Apple buys two Cupertino city center office buildings for $290M

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2019
Apple is continuing to cement its position as a major part of Cupertino, with the iPhone maker expanding its real estate portfolio with the purchase of two office buildings within the Cupertino City Center district for $290 million.

Image Credit: The Mercury News
Image Credit: The Mercury News/Google Maps

The two buildings, named Cupertino City Center 1 and Cupertino City Center 2, are located on the corner of Stevens Creek Boulevard and Torre Avenue, documents filed with the Santa Clara County Recorder's Office on Monday reveal. The buildings were bought for a total of $290 million, though the price of each individual building is currently not available.

The buildings offer space of 168,000 square feet and 146,000 square feet, The Mercury News reports. The City Center district, where the buildings are located, consists of a mix of residential property, along with other office buildings, restaurants and a hotel.

The purchases are a continuation of Apple's long-time association with Cupertino, with the company continuing to buy more property in the area to expand its operations. The most prominent property in Apple's portfolio is Apple Park, the company's headquarters, famous for its large "spaceship" ring-shaped building.

"Apple really like being in Cupertino, and this is a way for them to solidify their presence there," commented real estate firm Cushman & Wakefield executive managing director Eric Fox. Apple employs some 24,000 people in the city.

The vast amount of property Apple owns in Cupertino has led it to take part in a number of initiatives to improve the city. In April, the company proposed to pay $9.7 million to the city towards a selection of eco-friendly transportation projects across Cupertino, including bikeways and better sidewalks, shortly after the city agreed to delay tax changes that would have cost Apple $9 million.

Apple also owns property in Sunnyvale, and has 85 acres of land and buildings in north San Jose, among other locations.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    As I've asked so many times before, WTF do all these people at Apple do?   It's not like we've seen major software upgrades or a new major line of products.   Most enhancements have been largely incremental and IMO QA isn't what it once was.   Siri is still largely crap and they've had years to improve it.   

When we read specifics about particular teams, it seems like the tech teams are far smaller than one would expect especially consider the huge increases in staff.

So Apple has Apple Park, they still have the original Infinite Loop location, they haven't seemed to have moved out of all the random office space around those buildings when they originally said they would consolidate (correct)? and they've got Campus 3, north of Apple Park and that's aside from all the other server farms and offices in other parts of the country and now they need even more office space in Cupertino?

So unless Apple has a ton of people working on some very secret project, I'm puzzled as to why they need all this staff and all these facilities.  
    edited August 2019 zroger73
  • Reply 2 of 21
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    Can some please provide a link to google maps or google earth so I can click and find it?
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Can some please provide a link to google maps or google earth so I can click and find it?
    https://goo.gl/maps/e5BqXUwztPzneJEe9
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Actually, Apple has *tons* of office space in Cupertino. They're definitely not just in Apple Park and the Infinite Loop campus. If you ever drive around Cupertino, you'll see so many Apple logos outside of (seemingly) every office building that you'll think you're driving through apple orchards.
    chemengin1fastasleepapplesnorangesAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 21
    tdknoxtdknox Posts: 82member
    Apple has had offices in those building for years already.
    JWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 21
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    zoetmb said:
    As I've asked so many times before, WTF do all these people at Apple do?   It's not like we've seen major software upgrades or a new major line of products.   Most enhancements have been largely incremental and IMO QA isn't what it once was.   Siri is still largely crap and they've had years to improve it.   

When we read specifics about particular teams, it seems like the tech teams are far smaller than one would expect especially consider the huge increases in staff.

So Apple has Apple Park, they still have the original Infinite Loop location, they haven't seemed to have moved out of all the random office space around those buildings when they originally said they would consolidate (correct)? and they've got Campus 3, north of Apple Park and that's aside from all the other server farms and offices in other parts of the country and now they need even more office space in Cupertino?

So unless Apple has a ton of people working on some very secret project, I'm puzzled as to why they need all this staff and all these facilities.  

Seriously? IMO you're completely delusional. When you go from several hundred thousand lines of code to several million, shit's gonna get by. So while you may think QA isn't what it used to be, neither is the size and scope of what Apple does. As they expand, guess what, so will bugs and issues. In fact, the larger the project the harder it is to keep new issues from arising. Apple is actually doing an excellent job compared to how fast they're expanding.

Almost everything everyone does is incremental... that's how technology advances. You don't reinvent everything every time you want a new product. You advance it as much as you can until it can become something new.

And do you know seriously complicated machine learning, artificial intelligence, augmented reality, CPU/silicon design really are!? The size and scope of writing a modern operating system and ALL of its components, Siri being a teeny-tiny fraction of that. not to mention a new language, a brand new API, the developer tools for it. Andall of that is a small portion of what they do. 
    JWSCfastasleepSoliapplesnorangeskuraiAppleExposedwatto_cobracornchipjony0
  • Reply 7 of 21
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Actually, Apple has *tons* of office space in Cupertino. They're definitely not just in Apple Park and the Infinite Loop campus. If you ever drive around Cupertino, you'll see so many Apple logos outside of (seemingly) every office building that you'll think you're driving through apple orchards.

I think even before they built Apple Park, they leased or owned 40% of Cupertino's office space.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 21
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Apple should just buy Greenland. 
    JWSCapplesnorangesJFC_PArandominternetpersonspace2001kuraiAppleExposedwatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 9 of 21
    paxman said:
    LOL

Post of the day!

Unfortunately, they’ll have to wait a few decades for the ice to melt.  It’s not really green...

But, what an idea... a company buying a country.

For comparison: 
    The UK (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) is 242,495 sq km (93,628 sq mi). 
    England is 130,279 sq km (50,301 sq mi).
    The population of the UK is about 65.7 million. The population of 
    England is about 53 million

Greenland
    Area: 836,300 mi²
    Population: 56,171 (2017) 

I’m not sure even Apple could put Greenland on their Apple Card...

edited August 2019 watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    zoetmb said:

And this is why it’s important to stay in school. 🙄
    edited August 2019 seanismorrisfastasleepSolikuraiwatto_cobracornchipjony0
  • Reply 11 of 21
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    zoetmb said:

In other words, "How do the largest tech companies in the world operate? I don't understand any of this at all." Maybe start with Wikipedia?
    JFC_PAAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 21
    paxman said:
    Seems we are getting closer to Pixar’s WALL-E  where a company owned the earth. Oh the irony with Steve’s history with Pixar.  That, and the humans being unable to walk because they spent their entire time seated, interacting with video screens...  Just having some fun on a Tuesday afternoon... while I type on my Apple device. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 21
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    AppleInsider gave you the city and cross streets, not to mention pictures of what you're looking for.
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 21
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Actually when you subtract retail employment at over 500 stores, Apple seems leaner than Google, which has grown now to over 100,000 heads. Talent and motivation are key, I'd like to see Apple expand in Toronto. Biggest tech workforce in North America after Silicon Valley, NYC, and Washington DC, according to WSJ. Much cheaper and you spread the risk on ill-conceived worker immigration policies.
    applesnorangesrandominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 21
    The addresesses are:

20300 Stevens Creek Blvd
    20330 Stevens Creek Blvd

All 4 structures are included in the 2 buildings + a huge parking lot.
    Very nice property.  Almost as big as Infinite Loop.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Folio said:
    Actually when you subtract retail employment at over 500 stores, Apple seems leaner than Google, which has grown now to over 100,000 heads. Talent and motivation are key, I'd like to see Apple expand in Toronto. Biggest tech workforce in North America after Silicon Valley, NYC, and Washington DC, according to WSJ. Much cheaper and you spread the risk on ill-conceived worker immigration policies.
    Not to mention Toronto is such a great city...
    edited August 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 21
    paxman said:
    Why not California right away? lol Every bank would borrow money to Apple!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 21
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 427member
    zoetmb said:

Apple long long ago became a huge corporation with the inevitable bureaucracy along for the ride - you know .. managers managing managers.  Assuming they fill these two buildings bottom to top with Apple staff, then maybe it will be a new mega-department charged with figuring out WTF does everyone at Apple do :/
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 19 of 21
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    frantisek said:
    paxman said:
    Why not California right away? lol Every bank would borrow money to Apple!
    For starters, the GDP of Greenland is 1/1000th that of California. 
    AppleExposedfastasleepcornchip
  • Reply 20 of 21
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    zoetmb said:

Yeah not like Apple does that.....

paxman said:

Could be a joke but this would solve the problems of leaks and knockoffs coming to market so quickly.