Editorial: Who will buy iPhone 8?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    You're all wrong.  The feature for most of us that's most important is storage space. 64GB is barely enough now-a-days so you're forced to buy the 256GB version as there is nothing in between.  $849 for that.  OR  do what I'll do.  I'm trading in my 5s for a iPhone 7.  It is still fast, still has a great camera, still has most of the same features but missing wireless charging which is of dubious value, and I'll get the 128GB version for $648 and save $200. 

In another quarter, I think we'll see the iPhone 8 be a under performer and the 7 remain strong as people do that math and say no to a $849 iPhone. 
    Your comment helped me to consider the 7 Plus among alternatives. My decision stands centered on the 8 Plus, I cannot pass on the 8 series easily. 8 represents a platform jump thanks to A11, and it will not be an under performer as soon as next year. And afterwards, it will continue to occupy the position where you see the 7 now. Consider fairly four years for a 8, thanks to the platform jump brought by the A11, just like your 5s which is also a platform jump to 64-bit. You may not keep the 7 so long, so for $200 I wouldn't pass on such a durability.
    Yes, marketing wise, that jump from 64Gb to 256Gb (which created a $200 jump rather than the standard $100 increment) was strange!   I am sure that Apple had solid reasons for it.   But for those who need a bit more than 64Gb the $200 leap to 256Gb could be a tough pill to swallow.
  • Reply 42 of 73

I don't remember ever hearing Samsung reviews declare the Galaxy S7 or S8 as "obsolete!" due to the availability of the more expensive S7 or S8 Edge. Nobody feigned confusion at the wider array of options, nor did the New York Times write up a story listing things you could buy if you didn't pay extra for the Edge. That's a pretty stark example of hypocrisy and, well, phoniness of all the concerned handwringing that is so often exclusively applied to Apple.
    There is no S8 Edge
  • Reply 43 of 73
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    Nobody cares for these tech reviewers i don't think they have any impact on the market. That guy from the verge was still complaining about the headphone jack. He also stated that anyone will agree that an Galaxy S8 looks better than the iPhone 8. Well i think the iPhone looks way better then the Galaxy S8. The proportion of that phone just don't seem right.

By the way: People are still buying the iPhone 6 in large amounts because they love that phone.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 73
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I'm buying the 8. Not sold on Face ID yet. Plus that's $1000. 

As for the shallow tech reviewers, it's click bait. Design is not just the outside case/skin. It's the whole package. 

Sure Apple could release gimmick designs like Sammy, but is it just change for change's sake? What's the point. Everything has a purpose. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 73
    I think what’s in question is not the evaluation of the iPhone, but it seems that the 8 is an odd place.  The folks, like me, who like to have the newest tech are going to the X.  The more cost-conscious folks will likely look at the 7 vs. The 8 and choose the 7.  The 7 is plenty fast for today’s applications, and the camera is pretty close to the 8.  Wireless charging is nice, but I can’t see that as being a significant enough driver to push from the 7 to the 8.

I don’t know why the 6s is still around.  Its camera is not as good, its processor is outdated, and it’s not much cheaper than the 7.

I suspect that the 7, at the lower price, will sell as much as the 8.
  • Reply 46 of 73
    asdasd said:
    My upgrade from the 6 to the 8 will be an amazing increase in functionality. I must try and work out exactly what I am getting ( a cpu and gpu that are miles ahead). 
    Exactly.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 73
    tshapi said:
    sog35 said:
    tshapi said:
    When it comes to the newest I gadget . Mainly iPhones. Apple uses a scarcity marketing tactic.   Now, with even more pipeline constraint.  I almost gaurantee you, when the iPhone x comes out next month it's going to have at least an 8 week ship time or longer, and everyone is going to scream how popular it must be.  

I try to deem if an Apple item is popular buy how many people I see using one.   Most Apple products are popular, ie Air pods are popular. I see a lot of people using them.  My point is, I don't go just off #s on Apples website and such. 
    Apple has sold almost 700,000,000 iPhones the last 3 years.

This isn't a marketing tactic.

iPhone demand is MASSIVE.  They will sell close to 80,000,000 iPhones in the holiday quarter. Do you realize how many phones that is?

Marketing tactic?  MY ASS.
    Every year the rumor sites all Chime in about how many iPhones Apple supposedly sold in its opening pre-order weekend, even last year when Apple stated they no longer gave #s this year there's nothing not even an article.  I almost gaurantee you there will be articles and#s when iphone x comes out. Yes I realize how big a # 170000000 is. When I say scarcity marketing.  I'm really just talking the opening weekend or month alone. After that Apple "catches up" on demand. Apple has sold 170,000,000
    iphonea each year for the last several years. 

its like other people said, do you really think by now that Apple doesn't know it's #s and won't make enough iPhones ahead of time to satiate demand?  I am sure they do make enough iPhones to satisfy demand based off the previous sales.  If there was no iPhone x I gaurantee you the ship time would make the iPhones look sold out and scarce so everyone would think they are popular. 
    No, this is tinfoil hat conspiracy nonsense. The devices dont fall off trees, they have to be produced then assembled by hand. In order to meet Day 1 sales they'd have to tool and bring online a lot of line equipment, only to not need them after the initial rush. That wouldnt make sense. Better to produce as many as you can and not over-invest in manufacturing lines. 

To pretend they initially choose not to produce devices, so they can not-sell them, in order to amp up demand in order to sell them *later* just doesnt make any sense. We hear this nonsense every single year. You simply dont understand manufacturing and real world constraints. It's all just fantasy playland for you. 
    PickUrPoisonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 73
    You're all wrong.  The feature for most of us that's most important is storage space. 64GB is barely enough now-a-days so you're forced to buy the 256GB version as there is nothing in between.  $849 for that.  OR  do what I'll do.  I'm trading in my 5s for a iPhone 7.  It is still fast, still has a great camera, still has most of the same features but missing wireless charging which is of dubious value, and I'll get the 128GB version for $648 and save $200. 

In another quarter, I think we'll see the iPhone 8 be a under performer and the 7 remain strong as people do that math and say no to a $849 iPhone. 
    Your comment helped me to consider the 7 Plus among alternatives. My decision stands centered on the 8 Plus, I cannot pass on the 8 series easily. 8 represents a platform jump thanks to A11, and it will not be an under performer as soon as next year. And afterwards, it will continue to occupy the position where you see the 7 now. Consider fairly four years for a 8, thanks to the platform jump brought by the A11, just like your 5s which is also a platform jump to 64-bit. You may not keep the 7 so long, so for $200 I wouldn't pass on such a durability.
    Yes, marketing wise, that jump from 64Gb to 256Gb (which created a $200 jump rather than the standard $100 increment) was strange!   I am sure that Apple had solid reasons for it.   But for those who need a bit more than 64Gb the $200 leap to 256Gb could be a tough pill to swallow.
    For the 8 and X it's a $150 increase. Considering in models past you went from low-end (16) to medium (32, a doubled increase) to high-end capacity (64, another double) and paid +$100 for the middle or +$200 for the top, then the shift to a medium starting point (64gb) and then a quadruple increase (256) for only $150 more is a better deal than what's been offered before. In all respects, better.
    PickUrPoisonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 73
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    As someone who recently bought a 7+,  I've no interest in the 8+.  The X yes but I probably wont buy this years model of the new design. Maybe next year
    baconstang
  • Reply 50 of 73
    2) This is not a matter of size, this is a matter of functionality. The removal of the single click Home button compromises functionality. Swipe gesture is not the same as tap or click. No one has dared to do that Home gesture single handedly in hands-on videos.
    You mean, no one has dared to do the single-handed Home gesture... except for Apple, 45 seconds into their own iPhone X demo video. 

And again, 10 seconds later.

I mean, it's like you're not even trying....
    dsdmacpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 73
    therfman said:
    I think what’s in question is not the evaluation of the iPhone, but it seems that the 8 is an odd place.  The folks, like me, who like to have the newest tech are going to the X.  The more cost-conscious folks will likely look at the 7 vs. The 8 and choose the 7.  The 7 is plenty fast for today’s applications, and the camera is pretty close to the 8.  Wireless charging is nice, but I can’t see that as being a significant enough driver to push from the 7 to the 8.

I don’t know why the 6s is still around.  Its camera is not as good, its processor is outdated, and it’s not much cheaper than the 7.

I suspect that the 7, at the lower price, will sell as much as the 8.
    I suspect that as AR takes off the advantages of the 8 will become more apparent.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 73

For the 8 and X it's a $150 increase. Considering in models past you went from low-end (16) to medium (32, a doubled increase) to high-end capacity (64, another double) and paid +$100 for the middle or +$200 for the top, then the shift to a medium starting point (64gb) and then a quadruple increase (256) for only $150 more is a better deal than what's been offered before. In all respects, better.
    Good point:   I got my $200 figure by comparing the 128Gb iPhone 7 at $649 to the 256Gb iPhone 8 at $849 -- since the the 64Gb version was too small to be used.  My bad.  But, on a practical basis, the comparison and the point holds:   for many there will be a $200 jump to get to an 8 that they can use.
  • Reply 53 of 73
    dougd said:
    As someone who recently bought a 7+,  I've no interest in the 8+.  The X yes but I probably wont buy this years model of the new design. Maybe next year
    Actually, rather than go to an 8+ many will go to the X:  Essentially:   it has the external frame size of the 8 with the screen size of the 8+.   (Plus the beauty of the OLED screen.) 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 73

I don't remember ever hearing Samsung reviews declare the Galaxy S7 or S8 as "obsolete!" due to the availability of the more expensive S7 or S8 Edge. Nobody feigned confusion at the wider array of options, nor did the New York Times write up a story listing things you could buy if you didn't pay extra for the Edge. That's a pretty stark example of hypocrisy and, well, phoniness of all the concerned handwringing that is so often exclusively applied to Apple.
    There is no S8 Edge
    That's right, Samsung gave up on the Edge gimmick to launch a new, only larger model called the S8+.

That says something about how useful the Edge actually was, and also how much Samsung really wants to be and look exactly like Apple as possible.

donth8GeorgeBMacbaconstangtallest skilwatto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 73
    Who will buy the iPhone 8?

Of course existing iPhone users will buy it at first place.

iPhone 8 and 8 Plus are single-hand devices. iPhone X requires both hands and it lacks Reachability. The use of both hands is default in Android world. So Android switchers will buy the X (if they can afford the price) and existing iPhone users will buy the 8 series.
    The X requires two hands in what way? I’ve never used reachability on my 7 other than when I invoked it by accident.
    Not questioning the single-handed use or not - But I use it every day - lots of time... It's such a comfort feature most people don't understand... but once you try it - it's really nice!!!
  • Reply 56 of 73
    Thought I'd be buying an iPhone 8 but am drawn to the technologies in iPhone X. Since I've held onto my iPhone 5 this long, what's another year for facial recognition at a lower price? I have saved money with a phone that continues to work and will adopt the strategy of making a big technological leap every 4-5 years instead of every other year. 
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 73

There is no S8 Edge
    That's right, Samsung gave up on the Edge gimmick to launch a new, only larger model called the S8+.

That says something about how useful the Edge actually was, and also how much Samsung really wants to be and look exactly like Apple as possible.

No, that's not what happened. There was a smaller S7 and a larger S7 Edge. Now there's a smaller S8 and larger S8+, both with the curved screen so there's no longer a need to differentiate one with the term Edge
  • Reply 58 of 73
    GBannis said:
    Thought I'd be buying an iPhone 8 but am drawn to the technologies in iPhone X. Since I've held onto my iPhone 5 this long, what's another year for facial recognition at a lower price? I have saved money with a phone that continues to work and will adopt the strategy of making a big technological leap every 4-5 years instead of every other year. 
    What technologies does the X have that the 8 doesn't?

To me the biggest advantage is: 
    -  Having an 8+ screen in an 8 body.
    -  Having that gorgeous OLED screen.

That's not to minimize -- but...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 73
    hmlongco said:
    2) This is not a matter of size, this is a matter of functionality. The removal of the single click Home button compromises functionality. Swipe gesture is not the same as tap or click. No one has dared to do that Home gesture single handedly in hands-on videos.
    You mean, no one has dared to do the single-handed Home gesture... except for Apple, 45 seconds into their own iPhone X demo video. 

And again, 10 seconds later.

I mean, it's like you're not even trying....
    I marked your comment as informative ;-)

But so what? If you hold the phone close to the Home indicator of course you can swipe it. Would you slide the phone up and down up and down all the time?

With the clickable Home button, you don't need to hold the phone close to it. Your thumb will reach to make a tap or click in most cases. But such a reach is not enough to swipe.
  • Reply 60 of 73
    dougd said:
    Actually, rather than go to an 8+ many will go to the X:  Essentially:   it has the external frame size of the 8 with the screen size of the 8+.   (Plus the beauty of the OLED screen.) 
    It is not 8+ screen size. Its width is the same as 6. Many people will order without paying attention to screen aspect ratio then will return it after discovering that it is not a bigger screen but just a taller screen.

If burning electricity for white pixels (like the ones around these letters now) is beauty then this is an expensive beauty.
    edited September 2017