Apple launches $350 iPad keyboard amid pandemic-fueled recession

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2020
Apple on Wednesday released a new iPad Pro Magic Keyboard with Trackpad, and its price tag is causing a bit of a stir among users and fans.

Apple's new Magic Keyboard with Trackpad retails for between $300 and $350, depending on model.
Apple's new Magic Keyboard with Trackpad retails for between $300 and $350, depending on model.

The accessory costs $300 for the 11-inch iPad Pro and $350 for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro. That's not exactly cheap, and seems especially ill-advised in the midst of a potential recession.

There's more to the story than its price point. Whether there's enough to justify the cost, however, remains to be seen.

A $350 accessory in a time of crisis

Under normal circumstances, a keyboard accessory with such a high price tag might have elicited an eye roll, or perhaps the usual reaction that Apple products attract from critics. In the midst of the coronavirus outbreak, it comes across a bit tone-deaf.

Me scrolling past the iPad Pro news and its overpriced accessories because I am more concerned about providing ESSENTIALS for my family during this PANDEMIC.

pic.twitter.com/FEAZxf2HuZ

-- Jeff (@jeffundmg)

Pricing the new Magic Keyboard case to other options doesn't make things seem any better. A standard Bluetooth Magic Keyboard is $99 in the U.S. A Magic Trackpad is $129. While not as convenient, that's still $80 cheaper for what is essentially the same core technology.

Brydge also made waves last year with the debut of its own third-party trackpad keyboard accessory. While it's not currently available for purchase, the Brydge Pro+ with trackpad retails for $199.99 and $229.99 for the 11-inch and 12.9-inch versions, respectively.

All of this has contributed to some less-than-stellar reactions about the new Magic Keyboard, despite the fact that it's introducing novel capabilities for Apple's tablets.

The keyboard is WAAAYY too much... but I'll do it as long as it works with my current iPad Pro.. man $350 is just a lot..

-- Rick Boyett (@RickBoyett)

Was onboard until I just saw the price - fudge that.

-- Jack Whiting (@jackabox)

Is the iPad Pro Magic Keyboard with trackpad worth the cost?

To be clear, Apple iPad keyboards have never necessarily been "cheap." The previous Smart Keyboard Folio is priced at $179 and $199 for the 11-inch and 12.9-inch models, respectively.

The new Magic Keyboards aren't just keyboards with a trackpad attached to them, either. They do feature a floating hinge design that's unlike anything else currently on the market. That may turn out to be a key point.

The Apple Pro Stand also stirred some understandable outrage for its price point. Behind that outrage was a lack of understanding about the careful and meticulous design of the accessory. Something similar is probably happening here.

Let's not forget that Apple's trackpads are widely considered the best in the business, even among Windows laptop users. While we haven't had our hands on the new iPad Magic Keyboard, there's a good chance that it'll offer a similar level of functionality.

That'll probably place it well ahead of cheaper iPad trackpad options, like the ones from Brydge. It's not clear if most third-party trackpads will feature support for Apple's signature gestures, and we'll see about that with the fullness of time.

The bigger picture

What many seemed to have missed is just how profound of a change Apple has made to iPadOS.
What many seemed to have missed is just how profound of a change Apple has made to iPadOS.

Ultimately, what this appears to be is a good, old-fashioned case of bad timing. When Apple was developing trackpad support and its new Magic Keyboard, the COVID-19 outbreak was likely a tiny blip on the radar and not the market-crashing pandemic it is today.

Even as Apple Stores across the globe shut down and many Apple employees are told to shelter-in-place, the gears of the company's product release timeline have to continue grinding on.

But it's easy to miss the broader picture in times like these. When it comes to iPadOS, Apple just made what is likely to be one of the most significant changes ever to its tablet ecosystem. The iPad Pro is now, essentially, a laptop.

And, again, the retail price doesn't just include the price of a trackpad and keyboard. Apple is slated to sell Logitech-made trackpad keyboards for under $150, at least $50 less than the aforementioned Brydge counterparts.

Seen in a vacuum, we're not excited about that $350 price tag for the Apple keyboard. We like what it brings to the table, but a keyboard that costs more than the 10.2-inch iPad seems tone-deaf. There may be sales on it, there may not. It may come down in price, like the HomePod did after a while, and it may not.

We'd wager that, beyond that single, overpriced, accessory, the wider changes to iPadOS and Apple's iPad ecosystem are going to end up being much more significant in the long run.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    I’m sorry.  Is your argument “I did not save anything for a rainy day so Apple should lower prices?”

lkruppStrangeDaysSpamSandwichjony0doozydozenbeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 48
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Much too expensive for me, but hey, not everyone earns a normal salary. 
    kitatit
  • Reply 3 of 48
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    We have commenting guidelines for a reason. If you can't see your comment, it's time to review them again.
    chasm
  • Reply 4 of 48
    red oak said:
    I’m sorry.  Is your argument “I did not save anything for a rainy day so Apple should lower prices?”

No. This is obviously addressed in the article. 
  • Reply 5 of 48
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    I’ll wait for a third party to make one just as good if not better for way less. No, I’m not being cheap, I have the highest spec iPad Pro and iPhone. Keyboard with trackpad is what I’ve been wanting but only for occasional use. I’ll save my money for buying more Apple stock soon at a huge discount. 
    kitatit
  • Reply 6 of 48
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Anyone being forced to buy this? I thought not. Then why the tone-deaf comment? Should Apple just not have released the product until the economy recovers... which could be years? Just keep it on the shelf indefinitely until social media says it's okay to release at that price? Oh, I get it, release the product at half the price so Apple can appear to be a good world citizen in this time of 'crisis'. 

A local radio host was blathering on how it is the responsibility of those who have reserve cash to spend it to help those who don't have any cash keep their jobs. So shouldn't we idle rich be buying this new product in droves to help in this time of global panic?
    wlymGG1StrangeDaysjony0doozydozenviclauyycjstaggiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 48
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    No AppleInsider, full mouse and trackpad support does not ‘turn the iPad into a laptop’.
    dysamoriakitatit
  • Reply 8 of 48
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 496member
    It’s a muddy area.
    kitatit
  • Reply 9 of 48
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    As an owner of the first generation iPad Pro, I have a need for a replacement keyboard soonish. The original keyboard is in poor shape because it was made badly (letters started rubbing off in the first three months and I stupidly didn’t take it right back to Apple when I first noticed). Plus, the behavior of the keyboard is getting worse and I’m not sure why.

It sure won’t be this new one because it’s not compatible with the original iPad Pro. Shocker. 

But also... that price. No way can I justify that. I’m still waiting for Apple to sell a non-thermally-throttled desktop computer that hobbyists and other non-plutocrats can afford. A 350$ keyboard with a new iPad Pro isn’t even pinging the needle on my “should I buy?” meter.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    First: I don’t know where you all are getting this $350 price, I’ve even seen some people claiming $399. I just went to appledotcom and checked and it is listed at $299. Still steep, but lets stick to facts here. 

Second: You know you all are going to talk yourself into a major economic disaster if you keep this up. I even read a comment about how the Magic Keyboard was stupid for Apple to release because we were entering the next Great Depression that would last ten years. That’s just dumb.  Yes we are in for a few months of rough waters. A lot of entertainment and tourism businesses and staff will have a rough go of it. But overall this is a short term, a few months at most, problem. By summer, August at the very outside things will be getting back to normal. I work for a manufacturing company. We are shipping industrial equipment at a record pace. All of our vendors are reporting the same thing. Grocers are saying over and over that there are enough foodstuffs, cleaning supplies, even TP in the warehouses and being made to meet everyone’s needs. Clear shelves right now are due to stupid people buying stuff for stupid reasons. Indeed, the only people getting severely impacted by this are those that rely on big crowds of people. OMG the NCAAs are cancelled, itls the end of the world. 

However, if everyone convinces themselves we are in the middle of a huge economic disaster, well they might just bring it on. Yes there are problems, but they are short term. This too shall pass. By this time next year we will look back on Covid-19 as an experience, but that’s all.
    StrangeDaysjony0viclauyyccypresscat52watto_cobraFileMakerFellerchasm
  • Reply 11 of 48
    DAalseth said:
    First: I don’t know where you all are getting this $350 price, I’ve even seen some people claiming $399. I just went to appledotcom and checked and it is listed at $299. Still steep, but lets stick to facts here. 

Second: You know you all are going to talk yourself into a major economic disaster if you keep this up. I even read a comment about how the Magic Keyboard was stupid for Apple to release because we were entering the next Great Depression that would last ten years. That’s just dumb.  Yes we are in for a few months of rough waters. A lot of entertainment and tourism businesses and staff will have a rough go of it. But overall this is a short term, a few months at most, problem. By summer, August at the very outside things will be getting back to normal. I work for a manufacturing company. We are shipping industrial equipment at a record pace. All of our vendors are reporting the same thing. Grocers are saying over and over that there are enough foodstuffs, cleaning supplies, even TP in the warehouses and being made to meet everyone’s needs. Clear shelves right now are due to stupid people buying stuff for stupid reasons. Indeed, the only people getting severely impacted by this are those that rely on big crowds of people. OMG the NCAAs are cancelled, itls the end of the world. 

However, if everyone convinces themselves we are in the middle of a huge economic disaster, well they might just bring it on. Yes there are problems, but they are short term. This too shall pass. By this time next year we will look back on Covid-19 as an experience, but that’s all.
    $299.99 for the 11-inch, $349.99 for the 12.9-inch.
    edited March 2020 caladaniandoozydozenmwhite
  • Reply 12 of 48
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    I’ll wait for a third party to make one just as good if not better for way less. No, I’m not being cheap, I have the highest spec iPad Pro and iPhone. Keyboard with trackpad is what I’ve been wanting but only for occasional use. I’ll save my money for buying more Apple stock soon at a huge discount. 

They reference this one in the article..

Looks good... but the floating cantilever design by Apple allowing the iPad to connect magnetically and be adjusted for use looks amazing. Looks way more robust that the old design.
    DAalseth said:

Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro 11‑inch (2nd generation) - US English

$299.00

Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro 12.9‑inch (4th generation) - US English

$349.00

watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 48
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    These products are months or years in the making. I don't think Apple's tone-deaf by releasing them on a schedule that was decided months ago. If nobody buys them, fine. The alternative is that they sit in a warehouse somewhere while people complain that Apple isn't releasing anything new. Releasing on schedule was the better choice.
    randominternetpersonGG1StrangeDayspscooter63mwhiteviclauyycMisterKitjstaggiecat52beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 14 of 48
    pmb01pmb01 Posts: 25member
    I feel like people are missing things here. For one, the keyboard has its own USB-C port for charging, meaning the port on the iPad is free for say, hooking up an external display or hard drive. Charging through the Smart Connector is something we've been waiting for them to utilize since it was introduced. Also, this keyboard looks a lot nicer to use than the one on the smart folio case. And that hinge looks pretty awesome if it works well in the real world! The price may be a bit steep for a keyboard, but you're getting a lot more than what others offer!
    macplusplusrandominternetpersonSpamSandwichmwhitecat52watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 15 of 48
    Fair or not, the market for these are white collar professionals (like myself) who will be working the usual schedule for the usual salary during this terribly disruptive period.  Yes it sucks that millions of people are facing devastating financial hardship in the coming months, but Apple isn't marketing the iPad Pro and the optional keyboard to those people.  Twitter is going to have a ball with this, but in the end it's just free advertising for Apple.  I for one hope to see some of these showing up in the office (when we get back to normal).  I see plenty of (personal) MacBooks, (personal) Windows tablets, and (company provided) Dell Laptops in every meeting, but no iPads.  This keyboard may (or may not) change that.
    StrangeDaysSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 48
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    This editorial opinion describes the release of these products as "seems especially ill-advised." I would really like to know what the author thinks Apple should have done instead. Can we have clarification on this point? What should Apple have done? Claiming something is ill-advised implies there was a better solution. 
    StrangeDaysMisterKitjstaggiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 48
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    DAalseth said:

Earlier today a government report was leaked indicating the pandemic may extend out 18 months and not just until this summer. Take it for what it's worth. 

EDIT: Link to an Ars article about it. 
    https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/03/us-govt-expects-18-month-pandemic-with-widespread-supply-shortages/
    edited March 2020 jstaggie
  • Reply 18 of 48
    DAalseth said:

You are wrong. Yes it does cost $299 for the 11" iPad, but the 12.9" iPad version does cost $349, which is close enough to $350 and will actually cost over $350 after you add in sales tax.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    "I am more concerned about providing ESSENTIALS for my family during this PANDEMIC."

But, no one is forcing this guy to buy it! It's a computing tool. Do you need the tool? Cool, there it is. Do you not? No problem, there's not a gun to your head. 

Same problem with this argument at any time...no one has to buy expensive computing equipment just because it's been released. Should we complain about the cost of luxury goods? Diamonds, gold...?
    edited March 2020 jstaggiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 48
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member

No AppleInsider, full mouse and trackpad support does not ‘turn the iPad into a laptop’.
    Says who? It's a computer, it sits in your lap. That's a laptop computer. 

Funny that as the capabilities of the iPad increase, the supposed requirements for what a computer is also increase. (Ignoring that the original DOS PCs or Macintosh couldn't meet many of those requirements either! lol)
    mwhitejstaggiewatto_cobra