Reported 2016 MacBook Pro graphics issues likely caused by third-party software [u]

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    avon b7 said:
    Firstly some context and perspective.

My reply was to your post, which in turn was to somebody else's which doubted Apple's levels of QA.

You attempted to counter that person's claim with a series of links. The first of those links contained zero substantiated information. Nothing tangible. I explained why that link was worthless.

Secondly, I was 'sorry' because I couldn't waste my time reading your other links because they might contain more unsubstantiated claims. If your first link was worthless (and I explained why) there wasn't much hope for the rest.

Thirdly, it is YOU who is countering the other person's claim. Therefore, it is YOU who must back up your claim, NOT ME.

Lastly, I have not doubted what you are saying, I have doubted how you are saying it and the logic behind it.

You speak of 'careless comment' but your reply contained a link to a 'conclusion' that wasn't substantiated in ANY shape or form. You speak of 'anecdotal' evidence but that is exactly what your link presented.

"You attempted to counter that person's claim with a series of links. The first of those links contained zero substantiated information. Nothing tangible. I explained why that link was worthless."

They're consumer satisfaction reports. Consumer Reports, J.D. Power, The American Consumer Satisfaction Index, and more. Do you not know what these are? There is nothing to substantiate beside a determination as to whether their (separately or as a group) methods are sound. If you don't like one, pick another and then pay more attention to that one. It isn't difficult. You don't have to like them, but they're there, they say what they say, and most of them time their methods are laid bare or otherwise available on their site(s). 

"Secondly, I was 'sorry' because I couldn't waste my time reading your other links because they might contain more unsubstantiated claims. If your first link was worthless (and I explained why) there wasn't much hope for the rest."

State which link contained these "unsubstantiated claims", and why you think they're "unsubstantiated", and I'll address it right here. 

"Thirdly, it is YOU who is countering the other person's claim. Therefore, it is YOU who must back up your claim, NOT ME."

Next time stay out of it and you'll have saved yourself this discussion. You've made claims separate from the individual to whom I was originally replying and now we'll address them. I'm perfectly satisfied with the links I've posted. The onus is on you to state exactly why you're not. 

• Reply 62 of 72
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    From the FWIW department:

According to a purported email from Craig Federighi
    "We believe we have addressed all of these graphics issues in the latest beat of Sierra 10.12.2 (available at beta.apple.com).

I hope that you enjoy your new MacBook Pro — it’s a fantastic machine!

— craig"

• Reply 63 of 72
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,625member
    avon b7 said:

My reply was to your post, which in turn was to somebody else's which doubted Apple's levels of QA.

You attempted to counter that person's claim with a series of links. The first of those links contained zero substantiated information. Nothing tangible. I explained why that link was worthless.

Secondly, I was 'sorry' because I couldn't waste my time reading your other links because they might contain more unsubstantiated claims. If your first link was worthless (and I explained why) there wasn't much hope for the rest.

Thirdly, it is YOU who is countering the other person's claim. Therefore, it is YOU who must back up your claim, NOT ME.

Lastly, I have not doubted what you are saying, I have doubted how you are saying it and the logic behind it.

You speak of 'careless comment' but your reply contained a link to a 'conclusion' that wasn't substantiated in ANY shape or form. You speak of 'anecdotal' evidence but that is exactly what your link presented.

"You attempted to counter that person's claim with a series of links. The first of those links contained zero substantiated information. Nothing tangible. I explained why that link was worthless."

They're consumer satisfaction reports. Consumer Reports, J.D. Power, The American Consumer Satisfaction Index, and more. Do you not know what these are? There is nothing to substantiate beside a determination as to whether their (separately or as a group) methods are sound. If you don't like one, pick another and then pay more attention to that one. It isn't difficult. You don't have to like them, but they're there, they say what they say, and most of them time their methods are laid bare or otherwise available on their site(s). 

"Secondly, I was 'sorry' because I couldn't waste my time reading your other links because they might contain more unsubstantiated claims. If your first link was worthless (and I explained why) there wasn't much hope for the rest."

State which link contained these "unsubstantiated claims", and why you think they're "unsubstantiated", and I'll address it right here. 

"Thirdly, it is YOU who is countering the other person's claim. Therefore, it is YOU who must back up your claim, NOT ME."

Next time stay out of it and you'll have saved yourself this discussion. You've made claims separate from the individual to whom I was originally replying and now we'll address them. I'm perfectly satisfied with the links I've posted. The onus is on you to state exactly why you're not. 

"They're consumer satisfaction reports. Consumer Reports, J.D. Power, The American Consumer Satisfaction Index, and more. Do you not know what these are? "

This was your first link:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/macbook-leads-reliability-customer-satisfaction/

You posted a link to Digital Trends. How exactly am I to evaluate the claims if there is ZERO information in the link you provided to substantiate the claim.

As you have clearly read these reports, please give me the answers to the issues I raised in my first reply. If, on the other hand, you haven't actually read the report , you are more than simply rehashing information (which I have no problem with) but you are validating it without knowing the details (as you are using it to refute someone's claims).

"Next time stay out of it and you'll have saved yourself this discussion"

So now it's a private discussion? I think not. If you can't handle other people chiming in, you are debating these issues in the wrong place.
  • Reply 64 of 72
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

"They're consumer satisfaction reports. Consumer Reports, J.D. Power, The American Consumer Satisfaction Index, and more. Do you not know what these are? "

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/macbook-leads-reliability-customer-satisfaction/

You posted a link to Digital Trends. How exactly am I to evaluate the claims if there is ZERO information in the link you provided to substantiate the claim.

As you have clearly read these reports, please give me the answers to the issues I raised in my first reply. If, on the other hand, you haven't actually read the report , you are more than simply rehashing information (which I have no problem with) but you are validating it without knowing the details (as you are using it to refute someone's claims).

So now it's a private discussion? I think not. If you can't handle other people chiming in, you are debating these issues in the wrong place.

Digital Trends didn't DO the survey or assemble the report. They merely reported it. This should be obvious to anyone. 

They even declare it:

"A new survey carried out by Consumer Reports"   <------  From the first line of the article

You need to actually READ the article. Do you go around criticizing written matter without first reading it??

So then. FOLLOW what you've read. 

Unfortunately, the dufuses at DT didn't provide any links to the source, but that only means they didn't provide links to the source, and NOT that they are reporting incorrect/false information. 

This is where the reader is responsible for NOT being a dufus (like DT.)

You see "Consumer Reports" and you see DT's article date as late 2015, so you use the magical power of the Internet, and you LOOK UP that Consumer Reports report. 

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/laptops/LaptopReliability

"Apple’s laptops rank highest in reliability, according to the latest Consumer Reports survey, as they have in previous years. Our latest survey of more than 58,000 laptop owners also revealed how laptops tend to fail and what it costs to fix them."

If you require further details, you'll need a membership, and then sign in to view. 

I'm not sure what else you require. 
  • Reply 65 of 72
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,625member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

Digital Trends didn't DO the survey or assemble the report. They merely reported it. This should be obvious to anyone. 

They even declare it:

"A new survey carried out by Consumer Reports"   <------  From the first line of the article

You need to actually READ the article. Do you go around criticizing written matter without first reading it??

So then. FOLLOW what you've read. 

Unfortunately, the dufuses at DT didn't provide any links to the source, but that only means they didn't provide links to the source, and NOT that they are reporting incorrect/false information. 

This is where the reader is responsible for NOT being a dufus (like DT.)

You see "Consumer Reports" and you see DT's article date as late 2015, so you use the magical power of the Internet, and you LOOK UP that Consumer Reports report. 

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/laptops/LaptopReliability

"Apple’s laptops rank highest in reliability, according to the latest Consumer Reports survey, as they have in previous years. Our latest survey of more than 58,000 laptop owners also revealed how laptops tend to fail and what it costs to fix them."

If you require further details, you'll need a membership, and then sign in to view. 

I'm not sure what else you require. 
    Now you see my point. I KNOW DT didn't do the survey. That is my point. You linked to an article that supposedly supported your claims but in fact just rehashed the conclusions of somebody else's work. They didn't give ANY details beyond some very basic figures in a total lack of context or even a link to the report itself (paid or not).

Of course I read the article in its entirety and that is what provoked my original comments and questions. Questions that still have no answers because the only way to get those answers is from the report itself.

Re-read my original post and you will now see exactly what I mean.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 66 of 72
    xixoxixo Posts: 450member
    chasm22 said:

Yes, except if the patient is dead for 4 years it's probably a little late to consider revival. Many MBP's produced in 2011 had graphics problems related to hardware failure. It took Apple 4 years to offer a solution. Do you think the people who owned these defective units simply suspended their use of a laptop during this time? Or do you think they paid out of pocket for a repair? Or, and this is the one that really hurts, do you think they purchased another laptop? 

If they chose solution one, they simply lost time. Which is money if you're a professional using the MBP to accomplish work. You, at best, waited a week or so for your MBP to be repaired and returned.

If you were on a project where you were time constrained and needed, as many do, to be up and running ASAP you probably backed up your material and went to the Apple store and purchased another MBP. Money that won't be returned now or ever.

Four years later Apple offers to fix your broken MBP. Are you smiling and thinking 'cradle to grave'.  Or are thinking,  "Who cares I couldn't wait four weeks much less 4 years so I replaced/repaired on my own.  The lack of timeliness in your solution makes it barely qualify as a solution?" Hmm?

All part of the 'cradle to grave' you thought smart to bring up. 

If they would fix it if the customer paid, why did it take them 4 years to offer to fix it at their expense?

I was the victim of this, had to write off a $2600 15" MBP, sold for parts after many trips and repairs and no satisfaction.

Had mobo replaced under warranty (and great duress) but it failed 9 months later, out of warranty.

Apple then wanted $350 for out-of-warranty mobo replacement for the exact same issue, only 90 day warranty for repairs. so we decided it was a bad bet and sold laptop for $150 on eBay, three months later Apple announced the mobo replacement, too bad for us

a $2600 laptop that never ever worked as it should. what a joke.

Unlike others here, I was always made to feel that I was at fault and doing something wrong (I wasn't, finally failed completely when trying to upgrade to Yosemite), got total attitude from the Genius Bar in Colorado and Virginia on every single visit.

I would never buy a new model anything from Apple. Had the same experience with the iPhone 3Gs, two years of hassles with freezing overheating crashing rebooting before they finally took it back and gave a factory refurb replacement.

I've had Macs since '84 and have been used to much better treatment in the past, but hey, enhancing shareholder value at the expense of customer value, go for it...
    edited December 2016 avon b7
  • Reply 67 of 72
    reno said:
    Apple knows the problem has nothing to do with third party software.

My $4,300 MacBook Pro 15" 2.9GHz/2TB SSD/AMD Radeon Pro 460 exhibited the problem right out of the box.  The only software I ever installed was a macOS Sierra update and Xcode directly from the Mac App Store.

I've explained this to 3 different Apple techs during lengthy phone calls, and to 1 Apple "Genius" at the store where I returned the computer.
    I agreed pal.

I purchased the 13inch non touch bar for its battery life. Straight out of the box, I had the same disappointing screen flickering right from the moment I login to the desktop page. I got it replaced with another one which is fresh out of the box and it has the same problem. Thus I went to the place where I bought it and did a restart on their demo sets and they have the same problem. When I sent the second set to the Apple service centre, I was told they received another two MacBook Pro 15inch 2016 with the same problem.

My first set was bought in mid November 2016 and gotten the replacement set in end of November 2016. After 1.5 months has passed, spoken to 10 persons including a few Senior Apple Product Specialists from Apple hotline, few of them went "missing" and were uncontactable, the second set was still in Apple service centre. Software issue? Nah. Definitely Hardware issue. Either it's graphic card or the screen itself.

Should I allow my brand new laptop to be dismantled and replaced with a screen? Or ask for a brand new replacement that will most probably ends up with the same problem? Either way, it's gonna be a bad choice.

Conclusion:
    I shouldn't have bought this laptop in the first place.
    1.5 months passed and I haven get to touch the laptop. Seriously, Apple?
    avon b7
  • Reply 68 of 72
    YounessYouness Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Hello i'm having the same issue, it appears that the bug only show when the mac is in scaled resolution.
    I returned the mac and i've got the same issue with a brand new one .
    IF it's a hardware problem why it's only in scaled resolution ? 
    I think i will return the macbook again or should i wait an update ? 
    I'm very disappointed :neutral: 
  • Reply 69 of 72
    ZumbroZumbro Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    An undetermined number of 2016 MacBook Pro models are suffering from disturbing graphical rendering issues, with owners reporting full screen artifacts, screen tearing, flashing, random "glitches" and even system crashes. The issue, however, is related to overzealous third-party software and is not indicative of a critical hardware flaw.

Screen distortion on a 2016 13" MacBook Pro without Touch Bar. | Source: Apple Support Communities member JPL007

Reports of graphics related issues first surfaced shortly after the new MacBook Pro lineup arrived in customers' hands last month and have only increased in recent days. Apple's Support Communities website, for example, contains multiple posts (1, 2, 3, 4) from concerned owners of both 13- and 15-inch 2016 MacBook Pro variants.

Initial reports were unable to pin down a root cause of the errors, but sources familiar with matter informed AppleInsider that overaggressive or otherwise sloppy code distributed in third-party software is to blame. That said, a small number of users report seeing similar problems with Apple's own Photos app.

In a serious case chronicled by a MacRumors forum member Jan Becker, a new 15-inch MacBook Pro configured with an optional AMD Radeon Pro 460 GPU encountered trouble and ultimately crashed while transcoding video in Adobe Premiere Pro. Becker consequently took the machine into an Apple store for replacement.

The incident did not go unnoticed by Apple. Becker said he received a call from the company's headquarters in Cupertino, Calif., where a team of engineers asked him to help replicate the glitch over the phone and requested access to the affected laptop for further investigation.

Circumstantial evidence suggests 15-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models equipped with the Radeon Pro 460 are most impacted by offending software, which makes sense considering Apple's top-end machines are commonly used for computationally intensive video and image editing tasks. Identical reports of graphical maladies are cropping up from owners of 15-inch MacBook Pro models running standard AMD Radeon Pro 450 and AMD Radeon Pro 455 GPUs.

Perhaps most telling are similar issues seen in 13-inch MacBook Pro models, both with and without Touch Bar. Since the 13-inch variants rely on a different graphics processing system than their larger siblings, specifically Intel's integrated Iris graphics chips, the problem can likely chalked up to faulty software.

Update: Apple has informed us that users experiencing the graphical distortions elsewhere than un-updated software should contact Apple support or make a Genius Bar appointment for case documentation.
    Premiere has been my editing app for 3 years. In November 2016  I bought a 15" MacBook Pro with the Radeon Pro 460 graphics card. Almost immediately I started having crashes using Premiere. Apple had me do some resets - Pram and something else and it settled down for a short while, but then continued to crash, ending up crashing every time I played a clip. When the the computer crashed I got the green checker box freeze with red flashes. The computer was replaced by Apple. Now the same crashes have started to happen on the new machine. I have contacted Apple and Adobe. Apple has made no suggestions. Adobe had me reinstall the app, but it is still crashing. The new computer has crashed 4 times during 5 hours of work. When I got the first machine in November I did a fresh install. I have little else installed on the machine other than the essential Creative Cloud app and no 3rd party apps or LUTs. I did migrate to the replacement machine. I am forced to return to my 3 year old MacBook Pro which works just fine. The new MBP will go back and it's unlikely I will buy another at this point. 
  • Reply 70 of 72
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Zumbro said:
    An undetermined number of 2016 MacBook Pro models are suffering from disturbing graphical rendering issues, with owners reporting full screen artifacts, screen tearing, flashing, random "glitches" and even system crashes. The issue, however, is related to overzealous third-party software and is not indicative of a critical hardware flaw.

Screen distortion on a 2016 13" MacBook Pro without Touch Bar. | Source: Apple Support Communities member JPL007

Reports of graphics related issues first surfaced shortly after the new MacBook Pro lineup arrived in customers' hands last month and have only increased in recent days. Apple's Support Communities website, for example, contains multiple posts (1, 2, 3, 4) from concerned owners of both 13- and 15-inch 2016 MacBook Pro variants.

Initial reports were unable to pin down a root cause of the errors, but sources familiar with matter informed AppleInsider that overaggressive or otherwise sloppy code distributed in third-party software is to blame. That said, a small number of users report seeing similar problems with Apple's own Photos app.

In a serious case chronicled by a MacRumors forum member Jan Becker, a new 15-inch MacBook Pro configured with an optional AMD Radeon Pro 460 GPU encountered trouble and ultimately crashed while transcoding video in Adobe Premiere Pro. Becker consequently took the machine into an Apple store for replacement.

The incident did not go unnoticed by Apple. Becker said he received a call from the company's headquarters in Cupertino, Calif., where a team of engineers asked him to help replicate the glitch over the phone and requested access to the affected laptop for further investigation.

Circumstantial evidence suggests 15-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models equipped with the Radeon Pro 460 are most impacted by offending software, which makes sense considering Apple's top-end machines are commonly used for computationally intensive video and image editing tasks. Identical reports of graphical maladies are cropping up from owners of 15-inch MacBook Pro models running standard AMD Radeon Pro 450 and AMD Radeon Pro 455 GPUs.

Perhaps most telling are similar issues seen in 13-inch MacBook Pro models, both with and without Touch Bar. Since the 13-inch variants rely on a different graphics processing system than their larger siblings, specifically Intel's integrated Iris graphics chips, the problem can likely chalked up to faulty software.

Update: Apple has informed us that users experiencing the graphical distortions elsewhere than un-updated software should contact Apple support or make a Genius Bar appointment for case documentation.
    Premiere has been my editing app for 3 years. In November 2016  I bought a 15" MacBook Pro with the Radeon Pro 460 graphics card. Almost immediately I started having crashes using Premiere. Apple had me do some resets - Pram and something else and it settled down for a short while, but then continued to crash, ending up crashing every time I played a clip. When the the computer crashed I got the green checker box freeze with red flashes. The computer was replaced by Apple. Now the same crashes have started to happen on the new machine. I have contacted Apple and Adobe. Apple has made no suggestions. Adobe had me reinstall the app, but it is still crashing. The new computer has crashed 4 times during 5 hours of work. When I got the first machine in November I did a fresh install. I have little else installed on the machine other than the essential Creative Cloud app and no 3rd party apps or LUTs. I did migrate to the replacement machine. I am forced to return to my 3 year old MacBook Pro which works just fine. The new MBP will go back and it's unlikely I will buy another at this point. 
    The laptops have two graphics chips in them. One thing to try would be forcing either one of them on all the time. There's a piece of software here that should help with this:

https://gfx.io

If the dedicated AMD GPU is messing up, the machine can work on the Intel graphics. If the problem is arising from the computer switching from one GPU to the other (it does this regularly to save battery life), forcing it to just use the AMD GPU all the time might prevent the artifacts appearing.
  • Reply 71 of 72
    WilsonLaidlawWilsonLaidlaw Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    It happened this morning on my brand new 15.4" MBP with Radeon Pro 450. Screen jumping, pixelating and going to a blank army green screen. I had to restart to make the MBP work at all. I just bought the new MBP last week to replace my 2012 rMBP, which in a perfect example of Murphy's Law, was dying with a GPU failure (frequent GPU Kernel Panic crashes). Not impressed to have this issue continue with a new £2.5K+ machine!
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 72 of 72
    YOU CANT BLAME 3RD PARTY SOFTWARE ON THIS ... NOT ANYMORE.

First off, This is NOT due to 3rd party software; That I can assure you. That is always the grab bag that most will always jump too to rule out there issue but that doesn't really get to the bottom of it; its more like trying to shove it under the rug and ignore it. I have been through to many MacBook Pro's all with 4 repairs each and then replacements from the apples store. They all surfaced the same issues out of the box , no user data, no 3rd party software. I just when into iTunes watched a trailer, and BAM the screen started to flicker, and after a while I recorded it with my phone so I could go back and analyze the frames and found that graphic distortion filled the whole screen in multiple  frames. (out of the box 13" & 15" MacBook Pro 2016 & 2017)  THIS ISSUE IS BIGGER THEN MOST REALIZE.

These issues ONLY occurs when "Automatic Graphic Switching" Is enabled using the integrated graphics (Intel), When turning off "Automatic Graphic Switching" one of these issues remains when using dedicated Radeon Pro Graphics which is the system performance hangs during normals desktops use, gameplay, watching movies (iTunes or Quicktime). The flickering display has occurred but is rarer to experience when using the higher end graphics, but have witnessed it a few times. 

Display Flickering — (Integrated Graphics only) 1
    Graphic Distortion — (Integrated Graphics only) 1
    Performance Hangs — (Both Integrated & Dedicated Graphics) 1
    Flash Storage Fails — (Integrated Graphics only) 2
    Display not working / Touch Bar On  — (Integrated Graphics only) 3
    Touch Bar not working / Display On — (Integrated Graphics only) 3

1 *Issues get worse after a SMC reset*
    2 *Issue caused by SMC reset*
    3 *Issue improved after SMC reset*

It should be a obvious note that a SMC reset is supposed to make things better not worse, in the case it is making things worse that spells for a more serious problem with the hardware. Which in this case has been proven over and over again. Despite the visual occurrences of all these issue do appear at random and can't really be resurfaced on demand all the time, there are many environment and instances where they are more likely to show up. 

One thing I have notice over and over again is that the GPU processor is always peaking over 100%, why idk especially when I am doing simple task on the desktop, or watching a movie, even if I was playing a game like shadow tactics that only recommend 2GB ram, and shouldnt been exceeding the GPU processor to over 100% like it is. something else is going on that shouldnt be, noting that nothing else is running in the background. I still believe there is some untold flaw in the intel CPU"s, given it is the brain it essential in one way or another is connected to all other parts of the hardware it needs to communicate with and I never thought intel chips and Mac hardware really played nice with each other. The only true way to rule out if its Intel or apple hardware at fault is until 2020/2021 when MacBooks are once again run by Apple Chips and ditch Intel, if we still have graphic distortion in the way I am then we can point the finger at apple, but right now there are way to many possibilities that it could be (Intel Chips? Apple Hardware? unstable macOS?) Who knows, but it DEFINITELY IS NOT 3rd party software.Yes, any software has the possibly of being faulty and cause of these issues, but when they can occur out of box, in a fresh installed OS, new user account with no data what ever. its all on the hardware or factory software. If its the intel chips we won't really no until 2019 when the Ice Lake chips are released in MacBook Pros in April 2019. regardless what the douce of the issue is, its gonna take time to rule it out. 

Also id like to point out when using software finally like games or movies (simple stuff):
    I have set all my games from the App Store to the lowest settings, and they still lag, and have performance hangs... how does that even make sense on a computer that has hardware that is 1/3 to 1/2 higher than the recommenced system requirements needed ??? 

all in all this shouldn't be happening on anyones $3300 - $3600+ laptops that are supposed to be top quality and high end.

edited July 2018