Apple being sued because two-factor authentication on an iPhone or Mac takes too much time...

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 126
    Truthfully,  How do I join this lawsuit?  I paid all this money for my phone and i cannot turn off a feature that I do not want because two weeks past.  Who are these Nazis at Apple to decide for me that I cannot turn it off.  What happened to their open architecture system.  Time to switch to Android as Apple now is too controlling and should not have a say on what features i decide to turn off and on.   This two factor thing sucks and i have decided to move away from iPhones unless they scrap this horrible moronic way of forcing security which makes their product more painful than usable.  I predict that Apple will be the next Blackberry in 5 years if they do not get some creativity and empathy for their own customers.   Hey,  Apple, Blackberry are both fruits!  Coincidence? I think not.    
  • Reply 122 of 126
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    formosare said:
    Truthfully,  How do I join this lawsuit?  I paid all this money for my phone and i cannot turn off a feature that I do not want because two weeks past.  Who are these Nazis at Apple to decide for me that I cannot turn it off. ... 
    Yeah, if that is the case (and I think I heard it is), that is totally crazy. That, and the constant badgering to try and get people to enable it. It should let me know... I get to pick, end of story. And, if I enable it and then want to ditch it, I should be able to do that, too.
  • Reply 123 of 126
    mac_128 said:
    I don’t think this warrants a lawsuit, but let me tell you a story.

1. I sent my iPhone 6s in for a battery replacement.
    2. One day, I woke up and thought “I’m going to wipe my IPad clean”
         - Background: I actually do this several times a year, usually after a significant OS upgrade.  It also cleans of any games, junk, etc. that I    don’t really need.  I do this with the knowledge that I don’t use backup, but my contacts, calendar, shortcuts, passwords will sync back.  

I think you can see my problem.  My 6s has been gone 10 days at this point, and it took a full 2 weeks to get my phone back (bad Apple).

Anyways,  my wiped iPad boots up but I run into 2FA to set up the iPad.  I know everything I need to know (password to AppleID) but what I don’t have is my 6s.  (Apple sends the code to the 6s and there’s no alternative).

I also don’t know my email password because it’s saved in Keychain.

At this point, I also don’t know what happened to my phone.  It should be fixed (it was just a freakin battery) and as of the previous day I’d already reached the highest level of support. (There was no update on Apple’s site that they even received it).  The nice support lady, wanted to call me with an update... no phone.  So, we agreed on email... now no email.

Fortunately, I remembered that I removed the SIM card. So, I went to my T-mobile store and used a display phone to authenticate.  Got my IPad up and running and found my iPhone was found/done and being shipped back.

Moral of the story is 2FA is great, but I really want it tied to something other than Idevice, like a YubiKey.

So, the lawsuit isn’t entirely frivolous.  I also didn’t enable 2FA for my AppleID...  I do want 2FA to log into my devices, but that’s not currently an option.  I don’t care as much about my AppleID password it’s really really complex... as in come back in a few 100 million years (cracking it with today’s tech).
    That said, it was a real problem for a friend in Europe who had his phone stolen, bought a new one, but wasn’t able to activate it without 2FA. He had traveled with his Apple Watch but Apple didn’t allow 2FA to go to it, because it needed the phone to set it up. So he was unable to download his contacts and info. At some point, people need to be able to deal with these kinds of issues without traveling with an electronic arsenal. That’s where a simple dongle would be helpful.
    To me, complaints that 2FA is a fail because “what if you don’t have your other device?” is like complaining about computers not working when you don’t have electricity. 

What if you lost that dongle? It’s so small. 

• Reply 124 of 126
    DavidJA209DavidJA209 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    This Apple 2FA fucking sucks. My wife just got a new iPhone. She can't remember her password for her apple account. She doesn't own any other devices. She cannot install any apps on her new phone and is being told she has to wait 13 days. We're ready to throw this God piece of shit out the window and go back to Android. Fuck apple. 
  • Reply 125 of 126
    This Apple 2FA fucking sucks. My wife just got a new iPhone. She can't remember her password for her apple account. She doesn't own any other devices. She cannot install any apps on her new phone and is being told she has to wait 13 days. We're ready to throw this God piece of shit out the window and go back to Android. Fuck apple.
    Who is telling her to wait 13 days? Have you looked here?:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201487#help

The page linked above seems to have a lot of options. Hopefully something in there will work for you. So why blame Apple because of a forgotten password? Would you blame Google if you forgot your Android password?
  • Reply 126 of 126
    archieny said:
    I'm going to sue Apple for requiring my password to be too long. It's a major inconvenience on my life that I have to type a longer password than I want, even though I want a password, making it take an infinitesimally longer than it would if I had a smaller password!
    I once tried setting my password to penis, but it was too short.

roundaboutnow