Samsung 4K and 8K televisions with AirPlay 2, iTunes Store support go on sale

Posted:
in General Discussion
Samsung has made its 2019 of 4K and 8K-resolution smart televisions available to purchase and pre-order, with the screen range notably featuring support for Apple's AirPlay 2 and access to iTunes Movies and TV Shows, allowing access to video content offered by Apple without requiring an Apple TV.

Samsung 65-inch Class Q900 2019 QLED Smart 8K UHD TV
Samsung 65-inch Class Q900 2019 QLED Smart 8K UHD TV

Originally announced at CES in January, the new range of televisions include a mix of QLED 4K and 8K-resolution models, with the 2019 QLED 4K line consisting of four series that span in size between 43 inches and 82 inches, while the 2019 QLED 8K line is made up of five televisions ranging from 65 inches to 98 inches.

A key addition to the 2019 releases is the ability to access iTunes Movies and TV Shows, marking one of the first instances where Apple has opened up the store to third-party hardware, excluding Windows PCs. Users can view their existing iTunes library and browse the iTunes Store to buy or rent new shows and movies, including 4K HDR movies, with the library and store also said to work seamlessly with Samsung's Smart TV services including the Universal Guide and Bixby.

Support for AirPlay 2, Apple's updated media protocol, is also included in the televisions, making it easier for users to play content from their Apple devices on the screens.

While the 2019 Smart TV models will have the support for both the iTunes Store and AirPlay 2 built in, 2018 models will also gain the features via a firmware update. The iTunes Movies and TV Shows app will be available in more than 100 countries, while AirPlay 2 support will be available to use in 190 countries.

The QLED 4K rage consists of the Q60, Q70, Q80, and Q90 ranges, with both the Q80 and Q90 offering "Ultra Viewing Angle" technology to allow for a vibrant picture regardless of the user's viewing position. The Q70, Q80, and Q90 also feature Direct Full Array technology, which uses concentrated zones of precision-controlled LEDs in the panel, allowing for higher levels of contrast.

All models feature a new Universal Guide, which combines content from multiple sources and uses AI to discover a user's favorite content from free and subscription-based sources. An updated Bixby, as well as upcoming support for Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, will enable users to vocally control their televisions.

The accompanying OneRemote adds to the voice command functionality by including a Far Field Voice Capability, allowing it to be used for verbal control even if placed on the other side of the room.

New Real Game Enhancer features include support for AMD Radeon Freesync and Game Motion Plus, to minimize tearing, stuttering, motion blur, and judder. An Auto Game Mode is also available to minimize input lag on compatible devices, with AI-based audio and video enhancements optimizing the settings to keep the sound and picture at their optimum during gameplay sessions.

Where to buy

Samsung authorized dealer B&H Photo is currently accepting preorders for Samsung's new 2019 QLED TVs. Prices start at $797.99 with free expedited shipping and no tax collected on orders shipped outside these states. Alternatively, shoppers can order select 2019 models from Samsung directly.

2019 Samsung QLED TVs

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    What a racket.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 2 of 24
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    I hope Samsung announces these at their event.

"We now support iTunes!!"
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 3 of 24
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,424member
    OLED still the TV beat in most scenarios in the home.   iTunes support is nice but you have most of that with platforms that support Movies Anywhere.    Sony 900f is a great value at $1600.   Samsung still doesn't seem to know what to do with SmartThings and Bixby. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 24
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I'm concerned about entering my iTunes credentials into a Samsung (or any other) TV.  Samsung has countless of times shows a complete disregard for security on just about every device that's connected to the Internet.  How do I know that Samsung will not store my AppleID in plain-text format, or upload it to their servers?  

Credit Card numbers are always being hacked from companies, AppleID may be next.
    StrangeDaysclaire1muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 24
    OLED still the TV beat in most scenarios in the home.   iTunes support is nice but you have most of that with platforms that support Movies Anywhere.    Sony 900f is a great value at $1600.   Samsung still doesn't seem to know what to do with SmartThings and Bixby. 
    Movies Anywhere is OK, I scanned all my DVDs (forgot the total number, 50-60) and 42 of them were supported by Vudu. Of those, 35 were supported by MA. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 24
    So many pixels but 99% of the content delivered is still 720p/1080p. Laughable.
    kitatitburnsideSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 24
    sflocal said:
    I'm concerned about entering my iTunes credentials into a Samsung (or any other) TV.  Samsung has countless of times shows a complete disregard for security on just about every device that's connected to the Internet.  How do I know that Samsung will not store my AppleID in plain-text format, or upload it to their servers?  

Credit Card numbers are always being hacked from companies, AppleID may be next.
    Two-Factor Authentication
    racerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 24
    sflocal said:

I’ve taken it to Google but can’t find a lot of high-profile security holes in Samsung stuff.  (Well, any more high-profile than others, Apple included.)  As a user of Samsung SmartThings, I’ll bite:  Can you point me to this info?
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 9 of 24
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    What a racket.
    I've never bought a Samesung anything but I'm interested in your comment. Would you care to elaborate?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 24
    I must be dumb, because I don't know which Mac video hardware supports 8K. Do any eGPUs support 8K?
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    I must be dumb, because I don't know which Mac video hardware supports 8K. Do any eGPUs support 8K?
    Not presently.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    My question is in regards to the Samsungs from 2017- namely MINE. Will I be able to directly access iTunes via an update, or will I have to continue streaming video using AirPlay?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 24
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    vonbrick said:
    sflocal said:

I’ve taken it to Google but can’t find a lot of high-profile security holes in Samsung stuff.  (Well, any more high-profile than others, Apple included.)  As a user of Samsung SmartThings, I’ll bite:  Can you point me to this info?
    Samsung Knox - Samsung's mose "secure" device ever:
    https://threatpost.com/nsa-approved-samsung-knox-stores-pin-in-cleartext/109018/

Samsung Refrigerators:
    https://www.networkworld.com/article/2976270/internet-of-things/smart-refrigerator-hack-exposes-gmail-login-credentials.html

TV's:
    https://www.cnet.com/news/samsungs-warning-our-smart-tvs-record-your-living-room-chatter/

Note: This are just links I grabbed that I recalled... there were plenty more that Samsung did that I just don't want to bother finding as there's enough out there and I have better things to do.

I don't trust Samsung to keep any password/credential safe.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 24

My next TV is going to be a Sony TV. I'm planning to turn off all the smarts on it.

I'm also considering a 4K projector.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 24
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    If the TV supports Airplay does it mean that I can stream all audio from the XBOX, Blu Ray Player, Satelite box etc to my HomePod's?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 24
    saarek said:
    If the TV supports Airplay does it mean that I can stream all audio from the XBOX, Blu Ray Player, Satelite box etc to my HomePod's?
    No. They are airplay targets, not broadcasters.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 24
    My question is in regards to the Samsungs from 2017- namely MINE. Will I be able to directly access iTunes via an update, or will I have to continue streaming video using AirPlay?
    I do not believe any 2017 Samsung models are getting the feature added.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 24
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    saarek said:
    No. They are airplay targets, not broadcasters.
    What a shame. I really want to use my HomePods as a replacement for a soundbar. Guess that's just not possible.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 24
    burnsideburnside Posts: 17unconfirmed, member
    Actual conversation:

Can we get the Super Bowl in 4k?

4k? We can't even get it in 1080p!

So why did you buy a 4k TV?

[ad plays for 8k TV]

ooh, I need one of those!

watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Where is anyone able to get 8K content? Maybe in Japan?
    watto_cobra