iPhone owners will be able to disable CPU throttling in future iOS version, Cook says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 99
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    “We will tell somebody, saying, 'We're reducing your performance by some amount in order to not have an unexpected restart,'" Cook said. "And if you don't want it, you can turn it off. Now we don't recommend it, because we think that people's iPhones are really import to them, and you can never tell when something is so urgent.”

I’ll be very interested to see how they word this in iOS. 
    muthuk_vanalingamjony0jbdragon
  • Reply 22 of 99
    I don’t know about anyone else but I can’t wait until my battery gets old and I can deliberately choose a setting that will shut down my iPhone instead of throttling for more efficient longer use. /s
    SoliRayz2016tmayradarthekatwatto_cobrabeowulfschmidtjony0jbdragonpscooter63
  • Reply 23 of 99
    MisterKit said:
    I don’t know about anyone else but I can’t wait until my battery gets old and I can deliberately choose a setting that will shut down my iPhone instead of throttling for more efficient longer use. /s

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

watto_cobrajony0jbdragon
  • Reply 24 of 99
    JFC_PA said:
    More user control is always welcome. 
    If your iPhone gets bricked because of an uncontrolled shutdown, your ”more user control” won’t resurrect your dead iPhone.
    SoliRayz2016watto_cobrachabigjony0jbdragon
  • Reply 25 of 99
    JFC_PA said:
    More user control is always welcome. 
    Until they get their motherboards damaged.
    This is a bad move.
    Mmmm. I was thinking about that. If the phone is bricked because someone used this setting, how will Apple know?

Doesn’t seem too sensible to me. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 99
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member
    Excellent. Let me know when my battery is ruined, and give me the choice to throttle the SoC or not.
    That’s exactly what I want.
    kseclarrya
  • Reply 27 of 99
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member

Rayz2016 said:

The user controlled switch might work OK if they include a battery health indicator.
    There is already a battery health indicator. It lights up under the settings when the battery starts wearing out. 
    It doesn’t work very well. It lights up when the battery health is very very low, and the phone is already throttled.
    atomic101muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 28 of 99
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    maxit said:
    Rayz2016 said:

The user controlled switch might work OK if they include a battery health indicator.
    There is already a battery health indicator. It lights up under the settings when the battery starts wearing out. 
    It doesn’t work very well. It lights up when the battery health is very very low, and the phone is already throttled.
    1) And you want the device to instantly shutdown instead. What a reasonable request. /s

2) You're the reason why so many logical solutions have to be idiot-proofed.
    edited January 2018 atomic101Rayz2016watto_cobramacxpressjbdragon
  • Reply 29 of 99
    This reminds me of the Volkswagen scandal where cars faked their pollution output when being tested.

In case of Apple it’s of course not as bad AT ALL, but what both cases share is the fact  someone finds out something that has been ‘hidden’ in software and now is ‘exposed’ to the public.
    Once that happens, you as a manufacturer are screwed regardless of it being to protect the consumer’s devices (Apple) or polluting the environment and screwing over customers (Volkswagen).
    Apple is in the wrong and they know it. They should have added it in their terms of use and expose this in the settings. If people would have known before they shouldn’t have added a setting where you can turn off something that makes perfectly sense to have built in iOS without it being exposed as a setting. But it’s too late now.
    atomic101
  • Reply 30 of 99
    maxit said:

Rayz2016 said:

That’s what it’s supposed to do, otherwise folk would complain that Apple is forcing them to change the battery too early in order to pile on millions in profits. In any case, the better solution would be to improve the warning, not give people the option to let the phone shut down. 

But now you want to switch this on and risk the phone shutting down during a critical operation? 
    edited January 2018 radarthekatwatto_cobrajbdragon
  • Reply 31 of 99
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    This reminds me of the Volkswagen scandal where cars faked their pollution output when being tested.

In case of Apple it’s of course not as bad AT ALL, but what both cases share is the fact  someone finds out something that has been ‘hidden’ in software and now is ‘exposed’ to the public.
    Once that happens, you as a manufacturer are screwed regardless of it being to protect the consumer’s devices (Apple) or polluting the environment and screwing over customers (Volkswagen).
    Apple is in the wrong and they know it. They should have added it in their terms of use and expose this in the settings. If people would have known before they shouldn’t have added a setting where you can turn off something that makes perfectly sense to have built in iOS without it being exposed as a setting. But it’s too late now.
    It is in no way similar, so basically straw man / false equivalence, go back to rhetorical school.
    Rayz2016tmaywatto_cobrachabigmike1jony0jbdragon
  • Reply 32 of 99
    Such a setting won’t prevent lawsuits that will result from uncontrolled shutdowns.
    Rayz2016watto_cobrajbdragon
  • Reply 33 of 99

Soli said:
    maxit said:
    Rayz2016 said:

1) And you want the device to instantly shutdown instead. What a reasonable request. /s

2) You're the reason why so many logical solutions have to be idiot-proofed.
    Next up: Apple caves in to users and allows operating system upgrades over cell networks. 

Who’d have thought we’d ever see a “let my device crash” option on any device? 
    watto_cobrachabigmike1jbdragon
  • Reply 34 of 99
    Such a setting won’t prevent lawsuits that will result from uncontrolled shutdowns.
    Nope, they’ve opened themselves up to lawsuit hell. 

I’m hoping that they have the good sense to disable this during OS upgrades. 

edited January 2018 watto_cobrajbdragon
  • Reply 35 of 99
    a very fast scoop by AI by the way. Good job. 
    watto_cobramacxpress
  • Reply 36 of 99
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    How difficult would it to present an educated dialog upon the first detection of a battery shutdown  ?
    Instead of the lamentation/reluctance to service these stupid customers...
    edited January 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 99
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member

The funny thing is, besides a few middle managers getting sacrificed, and some billions paid in fines, buying cars back and what not, and of course, the fact that many other manufacturers were doing the very same thing, Volkswagen sales have been very good. One would actually think that shifting a large number of diesel cars from the first world to the 3rd world, was pretty impressive, especially since the Eurozone is down on diesel now. All of those cars had to be replaced, and lots of owners went right back to Volkswagen for the replacement.

Me, I actually think that Apple will come out pretty well on this, and with a enlarged user base (those battery upgraded devices will likely find new life in someone else's hands), but there will be a small, for Apple, financial hit at some point. Think the other device makers will be able to dodge battery issues from here on? I don't.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 99
    Latko said:
    How difficult would it to present an educated dialog upon the first detection of a battery shutdown  ?
    Nope. People have asked for the option to let their phone crash rather than slow down. 
    watto_cobrajbdragon
  • Reply 39 of 99
    Latko said:
    Does your desktop computer present an educated dialog upon the first detection of your pulling the power plug?
    watto_cobrajbdragon
  • Reply 40 of 99
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    What I think are the most humorous aspects of the whole thing is that:

Only the most demanding users actually noticed any slowdown of their 3 year old iPhone.
    #2 The slowdown only occurred during peak power demand.
    #3 The slowdown during peak power demand was barely noticeable and had to be verified with test equipment
    #4 The complainers put up with the sudden crashes, realizing that they had an old, chemically weakened battery
    #5 Users with older iPhones never thought to replace their older battery (cost $79)
    #6 Everybody has had to replace a car battery (life expectancy about 3 - 4 years on average).  Cost about $80 - $120.
    #7 Everybody has had to replace car tires (life expectancy about 3 - 4 years on average).  Cost about $300 - $400.
    #8 None of the plaintiffs knew that car batteries and tires wear out and will need to be replaced
    #9 Nobody has ever accused car manufacturers of planned obsolescence caused by battery/tire life span
    #10 Those that didn't replace the $79 batteries, on their 3 year old $700 device, feel they have been harmed to the tune of $20,000
    #11 None of the plaintiffs realize they'll never see more than a $100 coupon (redeemable when they purchase an Apple product)
    #12 Plaintiffs' attorneys will rake in millions in fees when the plaintiffs receive the $100 coupons (and that's OK with the plaintiffs).
    You see, that is EXACTLY the problem Apple has.

1, 2, 3 = No.
    Twitter is filled with examples how new battery gave them a much better phone. Real Life experience too with myself and friends.

Replace Cars - Batteries tires. 6,7. 8
    This is basically common sense is uncommon. Lots of people dont have cars, lots of people dont know when tires needs to be replaced. What they do know is that you are mandated to a car check every year and technicians will tell you what needs to be replaced for it to be on the road.

What all users wants, and it is only fair doing so, is to tell them they have a significant impact on performance, and should change their battery.

Heck many didn't knew iPhone could have their battery replaced. They thought it was integrated. Some know it could but didn't know Apple offers the services themselves. 

While i agree it is silly to bring this to court, ( but I assume this is an America's thing ) saying this is users's ignorance is pure xxxxxx ( What's the word )

muthuk_vanalingamaylk