iPhone takes arrow intended for owner in Australian attack

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2019
The iPhone has likely saved another person's life through unconventional and expensive means, by protecting its owner from a flying arrow in an attack at his home in Australia on Wednesday.

(via NSW police)
The arrow and the iPhone, via NSW police

Richmond police officers were called out to a disturbance in Nimbin, northern New South Wales, following reports a man was shot at with a bow and arrow in his driveway. On Wednesday morning, a man allegedly waited for the victim to arrive, wielding the unusual weaponry.

The 43-year-old victim is said to have held up his iPhone to take a photograph of the assailant, who then took his shot at the homeowner, reports News.com.au. The arrow struck the iPhone, with the arrowhead partially passing through the device but ultimately embedding the ammunition.

A close-up of the iPhone shows how far the arrowhead penetrated (via NSW Police)
A close-up of the iPhone shows how far the arrowhead penetrated (via NSW Police)

The man did not require medical treatment, but it did leave a small laceration, likely caused when the iPhone hit the victim's chin. The assailant, said to be aged 39 and known to the home owner, was arrested at the scene by officers.

Charged with being armed with intent to commit an indictable offense, assault occasioning actual bodily harm, and malicious damage, the bow owner has been granted conditional bail and is set to appear in court on April 15.

While Apple does not advertise any of its products as being capable of providing physical security from projectiles, this is not the first time a person has escaped major harm thanks to the company's hardware. In 2017, a witness to a shooting at a Fort Lauderdale airport revealed a MacBook Pro in his backpack was hit by a stray bullet, one that could have caused serious injury.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member
    If it had been a Galaxy Note, that guy would be toast. 
    ravnorodomDanManTXStrangeDayschiaAppleExposedjas99lolliverwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 43
    The guy is out on bail? Seriously? The mind boggles.
    command_fdoozydozenjbdragonjas99netmagelolliveraaronsullivanjony0
  • Reply 3 of 43
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Yeah, that baffled us as well.
    command_fdoozydozenmuthuk_vanalingamchialolliver
  • Reply 4 of 43
    BxBornBxBorn Posts: 74member
    Clearly Australia needs better Bow and Arrow control laws...
    randominternetpersonmaltzdoozydozenmuthuk_vanalingamjbdragonviclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 43
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Definitely another reason to buy an iPhone, this could happen to any one of us any day at any time! ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 43
    dsddsd Posts: 186member
    I shot an arrow into the air
    and where it landed
    I know will not be covered
    by AppleCare.
    bestkeptsecretloopychewbadmonk
  • Reply 7 of 43
    Johan42Johan42 Posts: 163member
    It’s not the law that’s the problem, it’s the shitty judges.
    netmagelolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 43
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Was it a high-capacity quiver?
    jbdragonbadmonk
  • Reply 9 of 43
    If it had been a Galaxy Note, that guy would be toast. 
    In movie version, phone would be exploded and knocked down people several feet away.
    doozydozenchiawatto_cobrabadmonk
  • Reply 10 of 43
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    BxBorn said:
    Clearly Australia needs better Bow and Arrow control laws…
    Is death by arrow a common occurrence? How many mass shootings are there with arrows? How many suicides by bow and arrow are there? If the guy was using a firearm what is the likelihood that the victim would still be alive?
    edited March 2019 ricks1919muthuk_vanalingamchiatokyojimumontrosemacschasmlolliveraaronsullivanjony0
  • Reply 11 of 43
    tcphoto1@mac.com[email protected] Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Forget the Shot with an iPhone contest, this story alone should warrant an upgrade plus licensing fee from Apple.
    radarthekatDanManTXchiaviclauyyc
  • Reply 12 of 43
    BxBorn said:
    I guess it’s funny to joke about thousands of senseless deaths? 39,773 gun deaths in USA in 2017. That’s 4.54 people, every hour of every day of the year. I’m embarrassed for you. 
    mailmeoffersricks1919muthuk_vanalingamchiahcrefugeemontrosemacslolliver
  • Reply 13 of 43
    Johan42 said:
    Were you in the courtroom?  I believe in the US the vast majority of people awaiting trial are released on bail, including people charged with violent crimes.  Given that we don't hear daily outrages about people out on bail killing people the system works just fine.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Johan42 said:
    Were you in the courtroom?  I believe in the US the vast majority of people awaiting trial are released on bail, including people charged with violent crimes.  Given that we don't hear daily outrages about people out on bail killing people the system works just fine.
    That is true. You can post bail even for crimes such as attempted murder. I would imagine most people can't afford it though since bail is usually in the million dollar range for an offense like that. 
  • Reply 15 of 43
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    I’d advise to pay your debts in time, when you’re in shady business, instead of relying on Apple...
  • Reply 16 of 43
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    BxBorn said:
    I guess it’s funny to joke about thousands of senseless deaths? 39,773 gun deaths in USA in 2017. That’s 4.54 people, every hour of every day of the year. I’m embarrassed for you. 
    You can apply that exact same mentality with drunk drivers, yet here we are in 2019 and one can still walk right up to a bar and order a dry martini.  We should ban alcohol, cars, or both.
    mobirdjbdragon
  • Reply 17 of 43
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Soli said:
    BxBorn said:
    Is death by arrow a common occurrence? How many mass shootings are there with arrows? How many suicides by bow and arrow are there? If the guy was using a firearm what is the likelihood that the victim would still be alive?
    As i recall being told Robin Hood and his merry men were pretty good at shooting arrows accurately and quickly. Arrows were common in the middle ages. Suicide by arrow would be rather difficult.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 18 of 43
    Soli said:
    BxBorn said:
    Wooooooosh
  • Reply 19 of 43
    BxBorn said:
    Actually, this shows the futility of gun control laws.  Australia has them in abundance -- and still people find ways to (try to) kill each other.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 20 of 43
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    marklark said:
    BxBorn said:
    Actually, this shows the futility of gun control laws.  Australia has them in abundance -- and still people find ways to (try to) kill each other.
    So your claim is that Australia's gun laws aren't working because people will find other ways to attempt murder? If that lack of reasoning was meant to be sarcastic it would be hysterical, kinda like the old joke about how no one drives in NYC because there's too much traffic.
    radarthekatchiamontrosemacslolliverwatto_cobra