Apple denied dismissal of 'unwieldy' dust filter class action lawsuit

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    badmonk said:
    and the idea of an air filter in a computer is an asinine idea from an engineering perspective...the filter will clog up over time and create overheating issues.

Please if this is happening to any of you, the problem is your environment and you have larger issues.
    The idea that electronics suck air into and out of their cases without filters to stop particulate matter from entering the device is an asinine idea from an engineering perspective. The particulate matter builds up over time and creates overheating issues.
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 22 of 46
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member

Koh. 

Its all you you need to know. 

When end I first saw the judges comments, I couldn’t believe how childish, vindictive, and curt they are. Then I saw her name. Business as usual. 

Shes got a thing for Apple. I swear Federighi stood her up or something. 
    Some judges just don’t like dealing with corporate lawyer bullshit. Why does there have to be some kind of sexism angle to this to mock her?
    Rayermuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 23 of 46
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    I'm confused. Why would Apple be given requirements to choose 5 causes of action? It's the plaintiff who makes the initial claims; the defendant replies. The article does not say Apple is counter-suing. 

Koh's decision to force the case to be simplified is the right call -- 46 count complaint is an abuse of legal process. The judge does not want to go through each of the claims to decide which claims can be kept in, which dismissed, taking into account dependences among the claims. That's a waste of time and resources. Throwing as much shit as you can against the wall, seeing what sticks, is not how a plaintiff should put a case together. 

After the case is simplified, the Apple will again ask for dismissal of the claims. 
  • Reply 24 of 46
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    chasm said:
    Not really. She almost certainly would have ruled in Apple’s favour in the Apple-Qualcomm matter, given how she ruled in the FTC-Qualcomm lawsuit, and has ruled in Apple’s favour a number of times on matters big and small, including the two Apple-Samsung trials (though the awards were reduced later). She’s just a very no-nonsense judge who understands that juries generally have very limited technical knowledge, and demands that cases not try to win by “baffle em with BS” tactics. I’ve read a number of her rulings, and they’re very thorough and meticulous.
    +1
  • Reply 25 of 46
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    Not sure what caused the screen, but "slowdowns and crashes?"  I mean, no dust filter will work 100% and it's common to see heatsinks in a laptop covered up by dust.  You have to clean it years after, that's just the nature of a computer, especially actively cooled ones, with or without filters.  Heck, even the thermal grease dries out over time, then you'll just replace it.

Also, why just target machines made after 2013?  Earlier Macs don't have filters either (iFixit).

edited June 2019
  • Reply 26 of 46
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    chasm said:
    Not really. She almost certainly would have ruled in Apple’s favour in the Apple-Qualcomm matter, given how she ruled in the FTC-Qualcomm lawsuit, and has ruled in Apple’s favour a number of times on matters big and small, including the two Apple-Samsung trials (though the awards were reduced later). She’s just a very no-nonsense judge who understands that juries generally have very limited technical knowledge, and demands that cases not try to win by “baffle em with BS” tactics. I’ve read a number of her rulings, and they’re very thorough and meticulous.
    Incorrect.

You have zero idea how she would have ruled on Qualcomm. I think we both know it would not have been in Apple's favor. 

She was chiding Apple throughout the Samsung trial and begrudgingly had to listen to the jury's findings that Samsung was guilty of flagrantly copying. it was HER and not any jury that decided to make Samsung's penalty as small as possible - favoring Samsung. 

The snarky, antagonistic comments she makes directed at Apple in multiple cases shows through loud and clear - as does her affinity fo not allowing them to reap full benefits of decisions in their favor. 

• Reply 27 of 46
    I've never heard of or seen this issue. Since the glass sits on top of the display magnetically attached to the case, it doesn't sound like a display issue. If the glass is not properly seated or if the case were handled in a way that flexed the seating, I could see this happening. Easily fixed at home. Certainly not a meaningful design flaw.

edited June 2019
  • Reply 28 of 46
    chasm said:
    Incorrect.

You have zero idea how she would have ruled on Qualcomm. I think we both know it would not have been in Apple's favor. 

She was chiding Apple throughout the Samsung trial and begrudgingly had to listen to the jury's findings that Samsung was guilty of flagrantly copying. it was HER and not any jury that decided to make Samsung's penalty as small as possible - favoring Samsung. 

The snarky, antagonistic comments she makes directed at Apple in multiple cases shows through loud and clear - as does her affinity fo not allowing them to reap full benefits of decisions in their favor. 

I'm in agreement with Chasm.

You seem to be basing your entire "Koh is anti-Apple" opinion on a single case, the Samsung one. If you take time to look at her other rulings in other cases you'll find she sometimes comes down on Apple's side too. Just because Apple's arguments are not always found to be on the right side of the law does not mean she must then be biased not to find in their favor. 

In what other cases do you think she's shown this hate towards Apple you believe she has? 
  • Reply 29 of 46
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    dysamoria said:
    slurpy said:
    I've literally never heard of this, with the millions upon millions of Macs being sold. How many people did this affect? Like 5? Doesn't fucking sound like a design flaw if you don't have a reasonable percentage of consumers being affected by it. I've been using multiple Mac machines for more than a decade, and have never once experienced this issue, nor has anyone else I know. Funny how other tech companies don't get sued for real flaws in their products that actually affects a real percentage of their customers.
    Which would those be?
    AFAIK, there's no class-action suit over the current Dell XPS15 which is pretty messed up.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    dysamoria said:
    slurpy said:
    I've literally never heard of this, with the millions upon millions of Macs being sold. How many people did this affect? Like 5? Doesn't fucking sound like a design flaw if you don't have a reasonable percentage of consumers being affected by it. I've been using multiple Mac machines for more than a decade, and have never once experienced this issue, nor has anyone else I know. Funny how other tech companies don't get sued for real flaws in their products that actually affects a real percentage of their customers.
    Which would those be?
    AFAIK, there's no class-action suit over the current Dell XPS15 which is pretty messed up.
    Because no one cares if Dell or Microsoft fucks up the entire day. That's just how it works in Windoze world.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    Phobos7 said:
    Unbelievable, yet conceivable that Apple hasn’t addressed this “phenomenon” yet.
    They have. The 2017,2019 iMacs bond the cover glass to the monitor - I took one apart on my build to put a broken 2017 iMac 5k motherboard in a powermac G3 case. But the nature of an all-in-one thermal design means lots of air is flowing through the entire inside of the iMac including the monitor. All-in-ones just suck thermally and debris wise. That's why many of us just want a iMac priced mac desktop that we can open up clean out and upgrade once in awhile. But Tim would rather sell you a bundled $1000 monitor, camera and speakers and soldered on graphics chip that you don't want every 3-5 years.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    wlymwlym Posts: 102member
    Way more than 5 given the number of complaints I found when researching the problem which happened to my 2017 iMac a few weeks after the warranty expired. My office is a clean and smoke-free environment and it only took a year. I had a 1-year old, $4000 iMac with a faulty screen - unusable for professional retouching. Not ok. I've been using Macs for 25 years and I (and my friends, so there!) have had screens die, motherboard failures, DOA MacBook Airs (2018 model!) and hard drives die. You, your friends and your collective experience are not reliable indicators of how real a problem is or if it's worth forcing Apple to deal with it when they don't want to acknowledge it. I bet you'd be right on board if it affected you personally - or would you say "well, I've never heard of this problem before so I guess I won't expect Apple to fix it and I'll just shell out a thousand dollars for a new screen"?
    slurpy said:
  • Reply 33 of 46
    wlymwlym Posts: 102member
    I've never heard of or seen this issue. Since the glass sits on top of the display magnetically attached to the case, it doesn't sound like a display issue. If the glass is not properly seated or if the case were handled in a way that flexed the seating, I could see this happening. Easily fixed at home. Certainly not a meaningful design flaw.

You've never seen it yet you know just what's wrong and how to easily fix it, at home no less? The display panel needs to be replaced. The dust is inside the actual display panel, not between the glass and the panel itself. It cannot be (easily or otherwise) fixed at home or even at Apple. Apple replaces the whole monitor (when it's still covered, like mine was). 

"Since the glass sits on top of the display magnetically attached to the case"… not for years. It's glued down now (since 2012 maybe?). It's tricky to remove and you need to buy new adhesive strips to glue it back down.

Thanks for your expert opinion though.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    dysamoria said:
    slurpy said:
    Which would those be?
    There's apparently one in the works over battery swelling on the XPS 95xx series. I don't know that it's been filed yet but data and complainants are being gathered in preparation for one. 
  • Reply 35 of 46
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Is it just me, or do others want to chime in. I have been using desktop computers and laptops for DECADES (since 1984) and have NEVER used or seen a computer that has air filters!!!! And NEVER had a dust issue arise. That includes my Apples - the original Macintosh, MacBooks and iMacs. And my employer supplied machines which have included IBM, Dell, HP, eMachine, etc. This is a total bullshit suit, of course.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    wlym said:

You've never seen it yet you know just what's wrong and how to easily fix it, at home no less? The display panel needs to be replaced. The dust is inside the actual display panel, not between the glass and the panel itself. It cannot be (easily or otherwise) fixed at home or even at Apple. Apple replaces the whole monitor (when it's still covered, like mine was). 

"Since the glass sits on top of the display magnetically attached to the case"… not for years. It's glued down now (since 2012 maybe?). It's tricky to remove and you need to buy new adhesive strips to glue it back down.

Thanks for your expert opinion though.
    Depends on which iMac model we're talking about. I was obviously referencing earlier models since the displays are laminated now, I know because my display is laminated.

There are plenty of examples of this problem on the internet, but as is the case with these early models, it is something you can clean at home.

If you have dust in a laminated model, it sounds like the lamination was defective or failed due to stress, which allowed particles to get inside or maybe it's not actually dust. Does anyone know for sure? Seems unlikely. Just because it looks like dust, doesn't mean its dust.

In any case, the glass isn't simply "glued down" with "adhesive strips" to the display, the glass and the display are basically fused together, with "no air gap". Prior to 2012 the glass was separate from the screen, which obviously could allow dust to get in-between the glass and the display, but of course the glass was easy to remove since it was secured with magnets.

Thanks for your expert opinion though!

What is a laminated display?

https://essentialpicks.com/laminated-vs-non-laminated-display-tablet/

Advantages of laminated displays
    • Reduced thickness
    • Improves visual quality
    • No dusty screen
    • Reduced hollow sound
    • Pictures look painted on
    • Outdoors performance
    • No parallax

edited June 2019
  • Reply 37 of 46
    wlym said:
    Way more than 5 given the number of complaints I found when researching the problem which happened to my 2017 iMac a few weeks after the warranty expired. My office is a clean and smoke-free environment and it only took a year. I had a 1-year old, $4000 iMac with a faulty screen - unusable for professional retouching. Not ok. I've been using Macs for 25 years and I (and my friends, so there!) have had screens die, motherboard failures, DOA MacBook Airs (2018 model!) and hard drives die. You, your friends and your collective experience are not reliable indicators of how real a problem is or if it's worth forcing Apple to deal with it when they don't want to acknowledge it. I bet you'd be right on board if it affected you personally - or would you say "well, I've never heard of this problem before so I guess I won't expect Apple to fix it and I'll just shell out a thousand dollars for a new screen"?
    slurpy said:
    The vast majority of those complaints i'm seeing on the internet is from the models prior to the laminated versions. But it still doesn't see all that common.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,701member
    slurpy said:
    Most people don't even know where the air inlet is on iMac. When the dust is in, there is little you can do about it.

A removable filter would go a long way to improving the issue. My iMac 27 slow cooked itself to death because of thermal issues. As did many others. There were even claims from people asking for a repair extension programme for the late 2009 iMac due to heat related video card failures.

As for dust under the panel, when my HD was replaced under warranty, the disk itself was swapped out very quickly. The following 45 minutes were spent trying to get the glass plate back on without dust getting under it. And that was with the technician using Apple's own dust removal roller kit.
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 39 of 46
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,701member
    badmonk said:
    and the idea of an air filter in a computer is an asinine idea from an engineering perspective...the filter will clog up over time and create overheating issues.

Please if this is happening to any of you, the problem is your environment and you have larger issues.
    It isn't a question of larger issues. These machines are rated for temperature ranges but must also be functional in standard environments. Humans create dust, dust is in the environment. The more humans, animals, hairdryers etc the more dust you have floating around. If you happen to live in a hot, high  humidity, coastal area your problems get worse (sticky dust) but still well within standard operating parameters.

• Reply 40 of 46
    If you add a dust filter and forget to clean it, it will be months if not weeks before a failure occurs. Then the customer will realise their error after the computer fails, then takes it back to Apple expecting a free repair. A dust filter will also reduce airflow, even when clean, so the fan will have to run more, generating more noise and consuming more power, and reducing battery life in portables. All sorts of pitfalls.