Magic Keyboard teardown reveals 'elegant' lever-based trackpad

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2020
Repair site iFixit has completed a preliminary teardown of the trackpad on the iPad Pro Magic Keyboard and revealed a few interesting details about the accessory.

The Magic Keyboard trackpad's lever system. Credit: iFixit
The Magic Keyboard trackpad's lever system. Credit: iFixit

Due to the coronavirus, iFixit hasn't been able to complete a full teardown of the new Magic Keyboard accessory. But earlier in May, the site did share a series of X-ray photographs revealing the innards of the device.

Since the so-called X-ray teardown, the folks at iFixit were actually able to deconstruct the trackpad of the Magic Keyboard with just a "little bit of heat and an opening pick."

Once they got past the adhesive holding the assembly down, they discovered that the trackpad is actually just a single button with an "elegant lever system." Previously, iFixit theorized that the trackpad featured multiple physical buttons.

"When you apply pressure near the center, whether top, middle, or bottom-center, you are directly pressing the button," iFixit writes. "Press near the top, bottom, or one of the corners, however, and the lever system comes into play."

That lever mechanism actually forces the contact plate in the center upward, which results in a click. The site also notes that the lever system covers the perimeter of the trackpad as well as the corner areas. Unlike most trackpads, the switch and circuitry are embedded in the assembly's top section instead of the accessory's chassis. This design change allows for an even distribution of input points across the entire trackpad surface area.

The site notes that the trackpad appears to be the only part that can be disassembled without major deconstruction of the Magic Keyboard. Because of that, the site says it's likely the last teardown they can carry out until a full repair guide is written.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    robjnrobjn Posts: 280member
    iFixit misunderstand how this mechanism works.

When they push in the corner it lifts in the middle - but this is only because there is no trackpad attached. 

When the trackpad is assembled it cannot lift in the middle, what will happen is that the entire trackpad will go down in a way that feels very stable.

This is very similar to the butterfly hinges on those now infamous keyboards.
    pascal007razorpitforgot usernamewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    robjn said:
    iFixit misunderstand how this mechanism works.

When they push in the corner it lifts in the middle - but this is only because there is no trackpad attached. 

When the trackpad is assembled it cannot lift in the middle, what will happen is that the entire trackpad will go down in a way that feels very stable.

This is very similar to the butterfly hinges on those now infamous keyboards.
    Oh, great - now we have a butterfly trackpad! :tongue: 
    razorpit
  • Reply 3 of 6
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    The new Magic Keyboard is the best Apple accessory I’ve ever owned.
    cornchiprazorpitforgot usernameF_Kent_Dwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    bluefire1 said:
    Wow!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    bluefire1 said:
    Fo’ real? It looks really nice. Unfortunately I have the second generation iPad Pro that has the smart connector “in the wrong spot”. I pretty much use my iPad more with Apple’s original Bluetooth keyboard and second generation Magic Mouse. I could see where this would be nice.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Having used my new Magic Keyboard now for a few weeks, I can state it is superb in every function. 

The trackpad is excellent at tracking, and when I click anywhere on it, the feel is consistent and very positive (but I use tap-to-click most of the time). As evidenced by teardown and such, Apple spent A LOT of time and energy making this part of the MK work magnificently. Maybe at some point in the not-so-distant future, potential customers will be able to put their hands on it at an Apple Store and see for themselves how well this keyboard assembly works. 

The Magic Keyboard is well worth its price. 

watto_cobra