Apple kills Google's enterprise development certificate because of Screenwise Meter

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2019
Apple on Thursday took action against Google for violating terms of its developer agreement, and has rescinded the search giant's enterprise development certificate like it did when Facebook was caught doing much the same.

Google Screenwise (via TechCrunch)
Google Screenwise | Source: TechCrunch

The move by Apple does the same thing to Google as what happened to Facebook as a result of its violation of the terms of the developer certificate. Now, both companies can no longer run or execute internal apps on iOS devices, in this case designed for inside Google's walls.

The company used the same certificate that Apple has revoked to distribute the Screenwise Meter app. Much like the Facebook Research app that earned Facebook an enterprise certificate ban yesterday, Screenwise Meter handed out gift cards in exchange for Google monitoring a user's web traffic and data by installing a VPN app. Just as with Facebook's app, Screenwise Meter is sideloaded onto the iOS device with an Enterprise Certificate.

The difference between Facebook and Google's approaches was that Facebook was shut down by Apple before it had a chance to shut the service down itself, and Google shut down Screenwise Meter before Apple had the chance. Additionally, Google apologized explicitly to users, and Facebook did not.

Google issued the apology on Wednesday.
The Screenwise Meter iOS app should not have operated under Apple's developer enterprise program. This was a mistake, and we apologize.

We have disabled this app on iOS devices. This app is completely voluntary and always has been. We've been upfront with users about the way that we use their data in this app, we have no access to encrypted data in apps and on devices, and users can opt out of the program at any time.
Sources inside Apple corporate not authorized to speak on behalf of the company told AppleInsider on Wednesday that Google's action was "being talked about today upstairs" referring to conversation by executives. The certificate revocation was executed at around 3:30 p.m. Eastern Time, according to our sources inside both Apple and Google.

Similarly to Facebook, apps impacted inside Google are all versions of consumer apps in testing, carpooling coordination, internal messaging services, and a few others. Google is less impacted than Facebook, according to AppleInsider sources inside the search engine giant, because of the company's obvious Android focus.

Under Apple's rules, the Enterprise Developer Certificates are meant for use within a company and not for public usage. To push apps out to the public, developers must either put it through the App Store, which has stringent privacy rules that must be obeyed, or offer it as part of Apple's TestFlight beta program, though that has a maximum user count of 10,000.

Google has issued a statement to AppleInsider and other venues, saying that "we're working with Apple to fix a temporary disruption to some of our corporate iOS apps, which we expect will be resolved soon." Likewise, Apple in a statement to BuzzFeed's John Paczkowski said it is "working together with Google to help them reinstate their enterprise certificates very quickly."

Facebook's certificate revocation has not been restored, so it is unclear what timetable Google is expecting for recovery.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Let the war begin!!

I wonder if the media will have a frenzy over these scumbags like they did when 14 iPhones bent in 2014?
    lollivermagman1979agilealtitudeolswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 23
    I am soooooo sick of Data Miners .....Google and Facebook...they disgust me and should everyone else for their deplorable behavior . Data mining 13 yr olds for crying out loud...!!!!
    AppleExposedlollivermagman1979agilealtitudeolschasmmacseekermac_dogaaronkalbwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 23
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    I am soooooo sick of Data Miners .....Google and Facebook...they disgust me and should everyone else for their deplorable behavior . Data mining 13 yr olds for crying out loud...!!!!
    If I get free Apps and services I am fine with it.

• Reply 4 of 23
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Sucks to be them but they can only blame themselves. You fly too close to the sun, you're bound to get burned. 
    AppleExposedlollivermagman1979olswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Let the war begin!!

I wonder if the media will have a frenzy over these scumbags like they did when 14 iPhones bent in 2014?
    Im not saying the bendgate thing was as big as some made it out to be, but it was a heck of a lot more than 14 iPhones. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Let the war begin!!

Im not saying the bendgate thing was as big as some made it out to be, but it was a heck of a lot more than 14 iPhones. 
    It was 14 when it ran across media outlets the first time.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    Let the war begin!!

Careful what you wish for. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 23
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Let the war begin!!

The media is already skewering Apple for having too much power over Google and Facebook. One headline starts with “We should all be worried about how much power Apple has”. I kid you not. Google and Facebook blatantly violated the terms of their enterprise development certificate but Apple is portrayed as the evil one for kicking them in the balls for it. 
    magman1979tmayStrangeDaysolsAppleExposedcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 23
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    lkrupp said:
    Let the war begin!!

The media is already skewering Apple for having too much power over Google and Facebook. One headline starts with “We should all be worried about how much power Apple has”. I kid you not. Google and Facebook blatantly violated the terms of their enterprise development certificate but Apple is portrayed as the evil one for kicking them in the balls for it. 
    It's media's new mantra: if it's negative Apple news, it leads! 
    StrangeDaysmacseekerAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 23
    k2kw said:

My position is similar, though not as absolute. I'm okay with sharing some of my information in exchange for services, but I want to know WHAT I'm sharing, WHO has access to it, and HOW it's used. I want that information made easy to find and understand. I want controls that allow me to opt in and out of various forms of sharing easily without having to spend an hour digging through menus. I want to be confident that the bodies with which I share this information are not lying to me and/or sneaking around behind my back.

Under those conditions I'm willing to let them analyze my behaviour. Unfortunately Facebook and Google seem to think scumming is a better approach. I wish they didn't.
    chasmmpw_amherstMplsPagilealtitudemuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 23
    jungmark said:
    True.  Media outlets have learned any time you can put "Tesla" "Apple" or "Facebook" in a posting the clicks go exponential.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 23
    And now Apple confirmed to TechCrunch that they’re working to restore it quickly. So much for Apple bringing down the hammer.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    I’m glad Apple is applying equal (albeit light) punishment here. I am quite confident that the company is extracting very binding, very actionable new rules and promises from both FB and Google to prevent anything like this from ever happening again. I just hope that more of Google and Facebook users are now a little more woke than they used to be about how deep this lack of respect of privacy goes. I guarantee the US House of Representatives and other legislative bodies will take up legislation as a result of this.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 23
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    It’s not Data Mining. It’s Privacy Mining.  Disgusting?  It’s shameful and disgraceful!
    agilealtitudelinkmanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 23
    lkrupp said:
    Let the war begin!!

I had a feeling that would happen.

Imagine if it was Apple data mining teens? Remember "CelebGate"? The headlines read "Apple was hacked" even though the event included Google and Microsoft and no one was actually hacked.

jungmark said:
    True.  Media outlets have learned any time you can put "Tesla" "Apple" or "Facebook" in a posting the clicks go exponential.

But always negative against Apple.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 23
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    I like this. Apple just have to root all these diseases out.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 23
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    It appears both Facebook and Google have had their certificates restored? 
    edited January 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 23
    k2kw said:

My position is similar, though not as absolute. I'm okay with sharing some of my information in exchange for services, but I want to know WHAT I'm sharing, WHO has access to it, and HOW it's used. I want that information made easy to find and understand. I want controls that allow me to opt in and out of various forms of sharing easily without having to spend an hour digging through menus. I want to be confident that the bodies with which I share this information are not lying to me and/or sneaking around behind my back.

Under those conditions I'm willing to let them analyze my behaviour. Unfortunately Facebook and Google seem to think scumming is a better approach. I wish they didn't.
    Completely agree. I wonder if Apple fancies working with or buying DuckDuckGo to boost private searching and/or build in some of the personalised search of google but without selling on the user data?
    mobird
  • Reply 19 of 23
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    k2kw said:

The problem is, you don't know exactly how much data is being mined and what happens to the data afterwards.
    AppleExposedmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 23
    MplsP said:
    k2kw said:

The problem is, you don't know exactly how much data is being mined and what happens to the data afterwards.
    Hmmm...

1. 'Harvested' (5 septillion bytes, per day on everyone),

2. 'Distilled/refined'

and, 

3. 'Sold.'

4. 90% of all data harvested, has been harvested in the last two years.

5. The first three companies to acquire 1 billion users were Google, Facebook and Yahoo. Companies whose business model is to harvest personal data and the data of all your friends and sell it!

edited January 2019 AppleExposedwatto_cobraGaby