April Fools: get ready for the worst jokes in the tech industry

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    sfolaxsfolax Posts: 49member
    DAalseth said:
    2) Siri isn't as useful as is should be. But while others may do some things better, the truth is most people don't want to talk to their computer. Honestly whether the system is running Cortana, Google, Alexa, or Siri, I know of no one that uses voice as their first option. Siri may be falling behind, but none of them are really powerful enough to do what I want.
    I use it often actually but then I need to use it. As a motorcycle based mail delivery agent (postie) I’m wrapped up in motorcycle gear including gloves so accessing anything with gloves on is pretty much impossible. Siri on the other hand allows me to call people, send text messages, or answer the phone without taking my gloves off... when I’m stopped at a mailbox that is, not while riding because that’s stupid.

There are many cases where Siri makes a lot of sense so don’t write it off as no one uses it. It works really well for me to and fails less than it succeeds for me and I’m a Kiwi and we’re mocked for our accent.
    To be honest though most of those use cases could have been done before Siri using the iPhone voice control
    http://atmac.org/iphone-voice-commands

While it is great that Siri is able to help you, those aren't really highlight features in 2018. 
    elijahg
  • Reply 22 of 64
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Microsoft‘s Surface Hardware is cool, and in several ways more interesting than Apple‘s offerings, same goes for some non-Apple Smartphones.

The Problem: they don’t run macOS respectively iOS. It’s the software that is key to the Apple user experience, and that often means biting the bullet of biting inferior, overpriced, misdirected hardware.

e.g. the stupid MacBook PRO, that maxes out at 16GB RAM and 2TB storage, when even Apple’s own MBP from a few years ago already had 16MB RAM, and can take 8TB SSD, as if real PRO users give a damn about how “thin” their stupid machines are; if they’ve did, they’d be in the market for MB Airs.

A pro user wants to see 32-64GB ECC RAM and 4+TB storage capacity, and slots for media cards without external periphery.

Apple still has not a single touch/pen enabled portable or desktop, requiring pro users buying expensive stuff like Wacom screens, etc.

But without the Apple software, none of the attractive hardware from other vendors is of interest.

The article makes the mistake to attribute the sales failures of these devices to the hardware, rather than to the abysmal operating systems found on these devices.
    elijahg
  • Reply 23 of 64
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Daniel needs to stick to tech.  He just doesn't understand marketing.  Or, more correctly, he pretends that it either doesn't exist or has no impact.

Yes Daniel, Google is cleaning house in education with their Chomebooks.
    No Daniel, they don't have to make money on them.

Google is accomplishing 2 of their goals:
    1)  Establishing a comfort level with school admins with their products as well as indoctrinating kids with their products and ecosystem.   How many grade schoolers now have Google IDs and familiarity with Google Docs and other ecosystem products -- but not with Apple?

2)  In education Google's product is the kid and his data.  And Google is cleaning house there...

Daniel assumes that superior technology will always win out over marketing strategies and proclaims that it is "proven".  Actually, nothing could be further from the truth.   If it were, everybody would be running either MacOS or OS2 instead of Windows today.  But, despite being superior technologies, both got beat and stayed beat. 
    hammeroftruthelijahgmuthuk_vanalingamrevenantrogerramjet
  • Reply 24 of 64
    sfolax said:
    sfolax said:
    "April Fools" then continues to post links to his own previous articles. DED, you need to relax a little and stop being so defensive on everything.
    How many times does this have to be said? No. One. Else. Is. Calling. Out. The. Media. The whole point of DED articles is to defend against what no one else (except the Macalope) will call out as the preposterousness that it is. The whole point of the article is to be defensive, because most normal tech media attacks Apple all the time and builds up these false narratives. 
    Give me one example where he was right? 

Look at his first "Truth" 
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/03/24/editorial-bloomberg-spins-apples-event-as-a-desperate-blind-stab-for-cheap-ipads-in-education
    Second to last paragraph:

"But of all the things Apple can outline in its education event, "new low-cost iPads" are the least likely to appear. Apple's historical move against cheap commodity has been to release a new leap in functional technology that makes its products more valuable at the same price point. The most obvious step is suggested by the calligraphy of the event's invite, which looks as if drawn by an Apple Pencil."

So what did Apple do? Release a new low cost iPad.
    In fact even AI did an article about the lower price for students - https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/03/27/apple-offers-new-ipad-to-schools-and-education-customers-at-discounted-299

I can pull out many other examples where his arguments fell flat. Unfortunately No. One. Else. Is. Calling. Out. The. Hypocrisy.

They did not release a new low cost iPad. They refreshed their current iPad and didn’t raid the price. DED was right. The pundits were hoping for a $250 Joan’s and when they didn’t get it they castigated Apple. The week before the announcement I was able to purchase the iPad for my school at the same price I can today. Also, if you’ll actually read what you quoted he mentions the most obvious next step for this iPad being Pencil support, which is EXACTLY what we got. Your quote defeats your own argument. 
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 64
    sfolaxsfolax Posts: 49member
    Daniel needs to stick to tech.  He just doesn't understand marketing.  Or, more correctly, he pretends that it either doesn't exist or has no impact.

1)  Establishing a comfort level with school admins with their products as well as indoctrinating kids with their products and ecosystem.   How many grade schoolers now have Google IDs and familiarity with Google Docs and other ecosystem products -- but not with Apple?

2)  In education Google's product is the kid and his data.  And Google is cleaning house there...

Daniel assumes that superior technology will always win out over marketing strategies and proclaims that it is "proven".  Actually, nothing could be further from the truth.   If it were, everybody would be running either MacOS or OS2 instead of Windows today.  But, despite being superior technologies, both got beat and stayed beat.  

There he was saying that the iPad doesn't need a camera, and why it will never get one as you won't be able to do video calls with it.

Not saying he should stop posting, but he needs to understand that people are going to question him. That's when a track record and facts need to be brought up. 
    elijahgmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 64
    sfolax said:
    sfolax said:
    "April Fools" then continues to post links to his own previous articles. DED, you need to relax a little and stop being so defensive on everything.
    How many times does this have to be said? No. One. Else. Is. Calling. Out. The. Media. The whole point of DED articles is to defend against what no one else (except the Macalope) will call out as the preposterousness that it is. The whole point of the article is to be defensive, because most normal tech media attacks Apple all the time and builds up these false narratives. 

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/03/24/editorial-bloomberg-spins-apples-event-as-a-desperate-blind-stab-for-cheap-ipads-in-education

"But of all the things Apple can outline in its education event, "new low-cost iPads" are the least likely to appear. Apple's historical move against cheap commodity has been to release a new leap in functional technology that makes its products more valuable at the same price point. The most obvious step is suggested by the calligraphy of the event's invite, which looks as if drawn by an Apple Pencil."

In fact even AI did an article about the lower price for students - https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/03/27/apple-offers-new-ipad-to-schools-and-education-customers-at-discounted-299

I can pull out many other examples where his arguments fell flat. Unfortunately No. One. Else. Is. Calling. Out. The. Hypocrisy.

First off, "defensive" is the wrong word. The article is an offensive attack on lies or just cliche narratives that aren't really accurate and create a false impression. Defensive would be making an excuse. You used the word defensive as part of your own cliche narrative that I write out of "fear" for a multibillion-dollar global company as if AppleInsider shifts international discourse. I write to be right. I've been pretty accurately covering the real trajectory of tech for almost 20 years. 

The previous article you cited actually took Mark Gurman to task for his Bloomberg article "Apple Tries to Win Back Students and Teachers With Low-Cost iPad," carrying water for Google's Chromebook dumping. Three years in, Chromebooks haven't budged an inch in the enterprise. They're still a K-12 phenomenon and growth has stopped. Are you defending that as accurate, because that's a stupid position to try to support. It is, however, the same delusional thing that tech media wonks were saying about Android tablets as I pointed out for years that iPads were gaining in enterprise use and getting real app support while Google just pushed for cheaper and cheaper commodity tablets that were really just big phones. When it tried to raise the price of its Nexus/Pixel tablet and copy iPad, it fell on its face and crawled out of tablets entirely. 

The 2018 iPad is not a low-cost iPad priced to compete with cheap Chromebooks. It is, as I wrote, inline with "Apple's historical move against cheap commodity," "to release a new leap in functional technology that makes its products more valuable at the same price point."

There is a new edu discount, but Apple didn't release the new refresh as a "low cost" effort but as a premium value-add with support for the $99 Apple Pencil from the high-end iPad Pro line (as I predicted as "the most obvious step is suggested by the calligraphy of the event's invite, which looks as if drawn by an Apple Pencil.")

So as presented, the 2018 iPad is actually significantly more expensive than the 2017 model. 

Also, the word "Hypocrisy" has a meaning. It's not just a general insult. Look it up.

Just a note. The EDU discount isn’t new. I could have purchased the “cheap” iPad for $299 the week before the event for our school.
    elijahg
  • Reply 27 of 64
    sfolax said:
    sfolax said:
    sfolax said:

First off, "defensive" is the wrong word. The article is an offensive attack on lies or just cliche narratives that aren't really accurate and create a false impression. Defensive would be making an excuse. You used the word defensive as part of your own cliche narrative that I write out of "fear" for a multibillion-dollar global company as if AppleInsider shifts international discourse. I write to be right. I've been pretty accurately covering the real trajectory of tech for almost 20 years. 

The previous article you cited actually took Mark Gurman to task for his Bloomberg article "Apple Tries to Win Back Students and Teachers With Low-Cost iPad," carrying water for Google's Chromebook dumping. Three years in, Chromebooks haven't budged an inch in the enterprise. They're still a K-12 phenomenon and growth has stopped. Are you defending that as accurate, because that's a stupid position to try to support. It is, however, the same delusional thing that tech media wonks were saying about Android tablets as I pointed out for years that iPads were gaining in enterprise use and getting real app support while Google just pushed for cheaper and cheaper commodity tablets that were really just big phones. When it tried to raise the price of its Nexus/Pixel tablet and copy iPad, it fell on its face and crawled out of tablets entirely. 

The 2018 iPad is not a low-cost iPad priced to compete with cheap Chromebooks. It is, as I wrote, inline with "Apple's historical move against cheap commodity," "to release a new leap in functional technology that makes its products more valuable at the same price point."

There is a new edu discount, but Apple didn't release the new refresh as a "low cost" effort but as a premium value-add with support for the $99 Apple Pencil from the high-end iPad Pro line (as I predicted as "the most obvious step is suggested by the calligraphy of the event's invite, which looks as if drawn by an Apple Pencil.")

So as presented, the 2018 iPad is actually significantly more expensive than the 2017 model. 

Also, the word "Hypocrisy" has a meaning. It's not just a general insult. Look it up.

Sorry man, that's a really cool story but even AI says the 2018 iPad is the Budget iPad.
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/03/31/this-week-on-ai-apples-budget-ipad-gets-the-pencil-apple-watch-rumors-ios-113-more

There are many other articles that does the same, done by other writers that come to a similar conclusion. But you state it's more expensive.
    So who is right?

Compared to other iPads it is a “budget” iPad. Compared to Chromebooks it’s expensive.
    dasanman69elijahgGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 28 of 64

Number one assumes the kids actually like using Google’s products. Among our small sample size of kids, they don’t like it, they just use it because it’s there, and administration essentially makes them use it.
    macxpresscornchipStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 64
    rcfa said:
    Microsoft‘s Surface Hardware is cool, and in several ways more interesting than Apple‘s offerings, same goes for some non-Apple Smartphones.

The Problem: they don’t run macOS respectively iOS. It’s the software that is key to the Apple user experience, and that often means biting the bullet of biting inferior, overpriced, misdirected hardware.

e.g. the stupid MacBook PRO, that maxes out at 16GB RAM and 2TB storage, when even Apple’s own MBP from a few years ago already had 16MB RAM, and can take 8TB SSD, as if real PRO users give a damn about how “thin” their stupid machines are; if they’ve did, they’d be in the market for MB Airs.

A pro user wants to see 32-64GB ECC RAM and 4+TB storage capacity, and slots for media cards without external periphery.

Apple still has not a single touch/pen enabled portable or desktop, requiring pro users buying expensive stuff like Wacom screens, etc.

But without the Apple software, none of the attractive hardware from other vendors is of interest.

The article makes the mistake to attribute the sales failures of these devices to the hardware, rather than to the abysmal operating systems found on these devices.
    Can I make an input here, as someone who's been a Mac tech for about two years now?

I can see 30+ machines a day. my store has contracts going back over a decade with big advertising firms and schools and everything else.

The number of these supremely decked out machines I see is miniscule. I almost never see 16+GB in machines that can take it, and I almost never see 4+ TB SSDs in machines that can handle it.

And when they are there, my personal notice is that a good majority are not being used very effectively - they're overbought machines by people with more money then sense. They just said "Give me the biggest/best/most expensive thing" then use it for Word and Bejeweled. 

I don't think in the age of cloud storage and efficient ram usage the fact that Macs have 16/2TB is hurting anyone significantly. I'm sure you know dozens of people who are just seething with rage that they can't produce render Toy Story 4 at Starbucks but in reality, that group is very, very small, and to be blunt, demanding and unprofitable. 

And I'm guessing you have never used consumer-grade pen input in a computer, because if you have, then you'd know why it belongs on Mobile devices. THere's nothing wrong with leaving high-end options to the third-party providers. 
    radarthekatGeorgeBMacmacxpressking editor the gratewatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 30 of 64
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Wow, this guy must be a blast at parties.
    elijahgrogerramjet
  • Reply 31 of 64
    sfolax said:
    You are aware that you are responding to a Google bot, with less than a dozen posts, aren't you?
    I've been reading DED articles here for more than 10 years now. If you care to look, only over the last couple of weeks, you could find anything about his rhetoric being defensive. That's the new "flawgic"—as DED himself likes to put it—from Apple haters and trolls.
    cornchipandrewj5790macxpressStrangeDayswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 32 of 64
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,305member
    Not all April Fool's jokes are bad. Foreign Policy has a truly great one this year: an article applying their usual insight and expertise to the "fact" that Wakanda is now a major player on the world stage, and what that means for future diplomacy and trade pacts. Brilliant.

As for the article above, IMHO it's a wash. Yes, the mainstream media and analysts often report on Apple unfairly, or without contextual understanding. This phenomenon is not unknown in the "Apple specialty sites," either, along with fantastically bad predictions and misleading rumour reporting.

But the charge that DED creates his own "false narrative" that is too defensively-biased in the other direction is not without merit, either. I think he often makes very good points, but he also washes them down with the Apple kool-aid fairly frequently.
    avon b7elijahgcecil444muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMacrogerramjet
  • Reply 33 of 64
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It's odd that people don't find voice assistants very compelling and yet (text) chat as an interface is expanding as discussed on AI last week. More similar than they are different I would have thought. 

The design idea of putting the GPU in the keyboard part of the laptop and the CPU in the screen part (Surface) really was innovative. The ability to separate the screen and use it as a tablet (2-in-1) might not be that compelling, but separating the two hottest components in to different parts of the clamshell did wonders for cool and quiet.
    edited April 2018 elijahg
  • Reply 34 of 64
    Hopefully everyone here can accept that Apple is neither invincible nor flawless. This is a fan blog; we love to cheer on Apple and  give them the benefit of doubt, but let’s not kid ourselves as to their faults and limitations. There are plenty in the media who love to criticize Apple (read literally ANYTHING written by those clickbait jokers at Forbes, UGH), but Apple also gets a ton of love...the tech media is not 99% out to get them. IMHO this article — both in tone and in content — offers far too much praise and not enough honest criticism. But it’s clearly an opinion piece. Most of AI’s reporting is more balanced this.
  • Reply 35 of 64
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    sfolax said:
    sfolax said:

No, Apple did exactly what he said they tend to do.  They released the pro technology at the entry price point, and that technology is exactly what he indicated the calligraphy of the event’s invite pointed to.  But I guess two people can read the same words and come to diametrically opposed conclusions.  
    edited April 2018 cornchipwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 36 of 64

sfolax said:
    sfolax said:
    sfolax said:

Sorry man, that's a really cool story but even AI says the 2018 iPad is the Budget iPad.
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/03/31/this-week-on-ai-apples-budget-ipad-gets-the-pencil-apple-watch-rumors-ios-113-more

There are many other articles that does the same, done by other writers that come to a similar conclusion. But you state it's more expensive.
    So who is right?

There’s no conflict with the 2018 iPad being a budget iPad and bringing pro technology to the same price point as last year’s lowest price full-size iPad.  A BMW i3 could be described as a budget BMW, but it’s not what you’d call abudget car when compared to the wider universe of available car models from all vendors.  And the 2018 iPad is not what I’d call a budget tablet.  But it is abudget iPad.  Satisfied?
    cornchipGeorgeBMacStrangeDayswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 37 of 64

Hmm, Apple = tech company pulling in the biggest pile of profit among all tech companies, in the range of $40-50 billion per year for the last bunch of years.  Seems like either Apple has superior technology or superior marketing, or both.  By the way, technology isn’t either hardware or software.  Apple doesn’t have to win in one or the other.  It’s the combination of both, and Apple controlling more and more of the technology stack, that defines technology in this context.  And Aaple is clearly winning.  Unit volumes and overall market share are the arguments of those who don’t understand what’s going on.  

Apple is a platform creating monster that’s becoming the de facto standard where it counts, and not concerned so much about the hundreds of millions of users just using a smartphone for Facebook and texting who I pass every day here in the developing world.  That market, as Cook pointed out, is the training ground for iOS.  
    macxpressStrangeDayswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 38 of 64
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,250member
    Sour. Very sour.
  • Reply 39 of 64
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

How about some humorous April fools gags?

edited April 2018 king editor the gratefastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 64
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    cecil444 said:
    Hopefully everyone here can accept that Apple is neither invincible nor flawless. This is a fan blog; we love to cheer on Apple and  give them the benefit of doubt, but let’s not kid ourselves as to their faults and limitations. There are plenty in the media who love to criticize Apple (read literally ANYTHING written by those clickbait jokers at Forbes, UGH), but Apple also gets a ton of love...the tech media is not 99% out to get them. IMHO this article — both in tone and in content — offers far too much praise and not enough honest criticism. But it’s clearly an opinion piece. Most of AI’s reporting is more balanced this.
    They're not out to "get them", they just use Apple as a lazy way to generate clicks, so no conspiracy, just greedy, lazy, mercenary capitalism utterly divorced from facts or reality.

They don't need facts or reality, they provide their own "reality" that only needs to stand a cursory examination and push the button of existing biases and triggers and to cash in.

Welcome to the post truth "journalism" (most sites are as far from traditional journalism as can be so I'm using this term derisively for sure).,
    edited April 2018 macxpressStrangeDayswatto_cobrajony0