Tidal update brings Dolby Atmos music to the Apple TV 4K

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2020
Music and entertainment streaming platform Tidal will be bringing Dolby Atmos Music to the Apple TV 4K, soundbars, and select smart televisions.

Tidal update brings Dolby Atmos Music to the Apple TV 4K

To get the update, users will need to have a Dolby Atmos-enabled devices to a compatible streaming player, have an active subscription to Tidal HiFi, and make sure their Tidal app is updated to the most recent version.

The Apple TV 4K, which supports Dolby Atmos, should get the update soon as the service will be rolling out over the next few days.

Other compatible devices include Amazon's Fire TV Stick 4K, Fire TV Cube, Fire TV Stick (second generation), Fire TV (third generation), and Nvidia's Shield TV and Shield TV Pro. The Tidal app is also available on Dolby Atmos-enabled Android TVs from Sony and Philips.

Tidal HiFi is a subscription service that allows users to stream master-quality audio for $19.99 per month. Tidal occasionally gains exclusive rights to audio streaming and has hosted artists like Daft Punk, Beyonce, Jay-Z, Damien Marley, deadmau5, Jack White, Madonna, and Nicki Minaj in the past.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    The name is TIDAL, all caps.  

TIDAL already allows a surround sound processor to mix the sound for many albums to give a more expansive sound (I hate that overly used word immersive). It works quite well, going through my Oppo UHD 205 and Roon music server software.  The albums don’t need to have Dolby anything.  The software and hardware does the mix.  It is usually done tastefully and subtlety keeping most of the sound up front and adding in some sound to the other speakers to give it more of a concert hall feel.  I love how it works.  
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 2 of 6
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 693member
    Finally! My go-to format to stream music is Dolby Atmos. The days of suffering through stereo are over!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,865administrator
    As a general rule, unless the name is an acronym, we won't do the all-caps, in accordance with AP and Chicago guidelines.
    chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,315member
    Gotta hand it to Tidal, they've managed to stay alive longer than I expected -- basically by giving away the store since they're funded by billionaires. There is no way it is making any money, however, and there is no way that will be allowed to continue for long.

Then again, Neil Young's Pono crap also lasted longer than I expected ... I'm probably not giving enough credit to tax loopholes and credits that bolster money-losing businesses ...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,017member
    Atmos selections are fairly limited, but there’s enough there to play around with, including a number of albums from the Blue Note label. It really does put the performances right there in the room with you.  This is no Pono gimmick. Dolby Atmos is an object-oriented surround sound format that places sounds in three dimensions.  

I only hope that Atmos will come to Apple Music, preferably before this Tidal 60-day trial runs out.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,268member

TIDAL already allows a surround sound processor to mix the sound for many albums to give a more expansive sound (I hate that overly used word immersive). It works quite well, going through my Oppo UHD 205 and Roon music server software.  The albums don’t need to have Dolby anything.  The software and hardware does the mix.  It is usually done tastefully and subtlety keeping most of the sound up front and adding in some sound to the other speakers to give it more of a concert hall feel.  I love how it works.  

You mean something like Dolby Pro Logic?