iCloud for Windows updates to fix critical issues with Windows 10 October update

Posted:
in iCloud
A fresh version of iCloud for Windows, 7.8.1, is now available from Apple, and appears to solve serious compatibility problems with Microsoft's October 2018 update for Windows 10.

iCloud logo

Earlier this month Microsoft took the unusual step of blocking iCloud users from upgrading to the latest version of Windows, as people were encountering problems syncing or updating items like photos and Shared Albums. Those trying to do a fresh install of iCloud after updating Windows ran into error messages.

Apple doesn't mention the fix in its release notes, but a support page now lists iCloud as compatible with "Windows 7 or later." Previously the company specified "Windows 7 through Windows 10 April 2018 Update."

iCloud for Windows lets users manage settings and sync for photos, Web bookmarks, and Outlook data such as mail, contacts, and calendars. It's also a convenient way of keeping track of storage, giving a glimpse not just of overall usage but which apps are consuming the most space.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    They can keep fixing iCloud for Windows, but Windows is still Windows.
    lkruppcornchipracerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Not Microsoft's fault if Apple can't code for Windows, though. This along with the noticeably poor quality of iTunes for Windows gives a really bad impression of Apple to non-Apple users, sadly.
    PetrolDaveGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Not Microsoft's fault if Apple can't code for Windows, though. This along with the noticeably poor quality of iTunes for Windows gives a really bad impression of Apple to non-Apple users, sadly.
    If you look up reviews for the October update on windows 10 itself, you might come to the sad conclusion that Microsoft can’t code for Windows. 
    bestkeptsecretPetrolDaveracerhomie3lkruppcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    The effect of using Apple’s windows software on Windows is akin to throwing a spent match onto a nuclear fire that’s already been burning uncontrollably for 33 years. 

True, Apple writes lousy Windows software, but so does Microsoft – though that’s no excuse. 
    edited November 2018 willcropointPetrolDaveracerhomie3lkruppcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Rayz2016 said:
    The effect of using Apple’s windows software on Windows is akin to throwing a spent match onto a nuclear fire that’s already been burning uncontrollably for 33 years. 

True, Apple writes lousy Windows software, but so does Microsoft – though that’s no excuse. 
    Truer words never spoken. Here’s just a sample of Microsoft’s software on my iMac

Word - 2.23GB

Excel - 1.75GB

PowerPoint - 1.63GB

Outlook - 2.06GB

That’s almost 8GB of space for only four apps. If that’s not horrendous bloat I don't know what is. No wonder it takes so long for an Office app to open.

edited November 2018 Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Apple and Microsoft are both prone to errors which need fixing, it’s true. And bloat is a well known problem with legacy software that need to maintain compatibility across a billion user scenarios. Could Office be better on Mac? Undoubtedly. Are you still using it? Apparently yes. 

In comparison, iTunes on Windows has suffered extensive brokenness you may not even believe. Graphics rendering in ways that made artist photos look horrific. Buttons rendering unpredictable distances away from where a user needed to click to press them. Database problems, slowdowns and memory leaks galore. You might dislike Windows in general, but Apple has been making Windows software worse than anyone else I’ve seen. 

I don’t think it’s because Apple are stupid or don’t care. I suspect it’s because they hack around Windows in the belief they can do better than other programmers. This sort of thing gets exposed when an update breaks a workaround, if it wasn’t already a problem for user scenarios Apple didn’t test. 

In any case, it’s annoying to consumers, and there are better ways to work!
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Apple and Microsoft are both prone to errors which need fixing, it’s true. And bloat is a well known problem with legacy software that need to maintain compatibility across a billion user scenarios. Could Office be better on Mac? Undoubtedly. Are you still using it? Apparently yes. 
    Actually no, I don't. I switched to LibreOffice for the Mac.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    lkrupp said:
    Rayz2016 said:

Truer words never spoken. Here’s just a sample of Microsoft’s software on my iMac

Word - 2.23GB

Excel - 1.75GB

PowerPoint - 1.63GB

Outlook - 2.06GB

That’s almost 8GB of space for only four apps. If that’s not horrendous bloat I don't know what is. No wonder it takes so long for an Office app to open.

The thing to bear in mind is that Office is not actually an application suite. It's pretty much an operating system in its own right.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Rayz2016 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Rayz2016 said:

Word - 2.23GB

Excel - 1.75GB

PowerPoint - 1.63GB

Outlook - 2.06GB

The thing to bear in mind is that Office is not actually an application suite. It's pretty much an operating system in its own right.
    I don’t know enough about the codes & such to be able to make heads or tails of that statement.