret exclusive versions expected:
    iPhone Eddie Bauer Edition
    iPhone U2 Edition 13th Anniversary Edition
    iPhone IBM Watson Edition (in blue) (playing off the "success" of the HP iPod.

"This is our most complete, complex, and confusing line up of iPhone products ever!  Thanks for coming everyone!"

rogifan_newireland