Cupertino official warned Apple of potential Apple Park glass impacts 9 months ago

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    All they have to do is have all Apple employees wear wide brimmed hats, like sombreros. Problem solved.
    The Urban Sombrero™️
    welshdogjcs2305pscooter63
  • Reply 22 of 74
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    It’s not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 23 of 74
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    zroger73 said:
    Instead of cheap and tacky "black, rectangular stickers", I would have had the Apple logo etched into the glass.
    An Apple logo strewn all over the glass would indeed be "cheap and tacky". Black is simple, neutral and effective for this purpose.  That pretty much sums up Apple design.
    StrangeDayspscooter63
  • Reply 24 of 74
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member

Seems like something the chief architect should of thought of.
    That is way outside the realm of "chief architect".  They are only involved in the big stuff.  Minions worry about practical issues.
  • Reply 25 of 74
    MgwlMgwl Posts: 11member
    I’m working as a building control officer, though in Sweden, and we’ve got pretty much the same ”problem” with large glass panes in highly architectual structures. The architects and designers keeps coming up with elaborate explainations as to why there’s no need for etchings or adhesives on the panels. This is what the Swedish building code says:

Glazed surfaces that are unprotected and positioned in such a way that people can come into contact with them shall be designed to ensure the risk of personal injury is limited.

Since the building code is built around functional properties, it doesn’t specifically or explicitly prescribe the use of etchings or adhesives, even though that is the obvious and common solution. The developer of the building could come up with something else, such as an proximity sensor that would tint the glass, should anyone get too close, even though that would be a very expensive solution.

Anyone knows what the US or Californian building code says on this matter?

jasenj1
  • Reply 26 of 74
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Frosted adhesive cut into shapes of trees and leaves to reflect the forestry from out in the park.
    These adhesives are very convincing, they look and feel like sandblasted glass.
    Frosted decals would probably look nicest. I can see why they wanted to avoid additional decals, the offices look really nice with the clear glass:

I don't think shapes would be enough to cover the size of the panels, it might need some stripes. Small frosted stripes wouldn't look too bad:

It would probably be best not damaging the glass but having some kind of coating. This allows them to change it if they come up with a different design. They could always put those little red Apple Watch dots everywhere, people seem to have no trouble noticing those.
    Solibloggerblogpscooter63jasenj1
  • Reply 27 of 74
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Marvin said:
    They could always put those little red Apple Watch dots everywhere, people seem to have no trouble noticing those.
    🤣
    wlympscooter63
  • Reply 28 of 74
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Ho the horror, this obviously spell doom for those poor engineers, will they and their company ever survive this... Man.
  • Reply 29 of 74
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Maybe they should look up from their phones once in a while. You know, like we used to do before we had phones. 
    jgarciaiiJWSCcgWerksbaconstang
  • Reply 30 of 74
    Soli said:
    It's ridiculous that Apple went forward assuming this would be a non-issue.
    It’s a non issue. Let them bleed. Code bitches CODE!!
    StrangeDaysJWSC
  • Reply 31 of 74
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    JFC_PA said:
    supadav03 said:
    Why not just put some sort of etched or frosted design on parts of the glass and move on
    They. Did. 
    They did? I thought the put black stickers?
  • Reply 32 of 74
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Marvin said:
    Frosted adhesive cut into shapes of trees and leaves to reflect the forestry from out in the park.
    These adhesives are very convincing, they look and feel like sandblasted glass.
    Frosted decals would probably look nicest. I can see why they wanted to avoid additional decals, the offices look really nice with the clear glass:

I don't think shapes would be enough to cover the size of the panels, it might need some stripes. Small frosted stripes wouldn't look too bad:

It would probably be best not damaging the glass but having some kind of coating. This allows them to change it if they come up with a different design. They could always put those little red Apple Watch dots everywhere, people seem to have no trouble noticing those.
    They could take advantage of the layerd panels to create an interesting scene with depth. The artwork only needs to be obvious at eye level. 
  • Reply 33 of 74
    A guy I know works at a laboratory campus where he saw an engineer walk into a bus. The bus was opaque.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 34 of 74
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Why in a heck the City officials approved the darn thing if safety is the ussue?? 
    As long as the glass is safety (less likely to break and cut someone when broke) glass, it meets code.
  • Reply 35 of 74
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,810member
    I'd love to have a desk next to one of these doors just so I can watch and laugh my ass off every time someone does it. Honestly, this is so stupid. 
  • Reply 36 of 74
    charles1charles1 Posts: 78member
    There are surely safety solutions that are attractive and well designed enough to please even Jony Ive. I am visualizing etched translucent glass lines, horizontal about shoulder level, the full width across the glass panes. That would make a clearly visible warning, a sort of artificial horizon line, while not being too intrusive visually.
  • Reply 37 of 74
    I would like to see video of these incidents for the entertainment but also for the information.  Are the people paying attention to where they are going or talking, looking at a phone, or otherwise distracted?  You can walk into opaque objects, fountains, traffic, etc. if you don’t pay attention.  But if you pay attention, you can avoid everything except spiderwebs.  Spiderwebs always get you.  These glass panels aren’t invisible no matter how hard they try to make them so.  There’s always a glare. 

Also, I can absolutely picture SJ saying “you’re walking wrong.”
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 38 of 74
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    zroger73 said:
    Instead of cheap and tacky "black, rectangular stickers", I would have had the Apple logo etched into the glass.
    Except that you don’t etch glass while it’s in place. And I don’t think Apple wants to take out each piece to a place to be etched. Stickers are the only feasible option and of course there are many possible colors and designs.
  • Reply 39 of 74
    cimminob1@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    It's a new environment. After a few days of working there everyone will get used to the glass partitions. 
    JWSCpscooter63
  • Reply 40 of 74
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    DAalseth said:
    Pet peeve of mine: Architects that are so intent on making a design statement they forget someone has to live or work in the place. In this case I can’t tell though if it was the architects or Ive and the others from Apple that pushed this.
    Yeah, well, they said that about Frank Lloyd Wright too. And Zaha Hadid’s Scorpion Tower in Miami.

edited March 2018