Some iPhone X owners report mystery green lines appearing on displays

Posted:
in iPhone
Some buyers of Apple's iPhone X are encountering green lines along the left or right side of the OLED display, according to various accounts on social media.

Image Credit: tomek80 via Apple Support Communities
Image Credit: tomek80 via Apple Support Communities

The lines appear to be developing after use, in at least one case just the space of a day. Complaints have arisen on Reddit, Twitter, Apple's support forums and elsewhere.

Restarting or restoring a device doesn't fix the problem. Only a minority of people are believed to be affected though, regardless of a phone's configuration or the region where it was bought.

Apple is replacing affected iPhones for free, MacRumors indicated. At the same time it's thought to be collecting data for engineers with the hope of diagnosing the issue.

A similar glitch once affected the OLED screen on Samsung's Galaxy S7. Indeed Samsung is thought to be the lone OLED supplier for the iPhone X, as the only company with enough manufacturing capacity to meet Apple demands.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    here we go  :/ 
    Apple will fix it with an update lol
  • Reply 2 of 60
    At least it's all the way over on the side I guess, as opposed to down the middle.  Apple will replace it of course, just might take month or two for them to have adequate inventory to do so
  • Reply 3 of 60
    Have this phone for a week. Need to decide if I am keeping it. FaceID is a pain in the rear. Most apps are not optimized for the notch so they are condensed. I realize app optimization will take time but $1200 with tax for this type of experience has been a bit of a bummer.
    bdkennedy1002dysamoriaavon b7cornchip
  • Reply 4 of 60
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Green-line gate?

The problem with social media and the internet is that everything is magnified a thousand fold. Even if a dozen people have this issue, out of MILLIONS, everyone one of these stories is shared infinitely to millions of people, on thousands of sites and countless comments, and suddenly this infinitesimal small number starts to seem like half the units. 
    Oferlkruppwatto_cobraaegeanpscooter63StrangeDayscornchipjony0
  • Reply 5 of 60
    Hahahahahaha, retun it.....They are giving away note8, you might be lucky 
    doozydozenwatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 6 of 60
    Ops, me too.....experiencing green battery icon when charging w lightning cable.
    LordeHawkwatto_cobracornchipjony0
  • Reply 7 of 60
    Have this phone for a week. Need to decide if I am keeping it. FaceID is a pain in the rear. Most apps are not optimized for the notch so they are condensed. I realize app optimization will take time but $1200 with tax for this type of experience has been a bit of a bummer.
    FaceID has worked really well for me. I was unsure if I’d like it but it’s turned out to be a pleasant surprise. I even get reliable recognition at an angle with the iPhone on the table while leaning over. As far as unoptimised apps, it really looks no different than if the apps were running on a non-iPhone X. Not ideal, but not any worse than another iPhone—the OLED makes the upper/lower spots actual black and so it mostly looks like it just has bezels.

More on topic, my iPhone X has an issue of white colour uniformity on the display (it’s whiter on the right side). I’m really sensitive to it—to my shame I went through about 16 returns over 3 months of the original iPad Air to get a decently uniform display! That was really bad though, not sure how most people didn’t notice it. I don’t want to go through that experience again and so I’ll try one return/exchange of this X to see if I can get a more uniform display.
    doozydozenbb-15SoundJudgmentnetroxben20anantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 60
    Waiting this one out until rev 2 appears. Have fun being beta testers, folks.
    bdkennedy1002SoundJudgmentbaconstangben20cornchip
  • Reply 9 of 60
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Shouldn't have bought it so early, bro.  I'm waiting until at least February.   Why is Face ID an issue for you (just curious)?
    doozydozenSoundJudgmentbaconstanganantksundaram
  • Reply 10 of 60
    slurpy said:
    Green-line gate?

The problem with social media and the internet is that everything is magnified a thousand fold. Even if a dozen people have this issue, out of MILLIONS, everyone one of these stories is shared infinitely to millions of people, on thousands of sites and countless comments, and suddenly this infinitesimal small number starts to seem like half the units. 

doozydozenOferSoundJudgmentandrewj5790pscooter63StrangeDayscornchipjony0
  • Reply 11 of 60
    Most early adopters know what they're signing up for. Most. When the "Giant iPod Touch" appeared in 2010, most iOS apps were optimized for the iPhone screen. That era quickly passed.
    bb-15watto_cobrapscooter63cornchip
  • Reply 12 of 60
    Headline: "Some iPhone X owners..."
    Buried in story: "Only a minority of people..."
    Reddit: "LOL@APPLE SAMSUNG PWNS U"
    watto_cobrapscooter63StrangeDayscornchip
  • Reply 13 of 60
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    georgie01 said:
    FaceID has worked really well for me. I was unsure if I’d like it but it’s turned out to be a pleasant surprise. I even get reliable recognition at an angle with the iPhone on the table while leaning over. As far as unoptimised apps, it really looks no different than if the apps were running on a non-iPhone X. Not ideal, but not any worse than another iPhone—the OLED makes the upper/lower spots actual black and so it mostly looks like it just has bezels.

More on topic, my iPhone X has an issue of white colour uniformity on the display (it’s whiter on the right side). I’m really sensitive to it—to my shame I went through about 16 returns over 3 months of the original iPad Air to get a decently uniform display! That was really bad though, not sure how most people didn’t notice it. I don’t want to go through that experience again and so I’ll try one return/exchange of this X to see if I can get a more uniform display.
    Georgie, 

I don't want to presume, but if you are female, you may be of a subset that can sees color differently.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/where-men-see-white-women-see-ecru-22540446/
    doozydozenrandominternetperson
  • Reply 14 of 60
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Hahahahahaha, retun it.....They are giving away note8, you might be lucky 
    I saw a commercial, buy a note8 and get a free note8.
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 15 of 60
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Headline: "Some iPhone X owners..."
    Buried in story: "Only a minority of people..."
    Reddit: "LOL@APPLE SAMSUNG PWNS U"
    Remember recently when one person (or two, some small number anyway) rec'd one of the Google Pixel phones without an OS and it was blown up like it was a widespread and regular occurrence? Think there was a thread here about it. The blogosphere loves kicking the big boys, doesn't have to be Apple. 
  • Reply 16 of 60
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    georgie01 said:

My iPhone 6s has the color non-uniformity problem (warmer on left side, cooler on right side). When I compared it to iPhones at the local Apple Store, I realized this was a common Apple problem and that I'm one of a very few people who can recognize it (photographer used to looking for white balance). Luckily my iPad Pro doesn't have the same issue (with that, it's just the angle of view, a typical problem with larger LCDs). When we are buying products made by a company that doesn't care about details anymore, who's making products for average consumers who don't see these details, this is the kind of defect that gets ignored as "normal". 
  • Reply 17 of 60
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    tmay said:
    georgie01 said:

Georgie, 

I don't want to presume, but if you are female, you may be of a subset that can sees color differently.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/where-men-see-white-women-see-ecru-22540446/
    You're talking about perception of one tone. The original poster is talking about lack of uniformity. It doesn't take a quirk of genetics to recognize this inconsistency. All it takes is the inconsistency to be present and a bit of attention (trained eyes, maybe). 
  • Reply 18 of 60
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    At least it's all the way over on the side I guess, as opposed to down the middle.  Apple will replace it of course, just might take month or two for them to have adequate inventory to do so
    Yes, Apple probably will either replace the screen (to fix the green line on the side problem) or replace the complete phone. (With my cracked iPad Air 2 screen, Apple gave me a new iPad.)

* Also, keeping this in perspective, let's look at a competitor, the highly rated Pixel 2 XL and its screen.

"...the Pixel 2 XL... Its display, however, has been widely criticised for a host of reasons, including washed out colors, significant blue shift when viewed at an angle, lines of dead or colored pixels, graininess, and light bleed, just to name a few...

multiple users have been complaining that the Pixel 2 XL's screen will occasionally flash when locking or unlocking the device."

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/11/08/pixel-2-xl-screens-flashing-locking-unlocking/

"one of our Pixel 2 XL review units, in use for about a week, is already seeing some pretty crazy levels of burn-in."

https://www.androidcentral.com/google-pixel-2-xl-screen-burn

edited November 2017 watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 19 of 60
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    This greengate is due to Samsung's evil strategy by it's OLED production quality control intentionally letting subpar OLED display panels pass through so at the end it makes Apple look bad.
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 20 of 60
    Samsung-screens...again?? Once again, the cry goes out to Apple: **"NEVER let your ENEMY build your PRODUCT!!"**
    watto_cobraaegeanceejay bombingcornchip