Apple seeds fourth developer beta of macOS 10.15 Catalina

Posted:
in iOS edited July 2019
Apple on Tuesday has issued its fourth of developer beta for macOS 10.15 Catalina, with new developer releases of iOS 13 and the others still waiting in the wings.

iTunes in macOS Catalina is now Apple Music
iTunes in macOS Catalina is now Apple Music

The build can be downloaded by via the Apple Developer Center, or as an over-the-air update for hardware already using earlier beta builds. If Apple follows trends, public betas should arrive in the near future through the Beta Software Program website.

Today release arrives two weeks after the third developer seed. Apple originally announced the software at this June's WWDC, and will launch the finished versions this fall, presumably in time for new iPhones, iPads, and Macs.

Apple is also cracking on a second set of point-release betas, namely iOS 12.4, tvOS 12.4, watchOS 5.3, and macOS 10.14.6.

Both AppleInsider and Apple itself strongly recommend people avoid installing the betas on primary or "mission critical" devices, as there's the chance of data loss or other serious issues. Instead testers should install on secondary or non-essential devices, and make sure there are sufficient backups of important data before updating.

Find any changes in the new betas? Reach out to us on Twitter at @AppleInsider or @Andrew_OSU, or send Andrew an email at [email protected].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    melotronmelotron Posts: 12member
    The public beta is also out.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Does anyone have any idea as to what has changed from B2 -> B3?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mimsmims Posts: 24member
    Interesting warning on the public beta: "“Macintosh HD” contains files on the root of the volume. If you continue installation, these files will be deleted." Anyone else get the warning? Did it erase all the files? I've got a backup, but I'm not in the mood to do a restore today...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    milanpmilanp Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Doesn't seem it deleted anything. I no longer have the option to mirror to iPad. Even though in previous public beta it ended with error now I don't even have the option to try 😞
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Am I the only one who can't import JPEG photos into Photos any more?

I get a message that the file(s) can’t be imported because it may be an unrecognisable file format or doesn't contain valid data. All files are from my two cameras which have worked perfectly with Mojave but they're not recognised either directly off the SD card or copied.

• Reply 6 of 7
    Just to reply to my own message above I've found the solution, in case anyone else has the same problem. In Photos/Preferences/General deselect the box "Copy items to photos library".
  • Reply 7 of 7
    mims said:
    Interesting warning on the public beta: "“Macintosh HD” contains files on the root of the volume. If you continue installation, these files will be deleted." Anyone else get the warning? Did it erase all the files? I've got a backup, but I'm not in the mood to do a restore today...
    Previous betas moved them to a newly created folder.