Blackmagic eGPU Pro offers Radeon RX Pro Vega 56 graphical boost to Thunderbolt 3 Macs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited October 2018
Apple has launched a new version of its eGPU enclosure that it developed with Blackmagicdesign to boost the graphical processing of Thunderbolt 3-equipped Macs, with the Blackmagic eGPU Pro boasting a new Radeon RX Vega 56 graphics card.

Blackmagic eGPU Pro beside a MacBook Pro
Blackmagic eGPU Pro beside a MacBook Pro

Appearing in the online Apple store, the Blackmagic eGPU Pro features the Radeon RX Vega 56 with 8 gigabytes of HBM2 memory. Using an all-in-one aluminum enclosure similar to the previous generation, the eGPU is able to accelerate games and graphics-intensive professional applications, with Apple suggesting it could also be used to enable virtual reality experiences.

Primarily connecting to its host Mac using Thunderbolt 3, the unit includes two Thunderbolt 3 ports in total, four USB 3 ports, one HDMI 2.0 port, and a DisplayPort 1.4 connection. The unit is also capable of 85 watts of power delivery, allowing it to recharge a connected MacBook Pro while providing extra graphical performance.

The unit weighs 9.92 pounds overall, and measures 6.96 inches wide and long, and 11.59 inches high. It is supplied with a 1.64-foot Thunderbolt 3 cable, as well as a power cable.

Shipping in late November, the Blackmagic eGPU Pro will cost $1,199.

The original Blackmagic eGPU is still available in the online Apple Store, equipped with a Radeon Pro 580 GPU and priced at $699.
fastasleep

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    Good stuff. I’m excited for this if it’s as quiet as the 580. 
  • Reply 2 of 8
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Christmas present to myself :smile: 
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Sooo did anyone else notice this (near bottom) press release from Apple this morning that MacBook Pro's will be seeing (available Nov 14th) new MacBook Pro graphics options that will bring powerful Radeon Pro Vega graphics to MacBook Pro for the first time. These new graphics options deliver up to 60 percent faster graphics performance for the most demanding video editing, 3D design and rendering workloads.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/10/all-new-macbook-air-takes-flight/

• Reply 4 of 8
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    emoeller said:
    Sooo did anyone else notice this (near bottom) press release from Apple this morning that MacBook Pro's will be seeing (available Nov 14th) new MacBook Pro graphics options that will bring powerful Radeon Pro Vega graphics to MacBook Pro for the first time. These new graphics options deliver up to 60 percent faster graphics performance for the most demanding video editing, 3D design and rendering workloads.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/10/all-new-macbook-air-takes-flight/

Might have, yes.

• Reply 5 of 8
    Geez, for $1100 for the eGPU...i am glad that i bought the iMac PRO (base model) for $4k new at local store (Microcenter).
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 6 of 8
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Madtiger said:
    Geez, for $1100 for the eGPU...i am glad that i bought the iMac PRO (base model) for $4k new at local store (Microcenter).
    It’s a high powered $500 board in an enclosure that can power it and keep it cool hopefully without sounding like a wind tunnel.

Yes, it’s a bit pricey but if your primary machine is a MacBookPro it’s still a half decent option assuming it’s quiet.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The main problem I found with the original Blackmagic eGPU (580) was that it was not compatible with the Boot Camp drivers. Yes, it is mainly intended as a compute box for the Mac side, but games are fun too. If there was one thing Blackmagic could do to sell more of these, it is work with Apple to get the Boot Camp drivers compatible.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    ascii said:
    The main problem I found with the original Blackmagic eGPU (580) was that it was not compatible with the Boot Camp drivers. Yes, it is mainly intended as a compute box for the Mac side, but games are fun too. If there was one thing Blackmagic could do to sell more of these, it is work with Apple to get the Boot Camp drivers compatible.
    I’m waiting to buy this once someone figures out if the Vive Pro will work on a Mac. Was supposed to be plug and play with Mojave and we haven’t heard anything about it. I just want VR on my new Mac like Apple promised.