Android makers shift focus from under-display fingerprint readers to 3D sensing after iPho...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 92
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    nasserae said:
    tmay said:
    Soli said:
    Hardly any whining about the Google Pixel 2 missing the audio jack.
    I agree with most of your statements and all of your general sentiment, but one point of content I have is the whining about the Pixel 2. I've seen a lot of bemoaning over its loss. While Google's HW sales isn't even in the same ballpark as Apple, they do have plenty of mindshare.

The comments and rationalizations why the 3.5mm analog headphone jack should never go away are amazing… and depressing… and pathetic.
    Nilay followed up with this:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/5/16426754/pixel-2-headphone-jack-bluetooth-walled-garden

This is the problem that Apple runs into all the time, standards that are out of date, solves it with their own particular mix of, well everything, and then media complains about "fragmentation" because Apple has created a new defacto standard, or worse, new device category. Obviously, Google wants to be able to capitalize on their own standards creation, but to do that, they are going to have to cut the lifeline to "vanilla" Android OS. I hope that Google does that!

Don't make me list all of the examples of obsolete standards that Apple has "murdered" simply because they added nothing to Apple devices

Okay, one. 

FM radios.

If it was such a big deal, Google would have said something about it during the announcement of the Pixel 2, when it would have been easy to take a cheap shot at Apple. They didn't. Nobody gives a shit about FM radio anymore. Heck, I don't even know if the Pixel 2 has a working FM radio at all. It surely can't use an earphone as an antenna.
    Nilay is a moron. I don’t know how he became a tech writer. The headphone jack is gone the way of floppy drives, optical drives, and every other obsolete tech. Honeslty, I can’t wait until wireless charging is as fast as wired charging so we can get rid of all ports on iPhones.
    Inductive charging is already as fast and faster than the charging that comes with the iPhone, but don't expect the the Lightning cable to go away for a long time. Just think about long the ODD lasted when we had many other smaller, faster, and higher-density storage mediums. Usually new tech last only makes older tech take a backseat, but doesn't force it out right away. We have Lighting headphones years before Apple removed the 3.5mm analog jack and WiFi with theoretical speeds higher than their GigE, which they only removed because the chassis became too thin, but even know you can still use a dongle because USB ports still exist. I wouldn't expect the Lightning port to go away for a very long time. Next up is probably the physical SIM card, and even then we've had eSIMs available for many years—hopefully the Apple Watch will help push carriers to finally support this fully so that other devices can finally remove it within the new few years.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 92
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,954member
    jcallows said:
    it'd make a lot more sense to put face id in the macbooks.  then they can get rid of the shiny touch id button that sticks out like a sore thumb, as well as that gimmicky touch bar.
    Touch bar is going the other way. Eventually there will be no physical keys. Giant touch pad.
    jcallows
  • Reply 43 of 92
    jcallowsjcallows Posts: 150member
    cali said:

The touchbar has a function, anything that adds function can’t be a gimmick. Do you plug in an external mouse to your MacBook to avoid the gimmicky trackpad?
    the trackpad, though it upsets the symmetry and minimalist design of a laptop, is nearly as essential as the keyboard, which is why it (or other cursor controllers like the trackball or joystick) has been included early in the creation of the laptop.  

the touchbar is a gimmick.  it adds little value and doesn't justify upsetting the minimalist design of the macbook that apple strives to achieve.  i was completely surprised it was added as it goes against apple's philosophy that what you leave out is as important as what you put in.  over the years there were many features apple could've easily put into their products but left out.  and this is one of those that should've been left out.

honestly, i was all set to buy the macbook with the touchbar until i actually saw it in the store.  that plastic strip and shiny plastic touch id button just stood out and cheapened the design.  the overall look was reminiscent of dell's or hp's best attempt at a macbook knock-off.  so i said no thanks.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 44 of 92
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,115member
    jcallows said:
    cali said:

The touchbar has a function, anything that adds function can’t be a gimmick. Do you plug in an external mouse to your MacBook to avoid the gimmicky trackpad?
    the trackpad, though it upsets the symmetry and minimalist design of a laptop, is nearly as essential as the keyboard, which is why it (or other cursor controllers like the trackball or joystick) has been included early in the creation of the laptop.  

the touchbar is a gimmick.  it adds little value and doesn't justify upsetting the minimalist design of the macbook that apple strives to achieve.  i was completely surprised it was added as it goes against apple's philosophy that what you leave out is as important as what you put in.  over the years there were many features apple could've easily put into their products but left out.  and this is one of those that should've been left out.

honestly, i was all set to buy the macbook with the touchbar until i actually saw it in the store.  that plastic strip and shiny plastic touch id button just stood out and cheapened the design.  the overall look was reminiscent of dell's or hp's best attempt at a macbook knock-off.  so i said no thanks.
    Good. Ignorance is bliss.
  • Reply 45 of 92
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Soli said:
    nasserae said:
    tmay said:

Inductive charging is already as fast and faster than the charging that comes with the iPhone, but don't expect the the Lightning cable to go away for a long time. Just think about long the ODD lasted when we had many other smaller, faster, and higher-density storage mediums. Usually new tech last only makes older tech take a backseat, but doesn't force it out right away. We have Lighting headphones years before Apple removed the 3.5mm analog jack and WiFi with theoretical speeds higher than their GigE, which they only removed because the chassis became too thin, but even know you can still use a dongle because USB ports still exist. I wouldn't expect the Lightning port to go away for a very long time. Next up is probably the physical SIM card, and even then we've had eSIMs available for many years—hopefully the Apple Watch will help push carriers to finally support this fully so that other devices can finally remove it within the new few years.
    I think Lightning port will go away sooner than SIM cards. The issue with SIM card is international adaptation. Even google new Pixel phones with eSIM only works in the US and if you are subscriper to their service. Lightning removal is in Apple’s best interest. One less point of failure and better security. As for diagnostics I don’t think that’s an issue since Apple always replace the device if there is anything wrong. They can install internal port for that as well.
  • Reply 46 of 92
    RacerhomieXRacerhomieX Posts: 95unconfirmed, member
    Beautiful. Google & Android are following like sheep. The iPhone is set for the next decade is set. Hardware personalization is next. I love the AirPods & Apple Watch combo. Eyes are next. Home & transportation in the next decade. And for those still whining ,the Notch is already the new Home Button. https://marco.org/2017/09/18/courage
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 92
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,309member
    jcallows said:
    it'll make a lot more sense to put face id in the macbooks.  then they can get rid of the shiny touch id button sticks out like a sore thumb, as well as that gimmicky touch bar.
    I use the touch ID and touch bar all the time, I like it.
    Same here. I can't imagine my 2017 MacBook Pro without Touch ID and Touch Bar. 
    edited October 2017 watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 48 of 92
    Nilay in 2017 - "It is user-hostile to remove old tech in order to innovate".
    "Not enough innovation from Apple" - Nilay pre 2017.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 49 of 92
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    lkrupp said:
    The power of Apple's current and future SoC's are going to become ever more apparent as Android running phones struggle to implement innovations with under powered Snapdragons. Hell, they can't even manage 1080p at 240 fps, how are they going to run heavy duty 3D sensing.
    And how many people need 1080p at 240fps?

A lot of people, like those who like the slow motion videos it supports.

YES... have you watched a 240fps video of a camp fire ߔ堿 (wow that character emoji is suppose to be of fire, but forum changed it to the Korean? , japanese?, chinese? character...)
      mesmerizing...

edited October 2017
  • Reply 50 of 92
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,686member
    bluefire1 said:
    jcallows said:
    it'll make a lot more sense to put face id in the macbooks.  then they can get rid of the shiny touch id button sticks out like a sore thumb, as well as that gimmicky touch bar.
    I use the touch ID and touch bar all the time, I like it.
    Same here. I can't imagine my 2017 MacBook Pro without Touch ID and Touch Bar. 

The TouchBar will stay, but TouchID will go in favor of FaceID. I have a feeling the T1 SoC was designed with FaceID in mind as it already controls the mic and camera.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 92
    “There they (Adroids) go again”
    pscooter63watto_cobraanton zuykov
  • Reply 52 of 92
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,686member

jcallows said:
    cali said:

Based on your logic, the trackpad is a gimmick. I hate using it and plug a mouse into my laptop, so it's basically wasted space, i.e. a gimmick.

Just because you may not find something useful or appealing does not make it a gimmick. A gimmick is a feature that is more for "flash" than function, meaning it does not work well. Such as Samsung's "facial recognition", or their "eye scroll" features. These were very flashy features, but in practice did not work well FOR ANYONE.

The TouchBar is extremely useful, not only can it be turned into a row of function keys as was there before, it can have context aware functionality. Plus the TouchID sensor is there.
    StrangeDaystmaypscooter63watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 53 of 92
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    jcallows said:
    cali said:

No one here believes you were set to buy anything. 

macxpresspscooter63StrangeDayswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 54 of 92
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,904member
    tmay said:
    levi said:
    According to well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, Android hardware makers have turned their attention away from under-display fingerprint readers and toward 3D sensing technologies like those Apple debuted with iPhone X, a flip-flop designed to capture customer sentiment. 
    This guys notes get more ridiculous every day. Just a bunch of gibberish. Where is the customer sentiment for 3D sensing? Most consumers haven’t used Face ID yet and AR is in its infancy. Nobody knows yet if this is going to be the next big thing everyone has to have. 
    He and most everyone else who saw the keynote (consumers and OEMs) are predicting FaceID (instant secure unlock) and the technology that enables it, will be a commercial success. As Steve Jobs said “skate to where the puck is going.” You’re going to bust his balls for pointing this out, when we’re all assuming this to be the case? That’s ridiculous.
    Yes I am. Apple’s not the first to have this technology. I highly doubt Android OEMs are scrambling now to get Face ID knockoffs into their phones. Just like I don’t think Apple scrambles to do something that Samsung, Google or anyone else announces. That’s not how companies work.
    I agree that Apple wasn't the first to have this technology, but they are first with implementing it on a production device, in volume, as primary identification.

You make me laugh. 

The few others that are working on this have likely secured some bit of the the available supply chain; the rest, not so much. Do you really think that Apple skimming off the cream of the supply chain production is just chance? It's monopsony behavior, no less than Samsung's hold on "proper" OLED's.

Scrambling is absolutely the correct term for what the others are doing.
    Wasn't it Samsung that was scrambling to put something like TouchID into their next phone after Apple announced it? Or, maybe it was Samsung scrambling to implement Samsung's version of ApplePay as soon as they heard about the possibility that Apple may release it? 

I think Apple makes companies scramble all the time...Just because Apple isn't first with a particular technology doesn't mean Apple doesn't make others scramble when Apple releases it using the correct implementation. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 92
    spice-boy said:
    So how long will it be until retail purchases will be made with some form of 3D sensing? Do you really want credit card, banks and corporations to have a 3D image of your face on record? I have a iPhone 6s and don't plan on replacing for years to come unless it is lost or damaged. I assume iOS for iPhone X and those to follow will still allow for passcode verification. 
    Of course Apple will allow a passcode. FaceID isn't mandatory on iPhone X, its just a feature. Just like with previous iPhones, you don't have to use the TouchID. You can just elect to enter in your passcode to unlock your device. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 92
    jcallows said:
    cali said:

So it adds no value to you so its a gimmick? I could say the some thing about a USB or bluetooth mouse. I happen to like using the trackpads on MacBook Pros so the USB or bluetooth mouse provides no value to me. I guess the USB or bluetooth mouse is a gimmick. I'm sorry Apple didn't design a laptop for your personal needs. Maybe next time. If only Steve were here, right?
    edited October 2017 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 92
    Good. Ignorance is bliss.
    so true
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 92
    macxpress said:
    So it adds no value to you so its a gimmick? I could say the some thing about a USB or bluetooth mouse. I happen to like using the trackpads on MacBook Pros so the USB or bluetooth mouse provides no value to me. I guess the USB or bluetooth mouse is a gimmick. I'm sorry Apple didn't design a laptop for your personal needs. Maybe next time. If only Steve were here, right?
    if steve were here he'd throw it out for the same reason he refused to turn the display into a touch screen or include a stylus with the ipad or put a physical keyboard on the iphone.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 59 of 92
    jcallows said:
    macxpress said:
    if steve were here he'd throw it out for the same reason he refused to turn the display into a touch screen or include a stylus with the ipad or put a physical keyboard on the iphone.
    And how do you know that? I mean Steve never flip flopped on what he said....EVER! /s
    edited October 2017 Soligatorguypscooter63
  • Reply 60 of 92
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,077member
    jcallows said:
    cali said:

I agree with you on the touchbar you don't here much about it.   There hasn't been a rush PC makers trying to copy it yet (but if they do they will probably overdo it).
    If they had left the regular function key row along with the touchbar I might have bought one of the new MacBook Pros (I was really interested in the TouchID key.  It should be on every MAC even if by itself.)   So I bought a 2015 MBP this summer instead from BH.   Maxed it out and it meets my speed needs for now.   
    jcallows