New 'AirTag' screenshots reveal tweaked Find My app layout

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2020
Apple appears to be continuing work on Find My integration of its rumored "AirTag" trackers, according to a pair of newly leaked screenshots, suggesting the Tile-like device is nearing an official launch.

Image Credit: MacRumors
Image Credit: MacRumors

Apple has been working on a Tile-like wireless tracking, which we now believe to be named AirTags based off of a file in the iOS 13.2 AssetData folder.

Rumors of an Apple-produced tracker that works with the refreshed Find My app suggested Apple would move from just tracking lost Apple hardware, and into other items. "Tag" hardware references found in June first alluded to AirTags' existence, and hinted at adding Tile-like functionality to the app.

A MacRumors reader has discovered additional screenshots that show an updated AirTags section in Find My.

The screenshots show an updated Find My app with a bottom bar with "People," "Devices," "Items," and "Me." In the screenshots, the AirTags are still referred to by their codename, "B389."

Other screenshots show the AirTags setup process, which will consist of pulling the tab on the AirTag and bringing it within range of an iPhone.

These leaks suggest that AirTags could be coming soon, but it is not proof that they will. Back in September, the usually reliable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believed they would be released imminently.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    Find My app alone is much worse than Find My Friends app. I used to be able to find my wife by FMF in a mall but now I need to make a few calls more besides using FM.  Please add back the “reflash” button, it the new app becomes Find My History.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    AirTag has some very smart and simple engineering concepts. Amazing engineering Apple, well done!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    ivanh said:
    Find My app alone is much worse than Find My Friends app. I used to be able to find my wife by FMF in a mall but now I need to make a few calls more besides using FM.  Please add back the “reflash” button, it the new app becomes Find My History.
    What reflash button?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    leighrleighr Posts: 254member
    Hopefully they will be chargeable via lightning cable or USB-C. Continually replacing the batteries in my current Bluetooth finders gets. A bit annoying. ... thinking about it, they’re more likely to charge inductively - no ports that can get damaged etc.
    edited October 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    ivanh said:
    What reflash button?
    Refresh maybe? I’m thinking FM means f’n magic. At least that’s always what it meant to me. 😂
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I feel bad for the guys at Tile. They gave it their best shot I guess.  I got some of those in the funding round but they have never lived up to expectations.  First-generation had no battery replacement ability and the next generation do but they are not very useful.  I tried them in our luggage on a trip and was never able to track them once.  Hopefully, these new Apple AirTags are more responsive to being found.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    MacPro said:
    I feel bad for the guys at Tile. They gave it their best shot I guess.  I got some of those in the funding round but they have never lived up to expectations.  First-generation had no battery replacement ability and the next generation do but they are not very useful.  I tried them in our luggage on a trip and was never able to track them once.  Hopefully, these new Apple AirTags are more responsive to being found.
    they've still got Android?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    leighr said:
    Hopefully they will be chargeable via lightning cable or USB-C. Continually replacing the batteries in my current Bluetooth finders gets. A bit annoying. ... thinking about it, they’re more likely to charge inductively - no ports that can get damaged etc.
    Having to recharge once a month, maybe less SUCKS!!! Which is why I've always gone with TILES. The battery always lasted over a year in mine before they needed to be replaced. It wasn't to much money to replace, and you would have a new tile. Maybe new updated tile. Now I have this Tile Pro which I can now just replace the battery. It still will last for over a year. I don't have to think about having to charge it once again. Multi-Times a year.

Apple ones may not be any better. It's the range the Bluetooth. If you're out of range, you can make them beep, etc. You'll get the last location your phone knows about. Say you leave your keys at home and go someplace. It will show your keys still at home. If you put your tile in a suitcase you can track it until it's out of range. At that point you need other people that are also using tile to be in range of your tile to update it's location. That suitcase is moving all over the place out of your range. Now if your keys fell out of your pocket while hiking. Your phone would know where it was last at. You can then head back that direction until your in Bluetooth range and set off the beeper and be able to hear it and find it.

If you misplace your phone, you can use the tracker to make your phone make a noise to track it also. There's also geofencing. If you get to far away from your phone, or you get to far away from your keys the alarm will start going off. So you don't forget your phone or keys, leaving them someplace.

Now Apple could have an advantage if it was supported on all phones in iOS, maybe. In the U.S. at least 50% of the phones are iPhones. In other parts of the world it may be less useful. All those Android phones that can't report to Apple when it see's a Apple Tag. If Apple limits it to only supporting the iPhone 11 and newer because of the speical chip they have, that really puts a limit on other iPhones being able to report back for a number of years. I wouldn't jump onto Apple tags anytime soon.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    MacPro said:

My first experience with Tile was pretty bad.  A couple of generations ago they just had a bad design or so because they quickly went to the next generation that my wife and I were gifted for last Christmas and we found they worked much better.   That being said though ...across 3 cars and keys we had to have two separate Tile accounts and logins.  I could not find a clean way to manage everything under one account.  

Then Tile Premium came and addressed none of the issues that my household was facing.    I was hoping they were going to do something that TrackR tried to do and that was have a BT plugin device that gave you a better hint about the whereabouts of your lost device but instead Tile Premium delivers 

Smart Alerts -  Helping me not forget my stuff as I walk out of my home  is kind of your raison d'être  Tile.   
    Location History -  Again,  Find My Phone tells me where it last connected.   The goal is always to prevent loss and assist in finding lost items. 

When companies begin to wrap up features that should be standard features behind a premium paywall they deserve to have their lunch eaten.  When Apple comes out with AirTags as my Tiles wear out they'll be replaced.    I know that all of our stuff will be tracked under our Family Account and that eventually if not at launch we'll know exactly where in the house the missing item is.    For Mac and iOS users with recent hardware Tile will essentially be a non-starter.