Apple debuts $999 iPhone X with OLED Super Retina Display & Face ID authentication

Comments

• Reply 261 of 352
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,325member
    Rayz2016 said:
    I was concerned that it wouldn't be as reliable as TouchID, and Craig's demo didn't do anything to help with that. 
    I would guess that they already know it will be more reliable than Touch ID. Touch ID can get thrown off just by your skin being dry. 
    Or wet.
  • Reply 262 of 352
    Well, I have had every iPhone up until now.  Unless AT&T kicks in a nice trade in like they did last year, we are going to bow out.  Price not worth the features.  I think all these tech companies are going to drive the consumer away.  Yes face ID is nice, but 1:50,000 for touch ID is safe enough for me.  What on this phone is a necessity that a current phone doesn't already do?  Is it sinking in yet to anybody else that the cost benefit analysis is dwindling?  When is cool not enough.....I think we are at the doorstep to that.
    And somehow, they will still sell tens of millions of the phones despite you bowing out. There are now 8 iPhones in the line now. Pick what works for you.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 263 of 352
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,077member

Is the OLED screen on the iPhone which comes from Samsung a Pentile screen.

For years there were comments on this forum that LCD was better then the OLED Pentile screens and better than the higher definition screens on Android phones.  

• Reply 264 of 352
    melgross said:

eightzero said:
    It's cool. I can't afford one. Will need to wait. 

I'm guessing the FaceID will be popular with law enforcement. Maybe that's a feature and not a bug.
    Were you listening to the presentation? You need to have your eyes open for it to work. They can’t force you to do that. Besides, I just can’t understand what it is that some people are so concerned about with that. What are you planning to do that this would be a problem? Should we be reporting you to the FBI?
    This is potentially non-trivial when you're crossing borders and you're a business traveler. If customs or immigration forces you to unlock it, they can view anything, including your emails, texts, phone call logs, etc., and there may be confidential company material, secrets, plans, IP, etc. With TouchID you can just avoid setting it up, and say that you forgot your password (or some such thing).
    So, just don't set up Face ID either.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 265 of 352
    I didn't notice but was the size of iPhone X compared to iPhone 8 and 8+? I know they mentioned 5.8" screen but how tall and wide is it?

iPhone X Height 5.65 inches (143.6 mm) Width 2.79 inches (70.9 mm) Depth 0.30 inch (7.7 mm) Weight 6.14 ounces (174 grams)

iPhone 8 Plus Height 6.24 inches (158.4 mm) Width 3.07 inches (78.1 mm) Depth 0.30 inch (7.5 mm) Weight 7.13 ounces (202 grams)

iPhone 8 Height 5.45 inches (138.4 mm) Width 2.65 inches (67.3 mm) Depth 0.29 inch (7.3 mm) Weight 5.22 ounces (148 grams)

• Reply 266 of 352
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,863member
    k2kw said:
    So Engadget says the notch doesn’t bother them but then complains about the very thin bezel that goes all around the screen. Hey Engadget, newsflash, the S8 has this too but because the screen is curved at the edges you don’t notice it. LG has it, so does Xiaomi. In fact the only phone that doesn’t appear to have a thin bezel at the edge is the Essential phone which nobody in their right mind would buy because who knows how long it will exist or be supported. 

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/12/apple-iphone-x-hands-on/

Are people seriously not going to buy this phone because of the very thin bezel around the edge? Good grief.

That's a pity about the essential because i do like it's looks/design.   Android definately needs a competitor on the high end against Samsung.  It sounds like a good Freshman try but they need to get a better camera and waterproofing to compete.

16th October, Munich!

"Woe to you, oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath,
    Because he knows the time is short...
    Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
    For it is a human number,
    Its number is 10."

That's not a Roman Numeral ;-)

Or to put it another way and straight from the horse's mouth: "Beyond the Galaxy"

If you were to believe the rumours, or near on hysteria, this release is creating, it will stomp all over the Note 8.

It will probably​ be a huge let down now that expectations are so high but in spite of all that, I'm pretty sure it's going to be a great rival to Samsung and even Apple even if it doesn't live up to the imaginations of some:

• Reply 267 of 352
    sog35 said:
    airnerd said:
    iPhone 8 and X both get a giant MEH from this fanboy. 

My screen on my 6 is still pretty amazing.  I don't have an issue with using my fingerprint to unlock.  It still runs plenty fast.  The camera takes amazing photos of my kid.

So what does the 8 or X get me?  The ability to play AR games and not much else.  Not going to force me to upgrade with that.  Apple has run out of innovations, but so has everyone.  I just expect more from Apple.  Now the S3 watch, that I'll buy.  LTE on my wrist and no phone needed nearby?  Shut up and take my money!
    If you are satisfied with the 6, there is nothing wrong with that.

But for me I want the BEST. I want the CUTTING EDGE.  I want the Ferrari of phones.

I keep my phones for at least 2 years.  So $999 to get the best phone on PLANET EARTH is no problem.  After trade in I'm paying less than a $1 a day to have the privledge of owning the most amazing phone on the planet.
    But when you realise it's still just a phone, the price will come into focus for many.

Not that I'm against it in this case.

If you think the phone is worthy of the price tag and you can afford it, great, but my guess is that demand will be spread out all along the line and the X will be a status thing for a much smaller group of users.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 268 of 352
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    lkrupp said:
    The negative posts about the iPhone X, Face ID, the NOTCH are hilarious. Hilarious because of the fact that this sort of thing happens every damn year like clockwork. Every year we are treated to this cacophony of negativity and disappointment. Every year there are protestations and solemn vows to pass up this year's model. Every year we have to sit back and read about Apple's failure. Then it all quiets down, the new releases sell vigorously, and those who screamed to loudest wind up buying anyway. It's a broken record. But it points out how disconnected people who think of themselves as techies are from the real world and who Apple's customers actually are. And what's the response from techies when Apple's 'failures' go on to wild success? The only thing they can come up with that strokes their egos is, "People are stupid."

So okay, you have your opinions but don't go thinking your opinion matters to Apple or its customers. Don't go thinking your opinion will influence the design of the NOTCH. Apple knows who and what you are and they have endured you for forty years now. 
    Pretty much.  Compared with all other smartphone vendors, Apple seems the most focused on what the larger, broader market want:
    - ease-of-use above all else
    - great (colour accurate) photos, video,
    - fun stuff like Live Photos, this Animoji, iMessage stickers & apps
    - reliability
    - waterproofing
    - increasing battery life (*acknowledge that this is an area that continues to need improvement as people increase their phone usage with the great new features)

Apple also provides the highest security and privacy, although at this point in time, this is not valued (although I think it will be at some point in the future when people realize just how threatened those items are on different platforms, and with some of their favourite apps)

My wife is as far from a techie as you can get, and she would love to have the iPhone X.  Why?  FaceID, animoji, front facing camera, better rear facing camera.

Smartphone vendors which build to - and target with their ads - techie features like RAM/CPU/storage, customizable, expandable, whiz-bang-first - are selling to a smaller audience at the high end.  At the lower end, the focus is price (so techie features are irrelevant).
    williamlondon
  • Reply 269 of 352
    sog35 said:
    avon b7 said:
    I like the notch. It makes a break with styling. Android phones have been there too with similiar negative opinions from some but I like this design over say, the Sharp screen with corners cut off.

You'll have to ask me in a couple of years if I still like it, though.

From the photos I don't like the bezel. Seems like it's wearing a bumper case but built in but as that's likely a photo problem, I'll reserve final judgment until I hold one in my hand.

I’d love to know why Apple decided to embrace the notch. Was there no seamless way to hide it without it looking like a hack? Now that they’ve gone OLED I’m surprised we didn’t get dark mode which might have helped hide it.
    I love the notch.

Makes the X very unique 

The truth is for most photo's, video's, and Apps - the top or side of the image does not have much important information.
    Would you watch a movie in a theater with a dent at the left side of the screen?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 270 of 352
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    freerange said:
    bill42 said:
    sflocal said:
    I'm not a fan of any facial-recognition to unlock/control a phone.  I ride a motorcycle every day and I'm curious how it will work while I'm still wearing my helmet.  For 
    For non-visor, probably not an issue. For a visor style, that's a bit more iffy. Depends on what percentage of the face needs to still be visible to work. They did show people wearing hats, glasses, and scarves etc., so I suppose there's a chance that you could raise the visor and still get it to work. 
    I was thinking the same, but I can never open my iPhone with my gloves anyway. So if I have to stop anyway to take a glove off, I might as well type in my code.
    bill42 said:
    sflocal said:
    I'm not a fan of any facial-recognition to unlock/control a phone.  I ride a motorcycle every day and I'm curious how it will work while I'm still wearing my helmet.  For 
    For non-visor, probably not an issue. For a visor style, that's a bit more iffy. Depends on what percentage of the face needs to still be visible to work. They did show people wearing hats, glasses, and scarves etc., so I suppose there's a chance that you could raise the visor and still get it to work. 
    I was thinking the same, but I can never open my iPhone with my gloves anyway. So if I have to stop anyway to take a glove off, I might as well type in my code.
    Motorcycle riding is dangerous enough with 80%+ of accidents caused by the other driver. So what kind of moron tries to unlock and use their phone while riding a motorcycle? Automatic jail time should be required.
    My son and many of his friends use helmet comms to take calls, get directions via voice, that type of thing. Yeah they use their phones while riding, and it's common. 
    Well your son and his friends are idiots. No one should be unlocking their phones when they are riding/driving. That's just dumb.

You don't have to unlock the phone to take or make a call (unless things have changed).  I do both all the time.  Many GPS apps (including Waze, MapQuest and Google Maps, from my own experience, and probably Apple Maps as well, though I haven't tried it) have an option to keep the phone unlocked while the app is in the foreground, so no need to unlock there either.
    brucemc
  • Reply 271 of 352
    avon b7 said:
    sog35 said:
    airnerd said:

My screen on my 6 is still pretty amazing.  I don't have an issue with using my fingerprint to unlock.  It still runs plenty fast.  The camera takes amazing photos of my kid.

So what does the 8 or X get me?  The ability to play AR games and not much else.  Not going to force me to upgrade with that.  Apple has run out of innovations, but so has everyone.  I just expect more from Apple.  Now the S3 watch, that I'll buy.  LTE on my wrist and no phone needed nearby?  Shut up and take my money!

But for me I want the BEST. I want the CUTTING EDGE.  I want the Ferrari of phones.

I keep my phones for at least 2 years.  So $999 to get the best phone on PLANET EARTH is no problem.  After trade in I'm paying less than a $1 a day to have the privledge of owning the most amazing phone on the planet.
    But when you realise it's still just a phone, the price will come into focus for many.

If you think the phone is worthy of the price tag and you can afford it, great, but my guess is that demand will be spread out all along the line and the X will be a status thing for a much smaller group of users.
    Nope, bogus premise -- it's not "just a phone". Were that true we'd still be using flip phones. it's a computer. in your pocket. 

edited September 2017 williamlondon
  • Reply 272 of 352
    sog35 said:
    avon b7 said:
    sog35 said:
    airnerd said:

But it isn't just a phone.

Smartphones are essential to modern life.  I'd argue that smartphones are the most important product a person owns besides their car and home.  And many argue its even more important than those two.

The difference between owing the ELITE PHONE on the planet and a so-so phone is literally just pennies a day.  

IMO, the X will have massive demand and sell out almost instantly around the world.

Apple has raised the bar AGAIN. They have made the LUXURY phone mainstream.  

IN the next couple years we will be seeing larger iPhones selling for $1200-$1500 easy.  Which is a great thing.  I hate the race to the bottom most smartphone makers engage in.  I want QUALITY.  And I want the BEST.
    Go buy a Vertu. Oh, it is even antique now. That would make you absolutely more ELITE.
  • Reply 273 of 352

airnerd said:
    sog35 said:
    airnerd said:

Going into the conference yesterday I was thinking the same.  I typically get every third iteration of iphone (3G to 4S to 6) so this was the one I was going to get.  But my 3G and 4S were both limping along.  My 6 is still going strong so there aren't any features I'm dying for.  

So I completely get where you are coming from and am usually in the same spot.  the cost isn't the issue for me because I'll keep it for 3 years again, just was hoping Apple would amaze me like they do every few years.  Just not feeling this one, but the phone does look very nice.  
    I have also been a 3-year upgrader.  Last year I upgraded to the 7.  Coming from the 5s, it was a considerable improvement and I was very happy with the purchase.  Every aspect of the phone was better (screen, battery life, camera, speed, waterproofing, sound, 3DTouch, super fast TouchID).  

Despite the focus of the tech media, Apple really isn't targeting features that get majority to upgrade every year, but rather it is the cumulative 2-3 years effects that stand out.  I recommend you sit down sometime and add up the improvements introduced in the 6s, 7, and now 8 series (I am not even including the iPhone X in this discussion).  The cumulative result is pretty impressive - though it always depends on each persons use.

In the end, provided that you stay under the Apple umbrella, they are quite happy if you upgrade next year to the iPhone 9 (or whatever they call it after screwing with the numbers this year:)
    williamlondon
  • Reply 274 of 352
    ben20ben20 Posts: 126member
    I didn't notice but was the size of iPhone X compared to iPhone 8 and 8+? I know they mentioned 5.8" screen but how tall and wide is it?

iPhone X Height 5.65 inches (143.6 mm) Width 2.79 inches (70.9 mm) Depth 0.30 inch (7.7 mm) Weight 6.14 ounces (174 grams)

iPhone 8 Plus Height 6.24 inches (158.4 mm) Width 3.07 inches (78.1 mm) Depth 0.30 inch (7.5 mm) Weight 7.13 ounces (202 grams)

iPhone 8 Height 5.45 inches (138.4 mm) Width 2.65 inches (67.3 mm) Depth 0.29 inch (7.3 mm) Weight 5.22 ounces (148 grams)

I like the fact the the X is substantially smaller than the 8plus. Can't wait to see the difference!
  • Reply 275 of 352
    brucemc said:

airnerd said:
    sog35 said:
    airnerd said:

Going into the conference yesterday I was thinking the same.  I typically get every third iteration of iphone (3G to 4S to 6) so this was the one I was going to get.  But my 3G and 4S were both limping along.  My 6 is still going strong so there aren't any features I'm dying for.  

So I completely get where you are coming from and am usually in the same spot.  the cost isn't the issue for me because I'll keep it for 3 years again, just was hoping Apple would amaze me like they do every few years.  Just not feeling this one, but the phone does look very nice.  
    I have also been a 3-year upgrader.  Last year I upgraded to the 7.  Coming from the 5s, it was a considerable improvement and I was very happy with the purchase.  Every aspect of the phone was better (screen, battery life, camera, speed, waterproofing, sound, 3DTouch, super fast TouchID).  

Despite the focus of the tech media, Apple really isn't targeting features that get majority to upgrade every year, but rather it is the cumulative 2-3 years effects that stand out.  I recommend you sit down sometime and add up the improvements introduced in the 6s, 7, and now 8 series (I am not even including the iPhone X in this discussion).  The cumulative result is pretty impressive - though it always depends on each persons use.

In the end, provided that you stay under the Apple umbrella, they are quite happy if you upgrade next year to the iPhone 9 (or whatever they call it after screwing with the numbers this year:)
    And that's where I'm at this year, currently sporting a still very good 6+, lots of advances in past 3 years that do add up. People still expect the same number of advances year to year, but that's simply not possible, the tech and market have matured too much, no one *needs* a new phone every year, great if you can afford it, but the devices are simply lasting much longer, just as personal computers went through, exactly the same thing here. I could easily go another year or two, perhaps even three, but I'd like to stay more current with the tech, that's something I'm willing to pay for and 3 years seems a good (basic) amount of time with these devices these days.
  • Reply 276 of 352
    avon b7 said:
    sog35 said:
    airnerd said:

Nope, bogus premise -- it's not "just a phone". Were that true we'd still be using flip phones. it's a computer. in your pocket. 
    This line of reasoning: it is just a phone; low end phones are good enough; there is no whiz-bang feature that rivals the introduction of the modern smartphone itself 10 years ago - fails to understand the market.

The smartphone is the most used device for hundreds of millions, if not billions, of people every day.  It is their most important device.  It trumps a traditional PC computer for many, and more hundreds of millions it is their only computer.  Certain segments of the market are on their smartphone for "hours and hours" a day.  It is their communicator, camera, video camera, key part of social interaction, music, video/TV, work device and even (for a minority) their "phone".

For people with the means, they tend to want & value "the best" for this most used of devices.  Given the hours a month they are on it (hundreds), it can be value well spent.

My teenage kids always put a new iPhone at the top of their wish lists (they almost never get them, but that is another story).  My son had his first job this summer, and what did he spend some of his first money on - a new Product Red iPhone 7 (were already discounted ahead of the new models coming out).  And yes, for him, it is money well spent.  
    StrangeDaysfastasleep
  • Reply 277 of 352
    avon b7 said:
    sog35 said:
    airnerd said:

Would you prefer I used 'smart' before every instance of phone?

I think it's clear I mean 'smart' and not 'feature' but as you wish.

Is there something the X has that other smartphones are not?

I don't mean how they do it but what they do.

You know, something that screams I must have that feature and the only way I'll get it is on the X?
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 278 of 352
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    avon b7 said:
    sog35 said:
    airnerd said:

Yeah, this gets said every year, and every year Apple goes on to sell a boatload. 

The reason s very simple: no one has to lay out all the money for a phone in one go. Not just an iPhone, any phone.  The phone comes with contract, which is why it has enjoyed modestly buoyant sales from its first release, even when folk, like yourself, insisted it was too expensive to buy. 

Personally, I think the FaceID may be a possible sticking point for some, but I said the same hing about TouchID so…

Still, they didn't put TouchID on the back, so I think we all dodged a bullet there. 
  • Reply 279 of 352
    sog35 said:
    Well your son and his friends are idiots. No one should be unlocking their phones when they are riding/driving. That's just dumb.

I have my phone paired up with my bikes audio system (radio, mp3 player etc) just like a car... The phone usually sits in the pocket of my jacket so unlocking it to make a call needs me to stop the bike.
    If a call comes in, I can answer it by pressing a button on the left handdlebar controls. Just like hands free in a car.
    The phone uses BT to talk to my Helmet audio system (speakers and microphone.)

There really is no difference to Hands free in a Car.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 280 of 352
    At $650 this would have been a killer phone. At $1150 (bc who wants to spend $999 to get a 64GB phone) it's a bit absurd.

Add a case for $50 and 7% tax and Apple care and it's a $1400 phone!!!!!!!!!