Apple launches $350 iPad keyboard amid pandemic-fueled recession

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    dysamoria said:
    As an owner of the first generation iPad Pro, I have a need for a replacement keyboard soonish. The original keyboard is in poor shape because it was made badly (letters started rubbing off in the first three months and I stupidly didn’t take it right back to Apple when I first noticed). Plus, the behavior of the keyboard is getting worse and I’m not sure why.

It sure won’t be this new one because it’s not compatible with the original iPad Pro. Shocker. 

But also... that price. No way can I justify that. I’m still waiting for Apple to sell a non-thermally-throttled desktop computer that hobbyists and other non-plutocrats can afford. A 350$ keyboard with a new iPad Pro isn’t even pinging the needle on my “should I buy?” meter.
    As has been explained every time it comes up, most all laptops and desktops are thermally throttled. Intel processors in any computer get hot, and the computer adjusts down. It's not some grand Apple conspiracy to victimize you.

You will never get the MacPro at bargain bin prices. Try the new mini, or the wonderful iMacs. Loving my 2019.
    watto_cobrafastasleeptht
  • Reply 22 of 48

DAalseth said:
    First: I don’t know where you all are getting this $350 price, I’ve even seen some people claiming $399. I just went to appledotcom and checked and it is listed at $299. Still steep, but lets stick to facts here. 

Second: You know you all are going to talk yourself into a major economic disaster if you keep this up. I even read a comment about how the Magic Keyboard was stupid for Apple to release because we were entering the next Great Depression that would last ten years. That’s just dumb.  Yes we are in for a few months of rough waters. A lot of entertainment and tourism businesses and staff will have a rough go of it. But overall this is a short term, a few months at most, problem. By summer, August at the very outside things will be getting back to normal. I work for a manufacturing company. We are shipping industrial equipment at a record pace. All of our vendors are reporting the same thing. Grocers are saying over and over that there are enough foodstuffs, cleaning supplies, even TP in the warehouses and being made to meet everyone’s needs. Clear shelves right now are due to stupid people buying stuff for stupid reasons. Indeed, the only people getting severely impacted by this are those that rely on big crowds of people. OMG the NCAAs are cancelled, itls the end of the world. 

However, if everyone convinces themselves we are in the middle of a huge economic disaster, well they might just bring it on. Yes there are problems, but they are short term. This too shall pass. By this time next year we will look back on Covid-19 as an experience, but that’s all.
    You are wrong. Yes it does cost $299 for the 11" iPad, but the 12.9" iPad version does cost $349, which is close enough to $350 and will actually cost over $350 after you add in sales tax.
    Do most people have the 12.9" iPad? I have the 10.5 and will be upgrading to the 11". I would wager that the 11" composes the *majority* of the iPad Pro market, and the 12.9" the *minority*. In which case, it is misleading to throw around the top price rather than the price the majority of the people will spend for it ($300).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 48
    What a ridiculous beat up.  People can choose to buy this or not.  If you can't afford to buy this and toilet roll, I suggest you buy the toilet roll, it's entirely within your power.

In the meantime Apple are paying their closed store employees full pay through the crisis and should be applauded.
    mwhiteMisterKitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 48
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    DAalseth said:
    First: I don’t know where you all are getting this $350 price, I’ve even seen some people claiming $399. I just went to appledotcom and checked and it is listed at $299. Still steep, but lets stick to facts here. 

Second: You know you all are going to talk yourself into a major economic disaster if you keep this up. I even read a comment about how the Magic Keyboard was stupid for Apple to release because we were entering the next Great Depression that would last ten years. That’s just dumb.  Yes we are in for a few months of rough waters. A lot of entertainment and tourism businesses and staff will have a rough go of it. But overall this is a short term, a few months at most, problem. By summer, August at the very outside things will be getting back to normal. I work for a manufacturing company. We are shipping industrial equipment at a record pace. All of our vendors are reporting the same thing. Grocers are saying over and over that there are enough foodstuffs, cleaning supplies, even TP in the warehouses and being made to meet everyone’s needs. Clear shelves right now are due to stupid people buying stuff for stupid reasons. Indeed, the only people getting severely impacted by this are those that rely on big crowds of people. OMG the NCAAs are cancelled, itls the end of the world. 

However, if everyone convinces themselves we are in the middle of a huge economic disaster, well they might just bring it on. Yes there are problems, but they are short term. This too shall pass. By this time next year we will look back on Covid-19 as an experience, but that’s all.
    $299.99 for the 11-inch, $349.99 for the 12.9-inch.
    I'd like to know whether this trackpad have Force Touch technology, seems unlikely but want to make sure.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 48
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    A recession is 2 quarters of negative growth. Let’s not make up stuff “just because”. Leave the hype to FoxNews and CNN! https://www.learningmarkets.com/who-decides-when-we-are-in-a-recession/
    watto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 26 of 48
    stukestuke Posts: 122member
    I must say that Apple's approach to this touchscreen computing has been interesting.  Instead of doing what many started in the notebook/lapbook era, that is build down the capability of a MacBook, they started with a touchscreen device (a book reader!) and built up.  I think this new magic keyboard for the iPad, coupled with their decision to break away from iOS to iPadOS is an astonishing approach.

Regarding cost...nothing Apple has EVER done is cheap by comparison.  If you enjoy the flexibility that the iPad has offered for many years now, but are on the fence about upgrading to a new MacBook Air or Pro 13", you now have another option for a fast, powerful computing and entertainment device.  For $2k, you can get a 1TB iPad Pro with keyboard and you're surfing in the territory of the other traditional Mac notebook options.  More choice!

Kudos to Apple once again.
    mwhitewatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 48
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I think it’s pretty cool that they now have a real keyboard and trackpad... for an iPad! That’s a great start for this new category for Apple and there will be other manufacturers following.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 48
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member

No AppleInsider, full mouse and trackpad support does not ‘turn the iPad into a laptop’.
    Says who? It's a computer, it sits in your lap. That's a laptop computer. 

Funny that as the capabilities of the iPad increase, the supposed requirements for what a computer is also increase. (Ignoring that the original DOS PCs or Macintosh couldn't meet many of those requirements either! lol)
    My iPhone sits in my palm. It's a Palm!
    razorpitFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 29 of 48
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    gatorguy said:
    DAalseth said:

Earlier today a government report was leaked indicating the pandemic may extend out 18 months and not just until this summer. Take it for what it's worth. 

EDIT: Link to an Ars article about it. 
    https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/03/us-govt-expects-18-month-pandemic-with-widespread-supply-shortages/
    Thanks for posting that.

The pandemic will not be over until there is a widely available vaccine, or less likely, until there is herd immunity from the spread of the virus.
    dysamoriabeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 48
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    "Me scrolling past the iPad Pro news and its overpriced accessories because I am more concerned about providing ESSENTIALS for my family during this PANDEMIC. "

but it was ESSENTIAL to complain about what you cannot/will not buy? essentially you could be spending time with your family by not avoiding them while posting a rant. essentially doing anything else would have been more productive (as I cringe at the ironic hypocrisy and hit post comment).

cat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 48
    firelockfirelock Posts: 238member
    My wallet is ready! I am all-in on the iPad Pro and $300 doesn’t bother me in the slightest for what it is delivering.

-sent from my iPad Pro
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 48
    No AppleInsider, full mouse and trackpad support does not ‘turn the iPad into a laptop’.

Considering that it appears to actually be usable on your lap, as opposed to a Surface Pro, I'd say it will be more of a laptop than the Surface Pro is!
    watto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 33 of 48
    darinbdarinb Posts: 8member
    Well, I don't have a newer iPad Pro nor will I probably get this one--but, damn, that's a nice keyboard. Assuming it is good as it looks, then, wow--protection all around, a stand that you can adjust, a real backlit keyboard, full-sized and with a quality feel (never liked those other iPad keyboard cases), track pad built-in, attaches vis a magnet--and I can charge via the stand and use external hard drives at the same time without a hub? $350 for the bigger model? Hell, yes.
    edited March 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 48
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    While I believe it looks and seems quite superior to the surface pro type cover, it is basically twice the price. Twice the price!

dysamoria
  • Reply 35 of 48
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    People stop arguing, who cares about the price, it is unlikely Apple sell many of these anyway.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    dysamoria said:
    As an owner of the first generation iPad Pro, I have a need for a replacement keyboard soonish. The original keyboard is in poor shape because it was made badly (letters started rubbing off in the first three months and I stupidly didn’t take it right back to Apple when I first noticed). Plus, the behavior of the keyboard is getting worse and I’m not sure why.

It sure won’t be this new one because it’s not compatible with the original iPad Pro. Shocker. 

But also... that price. No way can I justify that. I’m still waiting for Apple to sell a non-thermally-throttled desktop computer that hobbyists and other non-plutocrats can afford. A 350$ keyboard with a new iPad Pro isn’t even pinging the needle on my “should I buy?” meter.
    As has been explained every time it comes up, most all laptops and desktops are thermally throttled. Intel processors in any computer get hot, and the computer adjusts down. It's not some grand Apple conspiracy to victimize you.
    I don’t want a laptop for that very reason. Nor a Mac mini or iMac. I said desktop, and I don’t mean a compact all-in-one. Get out of the Apple scope. There’re still full-sized computers in the world, and no, “almost all” aren’t thermally throttled, unless there’s a bad design or a fault. Apple should be making one that doesn’t start at plutocrat prices.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    revenant said:
    "Me scrolling past the iPad Pro news and its overpriced accessories because I am more concerned about providing ESSENTIALS for my family during this PANDEMIC. "

but it was ESSENTIAL to complain about what you cannot/will not buy? essentially you could be spending time with your family by not avoiding them while posting a rant. essentially doing anything else would have been more productive (as I cringe at the ironic hypocrisy and hit post comment).
    Oh yeah, it takes so much time away from family to make a tweet... [rolls eyes]
  • Reply 38 of 48
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 495member
    There is a fine line between price and usefulness. Apple has pretty much always marketed to high end consumers who have the means to appreciate quality and just make the purchase. As for me my most advanced model is an iPad 7. The Logitech keyboard/trackpad looks nice but with several MBP’s I really don’t need it. For me the iPad is a hold in your hands device. Today more than ever the sweet spot is the new MacBook Air.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 48
    dysamoria said:
    dysamoria said:

I don’t want a laptop for that very reason. Nor a Mac mini or iMac. I said desktop, and I don’t mean a compact all-in-one. Get out of the Apple scope. There’re still full-sized computers in the world, and no, “almost all” aren’t thermally throttled, unless there’s a bad design or a fault. Apple should be making one that doesn’t start at plutocrat prices.
    Uh, yes, they do. Intel's Core x86 processors employ throttling for thermal reasons. Even desktops. Read it and weep, son:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000029868/processors/intel-core-processors.html

https://www.curtisswrightds.com/infocenter/white-papers/understanding-intel-processor-throttling-for-defense-applications.html

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/at-what-temperature-does-thermal-throttling-happends-intel-cpu.1804831/

...again, Apple is not victimizing you. 

cat52watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 40 of 48
    red oak said:
    I’m sorry.  Is your argument “I did not save anything for a rainy day so Apple should lower prices?”

No. This is obviously addressed in the article. 
    I got the impression that the OP was addressing the attitude in that first mentioned tweet, not the article itself.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra