Apple releases macOS 10.13 High Sierra with APFS, Metal 2, new Safari, Photos improvements...

124

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 97
    jonyo said:
    Does anyone one know if a formerly HDD Mac 2012 non-retina MBP in my case) that’s had the HDD replaced with a SSD will have that SSD automatically converted to APFS from HFS+ like the newer Macs that are aways SSD-only? Or will APFS not be an option for now as with the HDD and Fusion Drive users?


    If it's a SSD it will be upgraded.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 97
    Preview or Photos do not support conversion of bitmaps or other lossless image formats to HEIF. 
    Quicktime saves video in H.265 format at speeds that are a factor slower than Handbrake.
    So unless some third party will do the job, either you generate content with the iPhone 7/8 or you are out of luck using the new formats for those imaged you just scanned....
  • Reply 63 of 97
    troberts said:
    melgross said:
    troberts said:
    Just my luck. The day I decide to update to macOS Sierra before macOS High Sierra is released and hope EVE Online still works at least as well as it does now on OS X El Capitan, macOS High Sierra gets released.

    Is there a way to get macOS Sierra? If my hard drive failed or I swapped it for an SSD and I wanted to stay on macOS Sierra, I would think there is a way to do it.

    A number of older OSs are still up on their site.
    Where do I go to get macOS Sierra? When I go the the App Store and type "macOS Sierra" the only OS that shows is macOS High Sierra.
    If you’ve downloaded it previously it should be in your Purchases.
  • Reply 64 of 97
    Ugh.. this is such a poor release, I really wish Apple would double down on Mac OS (Which still wouldn't be putting in that much effort), maybe hire some engineers to actually work on MacOS, I know it's not a priority for them, but they have a lot of resources and it's still an important business for the brand.

    Instead all we get are incredibly small revisions each release. I get the need for some clean up work but that is all we keep getting now, Apple is even using the naming schemes to show this, it's like snow snow snow leopard. When are we going to get an actual real OS update? I hope it's because the real team are busy working on something big, else what are they doing?

    I thought after the previous release we were due for a big release and then what gets announced is even less.

    The biggest update in this OS is the file system and that was announced as a Sierra feature that was supposed to come in an update, not in this version of the OS, so that's a bit of a joke, the biggest thing about this update is something they failed to ship on time from the previous release and really? What does it mean for the end user, not much. 
  • Reply 65 of 97
    melgross said:
    jeff_cook said:
    melgross said:
    I don’t get what the rush is for some people here. It’s much better to wait at least a couple of days. Do you guys really need to feel as though you’re first? Is this like posting “first” with no other content?
    what you hope to accomplish with this post? 
    Simply stating the truth. What did you hope to accomplish with yours?

    I'm here to get answers to questions. I think people are going to do what they want to do regardless of your advice when it is unsolicited.  
    edited September 2017 StrangeDays
  • Reply 66 of 97
    loopless said:
    jonyo said:
    Does anyone one know if a formerly HDD Mac 2012 non-retina MBP in my case) that’s had the HDD replaced with a SSD will have that SSD automatically converted to APFS from HFS+ like the newer Macs that are aways SSD-only? Or will APFS not be an option for now as with the HDD and Fusion Drive users?


    If it's a SSD it will be upgraded.
    Can I ask where you found this confirmation regarding 3rd-party SATA-bus-connected SSDs? If there's a link, I'd like to see if there's additional information.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 67 of 97
    melgross said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    melgross said:
    I don’t get what the rush is for some people here. It’s much better to wait at least a couple of days. Do you guys really need to feel as though you’re first? Is this like posting “first” with no other content?
    Because playing with a new OS is great fun for nerds? That's not complicated.

    I do wish they had launched on Friday. I can afford a bit of downtime over the weekend…

    troberts said:
    Just my luck. The day I decide to update to macOS Sierra before macOS High Sierra is released and hope EVE Online still works at least as well as it does now on OS X El Capitan, macOS High Sierra gets released.

    Is there a way to get macOS Sierra? If my hard drive failed or I swapped it for an SSD and I wanted to stay on macOS Sierra, I would think there is a way to do it.

    You could use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your existing HD to an external HD or SSD, upgrade your internal to High Sierra, and boot to the external device using Target Mode. (also, yes, you can get Sierra and many older releases off the app store. Google "make Sierra install USB" for downloading instructions.)
    And those very same nerds, though it’s not really the nerds who do that, but fanboys and firster braggers, will also be the very first to complain when they have an issue that gets fixed three days after the release, that screws something up that they don’t know how to fix.
    Are you effing serious? You’ve written a complete fantasy in your head, inventing motivations for people you’ve never even met. It’s some sort of bizarro reverse entitlement fantasy...
    jibberj
  • Reply 68 of 97
    smarky said:
    Ugh.. this is such a poor release, I really wish Apple would double down on Mac OS (Which still wouldn't be putting in that much effort), maybe hire some engineers to actually work on MacOS, I know it's not a priority for them, but they have a lot of resources and it's still an important business for the brand.

    Instead all we get are incredibly small revisions each release. I get the need for some clean up work but that is all we keep getting now, Apple is even using the naming schemes to show this, it's like snow snow snow leopard. When are we going to get an actual real OS update? I hope it's because the real team are busy working on something big, else what are they doing?

    I thought after the previous release we were due for a big release and then what gets announced is even less.

    The biggest update in this OS is the file system and that was announced as a Sierra feature that was supposed to come in an update, not in this version of the OS, so that's a bit of a joke, the biggest thing about this update is something they failed to ship on time from the previous release and really? What does it mean for the end user, not much. 
    First i’ve heard that the AFS was supposed to come out with Sierra. It was announced at WWDC 2016 and didn’t hit iOS until the following winter. Got a source, or are you just full of shit?

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_File_System

    You sound pretty angry about what you’re entitled to in your free OS upgrades. Weird. 
    edited September 2017 watto_cobrajfc1138
  • Reply 69 of 97
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    How do I remove all the useless "programs" and add "Photoshop" in Photo's "Edit with..." context menu? It's ridiculous that I cannot figure out. There is no "always open with this app" option.
  • Reply 70 of 97
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    jonyo said:
    loopless said:
    jonyo said:
    Does anyone one know if a formerly HDD Mac 2012 non-retina MBP in my case) that’s had the HDD replaced with a SSD will have that SSD automatically converted to APFS from HFS+ like the newer Macs that are aways SSD-only? Or will APFS not be an option for now as with the HDD and Fusion Drive users?


    If it's a SSD it will be upgraded.
    Can I ask where you found this confirmation regarding 3rd-party SATA-bus-connected SSDs? If there's a link, I'd like to see if there's additional information.
    It has done it here on a pair of third party SSDs that I have installed - one on a 2012 Mac mini, and one in a heavily upgraded 5,1 Mac Pro.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 71 of 97
    netrox said:
    How do I remove all the useless "programs" and add "Photoshop" in Photo's "Edit with..." context menu? It's ridiculous that I cannot figure out. There is no "always open with this app" option.
    Applications compatible with Photos' Edit With... feature appear there. Obviously Photoshop is not compatible with that. In this case use the "Export Unmodified Original" menu command and open with Photoshop from within the Finder. "Always Open With..." is a Finder feature.

    By the way there are no "useless" programs in macOS. Your Mac is not a PC filled with bloatware.
    edited September 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 72 of 97
    troberts said:
    melgross said:
    troberts said:
    Just my luck. The day I decide to update to macOS Sierra before macOS High Sierra is released and hope EVE Online still works at least as well as it does now on OS X El Capitan, macOS High Sierra gets released.

    Is there a way to get macOS Sierra? If my hard drive failed or I swapped it for an SSD and I wanted to stay on macOS Sierra, I would think there is a way to do it.

    A number of older OSs are still up on their site.
    Where do I go to get macOS Sierra? When I go the the App Store and type "macOS Sierra" the only OS that shows is macOS High Sierra.
    If you’ve downloaded it previously it should be in your Purchases.
    I never downloaded macOS Sierra because EVE Online does not have it in their system requirements list. I do not have a problem staying on OS X El Capitan, it's just that I would to upgrade to macOS Sierra if/when EVE Online lists it as a supported OS, or it is good enough to not crash any more than it already does.
  • Reply 73 of 97
    dougd said:
    Only a fool would upgrade now. Wait at least six months
    We're bleeders!
  • Reply 74 of 97
    Noticed something interesting regarding the public golden master High Sierra installer. If one has iTunes version 12.6.2 currently installed on their Sierra hard drive, it will remain in High Sierra.

    I just installed High Sierra on my dad's Mac Mini with iTunes version 12.6.2 on his hard drive. Upon launching iTunes after the installation, said version remained. iTunes wasn't changed.  The same goes for my MBP 10,1.

    I have other Macs to upgrade, will give a report after they have been upgraded.
  • Reply 75 of 97
    troberts said:
    Where do I go to get macOS Sierra? When I go the the App Store and type "macOS Sierra" the only OS that shows is macOS High Sierra.
    Yeah, it’s psychotic of Apple, but you have to have the previous OS’ in your account to be able to download them after the new one comes out.
  • Reply 76 of 97
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

    Upgraded this morning, all seems OK so far, but haven't really used it in anger, yet.

    My Fedora VM on Parallels 13 seems to be going OK. When I get a chance, I'll try starting up a couple more.

    watto_cobra
  • Reply 77 of 97
    melgross said:
    jeff_cook said:
    melgross said:
    I don’t get what the rush is for some people here. It’s much better to wait at least a couple of days. Do you guys really need to feel as though you’re first? Is this like posting “first” with no other content?
    what you hope to accomplish with this post? 
    Simply stating the truth. What did you hope to accomplish with yours?

    And here we are! One of the reasons why we should wait a bit, instead of rushing into things. Right here on this site. Isn’t that funny?

    http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/09/25/macos-high-sierra-vulnerability-may-let-unsigned-apps-steal-keychain-logins-in-plaintext
    Here's another

    https://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2017/20170917_0835-macOS-HighSierra-APFS.html
  • Reply 78 of 97
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    melgross said:
    jeff_cook said:
    melgross said:
    I don’t get what the rush is for some people here. It’s much better to wait at least a couple of days. Do you guys really need to feel as though you’re first? Is this like posting “first” with no other content?
    what you hope to accomplish with this post? 
    Simply stating the truth. What did you hope to accomplish with yours?

    And here we are! One of the reasons why we should wait a bit, instead of rushing into things. Right here on this site. Isn’t that funny?

    http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/09/25/macos-high-sierra-vulnerability-may-let-unsigned-apps-steal-keychain-logins-in-plaintext

    From the article:

    AppleInsider said:

    Wardle later commented that other versions of macOS are exposed as well.

    So it doesn't really matter if you upgrade to High Sierra or not, you may still be vulnerable.

    watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 79 of 97
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    melgross said:
    jeff_cook said:
    melgross said:
    I don’t get what the rush is for some people here. It’s much better to wait at least a couple of days. Do you guys really need to feel as though you’re first? Is this like posting “first” with no other content?
    what you hope to accomplish with this post? 
    Simply stating the truth. What did you hope to accomplish with yours?

    And here we are! One of the reasons why we should wait a bit, instead of rushing into things. Right here on this site. Isn’t that funny?

    http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/09/25/macos-high-sierra-vulnerability-may-let-unsigned-apps-steal-keychain-logins-in-plaintext
    Here's another

    https://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2017/20170917_0835-macOS-HighSierra-APFS.html
    MPG's made a few incorrect assumptions about High Sierra and APFS.

    During the betas, it was SOME Fusion Drives that didn't function with APFS. So, for now, they ALL won't be converted. Apple said NOTHING about no performance gain on the drives at all, so where they got that, I have no idea.

    Additionally, APFS isn't based on drive, but on volume -- which they'd have known if they did more than five minutes of testing. A single DRIVE can have multiple partitions, with APFS on some, none, or all of them. A Bootcamp partition will be left alone. However, Windows has no idea what APFS is, and as such, won't read that partition.

    I will agree that the tech notes are poorly crafted. I disagree that they weren't "reviewed by engineers" as the notes appear to have been written by one -- and not by an actual writer.

    But, this piece is overall pretty shoddy work from the normally good MPG.
    edited September 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 80 of 97
    melgross said:
    jeff_cook said:
    melgross said:
    I don’t get what the rush is for some people here. It’s much better to wait at least a couple of days. Do you guys really need to feel as though you’re first? Is this like posting “first” with no other content?
    what you hope to accomplish with this post? 
    Simply stating the truth. What did you hope to accomplish with yours?

    And here we are! One of the reasons why we should wait a bit, instead of rushing into things. Right here on this site. Isn’t that funny?

    http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/09/25/macos-high-sierra-vulnerability-may-let-unsigned-apps-steal-keychain-logins-in-plaintext
    Here's another

    https://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2017/20170917_0835-macOS-HighSierra-APFS.html
    MPG's made a few incorrect assumptions about High Sierra and APFS.

    During the betas, it was SOME Fusion Drives that didn't function with APFS. So, for now, they ALL won't be converted. Apple said NOTHING about no performance gain on the drives at all, so where they got that, I have no idea.

    Additionally, APFS isn't based on drive, but on volume -- which they'd have known if they did more than five minutes of testing. A single DRIVE can have multiple partitions, with APFS on some, none, or all of them. A Bootcamp partition will be left alone. However, Windows has no idea what APFS is, and as such, won't read that partition.

    I will agree that the tech notes are poorly crafted. I disagree that they weren't "reviewed by engineers" as the notes appear to have been written by one -- and not by an actual writer.

    But, this piece is overall pretty shoddy work from the normally good MPG.
    Thanks for the clarification.

    Edit:  Just read this.  Important for Fusion Drive Macs

    https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/25/apfs-fusion-drive-high-sierra-update/
    edited September 2017
Sign In or Register to comment.