A public reluctant to use Apple Pay is being enticed by the Apple Card

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    I had only used Apple Pay once because I accidentally left my wallet at home and I needed gas badly at that moment. Credit cards are still my go-to payment method even my "Wallet" app has all the cards in there. This is more of a habit that I'm used to. Not to mention when pumping gas, who wants to walk all the way in the store just to use Apple Pay when the pump accepts only cards.
    More pumps are being modified to take payments right at the pump, including Apple Pay. This is starting to rollout at Costco gas pumps, for example.
    I've been curious about this for awhile - as I've begun to see wireless payment options on gas pumps.  How does it actually work, though?  I mean, in a typical ApplePay (or credit card) transaction, you pay *after* receiving  the product or service.  But on gas pumps, you need to authenticate - usually by sliding your cc - before you can even begin to pump.  Does an ApplePay accepting pump basically do two transactions?  One with "zero" amount to authenticate and then another once you've pumped?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 52
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 529member
    I do often use Apple Pay because I’m a geek and because I know it’s safer, but the truth is it’s easier and faster to just whip out my NFC credit card and tap it. 
  • Reply 23 of 52
    KwhemzKwhemz Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I use Apple pay regularly and even though it is transactions are more secure my Bank restricts the maximum amount for Apple pay to $100. That limits the usage of Apple pay to low value transactions. With the Apple card that limitation wouldn't be there and just for that I would subscribe to the new Apple Card.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 52
    tokyojimu said:
    I do often use Apple Pay because I’m a geek and because I know it’s safer, but the truth is it’s easier and faster to just whip out my NFC credit card and tap it. 
    I don’t understand this. Do you carry your credit card bare in your pocket or in a wallet? I usually use Apple Pay with my Apple Watch, which is already out, doesn’t need to be put away and only requires a quick double tap on the side button to activate. When I use my iPhone for Apple Pay there are still fewer steps required than if I used my credit card that’s in my wallet. That and it only works for me, unlike a credit card that works for whoever is carrying it, regardless of if it belongs to them or not.
    GeorgeBMaccornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 52

In terms of what customers find attractive in Apple Card, 31 percent felt the lack of fees was the best feature. As announced on Monday, there will not be any late, annual, international, or overlimit fees for the card, nor penalty interest for going over spending limits.
    Not an advantage for me. None of my credit cards have annual fees. I always schedule payments of the statement balances a few days before they're due so I never pay late fees or even interest. Living within my means means I never come anywhere near the crazy limits the banks give me. If I go overseas, I just use my Capital One cards, which have no international fees.

The one thing that I'm sure getting an Apple Card would do in my case is lower the average age of my credit lines, which would lower my credit score, something I've worked hard to get close to 840.
    GeorgeBMaclostkiwi
  • Reply 26 of 52
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member
    Poor critical analysis in the article.

"Despite the deep integration with the Wallet app, the management features of the card are less of a selling point than first thought. Only 7 percent thought the card's privacy and security features were the most important part,"

Just because something  is not the "MOST IMPORTANT" part doesn't mean it isn't an important selling feature.   I think the hundreds of dollars I will get back is actually more important, but just slightly so, than the privacy and security aspects, a huge selling feature.
    edited March 2019 randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 52
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I had only used Apple Pay once because I accidentally left my wallet at home and I needed gas badly at that moment. Credit cards are still my go-to payment method even my "Wallet" app has all the cards in there. This is more of a habit that I'm used to. Not to mention when pumping gas, who wants to walk all the way in the store just to use Apple Pay when the pump accepts only cards.
    Pumps at Sheetz (at leas the one I go to) accepts ApplePay.   Gas pumps are one of the most dangerous places to swipe a card.
    randominternetpersoncornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 52
    Pumps at Sheetz (at leas the one I go to) accepts ApplePay.   Gas pumps are one of the most dangerous places to swipe a card.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    tokyojimu said:
    I don’t understand this. Do you carry your credit card bare in your pocket or in a wallet? I usually use Apple Pay with my Apple Watch, which is already out, doesn’t need to be put away and only requires a quick double tap on the side button to activate. When I use my iPhone for Apple Pay there are still fewer steps required than if I used my credit card that’s in my wallet. That and it only works for me, unlike a credit card that works for whoever is carrying it, regardless of if it belongs to them or not.
    The exception is Costco.  You must have the card out just get in the store. At checkout, you hand the card to the checker so they can get your membership info. It is easier to to just slide the card across the terminal on its way back to your pocket.  Otherwise I use Applepay everywhere I can. 

When I can get my hands on an AppleCard, I suspect that workflow might change slightly.  
    edited March 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 52
    trumptman said:
    I love Apple Pay and use it whenever I can. I keep my bank card attached to my iPhone via a stick on pocket. I hate taking the card out and using it. I prefer just using Apple Pay.

That said.... I don't see why things like PINS or signatures should still be required when using Apple Pay. It takes away from the magic and seems antiquated and stupid. I mean if I've used my fingerprint or face to prove I am me, what the hell is a four digit number of signature that no one looks at or that isn't mine anyway (since it is on a 3 inch digital surface) would prove about me being me.

I wish there was some way Apple could force retailers to remove the requirement for a PIN or signature when using Apple Pay. That would dramatically increase adoption in my opinion. Watching people in front of you wave a watch or phone and then just move on while you take out a hunk of plastic and enter a five digit PIN are dramatically different experiences. Waving the watch and then waiting to enter the same PIN....not so dramatically different.
    Are you using credit or debit?   The only PIN I have ever given was for Debit -- which I haven't used in 10 years or more.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    This is so brilliant. I've been so frustrated with the lack of merchant adoption of Apple pay, but this should make up for it and then some. (It's still absurd that Apple says, what is it now, 80% adoption? Nope. Not in sit down restaurants, bars, most gas pumps, most supermarkets, home depot, lowes, etc.)

I will definitely be signing up, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Maybe for credit card whizzes it's not the best deal (so long as you don't care about privacy), but I'm guessing I'm in the majority: even as a pretty successful/resourceful person, I still have a lot of difficulty keeping up with all the details of credit card stuff, and I'm sure I'm getting ripped off.

Now, with people carrying their (freakin' awesome) Apple Card around with them, they're going to be asking merchants, "wait, is this a regular credit card or do you take Apple Pay (so I can get my 2%)."

In addition, putting the daily cash into the the Apple Pay Cash card will 1) make it very clear that they will be getting rewards (instead of it just being put back into the credit card balance with minimal psychological impact), 2) incentivize further Apple Pay use, and 3) incentivize more person to person transfers.

The more people use Apple Card/Pay/Cash the more influence Apple will have to convince banks/merchants to make the process even better (eg eliminate signing, pins, etc).

Win, win, win, win, win...
    edited March 2019 randominternetpersonlostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 52
    the monk said:
    tjwolf said:
    That 7 percent relates to the Apple Card, not ApplePay itself.  To be honest, the Apple Card doesn't really add all that much security over other credit cards - pretty much just "security by obscurity" (not printing card #, expiration date, and CVV on the physical card).  Every credit card added to Apple Wallet enjoys the same increased ApplePay security.
    Yes, but opinion stands. People don’t care about their personal and financial security when it comes to Apple Card or Apple Pay, which the article mentions, is slow to catch on. Yes, security no better than other chip credit cards. Keep in mind, chip credit cards has reduced in-store fraud for stores using chip readers. Online transactions is still a problem, but third party solutions like Albine Burr will help.
    For Online I try to use either PayPal or ApplePay.   Both shield my card info.
    lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 52
    kruegdude said:
    cornchip said:
    My friend has no trouble sticking her debit card into a gas pump (the largest source of scanners) -- but refuses to use ApplePay because she thinks it is too risky.   Nothing I have been able to say seems to convince her otherwise.

Apple has a mountain to climb.  
    ... She probably won't be convinced till her kids start using it and she looks old fashioned and foolish.
    Not only that. Many merchants mix up the idea that their NFC device would not take ApplePay, because they think that it is something that they have to get from Apple. In fact many merchants are not aware that their device can process contactless transactions. The thing is that where ever there is a contactless point of sale device, transactions through Apple, Android and Samsung Pay can be processed but many consumers and merchants aren’t aware. Also most people are looking for that Apple Pay sticker before they think to use it. But a contactless POS device is a contactless device. It doesn’t need a sticker from Apple, Android, or Samsung.

I for one, love Apple Pay. Weirdly, all my hipster co-workers (all of whom are iPhone users) think Apple Pay is "for old people". I don't get it. 

I wish I had kept track of how many times the person behind the counter exclaimed something to the effect "I didn't even know our system did that!". It is becoming less frequent though. It will catch on eventually. Like Steve said "death will take care of that.".
    All you need to do is convince one hipster co-worker to use it, the rest will fall in line. 
    Or, to totally blow their minds, use your Apple Watch....   Ding! -- Done!
    lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 52
    tjwolf said:
    More pumps are being modified to take payments right at the pump, including Apple Pay. This is starting to rollout at Costco gas pumps, for example.
    I've been curious about this for awhile - as I've begun to see wireless payment options on gas pumps.  How does it actually work, though?  I mean, in a typical ApplePay (or credit card) transaction, you pay *after* receiving  the product or service.  But on gas pumps, you need to authenticate - usually by sliding your cc - before you can even begin to pump.  Does an ApplePay accepting pump basically do two transactions?  One with "zero" amount to authenticate and then another once you've pumped?
    It works the same either way.
    My card sends me a text whenever it is used and, whether I use it for ApplePay or directly, I get a message:  "Transaction of $1.00 at Sheetz was made on March 26, 2019...."
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 52
    tokyojimu said:
    I find the exact oppsite.  Tapping my watch is not only far easier but takes 1/4 the time (or less) than a chip card.   "Ding!" and done...
    edited March 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 52
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    tjwolf said:
    I presume the series of two authentications would remain. First, swipe the Costco card then pay after.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    tjwolf said:
    I presume the series of two authentications would remain. First, swipe the Costco card then pay after.
    When I buy things at walgreens it goes very smoothly. Tap my watch the first time (no card selection needed), and my walgreens card is inputted automatically. Tap my watch the second time for the payment and it defaults to the default credit card. No physical cards needed. It's great.
    lostkiwiGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 52
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    tjwolf said:
    I wasn't really asking specific to Costco, even though the OP was.  If you went to gas station X and wanted to use ApplePay to pay for gas, how does that work?  With a regular credit card, the initial swipe serves as both the authentication (together with the zip code entered) and as the payment when you're done pumping gas (because the gas station has your CC data "in memory").  There's only one transaction with the CC company (although sometimes I also see an initial $1 tx as another poster pointed out).  But with ApplePay, the gas station can't keep anything in memory - it doesn't have any of my credit card data! and the token ApplePay uses for each tx is unique.  So how does it work under the covers, I wonder.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 52
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    In late 2017, I traveled to Easter Europe. They took Apple Pay/Apple Watch everywhere. 

The intellectual and business inertia in the US prevents it from making changes without being forced. Mostly, a bunch of old dogs. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 52

In terms of what customers find attractive in Apple Card, 31 percent felt the lack of fees was the best feature. As announced on Monday, there will not be any late, annual, international, or overlimit fees for the card, nor penalty interest for going over spending limits.
    Not an advantage for me. None of my credit cards have annual fees. I always schedule payments of the statement balances a few days before they're due so I never pay late fees or even interest. Living within my means means I never come anywhere near the crazy limits the banks give me. If I go overseas, I just use my Capital One cards, which have no international fees.

The one thing that I'm sure getting an Apple Card would do in my case is lower the average age of my credit lines, which would lower my credit score, something I've worked hard to get close to 840.
    There is not valedictorian awarded for perfect credit scores.  There is no practical difference between 820 and 850, so not applying for a new card because it may cause a slight temporary blip in your score is silly--unless your score is marginal and/or you're about to take out a huge loan or mortgage.
    watto_cobra