Apple to use mini LED backlighting in late 2020 iPad Pro

Posted:
in General Discussion
Doubling down on previous reports, supply chain sources say that Apple plans to move to using mini LED display technology in its next iPad Pro, due in the fourth quarter of 2020.

Following previous similar claims, a new supply chain report says that Apple will utilize mini LED in an iPad Pro to be released toward the end of 2020. The source further claims that this is only the start of Apple adopting this display technology, as the company aims to increasingly deploy it over the next five years.

According Digitimes, industry sources are saying that LED firms are expanding their production and packaging capacity ahead of Apple's orders.

This news of future production fits with analyst Ming-Chi Kuo's recent prediction that Apple will launch six products using Mini LED in 2020.

The Digitimes report claims that Apple is showing a preference for Mini LED over the OLED used in iPhones, for what it describes as the company's medium-size devices. It also claims that Apple is proceeding with further research and development to do with the use of mini LED.

Unlike the separate Micro LED, which forms a display's image, Mini LED is used as the backlighting to LCD panels. It has the extra benefit, though, that when mounted onto the right substrate, it can be used in flexible or even folding devices.

Digitimes further reports that suppliers are increasing shipments for Apple's newly announced iPad Pro. It says that the supply chain is expecting around 40% greater demand in the second quarter of 2020.

This publication has a generally good reputation for the quality of its supply chain sources, but a much poorer one when it comes to specific features or Apple's product plans.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    Put 5G and MiniLED in it and I’ll buy.  This single technology update at a time thing is getting old, particularly for a company that used to be on the bleeding edge.
    bux21GG1jdiamond
  • Reply 2 of 26
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,344member
    BittySon said:
    Put 5G and MiniLED in it and I’ll buy.  This single technology update at a time thing is getting old, particularly for a company that used to be on the bleeding edge.
    I would think that Apple will ship 5G with a 5nm SOC, so another iPad Pro this year seems very aggressive.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 26
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    If iPad gets Mini LED in 2020 than in 2021 redesigned Macbook laptops will have Mini led.
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 26
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 618member
    BittySon said:
    Everyone gets worked over 5G in iPads and MacBooks. While convenient it’s not necessary if you have an iPhone. I would not let lack of 5G  be a concern since the rollout is crawling. We will be stuck with LTE for several more years except in major metropolitan areas. 
    chasmjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Two iPad Pro's, in one year? I don't see that happening. 
    randominternetpersonjdb8167chasmnetrox1983watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 26

Tell that to Macbook Pro 15 users....

rundhviddoozydozenmatteblack13ne1
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Yeah there is no way that’s happening. Especially not THIS year with all the turmoil and challenges. 

I’m sure Apple is thrilled with this rumor on the heels of this weeks rollout. 
    SpamSandwichchasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 26

A spec-bump isn’t a “new” model the way the new iPad Pro is (with the lidar addition among other improvements). 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    DigiTimes = Unreliable
    1983watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 26
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I doubt that dating. Early next year most likely.
    SpamSandwichStrangeDayschasm1983watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 26
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    Or iPad users. ;)

The iPad 3rd gen with Retina display came out in March 2012. The iPad 4th gen with the A6X and Lightning came out six months later in October. The iPad 3rd gen is the 2nd worst iPad model (1st gen is the worst), possibly the worst, because the A5X chip didn't have enough performance to drive the Retina display. It was good enough, but not great at it.

Six months later, Apple shipped the iPad 4th gen with A6X that was basically double the compute performance, and powerful enough to drive the display properly.

I'm holding out for 8 GB RAM and miniLED. If I'm spending $1500 on a computer, it really should be something I want.
    canukstorm1983
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Roca91Roca91 Posts: 3member
    Will they be brighter? Because currently I have to use my iPad for work frequently outdoors in full sunlight and the screens are NOT BRIGHT ENOUGH.
    netrox1983watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 26
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    BittySon said:
    Apple actually is not known for being on the bleeding edge of new features. We’ve seen this time and again with LTE, NFC, OLED, etc. Apple usually isn’t first to implement, but when they do, do it in novel or interesting ways. 

In other ways they drive new innovation, but with underlying technology such as screen substrates, etc. The less sexy stuff to normal consumers but innovative nonetheless. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 26
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    Roca91 said:
    Will they be brighter? Because currently I have to use my iPad for work frequently outdoors in full sunlight and the screens are NOT BRIGHT ENOUGH.
    Get a parasol.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 26
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    DigiTimes = Unreliable
    DigiTimes is always a red flag for me.

BittySon said:
    Put 5G and MiniLED in it and I’ll buy. 
    Keep your 5G (when true 5G ever gets here) and put microLED in it and I'll buy.

My current iPP will last me until it just doesn't work. Then I'll consider whatever Apple might be offering. MiniLED doesn't move me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 26
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,305member
    DigiTimes is just parroting Kuo. Both are very likely to be wrong.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 26
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    If this iPad Pro with miniLED comes out this Fall, don't be surprised if it has a $1200 or $1300 starting price. Maybe it will be a curve ball and end up being a non-Pro iPad for $650, but if it is an iPad Pro, and has miniLED and say an A14X, $1300.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 26

A spec-bump isn’t a “new” model the way the new iPad Pro is (with the lidar addition among other improvements). 

Macbook Pro 15 to Macbook Pro 16 was more than a standard spec bump unlike Macbook Pro 15 2018 -> 2019 was a spec bump.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 26
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    tht said:
    Or iPad users. ;)

The iPad 3rd gen with Retina display came out in March 2012. The iPad 4th gen with the A6X and Lightning came out six months later in October. The iPad 3rd gen is the 2nd worst iPad model (1st gen is the worst), possibly the worst, because the A5X chip didn't have enough performance to drive the Retina display. It was good enough, but not great at it.

Six months later, Apple shipped the iPad 4th gen with A6X that was basically double the compute performance, and powerful enough to drive the display properly.

I'm holding out for 8 GB RAM and miniLED. If I'm spending $1500 on a computer, it really should be something I want.
    Amen to that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 26
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    If this info is actually true, still have my doubts...maybe it’ll be called the iPad Pro 12.9” Plus, or something like that to separate it from the recently released updated iPad Pro’s. Likely an addition to the range rather than a replacement. And I bet it’ll be incredibly expensive too!